Please, Make Collision Boxes Equal

Hello. When I first started playing Dead by Daylight the experience was simply magical, as magical as horror can be anyway. The killers scared me and the first time I encountered each killer my spine tingled as I felt the gaze of another person who genuinely wanted me Dead. The experience was exactly the horror experience I bought the game for and I was a satisfied customer. I kept playing only survivor for a week or two more and felt that even after learning some of the ropes I was content as the killers had different perks, playstyles, and add-ons that made each game a unique experience thanks to the procedurally generated levels. After a short while I tried killer.

I was initially unsuccessful. After time I learned the ropes of killer and became slightly better, though arguably not by much. Overtime I "got good" and reached rank 7. It was at this moment that I realized something was horribly wrong. As the power role, I was powerless. At this time I encountered "looping". Looping is an incredibly unappealing game mechanic because as the name implies you simply run in a circle until a pallet is dropped, usually on your head. After the stun has passed (Even with Enduring) the survivor eagerly waits nearby to run in circles some more if you don't break the pallet. If you do break the pallet, during the break they quickly run to another to repeat the tedious process (all the while their allies repair generators). This creates a sense of true powerlessness as the killer can barely do anything. If the killer continues the chase they let the others work on generators while they just get delayed and looped. If they give up and pursue another survivor they risk not finding other survivors or being too late to stop a repair. On top if this, the one survivor they were preventing from working is now free to work.
The entire process is currently bearable thanks to a small group of perks with the main two being:

HEX: Ruin - A risky perk with the potential to slow down repairs, but only if the totem isn't found and the survivors get skill checks.

Barbeque & Chili - A reliable perk that reveals distant survivor auras and offers a point multiplier that compensates for delayed games (compared to survivors) and tedious gameplay.

In addition to the perks above, the pallet animation is currently longer than most expect resulting in more frequent trading of blows. When all of these factors combine the killer experience is actually a little fun. People might not necessarily fear the killers, but the killer can punish survivors who's first response to the threat is to run straight to a pallet and just remain in the killer's gaze. 

This is to change however as you have announced pallet animation fixes in the works which will remove the blow trading. On top of this you also plan to give survivors the perk Kindred as a base effect which will only strengthen their cooperative power. 

This is why I implore you to make killer collision boxes the same size as survivors. People buy Dead by Daylight to have fun exciting gameplay. Being led in a circle 4-6+ times before being stunned isn't exciting. It's rather dull to be honest (and a bit infuriating).

Here are just a few of the benefits that would come from giving killers the same sized collision boxes as survivors:

1.) No more fatshaming reports.
 - I understand that BHVR is a small company, I saw the job offers. By giving players a universal collision box size there would be no more fatshaming. This would free up some time and resources that you could then apply elsewhere.

2.) Improve quality of life for killers.
 - I understand how this can seem biased as it is biased to killers however, killers are the power role. People who buy the game want to feel powerful as killer, they don't want to be looped around all day. When killers have the same sized collision boxes as survivors the chases will be shorter and more exciting
 If catching survivors becomes easier than camping will fade out as killers will be more confident that they can go get the survivor later.

3.) Less killer complaints
- Killers often complain about fast games. They complained so much you made a specific killer to counter fast games "The Pig". If chases are shorter than the games will feel longer as much more action will occur in the time it takes to fix a generator.

Overall it just seems to me that it's a little strange that 4 strangers have less difficultly traversing the map for one trial then the killer who supposedly lives there.
Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • It's not just a matter of hitboxes (that devs showed are not so different) but there are other factors such as 3rd person view vs 1st and the way survivors move when turning that makes looping effective.
    Just an advice: try to use as little as possible A and D and move around with your mouse while just pressing W. You must be more careful to not bump into objects but it makes moving around loops slightly faster.

  • @White_Owl said:
    (that devs showed are not so different)

    Anyone who plays the game knows is this 100% bullshit, as proven by the many fatshaming spots.

  • https://youtu.be/v6ef8pjDtlk?t=29m8s

    They are almost the exact same size. The killer's hitbox is slightly bigger, but you can see it for yourself, only by a very, very small amount. The hitboxes aren't really the problem here. What's actually happening here is that the killer takes time to accelerate to their full speed. When you press W/forward on the stick, you aren't instantly going 4.6m/s (or your killer's base speed). You gradually build up to that. You might not have noticed it because this is a standard in many games. It makes movement feel more realistic and natural, like in real life where you can't just go 0-100 instantly.

    This also applies to making sharp turns. Going around a corner tightly slows you down a little (not to a complete stop, but it requires a tiny bit of acceleration to get back up to speed). Survivors don't take nearly as long to get to full speed.

    What would be a more fitting change is to reduce the time it takes to get to your full speed. Changing the hitboxes alone wouldn't do much, though I'd be okay with them being the same just because that would remove the fatshaming spots.

  • @White_Owl said:
    (that devs showed are not so different)

    Anyone who plays the game knows is this 100% bullshit, as proven by the many fatshaming spots.


    Tbh, fatshamimg IS legitimately calming down as the game grows. He isn't wrong either, I can't count the number of times not being focused enough about avoiding objects around loop has cost me a hit. Some loops are just too awkward for a first person perspective, and honestly I'd perfer more loose debris detached from the loop then how we have it now, that way you can keep still keep LOS breakers and keep it more balanced for the killer
  • Personally I think there should be more spots that survivors can slip through that killers can't. Maybe they're one time use (like gaps in the wall that cave in after a survivor goes through when in a chase). And they would have to be obvious so killers would know not to even attempt to go through but to go around.
  • @brokedownpalace said:
    Personally I think there should be more spots that survivors can slip through that killers can't. Maybe they're one time use (like gaps in the wall that cave in after a survivor goes through when in a chase). And they would have to be obvious so killers would know not to even attempt to go through but to go around.

    I suggested such a system to completely replace pallets and modify vaultables. Killers would also be able to grab Survivors off them if they were close enough.

  • Remove pallets, remove walls and only allow survivors to move in a straight line.... killers wet dream and idea of Balance 
  • @Paddy4583 said:
    Remove pallets, remove walls and only allow survivors to move in a straight line.... killers wet dream and idea of Balance 

    It's easy to make a position seem ridiculous when you make ######### up about it. It's a lot harder to actually come up with any counterpoints.

  • Orion said:

    @Paddy4583 said:
    Remove pallets, remove walls and only allow survivors to move in a straight line.... killers wet dream and idea of Balance 

    It's easy to make a position seem ridiculous when you make ######### up about it. It's a lot harder to actually come up with any counterpoints.

    Counter points to what exactly?
  • @Peasant said:
    Hello. When I first started playing Dead by Daylight the experience was simply magical, as magical as horror can be anyway. The killers scared me and the first time I encountered each killer my spine tingled as I felt the gaze of another person who genuinely wanted me Dead. The experience was exactly the horror experience I bought the game for and I was a satisfied customer. I kept playing only survivor for a week or two more and felt that even after learning some of the ropes I was content as the killers had different perks, playstyles, and add-ons that made each game a unique experience thanks to the procedurally generated levels. After a short while I tried killer.

    I was initially unsuccessful. After time I learned the ropes of killer and became slightly better, though arguably not by much. Overtime I "got good" and reached rank 7. It was at this moment that I realized something was horribly wrong. As the power role, I was powerless. At this time I encountered "looping". Looping is an incredibly unappealing game mechanic because as the name implies you simply run in a circle until a pallet is dropped, usually on your head. After the stun has passed (Even with Enduring) the survivor eagerly waits nearby to run in circles some more if you don't break the pallet. If you do break the pallet, during the break they quickly run to another to repeat the tedious process (all the while their allies repair generators). This creates a sense of true powerlessness as the killer can barely do anything. If the killer continues the chase they let the others work on generators while they just get delayed and looped. If they give up and pursue another survivor they risk not finding other survivors or being too late to stop a repair. On top if this, the one survivor they were preventing from working is now free to work.
    The entire process is currently bearable thanks to a small group of perks with the main two being:

    HEX: Ruin - A risky perk with the potential to slow down repairs, but only if the totem isn't found and the survivors get skill checks.

    Barbeque & Chili - A reliable perk that reveals distant survivor auras and offers a point multiplier that compensates for delayed games (compared to survivors) and tedious gameplay.

    In addition to the perks above, the pallet animation is currently longer than most expect resulting in more frequent trading of blows. When all of these factors combine the killer experience is actually a little fun. People might not necessarily fear the killers, but the killer can punish survivors who's first response to the threat is to run straight to a pallet and just remain in the killer's gaze. 

    This is to change however as you have announced pallet animation fixes in the works which will remove the blow trading. On top of this you also plan to give survivors the perk Kindred as a base effect which will only strengthen their cooperative power. 

    This is why I implore you to make killer collision boxes the same size as survivors. People buy Dead by Daylight to have fun exciting gameplay. Being led in a circle 4-6+ times before being stunned isn't exciting. It's rather dull to be honest (and a bit infuriating).

    Here are just a few of the benefits that would come from giving killers the same sized collision boxes as survivors:

    1.) No more fatshaming reports.
     - I understand that BHVR is a small company, I saw the job offers. By giving players a universal collision box size there would be no more fatshaming. This would free up some time and resources that you could then apply elsewhere.

    2.) Improve quality of life for killers.
     - I understand how this can seem biased as it is biased to killers however, killers are the power role. People who buy the game want to feel powerful as killer, they don't want to be looped around all day. When killers have the same sized collision boxes as survivors the chases will be shorter and more exciting
     If catching survivors becomes easier than camping will fade out as killers will be more confident that they can go get the survivor later.

    3.) Less killer complaints

    • Killers often complain about fast games. They complained so much you made a specific killer to counter fast games "The Pig". If chases are shorter than the games will feel longer as much more action will occur in the time it takes to fix a generator.

    Overall it just seems to me that it's a little strange that 4 strangers have less difficultly traversing the map for one trial then the killer who supposedly lives there.

    Thats exactly what happened to me .

  • This content has been removed.
  • @Paddy4583 said:
    Counter points to what exactly?

    To the thing that was actually said. I see now you didn't even read it, so that's beyond your capability.

  • @Orion said:

    @Paddy4583 said:
    Counter points to what exactly?

    To the thing that was actually said. I see now you didn't even read it, so that's beyond your capability.

    Reading requires a modicum of inteligence though. Not their forte to say the least.

  • Orion said:

    @Paddy4583 said:
    Counter points to what exactly?

    To the thing that was actually said. I see now you didn't even read it, so that's beyond your capability.

    There wasnt anything more to add, he was told they were pretty much the same.

    i was referring to your comment, as you well know which is why you replied, fandom much

  • @Orion said:

    @Paddy4583 said:
    Counter points to what exactly?

    To the thing that was actually said. I see now you didn't even read it, so that's beyond your capability.

    Reading requires a modicum of inteligence though. Not their forte to say the least.

    Baa baa baa