Console Players Worried About Framerate w/ New Graphic Update?

I pray that the devs implement some kind of better optimization on consoles before releasing this graphic overhaul. PS4 can barely handle killers going into bloodlust, let alone whole new fog and texture renders.

Are the devs not worried about the game becoming unplayable?

Other console/low-end PC folks, what do you think?

Comments

  • Haha, Switch fan go vroom.

    Seriously though I hope that they make sure console are running smoothly before this update.

  • I'm really worried... Hope it's optional

  • FPS is doggie doo with the current Atari level graphics we play on. PS4 (I cant speak on Xbox or Nintendo) needs some serious attention. I don’t have any other game that turns my PS4 into a jet engine when running it. Better graphics with the horrid dedi servers..... oh man

  • Being on a regular PS4, I'm not optimistic about it at all. Just like how there use to be talks of getting the console to 60 frames and then those talks turned into general optimization for all platforms, with no real mention about specific optimization to reach that goal.

    Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

    Seeing as how I mainly play Nurse and Huntress a frame rate worse than we have now sounds gross.

  • IF it runs poorly I hope the PS5 will first of all, let you transfer all your dbd data from PS4 to PS5 (If you bought skins and characters to play) and also it to work better on PS5

  • I remember someone saying the new engine they use is a lot better for console optimization. It's not an official statement, but it's what I'm hoping for.

  • @Cancan71 said:

    Haha, Switch fan go vroom.

    Seriously though I hope that they make sure console are running smoothly before this update.

    I mean, they haven't made sure it's currently running solid 60 fps. U think they will even make it happen when the performance impact is generally higher? I doubt that.

  • @CornMoss said:

    IF it runs poorly I hope the PS5 will first of all, let you transfer all your dbd data from PS4 to PS5 (If you bought skins and characters to play) and also it to work better on PS5

    It should transfer, remember your data is connected to your PSN account not your drive itself.

    Why do you think you can play on another Ps4 with out losing progress. And this is the same for Xbox.

  • Considering I never played DbD for the graphics Im a little miffed about that. The game is wildly unbalanced (Freddy, ahem) and the devs should be focusing more on that than graphics

  • i hear the graphic update maybe coming later this year are they thinking about the next gen consoles xbox/ps5? who knows

  • @Iceman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1311348#Comment_1311348

    It should transfer, remember your data is connected to your PSN account not your drive itself.

    Why do you think you can play on another Ps4 with out losing progress. And this is the same for Xbox.

    True, I actually never tested to see if my progress would transfer or not on to another Ps4 but thanks for the info

  • Im hoping it will be fine on next gen consoles.

  • @Orionbash said:

    Considering I never played DbD for the graphics Im a little miffed about that. The game is wildly unbalanced (Freddy, ahem) and the devs should be focusing more on that than graphics

    They are two different teams. It's not like the graphics team has time to go and playtest different potential changes, that's just not their job as much as I'd personally love for there to be more balance changes.

  • @CornMoss said:

    IF it runs poorly I hope the PS5 will first of all, let you transfer all your dbd data from PS4 to PS5 (If you bought skins and characters to play) and also it to work better on PS5

    It's linked to your PlayStation account, so as long as you're using the same account it should transfer.

  • I am worried, but I don't expect these graphical upgrades to ship before PS5 so all's well until I can see it for myself.

  • It's not only console but pc players aswell. You need a ######### beast to run this game properly,atleast from my experience. So I as a pc player,am worried 😅

  • @Real_Cheesus said:

    I pray that the devs implement some kind of better optimization on consoles before releasing this graphic overhaul. PS4 can barely handle killers going into bloodlust, let alone whole new fog and texture renders.

    Are the devs not worried about the game becoming unplayable?

    Other console/low-end PC folks, what do you think?

    They actually had a detailed plan to achieve 60FPS on consoles in the March 2019 roadmap and dev update but they don’t talk about it anymore and ignore every attempt to bring it up and ask about it.

    @not_Queen said:

    Over the past six months, we have allocated strike teams with the mission of improving the overall health of the game. As announced last December, we have developers working on a new matchmaking algorithm which we are actively testing and are almost ready to deploy. We are also targeting to migrate the game to dedicated servers by the end of summer 2019.

    This blog post is meant to update you on the efforts put on optimization, which aim to enhance the overall game’s performance.

    When we first released Dead by Daylight back in 2016, we targeted 30 FPS on our minimum spec. Up until recently, we optimized the game in bursts; for the console launch and before releasing a new Killer. We are now ready to set a new performance target: Dead by daylight will run at 60 FPS on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and minimum spec PCs.

    Reaching 60 FPS on Dead by Daylight is not an easy task. It is a multifaceted iterative process that started six months ago and will be ongoing for months. Our strike team of programmers dedicated to optimizing the game has their hands deep into the game code. To summarize, optimization improves the frame rate by using less CPU and GPU cycles to update and render the world faster without any apparent loss of quality.

    See below for a high-level view of our optimization roadmap.

    STEP 1: UPDATE TO UNREAL ENGINE 4.20

    Target: Chapter 10 and incremental changes with every engine update (update to 4.21 is planned for chapter 11)

    The engine update was a necessity to move forward with the optimization process.

    All the Unreal engine features below gives us additional tools and means to enhance the performance of the game: the new Apex integration (dynamic mesh simulation), RHI/Render thread split, Epic’s mesh reduction tool & improved animation thread tooling are just a few examples.

    STEP 2: CPU, GPU AND CONTEXTUAL OPTIMIZATIONS

    Target: Chapter 11 and ongoing

    This is the core of the work to improve the performance and the game’s frame rate.
    There are many opportunities for optimization, but here are the three main pillars overarching our efforts:

    CPU optimizations: improving the game’s baseline systems

    This is where the game world is simulated (interactions, character navigation, perks and powers). We will be converting our slowest gameplay blueprints to C++ which should, in specific cases, run ten to two hundred times faster. We are also moving from a tick-based system to an event-based-system. A tick-based system is much more demanding, as it constantly pokes the CPU to know when to trigger an action, while an event-based system can enable an event only when necessary and therefore reduce the stress on the CPU.

    GPU Optimizations: Overall Graphic Optimizations

    The GPU is where the game world is rendered into an image which is then drawn on the screen. The optimization actions listed below mainly affect the game’s visual representation. The objective is to render the world faster without sacrificing quality. We will be updating our anti-aliasing system to TXAA and moving the SSAO to a compute shader, simplify our shadow pass, optimize character outlines, improve LODs, slim render passes, bake more lights, use imposter rendering for specific objects (trees, grass) and more.

    Contextual Optimizations: Performance Spikes for Specific Actions

    We are working on optimizations that pay at any given time when you play (as mentioned above under GPU/CPU) but we also know there are specific actions and/or Killers that will need extra optimization. These are problematic cases where we see major hitches in performance. Here are a few examples: multiple characters moving in close quarters, specific Killer slow down, perks combination, etc.

    STEP 3: UPDATING OUR GUIDELINES AND PROCESSES

    Target: Chapter 12 and ongoing

    While we optimize the existing gameplay and graphic systems, we develop better tools and methods to implement new features. When we have a new process figured out, it is documented and shared with our development team who can then apply these learnings for the creation of new content.

    Our objective is to offer a better performance on all platforms, making the game look smoother and the controls more reactive. Still, doing such majors changes all at once (game engine update and rewriting game code) is bound to briefly disrupt things and require some adaptation time. We hope you understand that this is a transition period and an investment to improve the game.

    Don’t hesitate to share your feedback on our forums or social media if you encounter an issue. Our objective is to keep you updated on our progress in the coming months. The upcoming Dead by Daylight anniversary will be a great timing to give you additional visibility on our progress.

    See you in the fog,
    The Dead by Daylight team

    Maybe the graphics update will be part of this but I take the silence as they have not been able to achieve the impossible sounding plan and are hoping people forget about it.

    What really stings is hearing them discuss possible platform specific optimisation during the 4th anniversary as if it was something new they would have to start working on rather than something they outlined a plan for over a year ago and have not delivered or addressed what happened or if they are still working on it.

    I wish more people or even just someone with clout would keep asking about this and not let it just get brushed under the rug and forgotten about.

    I feel alone and unimportant trying to get any information about this and that no ones else cares.

  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/156567/console-players-worried-about-framerate-w-new-graphic-update

    They actually had a detailed plan to achieve 60FPS on consoles in the March 2019 roadmap and dev update but they don’t talk about it anymore and ignore every attempt to bring it up and ask about it.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/49456/status-update-optimization

    Maybe the graphics update will be part of this but I take the silence as they have not been able to achieve the impossible sounding plan and are hoping people forget about it.

    What really stings is hearing them discuss possible platform specific optimisation during the 4th anniversary as if it was something new they would have to start working on rather than something they outlined a plan for over a year ago and have not delivered or addressed what happened or if they are still working on it.

    I wish more people or even just someone with clout would keep asking about this and not let it just get brushed under the rug and forgotten about.

    I feel alone and unimportant trying to get any information about this and that no ones else cares.

    When the news came out about the rough release timeframes of ps5 and the next Xbox I have to believe that killed any major plans/optimizations to improve either existing console. The timing makes too much sense.

    Just like announcements like a major graphics overhaul & crossplay options both possibly being out as the next gen consoles are suddenly around to showcase them.

  • my low FPS are scared of this :,/..

  • @Real_Cheesus said:

    I pray that the devs implement some kind of better optimization on consoles before releasing this graphic overhaul. PS4 can barely handle killers going into bloodlust, let alone whole new fog and texture renders.

    Are the devs not worried about the game becoming unplayable?

    Other console/low-end PC folks, what do you think?

    I can guarantee you that they will only release it on the Xbox and the ps5. Console wise. And advertise it as HEY NEE GRAPHICS AT 60 FPS NOW REBUY THE GAME AGAIN