How we can save our poster boy the trapper [rough draft, not final].

Greetings! I love trapper, he is always going to be one of my mains, he is very satisfying 5o play. However, he is the most hit or miss killer in the game. He can only win when survivors make mistakes and can be easily countered. First of all OoO shouldn't work on him as it renders his power useless if a swf has comms. I also suggest a new add-on. It is ultra rare, basically what it does is, wherever you place your trap, it blends in with whatever color the ground is that you placed it on. I also think the trapper should start with at least 3 traps for setup as one of his biggest weaknesses is having to go around the map to pick up traps. I think this can help my trappy friend quite a bit and make him more viable at the red and purple ranks. What are your thoughts?

Comments

  • I gonna say I are totally agree with u, I was thinking the same things like u, bloody coil add on need to be part or their kit...


    +1

  • @JAZC_CR said:

    I gonna say I are totally agree with u, I was thinking the same things like u, bloody coil add on need to be part or their kit...

    +1

    Yeah, I think survivors need some type of punishment for disarming traps.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349415#Comment_1349415

    Yeah, I think survivors need some type of punishment for disarming traps.

    I hope you're kidding.

  • If you think revealing their location is punishment in any scenario besides the end game, I don't know what to say, please elaborate.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349421#Comment_1349421

    If you think revealing their location is punishment in any scenario besides the end game, I don't know what to say, please elaborate.

    I'm questioning why survivors should be punished for countering his power in the first place. What's the thought process here? They did something right, so they should be punished?

  • There is no reason he shouldn't start with all his traps (and be able to pick up a maximum of 2-3 after that).

    @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349415#Comment_1349415

    Yeah, I think survivors need some type of punishment for disarming traps.

    I agree. When they disarm, Chuck Norris should come out from behind the nearest wall and literally stare at them until they die.

  • I'm all for a trapper buff as he is the killer with the most counters (not counting the general killer counters ie 360), but this is just too much.

    In my opinion, he should start with 2 traps base and the add-on that darkens his traps (the weaker one).

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349426#Comment_1349426

    I'm questioning why survivors should be punished for countering his power in the first place. What's the thought process here? They did something right, so they should be punished?

    That counter is way too easy for trapper, he can be rendered completely useless and resetting takes too long with how the generator speeds are right now, sure they disarmed the trap, but I think they should be injured to make him a bit more strong.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    Greetings! I love trapper, he is always going to be one of my mains, he is very satisfying 5o play. However, he is the most hit or miss killer in the game. He can only win when survivors make mistakes and can be easily countered. First of all OoO shouldn't work on him as it renders his power useless if a swf has comms. Traps can also get disarmed too easily so I think the bloody cool add-on should be part of his base kit, to punish survivors for disarming traps more. As for the add-on, change it so that if a survivor disarms the trap they are afflicted with the mangled and broken status effects. I also suggest a new add-on. It is ultra rare, basically what it does is, wherever you place your trap, it blends in with whatever color the ground is that you placed it on. I also think the trapper should start with at least 4 traps for setup as one of his biggest weaknesses is having to go around the map to pick up traps. I think this can help my trappy friend quite a bit and make him more viable at the red and purple ranks. What are your thoughts?

    trapper mainly just need to have a base starting of atleast 2 addition traps in hand, maybe make the darking yellow add-on base and for sure either move all his traps to lockers to refill with a max set of how many are allowed to be placed at one time ( older ones will despawn if you go over limit) Or just move all his traps to the center of the map. The biggest issue is how much time he wastes getting and picking up his traps around the map. Otherwise trapper is mainly fine, people just play him entirely wrong, you're not a killer whos suppose to roam around the entire map chasing survs, you set up an area around 3-4 gens you want to protect and keep that area trapped, it makes a major difference, i play trapper plenty at higher ranks and easily 3-4k every game. The only other problem i can think of is that fact there are 2 perks that hard counter trapper that survs can use, one being object(which is honestly just a toxic perk and needs to go) and small game which very few people use these days since it only is good against trapper and finding totems

  • @FabsRinas said:

    I'm all for a trapper buff as he is the killer with the most counters (not counting the general killer counters ie 360), but this is just too much.

    In my opinion, he should start with 2 traps base and the add-on that darkens his traps (the weaker one).

    Starting with 2 traps would be nice, but it doesn't fix him as a killer, as he can still be rendered useless by a 4 man swf with object of obsession.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349434#Comment_1349434

    Starting with 2 traps would be nice, but it doesn't fix him as a killer, as he can still be rendered useless by a 4 man swf with object of obsession.

    Make him have a bigger TR than the average killer, I guess.

  • @BlazeNightash said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/160743/how-we-can-save-our-poster-boy-the-trapper

    trapper mainly just need to have a base starting of atleast 2 addition traps in hand, maybe make the darking yellow add-on base and for sure either move all his traps to lockers to refill with a max set of how many are allowed to be placed at one time ( older ones will despawn if you go over limit) Or just move all his traps to the center of the map. The biggest issue is how much time he wastes getting and picking up his traps around the map. Otherwise trapper is mainly fine, people just play him entirely wrong, you're not a killer whos suppose to roam around the entire map chasing survs, you set up an area around 3-4 gens you want to protect and keep that area trapped, it makes a major difference, i play trapper plenty at higher ranks and easily 3-4k every game. The only other problem i can think of is that fact there are 2 perks that hard counter trapper that survs can use, one being object(which is honestly just a toxic perk and needs to go) and small game which very few people use these days since it only is good against trapper and finding totems

    Very good points, I think if they fixed object he would be fine, along with some other tweaks.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349434#Comment_1349434

    Starting with 2 traps would be nice, but it doesn't fix him as a killer, as he can still be rendered useless by a 4 man swf with object of obsession.

    i mean alot of killers can be rendered useless against a 4 man with object, its a very bad perk to have in game because it can feed info to more than just the one person if they're on comms, but i have beaten 4mans without object with trapper

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349428#Comment_1349428

    That counter is way too easy for trapper, he can be rendered completely useless and resetting takes too long with how the generator speeds are right now, sure they disarmed the trap, but I think they should be injured to make him a bit more strong.

    I could not disagree more if I tried. There is absolutely no reason to punish survivors for countering a killer's power. The power is the punishment for failure, countering is supposed to prevent it.

  • @FabsRinas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349450#Comment_1349450

    Make him have a bigger TR than the average killer, I guess.

    I think object shouldn't work on trapper at all, and a terror radius increase wouldn't really help.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349451#Comment_1349451

    I think object shouldn't work on trapper at all, and a terror radius increase wouldn't really help.

    object doesn't need to be in the game in general, its a terrible perk design

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349451#Comment_1349451

    I think object shouldn't work on trapper at all, and a terror radius increase wouldn't really help.

    Im just saying reasonable things the devs COULD consider, but I get what you mean.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349441#Comment_1349441

    I could not disagree more if I tried. There is absolutely no reason to punish survivors for countering a killer's power. The power is the punishment for failure, countering is supposed to prevent it.

    Good points, but tell me, do you think a 4 man swf with OoO disarming every trap around you without punishment is ok? Survivors shouldn't be able to watch your aura at all times whilst you are placing traps.That counter is absolutely too strong and needs some risk to disarming the trap.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349456#Comment_1349456

    Good points, but tell me, do you think a 4 man swf with OoO disarming every trap around you without punishment is ok? Survivors shouldn't be able to watch your aura at all times whilst you are placing traps.That counter is absolutely too strong and needs some risk to disarming the trap.

    again the perk just needs to go, its unhealthy no reason to punish people for disarming traps that are poorly placed, can't just build a character around just 4man swfs with OoO,

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349456#Comment_1349456

    Good points, but tell me, do you think a 4 man swf with OoO disarming every trap around you without punishment is ok? Survivors shouldn't be able to watch your aura at all times whilst you are placing traps.That counter is absolutely too strong and needs some risk to disarming the trap.

    4-man SWF with OoO is a whole other can of worms and has nothing to do with this thread. Bottom line, you can't punish players for countering something, especially in a way that renders the counter pointless.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349468#Comment_1349468

    4-man SWF with OoO is a whole other can of worms and has nothing to do with this thread. Bottom line, you can't punish players for countering something, especially in a way that renders the counter pointless.

    4 man swf with OoO does have something to do with this because with that setup, they can watch your aura, tell their team where the traps are and disarm them all, however I think I can settle with just nerfing OoO so survivors can't see trap killers. Also I forgot to mention, survivors with maps can also render your power useless. So I think I have changed my mind, maybe don't give him bloody cool, just change OoO.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349479#Comment_1349479

    4 man swf with OoO does have something to do with this because with that setup, they can watch your aura, tell their team where the traps are and disarm them all, however I think I can settle with just nerfing OoO so survivors can't see trap killers. Also I forgot to mention, survivors with maps can also render your power useless. So I think I have changed my mind, maybe don't give him bloody cool, just change OoO.

    4-man SWF with OoO doesn't have anything to do with this because that applies to every killer, not just the Trapper.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349489#Comment_1349489

    4-man SWF with OoO doesn't have anything to do with this because that applies to every killer, not just the Trapper.

    It doesn't punish killers as badly as it does Hag and trapper.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349501#Comment_1349501

    It doesn't punish killers as badly as it does Hag and trapper.

    oh it does punish alot of killers pretty badly, especially on chases if the object player is just feeding the guy whos being chase of what the killer is doing, it effects most killers poorly since it gives alot info the survs really don't need to have, hey the killer is heading this way everyone go hide or get near a god loop

  • @BlazeNightash said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349505#Comment_1349505

    oh it does punish alot of killers pretty badly, especially on chases if the object player is just feeding the guy whos being chase of what the killer is doing, it effects most killers poorly since it gives alot info the survs really don't need to have, hey the killer is heading this way everyone go hide or get near a god loop

    True, it does affect killers very badly, but it doesn't render their power useless like it does with hag and trapper.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349517#Comment_1349517

    True, it does affect killers very badly, but it doesn't render their power useless like it does with hag and trapper.

    my point is just making OoO not effect trapper or hag isn't the way to go, the perk needs to go it needs an entirely different thing, it is the strongest info perk for survs in the game

  • @BlazeNightash said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349535#Comment_1349535

    my point is just making OoO not effect trapper or hag isn't the way to go, the perk needs to go it needs an entirely different thing, it is the strongest info perk for survs in the game

    Agreed, it does need a complete rework.

  • I enjoy playing Trapper quite a bit, I think him starting with and being able to hold more traps as a base kit would be a positive change.

  • @alaenyia said:

    I enjoy playing Trapper quite a bit, I think him starting with and being able to hold more traps as a base kit would be a positive change.

    Exactly :D

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349479#Comment_1349479

    4 man swf with OoO does have something to do with this because with that setup, they can watch your aura, tell their team where the traps are and disarm them all, however I think I can settle with just nerfing OoO so survivors can't see trap killers. Also I forgot to mention, survivors with maps can also render your power useless. So I think I have changed my mind, maybe don't give him bloody cool, just change OoO.

    This game should never ever be balanced around swf or a single perk, the day it does is the day it dies.

    I agree that OoO needs a rework but I don't think having it not work for trap killers as well as stealth killers would be a lot because that rules out Trapper, Hag, Wraith, ghostface, pig, myers, freddy and potentially Plague, Demo and PH for infecting loops and gens, setting portals and making trenches respectively.

    The stealth killer aspect that's currently incorporated should not be changed of course regardless as that would be so completely unfair but I think the best way to balance OoO is to have it have a cooldown similar to premonition and small game where if you are looking in the killers direction, you can look for a certain amount of time, say 10 seconds, and have to wait for a cooldown to use it.

  • I think he should start with 3 traps and/or make injured survivors who are trapped go into the dying state in his base kit.

  • @Danu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349489#Comment_1349489

    This game should never ever be balanced around swf or a single perk, the day it does is the day it dies.

    I agree that OoO needs a rework but I don't think having it not work for trap killers as well as stealth killers would be a lot because that rules out Trapper, Hag, Wraith, ghostface, pig, myers, freddy and potentially Plague, Demo and PH for infecting loops and gens, setting portals and making trenches respectively.

    The stealth killer aspect that's currently incorporated should not be changed of course regardless as that would be so completely unfair but I think the best way to balance OoO is to have it have a cooldown similar to premonition and small game where if you are looking in the killers direction, you can look for a certain amount of time, say 10 seconds, and have to wait for a cooldown to use it.

    Even if you were to take swf out of the context, they can just go over to the traps and disarm them. You do propose a pretty good change to OoO though.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349594#Comment_1349594

    Even if you were to take swf out of the context, they can just go over to the traps and disarm them. You do propose a pretty good change to OoO though.

    Thanks, I kind of want to make a thread about it so I can hear how other people might change ut because it can be really helpful to get different insights and feedback here :-)

    Also by taking the swf out of the context do you mean like as in just general solo survivors then? I get where the worry is but I don't think it's such a major issue dor trapper, if he traps near a gen that's being worked on and leaves, unless people know that trapper is for definite in a chase then they likely won't disarm the trap so they don't give away that they're working on the gen, even if it is risky. Survivors often also won't come near a good few traps until they're in chase as well and are forced to common loop spots that should be trapped so disarming becomes a non issue for these instances.

    I don't think bloody coil being base package for trapper should ever be in the game at all but I definitely agree with you so much he needs a buff, even increasing his starting traps and the amount he can carry at a time would make such a big difference for him!

    I think if something like bloody coil was to be base trapper it would lead to a lot of problems like why not also with hag, demogorgon portals etc etc

  • Some people suggested before some nice changes to Trapper that makes him feel better to play.

    One is to make it so injured survivors that stepped on a trap and free themselves are put in the dying state. If another survivor frees them they remain in the injured state. This way, having an injured survivor trapped actually helps you out. Another nice change is to make freeing yourself from a trap less RNG dependent. With this, survivors no longer escape on their first attempt, and survivors are no longer stuck in the trap after some 8 or more attempts.

  • @Danu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349611#Comment_1349611

    Thanks, I kind of want to make a thread about it so I can hear how other people might change ut because it can be really helpful to get different insights and feedback here :-)

    Also by taking the swf out of the context do you mean like as in just general solo survivors then? I get where the worry is but I don't think it's such a major issue dor trapper, if he traps near a gen that's being worked on and leaves, unless people know that trapper is for definite in a chase then they likely won't disarm the trap so they don't give away that they're working on the gen, even if it is risky. Survivors often also won't come near a good few traps until they're in chase as well and are forced to common loop spots that should be trapped so disarming becomes a non issue for these instances.

    I don't think bloody coil being base package for trapper should ever be in the game at all but I definitely agree with you so much he needs a buff, even increasing his starting traps and the amount he can carry at a time would make such a big difference for him!

    I think if something like bloody coil was to be base trapper it would lead to a lot of problems like why not also with hag, demogorgon portals etc etc

    Yeah, I reconsidered blopdy coil being basket, it was pretty stupid and I edited my post. I think honing stone should be base kit though.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1349648#Comment_1349648

    Yeah, I reconsidered blopdy coil being basket, it was pretty stupid and I edited my post. I think honing stone should be base kit though.

    I'm not sure about having honing stone as base either but I do think at the least making survivors have to mend after freeing themselves from a trap could be a decent buff, that's just my opinion though. I do love the trapper though and wish he was played more so hopefully he'll be looked at at some stage :-)