Is SWF really that powerful

I personally always seem to play better when I am playing solo compared to when in SWF. I believe it's because when I'm playing solo I'm more focused on the game, whereas in SWF I'm often talking about stuff unrelated to the game and not really paying attention.

SWF is often related to gen rush, but good survivors don't need to know when to work on generators. If I'm not being chased I'll work on a generator (I ignore ruin). I've already pre-planned my chase route in case the killer disturbs my gen progress.

Where SWF is strong is the location of Hex Totems and saving time when making hook saves. Even with hook saves there's perks such as bond and kindred that tell the solo survivor if there is already another survivor going for the save.

Another factor with SWF is Matchmaking. Since the Strange Things chapter the matchmaking bases it on the highest ranked survivor in the group. The majority of SWF groups I see are one or two high ranked survivors with the rest being of low ranked. I'd rather go against one red rank survivor with three low ranked survivors with comms over four red ranked survivors without comms.

This is just my opinion, people will disagree with my opinion. With the rift challenges I have more confidence in completing them solo then I do completing them in a SWF.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Yeah it kinda does, imagine one survivor knowing where the killer is means the whole SWF knows where the killer is, it makes a big difference from a "go now" to yelling at the scream "hes not here come unhook me!!!" "Or I found the ruin, I'm being chased but its by blah blah blah". its POWERFUL...

    SWF = One team one Decision

    SOLO= There could potentially be 4 different desicions.

    Never will i understand why some argue its not that big of a deal,???? coms and information between survivors is very very powerful.

  • SWF is stronger than Solo's by I'd say about 20% effectiveness, but they are also more likely to make huge mistakes trying to save a friend. They also got a weird get cocky way easier. Like when I chase a person off of a gen when it had two people on it, very frequently I can smack one of them, pretend to chase them and immediately go back and smack the other person who decided to sit around and do the gen. Which makes spreading the damage easier than solos.

    Advantages to me are mostly when it comes to finding ruin, if one finds it they all know where it's at. They can be more effective when going for unhooks, because they can say who is the closest. They can give warnings to where the killer might be headed, or let them know they are being chased. They can also somewhat avoid the second surprise of certain perks like spirit fury and enduring, or if the killer is Michael or something. It's small bits of information, but important information.

    Solo's make mistakes due to lack of information, but they are usually minor mistakes, like two people leaving a gen to go for a save instead of just one, they are also more cautious, and far less altruistic most of the time. But that lack of information makes them slower, and sometimes it can get a teammate killed earlier than normal if no one goes for the save, or doesn't realize someone is in a chase, while someone is on the hook.

    Over all SWF to me isn't broken, I actually think the game is balanced around SWF and less so with solo's. But SWF requires you to do some high level critical thinking, that you may not be ready for, or even want to do when you just want to relax and kill some survivors. Which can cause frustration.

    Also bond is a highly effective perk even in SWF, because it can still give you information to tell your teammates. You can guide them towards exit gates and also take a hit while they are trying to get there, let others know exactly where the action is going down. You can find your teammates gen and work with them on it without them having to try and describe where they are, same for getting heals. You can find the hatch with it once again without having to try and figure out where it's at and how to explain it when it's in the middle of no where on a map. Lots of small things, but they add up. It's useful pretty much always.

  • Posts like these always a use me. Everyone who admits to using comms always says "Oh we NEVER use comms to talk about the game going on in front of us."

    With so many good-hearted, fair and unbiased people playing this game I don't understand how it's a problem for anyone. Must be a bug.

  • @knell said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/928296#Comment_928296

    "hope a random is going for them?"

    What if the randoms, like you, determine that the hooked survivor is too far away from their curent position? Your decision just now has cost the survivor-side one hook stage which wouldn't have happened with a competent SWF. 

    It's a judgement thing, if that scenario happens then so be it. In most cases if I'm on a generator and there's a hooked survivor on the other side of the map from me, in most cases it would be pointless for me to abandon my gen and go for the save. By the time I would get there the player would have been unhooked.

    Normally due to bond I'll know if another survivor is going for the save or not. Kindred is also very popular since it's buff.

    Regardless, it doesn't change my point that a killer will struggle against four good survivors regardless if they are using comms or not.

  • Literally every game I SWF benefits the killer. My rank is usually 3-6 and my friends are 15-17. Going against a red or purple killer with three 15-17s is a nightmare. We can play for hours and not power all five gens a single time. In fact, this is so often the case that four people I tried to introduce to this game stopped playing, and I just play solo now. It can't be good for the game that it's so miserable to get new people to play. I find it funny that the forums are full of people screaming about how unfair and toxic SWF is when in some cases, it gives the killers a huge advantage.

  • @Sylorknag said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/927655#Comment_927655

    Because survivors aren't supposed to have that kind of information without certain perks.

    As a solo, survivors will waste time going for the unhooks at the same time or finding the killer chilling by the hooked person.

    SWF completely negates this aspect of the game without sacrificing a perk slot for kindred.

    You seemed annoyed by camping (which is technically the killer throwing the game), thus I don't expect you to understand how broken SWF is compared to solos.

    You are the absolute worst type of killers

  • @Nutty_Professor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/928307#Comment_928307

    It's a judgement thing, if that scenario happens then so be it. In most cases if I'm on a generator and there's a hooked survivor on the other side of the map from me, in most cases it would be pointless for me to abandon my gen and go for the save. By the time I would get there the player would have been unhooked.

    Normally due to bond I'll know if another survivor is going for the save or not. Kindred is also very popular since it's buff.

    Regardless, it doesn't change my point that a killer will struggle against four good survivors regardless if they are using comms or not.

    But I just showed you an example of a killer struggling LESS against 4 good solo survivors compared to 4 good SWF survivors. Because the circumstances like above wouldn't happen to 4 good SWF survivors. You say it's "a judgment thing," but the fact is, it's only a matter of judgment for a group of solos, because the right answer is already provided for a SWF group. And the entire game consists of these continuous "judgments" and "so be it" scenarios for solos, while SWF are handed the right calls time after time on a silver platter.

  • Isn't the point of playing as a killer against a group of survivors that the survivors COULD work together and when they do it's COULD be a synergistic interaction? When playing as a killer that should be taken as a challenge instead of whining that there's no perk to counter it. Take it as a chance to get better.

    I play SWF all the time with my children and they are awful but we play to have fun. And we always die... so where's my perk to counter that?!!! Or how about when they play solo... shouldn't the other survivors get a boost??!!

    Honestly I wouldn't have bought the game without SWF.

    And yes we do tell each other who the killer is. And why not? The killer sees us in the lobby so why can't we all know who it is. Who cares honestly. It doesn't make any difference in the end.

  • @Galklife said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/927227#Comment_927227

    this game wasnt designed to be alive after 3,5 years (noone expected that) and this game is alive because of SWF

    The game is alive because of the steady content stream and the ability to get licensed characters. The game was literally going to die right up until the Myers dlc came out. It not only brought old players at the time back, but brought in fresh players and increased overall retention. SWF was never a driving factor of how this game has survived. It was in the game and due to game's reputation of being buggy, difficult to matchmake in, and not having particularly interesting content it was in the same position as Deathgarden.

    The entire landscape of the game changed with the introduction of licensed content. They got more revenue, retention, and player gain that has steadily increased till now where it has sort of plateaued.

  • From my experience with SWF, you have a few types you encounter. The well coordinated ones who have hundreds of hours in the game that fall into the subcategories of 1: Wanting to win and will bully the killer as much as possible. 2: Wanting to have a relaxing game. Sure they want to win but they won't be toxic.

    You also have the ones who don't really care about winning.

    And then you have the toxic ones who'll basically call the killer out for basically anything they felt they did wrong. I've run into 2-3 stack SWFs who basically would accuse the killer of either camping, or tunneling.

    I feel some people just have the stipulation that ALL SWF are overpowered. Some can be, but honestly I like the survivor's to be a bit of a challenge. Personally if I do SWF we're there to have a good time.

  • @MyNamePete said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/927885#Comment_927885

    Nurse and Spirit got nerfed because they were annoying/frustrating to go against and WERE too powerful. Freddy received his nerf because he was annoying and boring to go against with how slow the addons affected.

    SWF isnt geting nerfed because as I said, they usually arent THAT powerful

    Yeah that is wrong.

    Nurse was too strong only in red ranks. Across all ranks it was the weakest killer even before. Your argument and the argument of people who defend SWF sayin well yeah they can be totally gamebreaking but usually they are not is null and void. It is like sayin old nurse was totally fine because most nurse players sucked at playing.

    Sorry if this is how you think games should be balanced, than you are not interested in balance at all.

  • @Galklife said:

    SWF is most of the time scapegoat for explaining why "i almighty killer main could lose" xd

    imo biggest strenght of SWF is not in voicecoms (like most ppl will cry about here, just give them a minute) but you most of the time will have 4 decent survivors so you wont have random running it down, or suiciding on 1st hook

    and tbh thats main reason why i play swf just to not have random in team that will solo throw the game xd (i play without comms)

    so its not like SWF is strong, not having survivor or 2 that will throw game is strong

    edit: and most of the time when i play soloQ and play with 3 decent survs, we're getting called "SWF" just because we're decent and can coop

    Exactly what I say but killer mains think it's the free "bond" and for some reason they think every swf has a ooo player spotting killer entire game like we dont know if hes in chase or not anyways lol.

  • @Nutty_Professor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/927052#Comment_927052

    In my opinion there isn't much difference between a 4 man SWF group and four good survivors playing solo. The game will probably end the same. Before the Archives I played at high ranks as killer as well.

    With good survivors you try not to waste too much time with them, and look for a weaker survivor that will waste pallets. Whereas if you are going against four good survivors no matter if they are in SWF or solo you will have to waste a lot to be able to down any of them. Most killers will have a hard time going against four good survivors regardless if they are all solo or in SWF.

    That is the point I tried making a couple of times. Comms do make a swf team really strong but I put their success as a team down to them all being good survivors.

    I was playing with my friend last night and we played about 10 games. We lost or nearly every game because of mistakes our 2 ransoms made, and it made me understand why I play 4 man teams. Whether one dc after going down or whether they do something crazy like both hide in a stall against a tier 3 myers on the game map (good survivors wouldn't stay in the bathroom when they know myers tier 3 may be coming).

    If we found any good survivors during our games (we didn't) we would have invited them to our team because they are reliable. One less bad survivor guaranteed for the next game.

  • @ReikoMori said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/927259#Comment_927259

    The game is alive because of the steady content stream and the ability to get licensed characters. The game was literally going to die right up until the Myers dlc came out. It not only brought old players at the time back, but brought in fresh players and increased overall retention. SWF was never a driving factor of how this game has survived. It was in the game and due to game's reputation of being buggy, difficult to matchmake in, and not having particularly interesting content it was in the same position as Deathgarden.

    The entire landscape of the game changed with the introduction of licensed content. They got more revenue, retention, and player gain that has steadily increased till now where it has sort of plateaued.

    you can think this way but there is a reason why there is hell a lot swf between red rank and R15-20, because someone brings friends

    and this game grew much more thanks to being able to play with friend than because of any dlc (maybe all of them combined) would do without swf and you know why? because friend is telling friend look there is (random dlc name) in game, wanna play together???

  • SWF is only more powerful if it's being used to constantly share information like the killer's position. If a team isn't dealing with that much, it's not a big deal.

  • @Nutty_Professor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/927899#Comment_927899

    No, I said I do worst in SWF because I'm not concentrating on the game as much as I do in solo. In solo rather than talking to friends I'm just focusing on planning my next chase route.

    As a killer I've played against a group of four mediocre survivors be really strong due to their team work. Generally good survivors don't need comms to play optimally, like you don't need to comms to know that if you are not being chased by the killer, do a generator.

    To sum it up four good solo survivors will be just as challenging for the killer as SWF.

    Except 4 mediocre or even great solo survivors still wont have the invaluable knowledge swf gives you. I feel like a lot of what youre saying can be attributed to you not playing killer but i think this should be pretty obvious to a survivor main lol. Maybe its because you just have random convos while in SWF, and theres nothing wrong with that btw, but if you do actually communicate with each other you get 4 sets of eyes

  • Swf groups with good survivors are extremely powerful. Just being in a swf group doesn't instantly make you powerful.

  • Limitless perks with instant feedback and continuous location of the killer? You betcha'.

1 2 ›