Queue Times Are Not Evidence of an Absence of Killers

Just wanted to let everyone know. The only things that we know for certain affect queue times are swf and swf matchmaking. Swf need more room in a lobby so a lot of lobbies are closed off to them. Swf matchmaking begins searching at the highest rank in the party, and since roughly 50% of all survivors are swf, 50% of all survivors are searching for lobbies higher than they should be. Other factors like the ranking system, matchmaking errors, and an incorrect ratio of killers and survivors are purely speculative and so queue times are not valid evidence that these factors exist. Matchmaking could be working fine, the ranking system could be okay, and there could be a healthy ratio of killers and survivors for all we know.

Edit: For those who would rather nitpick than offer anything constructive, solos and swf have the same core matchmaking characteristics. They are both looking to join a killer's lobby and neither care whether or not the lobby has enough survivors. They only care that there aren't too many survivors, meaning larger party sizes will have a harder time finding lobbies. I thought this would be simple and already well known, but apparently y'all don't know how this works.

Comments

  • @Warcrafter4 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278626#Comment_1278626

    A theory needs to be tested with scrutiny inorder to try to prove its its true or false and thus if a theory cannot survive the most basic level of scrutiny then either the theory or the way you got to the theory's conclusion is wrong.

    Right but how does that validate the theory opposing mine? Their theory doesn't survive the most basic level of scrutiny.

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278642#Comment_1278642

    Right but how does that validate the theory opposing mine? Their theory doesn't survive the most basic level of scrutiny.

    The "killer shortage" hypothesis survives Occam's razor, which is, in fact, the most basic level of scrutiny.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278635#Comment_1278635

    On the other hand, Occam's razor leads to the "killer shortage" hypothesis. It makes no assumptions and is therefore the simplest explanation.

    Doesn't it assume there is a shortage of killers?

  • No, it proposes that as an explanation for the queue time discrepancy between survivors and killers. There's a difference.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278659#Comment_1278659

    No, it proposes that as an explanation for the queue time discrepancy between survivors and killers. There's a difference.

    What are the assumptions the other explanations make?

  • If your statement is true, then why does it take me 3 times as long to find a survivor game and why is there an overpopulation of green-ranked killers?

  • There definitely IS an issue with the matchmaking. I'm seeing screenshots like this one, or even worse constantly being presenting in a DBD facebook page I'm in. You cant tell me this is how its SUPPOSE to be.

    95390681_3813252178748104_4835153643579637760_o.jpg

    This btw isnt me, just a random example I snagged.

  • @LordGlint said:

    There definitely IS an issue with the matchmaking. I'm seeing screenshots like this one, or even worse constantly being presenting in a DBD facebook page I'm in. You cant tell me this is how its SUPPOSE to be.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/614/95390681_3813252178748104_4835153643579637760_o.jpg

    This btw isnt me, just a random example I snagged.

    Ok I guess matchmaking errors do exist, but do they negatively affect queue times? We don't know.

  • One assumes matchmaking is bugged in a way that only affects the survivor queues. The implicit assumption here is that matchmaking is different for killers and survivors, since it's the only way a matchmaking bug would affect one side and not the other.

    Another assumes there are ranking errors that only affect the survivor queues. Like the previous one, the implicit assumption is that rank works differently for survivors and killers.

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278493#Comment_1278493

    I knew the lobbies had high priorities, but them ignoring matchmaking logic would explain a lot of frustrations killers are having with matchmaking right now. Thanks for the contribution!

    25 votes and 5 comments so far on Reddit


    413 votes and 48 comments so far on Reddit


    Two sources I've found mentioning the problem. After a killer dodges a new killer is dumped into the lobby right away which might be why matchmaking is so messed up. (OG killer dodges, matchmaking be like we gotta sub in some dude right now since these survivors have been waiting ages, baby trapper is picked)

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278493#Comment_1278493

    I knew the lobbies had high priorities, but them ignoring matchmaking logic would explain a lot of frustrations killers are having with matchmaking right now. Thanks for the contribution!

    25 votes and 5 comments so far on Reddit


    413 votes and 48 comments so far on Reddit


    Two sources I've found mentioning the problem. After a killer dodges a new killer is dumped into the lobby right away which might be why matchmaking is so messed up. (OG killer dodges, matchmaking be like we gotta sub in some dude right now since these survivors have been waiting ages, baby trapper is picked)

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278670#Comment_1278670

    One assumes matchmaking is bugged in a way that only affects the survivor queues. The implicit assumption here is that matchmaking is different for killers and survivors, since it's the only way a matchmaking bug would affect one side and not the other.

    Another assumes there are ranking errors that only affect the survivor queues. Like the previous one, the implicit assumption is that rank works differently for survivors and killers.

    Rank does work differently for survivors and killers. This is a fact.

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278681#Comment_1278681

    Ok I guess matchmaking errors do exist, but do they negatively affect queue times? We don't know.

    Yes...yes they do. This rank 20 killer went right back to playing survivor afterwards (as did many of the other players posting similar screenshots). I didnt even have to assume this, since they strait up said it themselves. This particular player was a rank 1 survivor main who's first and only game as killer ever was this screenshot.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278688#Comment_1278688

    Yes...yes they do. This rank 20 killer went right back to playing survivor afterwards (as did many of the other players posting similar screenshots). I didnt even have to assume this, since they strait up said it themselves. This particular player was a rank 1 survivor main who's first and only game as killer ever was this screenshot.

    Oh true

  • @LordGlint said:

    There definitely IS an issue with the matchmaking. I'm seeing screenshots like this one, or even worse constantly being presenting in a DBD facebook page I'm in. You cant tell me this is how its SUPPOSE to be.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/614/95390681_3813252178748104_4835153643579637760_o.jpg

    This btw isnt me, just a random example I snagged.

    I just copy my assumption:

    "I assume it is because of the Rank Reset Change. Players dont get set back that much, so the low Rank players have it harder to find games. And at some point, high Rank SWFs and low Rank Killers have long queue times and the Matchmaker puts them both together.

    But this is pure speculation."

    It seems to be problematic on PS4, at least this is the platform most players are playing when they are reporting this issue.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1278681#Comment_1278681

    I just copy my assumption:

    "I assume it is because of the Rank Reset Change. Players dont get set back that much, so the low Rank players have it harder to find games. And at some point, high Rank SWFs and low Rank Killers have long queue times and the Matchmaker puts them both together.

    But this is pure speculation."

    It seems to be problematic on PS4, at least this is the platform most players are playing when they are reporting this issue.

    I saw abit of em myself, but my rank didnt stay too far away from red for long to see if it was constant. I took a break from DBD for afew months, so when I came back...my Red rank self was at rank 13, lol. Doesnt really matter though since the survivors I was matched with at rank 13 didnt change much from what I was matched with at rank 1 afew days later.

    20200423183606_1.jpg

    Heres mah rank 13 self, lol.

    AND...the game I hit rank 1 again on.

    20200508022025_1.jpg


  • Queue times got longer just when the matchmaking and rank reset changes happened. Survivor queue times went from seconds to minutes right when that patch came out for me.Nurse also got nerfed in that update but obviously a ton of killers didn't just quit because of that.

    People love to use this to fit their narrative but it is not an evidence at all, I agree. There are way too many survivors playing in red ranks at the moment because of rank reset changes, even the most boosted survivors stay there and low rank survivors also play in red ranks because of swf matchmaking changes. As a result, survivor queues got longer and if I'm not mistaken, low rank killer queue times are also very high because a lot of survivors that should be in those ranks are playing at red ranks.

1 2 ›