Great skill checks, do you try or play it safe?

Now, I know inevitably we’ll get that people who don’t need to try and hit great skill checks all day which is great for them.

Personally though ever since the change from 2-1% on gen great skill checks I have found myself playing it way safer. Why risk notifying the killer and losing 10% progress when I can just hit the fat part of the skill check. I usually max out on objective anyways so the 300 points doesn’t matter too much.

On healing checks I feel the same, although sometimes I use addons that increase healing great skill bonus progression.

Comments

  • I try for the great judt to keep the gen repair somewhat interesting

  • Go for general area and have about 50:50 chance of either getting great or good.

    even after playing for thousands of hours I still miss skill checks sometimes lol

    especially when there’s that sudden lag, killer is walking up or I happen to stop repair the instant one is popping up

  • I sometimes get a flurry of around 3 greats in a row.

    But usually if I try and get greats...I fail 😂

  • I try whenever I can unless I'm right on the cusp of finishing a gen and don't wanna blow it. Gotta improve somehow, no?

  • @Dr_Loomis said:

    I sometimes get a flurry of around 3 greats in a row.

    But usually if I try and get greats...I fail 😂

    Haha...that is so true!! I had a match where I think I hit 5 greats back-to-back. Went to the next gen and swung for the fences, only to miss my skill check!

  • I don’t try hard, but if the skill check position is comfortable I will at least try to get it at least near the great skillcheck area.

  • @Chicagopimp2019 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1345292#Comment_1345292

    Haha...that is so true!! I had a match where I think I hit 5 greats back-to-back. Went to the next gen and swung for the fences, only to miss my skill check!

    Yep. That's why I use Stake Out for any 'great skill checks' tome challenges. Always play it safe 😉

  • @Dr_Loomis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1345296#Comment_1345296

    Yep. That's why I use Stake Out for any 'great skill checks' tome challenges. Always play it safe 😉

    I do the same thing.

  • I normally will only try if the skill check happens to have a long lead up to it on the timer if you know what I mean. So I have more time to visually track the red needle. Shorter timed ones I just go for getting the check as I am not confident enough yet to risk missing it when going for the great. Also my frame rate is a bit janky when it comes to skillchecks so that can make it a bit harder in general.

  • @Mooks said:

    I don’t try hard, but if the skill check position is comfortable I will at least try to get it at least near the great skillcheck area.

    If the zone is later in the circle then yes those are the times I may try for great, if they’re right at the start of the circle I’m slow and barely hit good lol

  • @johnmwarner said:

    Now, I know inevitably we’ll get that people who don’t need to try and hit great skill checks all day which is great for them.

    Personally though ever since the change from 2-1% on gen great skill checks I have found myself playing it way safer. Why risk notifying the killer and losing 10% progress when I can just hit the fat part of the skill check. I usually max out on objective anyways so the 300 points doesn’t matter too much.

    On healing checks I feel the same, although sometimes I use addons that increase healing great skill bonus progression.

    Not to sound like I'm "tooting my own horn" but I use to try and power through old ruin and as a result I've gotten incredibly consistent at hitting great skillchecks on gens. I'll (aside from Doctor) almost always go for them and I hit them far more than I miss.

    If its anything aside from a gen skillcheck I just play it "safe" since its no longer just my safety on the line.

  • @johnmwarner said:

    Now, I know inevitably we’ll get that people who don’t need to try and hit great skill checks all day which is great for them.

    Personally though ever since the change from 2-1% on gen great skill checks I have found myself playing it way safer. Why risk notifying the killer and losing 10% progress when I can just hit the fat part of the skill check. I usually max out on objective anyways so the 300 points doesn’t matter too much.

    On healing checks I feel the same, although sometimes I use addons that increase healing great skill bonus progression.

    I always go for them.The sound is so satisfying and the Bonus BP are also great.

  • I hit greats without even trying most of the time. I practiced a lot with old Ruin and now it's just second nature.

    The only time I focus on hitting skill checks is if it's Doc, or it's like an Overcharge skill check I really need to hit.

  • I try to go for the second half of great skill checks (so that if I overshoot, I still get a good skill check and the gen doesn't explode in my face).

  • Sometimes I try to hit them and it ends causing me to miss a skill check lol.

  • I tend to run stakeout moderately frequently so ya I go for them a decent amount. I find goods are rarely enough to actually max objectives unless you are like litterally the only gen jockey. It's a solid extra bp and it does speed everything but especially speeds healing.