Cosmetic Prestige
Hey. I was thinking about adding after III - 50 special prestige for one cosmetic on that survivor/killer. Like when I have III-50 Steve and could prestige on scoops ahoy shirt. What do you think?
Hey. I was thinking about adding after III - 50 special prestige for one cosmetic on that survivor/killer. Like when I have III-50 Steve and could prestige on scoops ahoy shirt. What do you think?
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Or bring something similiar to legacy for the new characters/licenced ones. After you get III-50 with that character you can claim 1 piece of it and put it also on some other cosmetic like scoops ahoy or something.
The problem with both ideas is that the Devs would need to create a prestige Outfit for every existing Cosmetic. This is way too much work for almost no use/benefit.
Besides that, something like Legacy will never come back.
Agreed with the comment above mine. That would require tons of work for the team to model on every single cosmetic when a lot of them will never even get used. It's just not simply worth the amount of time it would take them to work on it.
That's one reason why they won't render the Survivors with gore and missing body parts in result to certain mori's. The Mori's are something we don't see often enough to warrant them working on polishing them.
I admit I know little on game design but wouldn't it be possible to create an universal overlay for each cosmetic piece (top, bottom, head) so that it layers over said cosmetic? Then only 3 overlays would need to be created to apply to everything
Yes and no. Yes, it is technically possible if they're designed with that in mind, but no, it's not as simple as slapping a new layer of blood over top of whichever cosmetic you want.
To keep it simple, I'm going to ELI5. Let's pretend the thing you want to add blood to is a cube. To add a texture to it, you need to flatten it out. It might look a little something like this:
Then you add blood to it. It might look something like this, although obviously not as crude as this example:
Now aside from the fact that this example is very crudely made, it looks fine so far, right? But keep in mind what happens when you fold this 3D object back up. The blood splotch in the bottom right might be fine since it's already on the face that's going to be next to it, but what about the top one?
As you can see, the blood splotch on top is going to fold up against a face that doesn't have any blood on it. That's going to make a very clear (and ugly) seam where the blood suddenly stops and disappears.
To which you might say, it's simple enough, just make sure that it lines up with the other faces and then apply that to all cosmetics. That may work for simple objects like cubes, but more complex objects (like a shirt, or an entire killer's body) aren't as clean and uniform. They've got a lot of polygons, and they don't unfold neatly. To save space, an arm might be separated from the torso and rotated to fit into a small file. More importantly, since each cosmetic is a different shape (a t-shirt will have a different layout than a hoodie, for example), there's no good way to have a single bloody texture that covers everything.
There are some workarounds, but they tend not to be as nice or details as the manually created ones. Slapping a generic texture over just anything doesn't quite compare to an artist going through and manually placing the blood.
Thank you for this explanation, as someone with the artistic and programming knowledge of a garden snail I find stuff like this super interesting. :)
They made a texture overlay of the plague vomit for every cosmetic so i don't see why can't see why they can't do the same with prestige blood.
Why is Plague vomit working then? I would be fine with such a texture, better thank nothing.
Maybe just for alternate cosmetics? I really want Kate's white slip dress to have a prestige too
Didn't they take that out? I remember it being there when Plague released, but lately whenever playing against her, all I have is the green cloud of smoke when sick, there's no textures on my clothes.
If I have to be honest, I wish there was a more rewarding progress system. It would be super cool if I could get my feng to prestige "high number here" and earn more things on her, even simple things, different chroma clothes etc...
The least they could have is a charm. I hate having to give up Steve's Scoops Ahoy hat just so my prestige can be worth something.
Thank you for the explanation, that does make sense. As I said, I have very limited knowledge of these things
Probably just repeating points that were already made, but that means they would have to make a prestige for every single cosmetic that exists at this point, and also make one for all future ones. On top of that, I'm pretty sure they would have to hash things out with the license holders for certain things (like the Scoops Ahoy Steve outfit named above.)
They could make Prestige IV to make a belt item.