Penalize facecamp/tunneling killers

Can we come up with some kind of implementation that somehow deters killers from tunneling? From a survivor standpoint, you have to run a pretty limited selection of perks. There are no addons that give survivors the edge like there are for killers, and that's not up for debate.

I'm a rank 4 survivor, and for the past 2 weeks, over 90% of my games have a killer that camps hooked survivors, ruining the game for at least one person. I don't want to flame anyone, but I think something should be done. Unless you bring a full party of survivors, you have an EXTREMELY small chance of getting a decent amount of points. I brought bps to a match, 2 games ago. I was the first one found, and we went up against a billy. I lost him, we still had 4 gens to do, and he found a Claudette. Hooked her, then when she got unhooked, she was instantly downed and the other survivor nearby was ignored. The killer then just ran around the hook while I did gens, and the other 2 saved her. My brother was the one who unhooked her, and the billy was ignoring him just to get the claudette on the death hook. So, the killer got an INSANE amount of points for camping and tunneling Claudette. I believe we escaped, and got no one got more points than the billy with one kill. One kill is all he got, and somehow walked out of that match with 7k more points than the highest survivor.

Can we please stop rewarding killers for this behavior? Maybe a buff to gen speeds if the killer stays within a certain radius of the hooked survivor? Diminished returns on points for re-hooking within a certain time, that way killers can still re-hook, but aren't rewarded for it? I mean, a killer can facecamp a survivor, and if the other survivors aren't in a party and communicating, 1 or 2 others are going to try to save them. If they don't, then one person gets to watch the killer look at them all game till the entity comes down.

Comments

  • If you play survivor you can't tall the killer how to play. That is none of your business. Just focus on yourself and your team.

  • @FlintBeastgood said:

    I like to play killer but end up as survivor most of the time because I like the tension more than the chase.

    SURVIVOR PERSPECTIVE:

    I suffer all sorts at the hands of killers but if I get hooked and camped I just consider it a bust and stay on the hook for as long as possibe to help the rest get some gens done. It's the killer's prerogative. Sacrifice one for the greater good I say. What I don't like is being "rescued" when the killer is right there and likely to tunnel, given their camping nature, unless the rescuer has BT or there are enough bodies to ensure my escape; or wasting time throughout my whole first stage then unhooking me during second stage with the killer approaching.

    KILLER PERSPECTIVE:

    Some teams bring this on themselves. As a killer I will only facecamp if I'm way outclassed and being made a fool of by the survivors all game, or if I've had no hooks in a genrush game with 1 or 2 gens left. It's my consolation prize. By that point I'm fed up and just want it to be over. Like last night against two 2s and two 1s, as a rank 12 killer. SMH. If gens are going slow I'm a much more fun and beneficial (in terms of BP) killer to play against.

    OTHER THOUGHTS:

    Killer's job - kill. Survivor's job - escape. How you do that shouldn't matter. But hey, I don't take the game that seriously, I play for fun and just try to maximise BP wherever possible.

    I recall a scene in a film where two people are trying to outrun a killer...

    survivor 1: "wait, slow down"

    survivor 2: *slows down* "what?"

    survivor 1: *overtakes* "just wanted to get ahead of you"

    I made sure to check the rules before playing because I would've been a bodyblocking specialist otherwise.

    You're an ally until you're no longer useful. You>me. Survival of the fittest.

    TL;DR: I play both sides. I don't care about facecamping but BP nerfs are okay, if it comes to that.

    I mean, that's what most of my argument is about. Fine, if a survivor gets unhooked then spams a locker notification and gets hooked immediately, cool. No, you shouldn't be able to farm people like that, so a bit of a bp nerf would help everyone there. It would discourage the killer from tunneling for a higher value target. If you choose to tunnel, so be it. But a killer shouldn't get 3-4 times the points that a survivor gets because he camped a hook, and then tunneled the survivor. It's happened, I've seen more matches than I can remember where the killer just acted like a train. Hooked and killed 2 people, and had an insane amount of points compared to the survivors who did gens, got chased and escaped, or whatever other objectives. That's ridiculous. Why do killers get THAT many points compared to survivors who do all of their objectives?

  • @DBD78 said:

    If you play survivor you can't tall the killer how to play. That is none of your business. Just focus on yourself and your team.

    And thanks for reading any of the content of the threads. For example, the amount of points and pips survivors get. I got the 2nd most points in a game with a low lvl nurse. A whopping 16k, with the number one survivor at 19k because he had one more rescue and was chased more after I escaped. I did 3 gens and got some heals. Only 1 person got hooked. So because the killer was bad, I BARELY got enough points to not lose any pips. The nurse hooked 1 person, and got 11k points. That's one spot on the bloodweb less than I get, and she did nothing.

  • @Chaoutzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1201334#Comment_1201334

    I mean, that's what most of my argument is about. Fine, if a survivor gets unhooked then spams a locker notification and gets hooked immediately, cool. No, you shouldn't be able to farm people like that, so a bit of a bp nerf would help everyone there. It would discourage the killer from tunneling for a higher value target. If you choose to tunnel, so be it. But a killer shouldn't get 3-4 times the points that a survivor gets because he camped a hook, and then tunneled the survivor. It's happened, I've seen more matches than I can remember where the killer just acted like a train. Hooked and killed 2 people, and had an insane amount of points compared to the survivors who did gens, got chased and escaped, or whatever other objectives. That's ridiculous. Why do killers get THAT many points compared to survivors who do all of their objectives?

    Yeah. BP nerfs are okay with me if the devs deem it necessary. I really don't care one way or the other.

  • The same killers who do this want DS nerfed too... LOL. Just started using it today because of the insane camping and tunneling going on

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/142575/penalize-facecamp-tunneling-killers

    There are punishments. Tunneling is countered by many perks in the game such as DS/BT/UB.

    Camping is punished by 3 other survivors escaping and the killer probably ending up with less bloodpoints then the person they camped.

    And yet everyone complains about those perkssaying their too strong and dont have a counter. But they do , bt dont camp, ds dont tunnle, ub dont slug.

    So these are the counters yet they should be nerfed because it ruins camping tunneling and slugging or so most killer mains say on the forums.

  • @Chaoutzu said:

    Can we come up with some kind of implementation that somehow deters killers from tunneling? From a survivor standpoint, you have to run a pretty limited selection of perks. There are no addons that give survivors the edge like there are for killers, and that's not up for debate.

    I'm a rank 4 survivor, and for the past 2 weeks, over 90% of my games have a killer that camps hooked survivors, ruining the game for at least one person. I don't want to flame anyone, but I think something should be done. Unless you bring a full party of survivors, you have an EXTREMELY small chance of getting a decent amount of points. I brought bps to a match, 2 games ago. I was the first one found, and we went up against a billy. I lost him, we still had 4 gens to do, and he found a Claudette. Hooked her, then when she got unhooked, she was instantly downed and the other survivor nearby was ignored. The killer then just ran around the hook while I did gens, and the other 2 saved her. My brother was the one who unhooked her, and the billy was ignoring him just to get the claudette on the death hook. So, the killer got an INSANE amount of points for camping and tunneling Claudette. I believe we escaped, and got no one got more points than the billy with one kill. One kill is all he got, and somehow walked out of that match with 7k more points than the highest survivor.

    Can we please stop rewarding killers for this behavior? Maybe a buff to gen speeds if the killer stays within a certain radius of the hooked survivor? Diminished returns on points for re-hooking within a certain time, that way killers can still re-hook, but aren't rewarded for it? I mean, a killer can facecamp a survivor, and if the other survivors aren't in a party and communicating, 1 or 2 others are going to try to save them. If they don't, then one person gets to watch the killer look at them all game till the entity comes down.

    Fr, its annoying when your trying to rank up and you get a tunneling or camping killer and get punished for it by de-pipping.

  • @Cierax said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/142575/penalize-facecamp-tunneling-killers

    Fr, its annoying when your trying to rank up and you get a tunneling or camping killer and get punished for it by de-pipping.

    Nice necro

  • Survivor Main here.

    Lets not do that.

    If a killer wants to camp or tunnel. They can. They’re called killers for a reason.

    And a way to counter both those things. Do gens.

  • Whats the problem in camping?, if the killer camp, just do gens, or use ds, or use bt, you can also use umbreakble to combo if ds, theres no reason to complain about camping, you have everything to get away of this situation

  • Penalize gen repairing/pallet using survivors. :D

  • @Acromio said:

    Penalize gen repairing/pallet using survivors. :D

    You are penalized for repairing generators, by having to play the most boring version of Dead By Daylight.

  • @BigFatChungus said:

    Whats the problem in camping?, if the killer camp, just do gens, or use ds, or use bt, you can also use umbreakble to combo if ds, theres no reason to complain about camping, you have everything to get away of this situation

    The problem is, that most killers doesn't care about that. They just hit through bt and ds. Sure, it gives you some more time to survive, but you'll still end up being hooked. So it's not exactly a counter, just some postponement (if that's the right word, lol). And it's just frustrating to get tunneled like 70% of all matches. Or to see a mate get tunneled.

    So no, you don't have everything to get out of this situation.

  • @Nightsin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1484334#Comment_1484334

    The problem is, that most killers doesn't care about that. They just hit through bt and ds. Sure, it gives you some more time to survive, but you'll still end up being hooked. So it's not exactly a counter, just some postponement (if that's the right word, lol). And it's just frustrating to get tunneled like 70% of all matches. Or to see a mate get tunneled.

    So no, you don't have everything to get out of this situation.

    I can undertand you point, but the main issue with that, is that killers would get pissed.

    Imagine having a bad game, and cant do nothing about it, survivors cant be so imortal at the point that the killer cant kill him because he is ""tunneling", ds and bt exist to HELP survivors and not making they impossible to get tunneled, if the killer hit you with borewed time and also get ds, this alredy give time for the teammates do 3 gens, and with the survivor is good he can make the killer chases him for a long time, in most of the times camp can be the only way of winning a match, for example you hook someone and slug someone next to the hook, this can make you get a lot of pressure, theres no problem in camping,survivors can easily counter that, c'mon ds, borewed and umbreakble are meta perks right now, everyone is using it

  • Tunneling is a lazy killers bread and butter. Every low level killer I see will tunnel immediately off hook. Higher level killers can win without tunneling most of the time. Tunneling killers will probably stay in low ranks, doomed to never improve. Oh well.

  • @Chaoutzu said:

    Can we come up with some kind of implementation that somehow deters killers from tunneling? From a survivor standpoint, you have to run a pretty limited selection of perks. There are no addons that give survivors the edge like there are for killers, and that's not up for debate.

    I'm a rank 4 survivor, and for the past 2 weeks, over 90% of my games have a killer that camps hooked survivors, ruining the game for at least one person. I don't want to flame anyone, but I think something should be done. Unless you bring a full party of survivors, you have an EXTREMELY small chance of getting a decent amount of points. I brought bps to a match, 2 games ago. I was the first one found, and we went up against a billy. I lost him, we still had 4 gens to do, and he found a Claudette. Hooked her, then when she got unhooked, she was instantly downed and the other survivor nearby was ignored. The killer then just ran around the hook while I did gens, and the other 2 saved her. My brother was the one who unhooked her, and the billy was ignoring him just to get the claudette on the death hook. So, the killer got an INSANE amount of points for camping and tunneling Claudette. I believe we escaped, and got no one got more points than the billy with one kill. One kill is all he got, and somehow walked out of that match with 7k more points than the highest survivor.

    Can we please stop rewarding killers for this behavior? Maybe a buff to gen speeds if the killer stays within a certain radius of the hooked survivor? Diminished returns on points for re-hooking within a certain time, that way killers can still re-hook, but aren't rewarded for it? I mean, a killer can facecamp a survivor, and if the other survivors aren't in a party and communicating, 1 or 2 others are going to try to save them. If they don't, then one person gets to watch the killer look at them all game till the entity comes down.

    Isn't that what DS and BT are for, as for camping the killer gets penalized. You'd know that if you ever played killer since the game depips you for it...

  • boring players are boring players devs cant control the way people play. thats why bt exists

  • @raulblideran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1200260#Comment_1200260

    I want you to play games as killer, but not 3 games, no, play only killer and understand why these tactics are necessary.

    And no, I'm not talking about a killer that gets you down and camps you the entire game from the start, that's an ass, I'm talking about zoning, getting 3 gens done while no hooks happend, you know, stuff that might want you to apply pressure such as slugging or tunneling

    No, we won't stop doing it just cause it hurts some feelings but quite a lot of us actually don't use it that often as it's not fun for us either.


  • @Chaoutzu said:

    Can we come up with some kind of implementation that somehow deters killers from tunneling? From a survivor standpoint, you have to run a pretty limited selection of perks. There are no addons that give survivors the edge like there are for killers, and that's not up for debate.

    I'm a rank 4 survivor, and for the past 2 weeks, over 90% of my games have a killer that camps hooked survivors, ruining the game for at least one person. I don't want to flame anyone, but I think something should be done. Unless you bring a full party of survivors, you have an EXTREMELY small chance of getting a decent amount of points. I brought bps to a match, 2 games ago. I was the first one found, and we went up against a billy. I lost him, we still had 4 gens to do, and he found a Claudette. Hooked her, then when she got unhooked, she was instantly downed and the other survivor nearby was ignored. The killer then just ran around the hook while I did gens, and the other 2 saved her. My brother was the one who unhooked her, and the billy was ignoring him just to get the claudette on the death hook. So, the killer got an INSANE amount of points for camping and tunneling Claudette. I believe we escaped, and got no one got more points than the billy with one kill. One kill is all he got, and somehow walked out of that match with 7k more points than the highest survivor.

    Can we please stop rewarding killers for this behavior? Maybe a buff to gen speeds if the killer stays within a certain radius of the hooked survivor? Diminished returns on points for re-hooking within a certain time, that way killers can still re-hook, but aren't rewarded for it? I mean, a killer can facecamp a survivor, and if the other survivors aren't in a party and communicating, 1 or 2 others are going to try to save them. If they don't, then one person gets to watch the killer look at them all game till the entity comes down.

    No, you need to actually reward killers for not tunneling and camping. Like or not camping and tunneling very often is necessary to win as you need to make the game 3v1 to have chance its ######### but you do not wanna lose either. Just give killers actual gameplay insetives to win like 12 hooks would actually be very good way to win instead of ill do it if the survivours are bad and i dont want to stomp. Devs might introduce bloodpoint incentives but that wont do anything aslong as removing one person from the game early raises your chances of winning as much as they currently do.

  • Ok so yeah the facecamping isn’t necessary (though make sure it’s not your team causing the killer to stick around) but proxy camping, slugging, and tunneling are valid strats as you can’t win a game with 12 hooks against good players. So when the killer does do these things you have to have your team help counter it

    Proxying: Wait until the killer turns their back and grab real fast with bt or if it’s just a proxy for a few seconds wait it out then save

    Tunneling: if you don’t have bt body block that survivor

    Slugging: let them 99 pick them up and body block if possible

  • Does rank really matter anymore when they introduce mmr seem kind of point less to penalize killer when rank don't matter and can bring offering for bp

  • Killers nerfs + Infinite loop + Keys + Flashlight + boddyblock + Tbag = camp, tunneling..


    You want penalize the camp and tunnel ? You want play without killer continue !🤣

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1200714#Comment_1200714

    You're right; those perks don't do enough imo—especially DS which only works once. I don't think there is a way to completely eliminate camping or tunneling. I do, however, consider the game could implement some determent to discourage The Killer. Imo The Killer should always have the freedom and discretion to camp and tunnel if they want.

    This issue reminds me of another major AAA title faced with one side engaging in behavior that wasn't an exploit, but it ruined the experience for the other player. They did some score and in-game "soft punishments" as they called it to deter the behavior but still allowing it. It was effective bc everyone stopped. The equivalent in DBD would involve points deducting at an accelerated rate in real-time during the match, capping the emblem at maybe Silver quality, bringing the Sacrificial Sequence to a crawl (perhaps 3x the standard rate) and providing a nice BP bonus to the victim, so they are encouraged to struggle. Idk what the anti-tunnel equiv would be bc the game is so different.

    Let me clarify that I am not necessarily saying this is the solution for DBD. Each game and the devs have different goals they wish to advance. I am just posting the info bc I thought it was interesting for people to read and see how some other games have dealt with behavior, not at the level of getting banned but enough that they didn't want you doing it. I think camping and tunneling are in this category.

    They tried to punish killers for camping before. Using a radius to judge when the killer was too close to the hook.

    Survivors would bait the killer into the radius so much it was removed. Seeing as that is the only way to judge camping there is no punishment beyond what we already have in place.

    How would the game judge tunneling? I hooked someone, chased someone else, and got run into the hooked person self caring in a corner nearby. I saw them with Nurse’s. The person I just started chasing had Sprint Burst so got such a head start I switched targets and went for the optimal target: the self caring person. They used Dead Hard and extended the chase for about ten seconds before going down

    I decided to eat the DS to get it out of the way because no gens were done so it was a good trade. They missed their DS and rage quit by killing themselves on hook.

    In their mind I’m sure I was tunneling, so how would you punish that situation?

    From a logical perspective I did nothing wrong. I went after another survivor who ran me by an injured survivor that backed themselves into a corner while using Sprint Burst to get a huge head start.

    However, the person in the corner came off the hook about twenty seconds before this.

    To many players I’d be tunneling.

  • @thelittlemonsters said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1200760#Comment_1200760

    They tried to punish killers for camping before. Using a radius to judge when the killer was too close to the hook.

    Survivors would bait the killer into the radius so much it was removed. Seeing as that is the only way to judge camping there is no punishment beyond what we already have in place.

    How would the game judge tunneling? I hooked someone, chased someone else, and got run into the hooked person self caring in a corner nearby. I saw them with Nurse’s. The person I just started chasing had Sprint Burst so got such a head start I switched targets and went for the optimal target: the self caring person. They used Dead Hard and extended the chase for about ten seconds before going down

    I decided to eat the DS to get it out of the way because no gens were done so it was a good trade. They missed their DS and rage quit by killing themselves on hook.

    In their mind I’m sure I was tunneling, so how would you punish that situation?

    From a logical perspective I did nothing wrong. I went after another survivor who ran me by an injured survivor that backed themselves into a corner while using Sprint Burst to get a huge head start.

    However, the person in the corner came off the hook about twenty seconds before this.

    To many players I’d be tunneling.

    Thanks for the necro-quote from five months ago. Typically you don't do that even if an old topic resurfaces unless the person is currently and actively participating in the thread.

    I never defined what any tunnel determent would look like and pointed out I didn't know of an equivalent option when referencing that other game. Whether the tunnel is incidental or deliberate is unimportant. I only stated that it should always be a free choice to tunnel. My point was about discouragement not hard punishment so there's no right or wrong action. Discouraging is about telling the player, this behavior isn't ideal for the health of the game and you shouldn't engage in it. It still gives the freedom and discretion to do it but comes at a cost that the player has to weigh against other factors.

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1601315#Comment_1601315

    Thanks for the necro-quote from five months ago. Typically you don't do that even if an old topic resurfaces unless the person is currently and actively participating in the thread.

    I never defined what any tunnel determent would look like and pointed out I didn't know of an equivalent option when referencing that other game. Whether the tunnel is incidental or deliberate is unimportant. I only stated that it should always be a free choice to tunnel. My point was about discouragement not hard punishment so there's no right or wrong action. Discouraging is about telling the player, this behavior isn't ideal for the health of the game and you shouldn't engage in it. It still gives the freedom and discretion to do it but comes at a cost that the player has to weigh against other factors.

    Sorry for responding. Didn’t see that was a rule.

  • You punish the camping by doing gens as fast as you can. It will take consistent effort to force the killers that do it to change but if they can't do very well by camping they'll have to not.

  • It's an internet "rule," mainly because over many months people's opinions may have evolved or the points are moot. I did reply, was just giving you a heads up about quoting from months before.

1 2 ›