The Representation Tweet

Listen....I understand everyone in the LGBT community wants some sorta "Representation" and "Inclusive" in media but this is not the way to do it....

I don't care for a characters race/sexuality whatsoever because it has nothing to do with the gameplay, when I play a video game I play it for the game not just the character.

Listen I support the LGBT Community but this is pandering this also feels like a "Promotional" agenda and for what? the original "Make them how you see" was the best way because it didn't matter canon or not about how fanfic and shipping's were.

This isn't a "RPG" like Fable or Sims this is a Horror themed video game where survival are the goal/motives and not about their "Sexuality"

Now that I am reading from Facebook/Twitter...the LGBT is being toxic toward those who don't agree with their views (opinions) which is why I think leaving them to the "Fans" was the best idea that or allowing "LGBT" Cosmetics would have benefited perfectly for the community but retconning or adding new lore just to pander doesnt sit or feel right to me and others who are LGBT or are supporting the LGBT.

this is just my two cents how does everyone else feel?

Note: Let's be civil and not toxic and attack others known Opinions.

Note 2: Before someone tries to manipulate my statements, I'm stating I am fine with New Original characters getting their "I am [Insert Sexuality]" what I am against is retconning the existing characters, if its someone new wicked.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @timbologna said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388598#Comment_1388598

    If you feel like you're oppressed by strangers maybe you're playing victim so you feel justified in your beliefs?

    Again, literally nobody said anything about being oppressed. Please read and reply to what I said.

    @timbologna said:

    You just said normal, natural, relationships are forced down your throat. They're not. That's just nature being nature.

    So did you, because LGBT relationships are normal and natural.

    You didn't know that the Y chromosome is a mutated X chromosome and that's why men suffer far more from genetic disorders than women, as well as why we all start out with vaginas in the womb?

    EDIT: Small typo, mixed up X and Y.

  • I mean if anyone is sounding like they are feeling oppressed it’s those against inclusion of LGBT+ in the game. Like, why do you feel attacked by it at all, it really should not affect you. and then those people say LGBT community victimizes itself. Ironic.

  • Orion, that's why I was confused, and it was a reach when I thought you meant to say Y. XY AND XX have both existed since the dawn of existence. Whoever thought it was abnormal must be someone like....someone who doesn't know which chromosome is which.

  • @timbologna said:

    Orion, that's why I was confused, and it was a reach when I thought you meant to say Y. XY AND XX have both existed since the dawn of existence. Whoever thought it was abnormal must be someone like....someone who doesn't know which chromosome is which.

    They really haven't always existed, though. Read some more advanced biology textbooks.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388640#Comment_1388640

    They really haven't always existed, though. Read some more advanced biology textbooks.

    I read an article, never saw them mentioning it never existing.

  • @timbologna said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388644#Comment_1388644

    I read an article, never saw them mentioning it never existing.

    How did the human Y chromosome become so small relative to its X counterpart? This animation depicts the 300-million-year odyssey of the sex chromosomes that began when the proto X and Y were an identical pair.
  • @timbologna said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388666#Comment_1388666

    Based on scientist observations and estimations. So in the words of the Dude "That's just like your opinion man"

    OK.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388039#Comment_1388039

    Let me break it down very simply:

    • People are claiming they do not care if LGBTQ representation is added to the game.
    • People are then saying they feel as though it would be better if character's sexualities were left undetermined. However, there was no such outrage when The Nurse had a husband, Frank and Julie had a relationship etc. In which case the only conclusion to be made is that people have a problem with the fact that introduced relationships won't be straight. You can voice faux concern for "how" LGBTQ characters are implemented if you want but the fact remains none of the heterosexual relationships in the game have been treated the same.
    • I've seen a lot of responses in this thread that are just blatantly homophobic and utilize the same tired statements of 'it's too political', 'I support it BUT...' and 'don't shove it down by throat' etc. If heterosexual relationships aren't deemed as political, then why are LGBTQ ones? Once again, there is only one reasonable conclusion: people don't like the fact they're LGBTQ.
    • LGBTQ people aren't a "world view". It's not a matter of debate over whether they exist, deserve rights, representation etc. They're people and should be treated as such. If you don't agree with this then I'm sorry but you are by definition homophobic.

    EDIT: fixed a few spelling errors.

    All three points you made are full of nonsense.

    1. People saying they don't care if sexuality is added to the game and then saying they wish it wasn't doesn't make some one a homophobe. They are just stating they prefer a game one way or the other but are fine if it changes.

    2. Bhvr didn't put out a tweet announcing the nurse was married or Frank was in love with Julie, it was written into the lore with no fanfare, hence the no reaction to it.

    3. You and others like @Orion are the ones who continually go on and on about hetero relationships being shoved down your throat when according to you all it shouldn't impact the game play so why should it matter.

    Finally, by world view I didn't mean homosexuality. I meant the world view of someone who constantly plays the oppressed victim card and calls anyone. Who disagrees with them a bigot. Being fine with gay people existing and preferring to not have any sexuality shoved down any throat doesn't make people homophobes. You just seem to have an axe to grind.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388893#Comment_1388893

    All three points you made are full of nonsense.

    1. People saying they don't care if sexuality is added to the game and then saying they wish it wasn't doesn't make some one a homophobe. They are just stating they prefer a game one way or the other but are fine if it changes.

    2. Bhvr didn't put out a tweet announcing the nurse was married or Frank was in love with Julie, it was written into the lore with no fanfare, hence the no reaction to it.

    3. You and others like @Orion are the ones who continually go on and on about hetero relationships being shoved down your throat when according to you all it shouldn't impact the game play so why should it matter.

    Finally, by world view I didn't mean homosexuality. I meant the world view of someone who constantly plays the oppressed victim card and calls anyone. Who disagrees with them a bigot. Being fine with gay people existing and preferring to not have any sexuality shoved down any throat doesn't make people homophobes. You just seem to have an axe to grind.

    About your #3

    You are either being willfully ignorant or just deciding to ignore basically everything anyone else is saying. The only time anyone mentioned heterosexual relations are being forced down anyone's throat is after people complained that BHVR will shove LGBT+ relationships down their throat. If they write an LGBT+ character as they have written most of the other characters would it be being shoved down your throat? We have no reason to think that they would write it any differently. Except for the writing of Jane's story, but that's a whole other bag of worms, but that isn't about any intimate/sexual relationship anyway.

    If you say yes, that you think them writing any LGBT+ relationship would be shoving it down your throat, then @Orion , and any one else who mentioned it, would be correct in stating that Heterosexual relationships are being shoved down our throat. And from what we've seen of how BHVR writes relationships it hard to come to any other conclusion since so many are saying they are going to do a poor job of it.

    Also, their tweet was an apology for straight up lying to the community about the sexuality of the characters. You say its pandering, because its a tweet, but I'm not really sure where else they could have posted an apology that would both be immediately visible and easily shareable.

  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1389433#Comment_1389433

    About your #3

    You are either being willfully ignorant or just deciding to ignore basically everything anyone else is saying. The only time anyone mentioned heterosexual relations are being forced down anyone's throat is after people complained that BHVR will shove LGBT+ relationships down their throat. If they write an LGBT+ character as they have written most of the other characters would it be being shoved down your throat? We have no reason to think that they would write it any differently. Except for the writing of Jane's story, but that's a whole other bag of worms, but that isn't about any intimate/sexual relationship anyway.

    If you say yes, that you think them writing any LGBT+ relationship would be shoving it down your throat, then @Orion , and any one else who mentioned it, would be correct in stating that Heterosexual relationships are being shoved down our throat. And from what we've seen of how BHVR writes relationships it hard to come to any other conclusion since so many are saying they are going to do a poor job of it.

    Also, their tweet was an apology for straight up lying to the community about the sexuality of the characters. You say its pandering, because its a tweet, but I'm not really sure where else they could have posted an apology that would both be immediately visible and easily shareable.

    You clearly have not read any of my prior posts in the subject. I clearly state my issue is then tweeting about it, which is seen by many as pandering.

    And how about just adding in the lore instead of tweeting. You said it's an apology but there was nothing to apologize for. It sounds like you wanted an apology for them not filling some quota that parts of society think should be filled. It seems obvious that the tweet, during pride month mind you, is an effort to pander to the gay community.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1389481#Comment_1389481

    You clearly have not read any of my prior posts in the subject. I clearly state my issue is then tweeting about it, which is seen by many as pandering.

    And how about just adding in the lore instead of tweeting. You said it's an apology but there was nothing to apologize for. It sounds like you wanted an apology for them not filling some quota that parts of society think should be filled. It seems obvious that the tweet, during pride month mind you, is an effort to pander to the gay community.

    It was an apology because they said they wouldn’t include any sexual orientations but they did mention several hetero relationships. It’s really not hard to understand.

    and I can assure you if they just added any LGBT+ line in a backstory, there would have been an outrage from people because BHVR stated before they wouldn’t mention this. They had to make a statement to revise their stance. And they could have made this in the anniversary stream or made a Q&A or an „around the campfire“-stream with this topic. But they only made one small insignificant tweet. That’s not pandering, that was the minimum they could have done.


  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388359#Comment_1388359

    It’s certainly higher than 3.5 percent though. That was this study for the USA and only reflects those that openly admit to being LGBT. But please show me the source of 1-2 percent worldwide (honestly interested because that sounds very incredible). BTW its higher in western countries because there are countries that literally kill people for being LGBT+. Or other punishments. And regardless of the number, saying a minority should not be represented in a Videogame just doesn’t make sense.

    And I am not playing word games, I am just saying what the tweet was saying, they said they did unintentionally include hetero relations and will now not restrict themselves anymore from excluding LGBT+. They never said they do it just for representation. But it really doesn’t matter in the end. BHVR said they want to include/represent/not-exclude LGBT+. It’s not about bringing in sexuality, that is not new in DbD (Legion, Nurse, David, Ace).

    and saying „don’t play if you don’t like it“ is totally valid. This is a free market and it’s about a video game. If you don’t like it, you really don’t have to play. Actually saying „we don’t want any LGBT+ chars in this game“ is way more comparable to „its my country if you don’t like it get out“.

    you really don’t know how they will implement LGBT+ representation, you kind of assume just because they will include it they will manage it wrong. But for all we know, they will just mention some relationships or other lore bits in backstory and tome and thats it. You don’t have to let it affect you. There will not be enough people so full of hate that this will have an effect on revenue of the game.

    You're going with your feelings about the statistics. If you have evidence to the contrary please provide it. It''s natural for USA to have one of the highest % because we have the most individual freedoms across all countries. There isn't a single study (that I'm aware of) that does a global look across all countries, however you can parse the data from each individual country. I don't really want to argue with you. I'm just saying you don't need to have gay characters in every videogame, movie, tv show etc. It's getting ridiculous. If you disagree then we'll be butting heads endlessly. All I can say is I'm familiar with these developers more than most and if they can't implement a single patch without major issues nobody should be confident in their abilities to take on social dialogue.

  • @Mozzie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388400#Comment_1388400

    You're going with your feelings about the statistics. If you have evidence to the contrary please provide it. It''s natural for USA to have one of the highest % because we have the most individual freedoms across all countries. There isn't a single study (that I'm aware of) that does a global look across all countries, however you can parse the data from each individual country. I don't really want to argue with you. I'm just saying you don't need to have gay characters in every videogame, movie, tv show etc. It's getting ridiculous. If you disagree then we'll be butting heads endlessly. All I can say is I'm familiar with these developers more than most and if they can't implement a single patch without major issues nobody should be confident in their abilities to take on social dialogue.

    just google statistics for Europe. There are 6 % in Europe, while there are differences in the individual countries, with the highest being Germany with 7 %.

    but this doesn’t matter, the point is there is no reason to exclude LGBT from Videogames. It shouldn’t hurt or affect you that chars are LGBT, it isn’t shoved down any throats if there is just a mention of it in the lore in DbD. There are of course other games where the inclusion might be wrongly executed, but this is solely about DbD and you don’t know how they will handle it. I am not asking for it, never have, but I think it’s not the false thing to do.

    also the chars don’t really represent the world population at all, the Entity cherry picks and is looking for people with strong emotions, will to live, hope, having gone through struggle and coming out of it bigger. I would argue there are many LGBT+ people that would fit this.

  • @MichaelAMyers said:

    Listen....I understand everyone in the LGBT community wants some sorta "Representation" and "Inclusive" in media but this is not the way to do it....

    I don't care for a characters race/sexuality whatsoever because it has nothing to do with the gameplay, when I play a video game I play it for the game not just the character.

    Listen I support the LGBT Community but this is pandering this also feels like a "Promotional" agenda and for what? the original "Make them how you see" was the best way because it didn't matter canon or not about how fanfic and shipping's were.

    This isn't a "RPG" like Fable or Sims this is a Horror themed video game where survival are the goal/motives and not about their "Sexuality"

    Now that I am reading from Facebook/Twitter...the LGBT is being toxic toward those who don't agree with their views (opinions) which is why I think leaving them to the "Fans" was the best idea that or allowing "LGBT" Cosmetics would have benefited perfectly for the community but retconning or adding new lore just to pander doesnt sit or feel right to me and others who are LGBT or are supporting the LGBT.

    this is just my two cents how does everyone else feel?

    Note: Let's be civil and not toxic and attack others known Opinions.

    Note 2: Before someone tries to manipulate my statements, I'm stating I am fine with New Original characters getting their "I am [Insert Sexuality]" what I am against is retconning the existing characters, if its someone new wicked.

    you do realize that your opinion isnt shared around the whole community? i know lots of people who love lore and the backgrounds of the characters because it gives them someone to relate to, this includes sexuality.

    you also do realise that people arent just gay, from the start?

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1391084#Comment_1391084

    just google statistics for Europe. There are 6 % in Europe, while there are differences in the individual countries, with the highest being Germany with 7 %.

    but this doesn’t matter, the point is there is no reason to exclude LGBT from Videogames. It shouldn’t hurt or affect you that chars are LGBT, it isn’t shoved down any throats if there is just a mention of it in the lore in DbD. There are of course other games where the inclusion might be wrongly executed, but this is solely about DbD and you don’t know how they will handle it. I am not asking for it, never have, but I think it’s not the false thing to do.

    also the chars don’t really represent the world population at all, the Entity cherry picks and is looking for people with strong emotions, will to live, hope, having gone through struggle and coming out of it bigger. I would argue there are many LGBT+ people that would fit this.

    I really want to just let this go but you keep putting words into my mouth. I've never said I don't' want to see LGBT in videogames. So you keep arming your arguments around ######### that isn't being said. What I DID say is that in this game it's not needed and by doing so is merely pandering. I also don't want to see an over-representation of a small group of individuals who have a very large mouth in everything pop culture. And I have google'd the statistics, again...you are only concerning yourself with western countries.

    Clearly you are simply going to live within this bubble with no common ground to be had to best of luck to you.

  • I’m still baffled at how much one paragraph on Twitter blew up.

    Especially when the message was targeted at the lore of DBD. I can’t even imagine what it would have been like if they released skins that are representative of how some gay men embrace fashion. Like imagine if they had shown concept art of Ace wearing a pink fur coat or something, people would have really lost their minds.

  • @Mozzie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1391572#Comment_1391572

    I really want to just let this go but you keep putting words into my mouth. I've never said I don't' want to see LGBT in videogames. So you keep arming your arguments around ######### that isn't being said. What I DID say is that in this game it's not needed and by doing so is merely pandering. I also don't want to see an over-representation of a small group of individuals who have a very large mouth in everything pop culture. And I have google'd the statistics, again...you are only concerning yourself with western countries.

    Clearly you are simply going to live within this bubble with no common ground to be had to best of luck to you.

    I didn’t start the statistics thing, that was never a good argument for or against inclusion. And of course western countries have more reliable statistics for this, but even here you can see big differences..

    Including some LGBT chars is not overrepresentation, or would adding 2 or more red haired chars be overrepresentation as well? Actually a good reason to add LGBT chars is individuality of those chars and their backgrounds and not have every char just be the most average human being possible.

    Also it is ‚needed‘ in this game because the lore is something that the devs clearly want to put more focus on, basing this on the fact that background stories are getting longer and more detailed and also looking at the tomes. It is just natural that going on with this, they will mention (romantic) relationships and they already have, why should they limit themselves here to only heterosexual relationships?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388615#Comment_1388615

    Again, literally nobody said anything about being oppressed. Please read and reply to what I said.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388618#Comment_1388618

    So did you, because LGBT relationships are normal and natural.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1388619#Comment_1388619

    You didn't know that the Y chromosome is a mutated X chromosome and that's why men suffer far more from genetic disorders than women, as well as why we all start out with vaginas in the womb?

    EDIT: Small typo, mixed up X and Y.

    Degree in physiology here. It's not 'because the Y is a mutated X chromosome,' it's because the X and Y chromosome are not a homologous pair, so recombination is largely not possible, meaning genetic abnormalities will be passed on with far greater frequency than when 2 X chromosomes are allowed to recombine and potentially erase the abnormality.

    Additionally because the X and Y chromosome are not homologous, and males do not have a second X chromosome, any disorder present in the X chromosome (or Y) will be expressed, where females have a second X chromosome which may protect them with a normal, dominant genotype.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    I’m still baffled at how much one paragraph on Twitter blew up.

    Especially when the message was targeted at the lore of DBD. I can’t even imagine what it would have been like if they released skins that are representative of how some gay men embrace fashion. Like imagine if they had shown concept art of Ace wearing a pink fur coat or something, people would have really lost their minds.

    See the issue isn't about representation, it's that people (and likely the devs) jump straight to stereotypes. Many of us are not the sort of people who want to wear pink fur coats or 'embrace fashion,' and the notion that we are constantly represented by such stereotypes marginalises us further.

    In writing a 'race-positive' character, they literally made a social justice warrior, and I don't mean that like the way it's thrown around, I mean she is literally someone who fights for social justice. They couldn't make her race-positive without race being her entire identity, and defining feature. I'm worried that we're going to get the exact same stereotypes thrown at us and be told 'there, be grateful you're represented now!'

    Honestly the parody of what it is to be gay that is represented in most TV shows these days is about as accurate as racial stereotypes being used to make ethnic characters, then telling them "you should be grateful that we included you, even if it was in an offensive way!"

  • @anarchy753 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1400595#Comment_1400595

    See the issue isn't about representation, it's that people (and likely the devs) jump straight to stereotypes. Many of us are not the sort of people who want to wear pink fur coats or 'embrace fashion,' and the notion that we are constantly represented by such stereotypes marginalises us further.

    In writing a 'race-positive' character, they literally made a social justice warrior, and I don't mean that like the way it's thrown around, I mean she is literally someone who fights for social justice. They couldn't make her race-positive without race being her entire identity, and defining feature. I'm worried that we're going to get the exact same stereotypes thrown at us and be told 'there, be grateful you're represented now!'

    Honestly the parody of what it is to be gay that is represented in most TV shows these days is about as accurate as racial stereotypes being used to make ethnic characters, then telling them "you should be grateful that we included you, even if it was in an offensive way!"

    @anarchy753

    I mean, I just used it as an example. Regardless of how they are going to portray future or current characters people are more or less jumping the gun is what I am getting.

    Like, of course I know not every gay “embraces fashion” (trust me I know) my cousin is gay and you would never be able to tell he was. It doesn’t mean he is hiding it. So if you have a character who is a natural fashionista and that maybe in their lore they were going to school for fashion, before the entity took over them, I would assume that they would show that through various skins. So that’s what I was trying to get at with my comment. I only used Ace because looking at his skins he strikes me as someone who embraces fashion.

    People really don’t know anything but they think they do.

  • jesus christ this thread is still going huh?

  • @Mookywolf said:

    jesus christ this thread is still going huh?

    Same thing I said.

  • Here's a solution, just make everyone Pan. Then there's no romantic relationship representation problems. People can make whatever arts they want without potentially having to change a character's sexuality.

    And as of current no one's sexuality can be "changed". Just because nurse had a husband doesn't mean she isn't bi or pan, same goes for Frank and Julie.

1 … 6 7 8 ›