BHVR already said they're happy with how new Ruin PTB is playing out? uhm how

So was this statement accidentally released early, I mean they were clearly going ahead with the change regardless of what feedback they get, but it would have been nice for them to at least pretend for a couple days before they claimed they observed anything to make a judgement on.

Comments

  • So many angry children here holy ######### lol

  • @Almo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/977319#Comment_977319

    I'm sorry you think that. It's not at all how any designer on our team operates. New Ruin went through hours of testing with players ranging from brand new to having thousands of hours in the game. Every designer on the team had feedback on it, plus several programmers, and other people in other disciplines. No fewer than 10 people on the team took a serious look at Ruin before we settled on the current design, but it's probably more like 15.

    This is not to say I think people are wrong for disliking it; everyone has different views on this kind of thing. But these changes were not made lightly or in a hurry. This design was first documented in August of 2019. Usually I've already discussed a design with 4-5 different people on the design team before the first documentation, so it likely had its genesis around June or July of 2019.

    It's understandable with the way these things drop out of nowhere from the community's perspective for people outside the team to think they are sudden. But I assure you they are not. :)

    I'm not a fan of the Ruin change, personally, but I AM A FAN of the ensuing meta shake-up.

    I don't know if that makes sense.

  • @johnmwarner said:

    So was this statement accidentally released early, I mean they were clearly going ahead with the change regardless of what feedback they get, but it would have been nice for them to at least pretend for a couple days before they claimed they observed anything to make a judgement on.

    Because for them the perk is really strong. IDK if it is really bhvr monto played against but these were the experts probably.

  • @gantes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/981452#Comment_981452

    But it's the same for killers. How many killers in red ranks don't know when to drop chase? When to slug? When to patrol hooks or commit to chasing?

    The decision making for most red rank killers is atrocious, just like the survivor gameplay. That's why ranks can't be taken seriously in this game and that's why there's no point making Gatekeeper "more forgiving" when literally everything else about the emblem system is garbage.

    EDIT: I see what you mean perfectly because I'm rank 1 in both sides and as of right now I think I deserve it but I've been there for months and the first time I got it I was absolutely horrendous at this game, and stayed that way for a while, still mantaining red ranks.

    True, although I think killer is a lot less forgiving. A killer who spends too long chasing one person should get one kill at most... but survivors generally feed these killers by being overly altruistic and wanting to get all four out every time.

    But yes a lot of killers do not belong in red, the thing is with bad survivors in red those bad killers will remain in red as long as they don’t have an extremely long streak of games against sweaty four man SWFs which are rare.

  • @Almo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/977319#Comment_977319

    I'm sorry you think that. It's not at all how any designer on our team operates. New Ruin went through hours of testing with players ranging from brand new to having thousands of hours in the game. Every designer on the team had feedback on it, plus several programmers, and other people in other disciplines. No fewer than 10 people on the team took a serious look at Ruin before we settled on the current design, but it's probably more like 15.

    This is not to say I think people are wrong for disliking it; everyone has different views on this kind of thing. But these changes were not made lightly or in a hurry. This design was first documented in August of 2019. Usually I've already discussed a design with 4-5 different people on the design team before the first documentation, so it likely had its genesis around June or July of 2019.

    It's understandable with the way these things drop out of nowhere from the community's perspective for people outside the team to think they are sudden. But I assure you they are not. :)

    Hours of testing with a dozen ish players? None of who despite their thousands of hours are as good as the true rank 1 players.

    Again, your very own matchmaking and ranking system being so bad had lead to this point.

  • @siren_sorceress said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/977420#Comment_977420

    I bet you stopped reading. Couldn't handle a spirit main telling you shes easy and you're just not that good with her cause you chose to rely solely on collision instead of your ears, scratch marks and laughably easy "mind games" she can play on survivors. Anyone that defends spirit I know immediately is ignorant or bias bc I play her. If you stopped reading and only believing the baby killer complaints, and listen to the good ones, you might actually learn something and get better.

    I didn't know she had collision until people started talking about it with the stupid nerfs. Nor did I know about her old window animation. I'd been playing her for a couple months when they announced

  • @siren_sorceress said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/977420#Comment_977420

    4k hrs hun. I 4k with spirit every game. Easy as pie. Sorry you relied on collision instead of your ears lol.

    Sound effects being broken and muted on console prevent that

  • @siren_sorceress said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/977420#Comment_977420

    I bet you stopped reading. Couldn't handle a spirit main telling you shes easy and you're just not that good with her cause you chose to rely solely on collision instead of your ears, scratch marks and laughably easy "mind games" she can play on survivors. Anyone that defends spirit I know immediately is ignorant or bias bc I play her. If you stopped reading and only believing the baby killer complaints, and listen to the good ones, you might actually learn something and get better.

    I stopped reading because it's a stupid argument

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/981047#Comment_981047

    Typically red ranks on both sides- little behind on killer at the moment since I was out of town since the reset. All in all, I went ahead and checked my stats and it turns out I play killer about 53.44% of the time.

    I do agree with what you're saying, although I do think we're talking about a best case scenario. You and I may power through it, but to give an example, what if the other guy is playing with a couple of friends who are newer to the game and haven't been practicing skill checks for the last few years? What quite often happens is that first generator will go off, but then nothing else happens as the rest of the team is running around searching for a totem. Then I have to either decide if I should continue doing generators by myself or go cleanse the totem so the others will help out.

    I wouldn't base the entire thing on a single scenario, there's far too many variables. I can only speak from my personal experience, and I've had plenty of teammates who can't handle it (after over three years).

    My thoughts are about the same as yours in terms of emblems, though. As someone who doesn't use Ruin (or any slowdown perks) myself, I definitely feel it. Thankfully there's also a change to address that aspect, so if someone's concern is their emblem score, it should be lessened at the same time as this change.

    As you said in another thread, the ranking system should readjust those players accordingly. If a Survivor cannot hit a Skill Check, then they do not deserve to play against/with better players. The player who has friends could just simply make an alt account if they cared about the Rank they are at on their main account. The matchmaking is a massive problem as well as I'm sure you are aware due to this.


    Players who cannot hit Skill Checks at the higher Ranks should simply not be there, and the same goes for the player who was the higher Rank in bringing them into a game with them, as they clearly don't care about the rank that they have to begin with (they prefer to casually play than play competitively).


    Sadly, it feels like there is always going to be a Casual/Competitive split in the community and the players that have played through their mistakes and pain are being punished by having to play with Survivors that cannot even hit a Skill Check.


    Survivors have perks such as Prove Thyself, Decisive Strike, etc which can be advised by a better player to be used by teammates (who don't even have to be amazing) to devastate the Killer's chances.


    I don't even care about the number of Kills at this point. I'm the same as Tru3 in that I want to pip. These changes to Ruin cannot be made up by simply changing how 'Gatekeeper' works. The whole system needs a massive overhaul.

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/981047#Comment_981047

    Typically red ranks on both sides- little behind on killer at the moment since I was out of town since the reset. All in all, I went ahead and checked my stats and it turns out I play killer about 53.44% of the time.

    I do agree with what you're saying, although I do think we're talking about a best case scenario. You and I may power through it, but to give an example, what if the other guy is playing with a couple of friends who are newer to the game and haven't been practicing skill checks for the last few years? What quite often happens is that first generator will go off, but then nothing else happens as the rest of the team is running around searching for a totem. Then I have to either decide if I should continue doing generators by myself or go cleanse the totem so the others will help out.

    I wouldn't base the entire thing on a single scenario, there's far too many variables. I can only speak from my personal experience, and I've had plenty of teammates who can't handle it (after over three years).

    My thoughts are about the same as yours in terms of emblems, though. As someone who doesn't use Ruin (or any slowdown perks) myself, I definitely feel it. Thankfully there's also a change to address that aspect, so if someone's concern is their emblem score, it should be lessened at the same time as this change.

    I expected unhelpful apologetics and was not disappointed. Pretty sad.

  • Its just sad how every single time I think that we'll eventually get a valid point or explanation I see another Dev response that is even more mind numbingly ignoring the issues as possible. Every time I feel like I've finally calmed down at the lack of logic I see a new post that gets under my skin again.

  • @johnmwarner said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/981559#Comment_981559

    Hours of testing with a dozen ish players? None of who despite their thousands of hours are as good as the true rank 1 players.

    Again, your very own matchmaking and ranking system being so bad had lead to this point.

    They probably made this decision arbitrarily the night before the announcement, I seriously doubt any thought or work was put into and they're just covering for themselves. We've seen sooooo many weird statements from them that support the idea they don't play at all; honestly I don't think they have internal testing beyond lethal bugfixes

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/981047#Comment_981047

    Typically red ranks on both sides- little behind on killer at the moment since I was out of town since the reset. All in all, I went ahead and checked my stats and it turns out I play killer about 53.44% of the time.

    I do agree with what you're saying, although I do think we're talking about a best case scenario. You and I may power through it, but to give an example, what if the other guy is playing with a couple of friends who are newer to the game and haven't been practicing skill checks for the last few years? What quite often happens is that first generator will go off, but then nothing else happens as the rest of the team is running around searching for a totem. Then I have to either decide if I should continue doing generators by myself or go cleanse the totem so the others will help out.

    I wouldn't base the entire thing on a single scenario, there's far too many variables. I can only speak from my personal experience, and I've had plenty of teammates who can't handle it (after over three years).

    My thoughts are about the same as yours in terms of emblems, though. As someone who doesn't use Ruin (or any slowdown perks) myself, I definitely feel it. Thankfully there's also a change to address that aspect, so if someone's concern is their emblem score, it should be lessened at the same time as this change.

    So survivors who are new to the game aern't supposed to learn how to play the game and get better at it.

    Gotcha.

    Might as well remove skill checks then because that's something you have to learn.

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/981047#Comment_981047

    Typically red ranks on both sides- little behind on killer at the moment since I was out of town since the reset. All in all, I went ahead and checked my stats and it turns out I play killer about 53.44% of the time.

    I do agree with what you're saying, although I do think we're talking about a best case scenario. You and I may power through it, but to give an example, what if the other guy is playing with a couple of friends who are newer to the game and haven't been practicing skill checks for the last few years? What quite often happens is that first generator will go off, but then nothing else happens as the rest of the team is running around searching for a totem. Then I have to either decide if I should continue doing generators by myself or go cleanse the totem so the others will help out.

    I wouldn't base the entire thing on a single scenario, there's far too many variables. I can only speak from my personal experience, and I've had plenty of teammates who can't handle it (after over three years).

    My thoughts are about the same as yours in terms of emblems, though. As someone who doesn't use Ruin (or any slowdown perks) myself, I definitely feel it. Thankfully there's also a change to address that aspect, so if someone's concern is their emblem score, it should be lessened at the same time as this change.

    Here's the thing. You base this on a very specific scenario of new players having trouble making skill checks. What about players who can hit great skill checks every single time? Not that you need great skill checks to progress through ruin, it's just a bit slower. If those new players can't hit good skill checks, then they aren't completing gens anyway. It's funny that the change was made to make gens easier to complete for survivors, but the killers are being told they just have to play better.

    I rarely see anyone actually running around looking for the hex totem. People work on gens and run off when the killer comes. Eventually the hex gets stumbled upon. A lot of times it is right next to a gen. so not a lot of looking is required.

    Plus, I would say that most killers would be OK if the changes removed the Hex part of the perk. Having a perk that is useless in the early game and likely gone later in the game, seems like a very bad balance. And, destroying the totem takes no skill, at all. Why is it that only the killers have to be skilled. Make the game easier for the lowest skilled survivor just makes the game ridiculously easy for the very skilled players, especially if they are coordinating.

    I think many killers would be ok with the change if it wasn't a hex, but having a perk that does nothing for the early game and can be destroyed within the first minute of the game is garbage.

  • @Almo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/977319#Comment_977319

    I'm sorry you think that. It's not at all how any designer on our team operates. New Ruin went through hours of testing with players ranging from brand new to having thousands of hours in the game. Every designer on the team had feedback on it, plus several programmers, and other people in other disciplines. No fewer than 10 people on the team took a serious look at Ruin before we settled on the current design, but it's probably more like 15.

    This is not to say I think people are wrong for disliking it; everyone has different views on this kind of thing. But these changes were not made lightly or in a hurry. This design was first documented in August of 2019. Usually I've already discussed a design with 4-5 different people on the design team before the first documentation, so it likely had its genesis around June or July of 2019.

    It's understandable with the way these things drop out of nowhere from the community's perspective for people outside the team to think they are sudden. But I assure you they are not. :)

    15 ...

    That was all.


    An answer far from the community.


    Do you need a community?

  • @Almo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/977319#Comment_977319

    I'm sorry you think that. It's not at all how any designer on our team operates. New Ruin went through hours of testing with players ranging from brand new to having thousands of hours in the game. Every designer on the team had feedback on it, plus several programmers, and other people in other disciplines. No fewer than 10 people on the team took a serious look at Ruin before we settled on the current design, but it's probably more like 15.

    This is not to say I think people are wrong for disliking it; everyone has different views on this kind of thing. But these changes were not made lightly or in a hurry. This design was first documented in August of 2019. Usually I've already discussed a design with 4-5 different people on the design team before the first documentation, so it likely had its genesis around June or July of 2019.

    It's understandable with the way these things drop out of nowhere from the community's perspective for people outside the team to think they are sudden. But I assure you they are not. :)

    So, how long do killers have to now suffer due to the map team constantly making god awful maps and gen times being basically the time it takes to cross the map?

    How long until toolboxes, which give you a passive benifit for just bringing it that's on a timer that the survivor controls (Unlike ruin which the killer has little control over)?

    How long until survivors that can rush out 2 gens in 40 seconds gets looked at?

    Oh, it doesn't matter because they are survivors and killers just have to accept the game gets to be miserable for them until your bottom line gets hurt by it.

    It's incredibly ######### of you and the team to basically remove a perk that gave low teir killers a chance to fight back and not be constantly stressed because new players didn't want to learn the game.

    Especially when you are refusing to do anything about the core problem that the perk was meant to combat.

    And before you say "Well try it out."

    I have, and oddly enough, HEY I was right, Killers like trapper have no setup time now if they want more than a 1k so they become an M1 killer effectively.

    And if you say "Well it combos great with surveillance." It does, but you also have to put another perk on top of it and use a HEX TOTEM, A ######### HEX TOTEM. As the keystone to that build.

    And because I genuinely believe you can't tell why that's a bad thing, let me use simple words.

    Hex is baby ez to find to hex go byebye mean entire perk pick is now byebye.

  • I'm pretty sure you stopped reading bc you couldn't make a better one. Oops.

  • Killers stuck on the devs saying ruin is being nerfed bc new players....hello every red rank killer uses ruin. Clearly it was not only effective against "new" players. Half the time killers complain about ruin bc it's so inconsistent every match. RIP the ruin bandaid off and allow them to see how gen rush goes without it and THEN let them balance gens accordingly. They cant rework gens when ruin is constantly giving off different results every match. You really want ruin to be meta forever?

  • @siren_sorceress said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/982726#Comment_982726

    I'm pretty sure you stopped reading bc you couldn't make a better one. Oops.

    Lol oaf

1 2 3 ›