On 99% Exit Gates - one possible change

We all do this: 99% an exit gate to avoid EGC and Bloodwarden.

Someone already proposed to make Exit Gates slowly regress if not fully opened, but that would be unfair in certain scenarios.

But what if...

Exit Gates can go till 90% as it is now, but the last 10% must be completed in one go. If a survivor stops opening the gate, the gate regresses to 90%.

A slight UI change would be nice to easily tell survivors what's going on, I can imagine two ways to do this:

  • add a vertical bar at the 90% mark. Once the progress reaches the vertical bar it lights up, and stays lit even if the survivor leaves the door.
  • the "Opening Exit Gate" progress bar stays the same, but the time to completely fill it is 9/10 (...90%). The wording changes from "Opening Exit Gate" to "Unlocking Exit Gate". When this step is completed, the progress bar resets to a new "Opening Exit Gate", which visualises the remaining 10%.


It could be even possible to add an audio cue for the killer once a gate reaches the 90% status, not that important, but still..


EDIT: to whoever is curious on why I propose this change, I elaborated it a bit in this reply: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/913346/#Comment_913346

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @Nobsyde said:

    We all do this: 99% an exit gate to avoid EGC and Bloodwarden.

    Someone already proposed to make Exit Gates slowly regress if not fully opened, but that would be unfair in certain scenarios.

    But what if...

    Exit Gates can go till 90% as it is now, but the last 10% must be completed in one go. If a survivor stops opening the gate, the gate regresses to 90%.

    A slight UI change would be nice to easily tell survivors what's going on, I can imagine two ways to do this:

    • add a vertical bar at the 90% mark. Once the progress reaches the vertical bar it lights up, and stays lit even if the survivor leaves the door.
    • the "Opening Exit Gate" progress bar stays the same, but the time to completely fill it is 9/10 (...90%). The wording changes from "Opening Exit Gate" to "Unlocking Exit Gate". When this step is completed, the progress bar resets to a new "Opening Exit Gate", which visualises the remaining 10%.

    It could be even possible to add an audio cue for the killer once a gate reaches the 90% status, not that important, but still..

    No. EGC is already a huge change that favors killers. Open the gate yourself if you want to apply pressure.

  • I could very well just fully regress in 2 minutes so still quite slowly and you need very little time to open it from the start anyway.

  • @HeroLives said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/914156#Comment_914156

    You can lose out on potential kills by cutting the match shorter

    killer can guard the doors until egc counts out

    noed

    I think in the end it will be about the same results for both sides as it is now, so why change the coding for it? Just seems like unnecessary work, where their efforts could be put to better use.

    I don’t understand any of the points you made, I’ll be honest - are you sure you’ve read correctly what I propose to change?

    it seems to me you are afraid of an early EGC, which is not the case. For example, what does “the killer could guard the doors until egc counts out” mean in this context?

    As for the “devs have better things to do” part - I couldn’t disagree more. Devs have exactly this to do: balance the game and add nuances to gameplay. Programming wise I seriously doubt this would be “a lot of work”, it’s not like I’m asking for a 8 vs 2 mode :)

  • @meatisadelicacy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112231/on-99-exit-gates-one-possible-change

    No. EGC is already a huge change that favors killers. Open the gate yourself if you want to apply pressure.

    That's not what I want. I want survivors to have to make a choice, instead of having an optimal strategy that works 100% of the time.

  • 99ing shouldnt be a thing.

    And BW could queue its activation once doors are powered. Like adrenaline on hooked survivors.

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/914173#Comment_914173

    That's not what I want. I want survivors to have to make a choice, instead of having an optimal strategy that works 100% of the time.

    If YOU want the doors open as soon as the last gen pops then go open it yourself. They made it where you can do it ya know.You CAN , I’ve done it. If you don’t understand any of my points,then that sounds like a personal problem to me. What I wrote is legible.

    if the last survivor is up the killer will usually go back and forth by the doors until the last survivor dies to egc, which is fair I guess. I don’t like the idea of being put on a timer to get a door open when the killer can essentially do the same thing, or noed is active. Sure it’s easier with more survivors, but I mean how many ways do you want a killer to capitalize off sitting in a single spot almost?

    the survivors have won at that point, why make it even harder than it is now to get out , when the kill rate is already so high?

  • I'm pretty sure that's why the doors open kinda slow the gates aren't really a big deal tbh

  • @HeroLives said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/914222#Comment_914222

    If YOU want the doors open as soon as the last gen pops then go open it yourself. They made it where you can do it ya know.You CAN , I’ve done it. If you don’t understand any of my points,then that sounds like a personal problem to me. What I wrote is legible.

    if the last survivor is up the killer will usually go back and forth by the doors until the last survivor dies to egc, which is fair I guess. I don’t like the idea of being put on a timer to get a door open when the killer can essentially do the same thing, or noed is active. Sure it’s easier with more survivors, but I mean how many ways do you want a killer to capitalize off sitting in a single spot almost?

    the survivors have won at that point, why make it even harder than it is now to get out , when the kill rate is already so high?

    I don’t understand your points because they are not detailed enough to be understandable. The cat on the moon asked the hitchhiker if during the summer it was ready is “legible” as well, you know :)

    For example now you are talking about 1v1 situations after the hatch has been closed - that’s a fair point, but you weren’t talking about it before. If you thought you were, you need to realise that people can’t read your mind.

    I hope this will help you in the future, take care and merry Christmas.

  • @Raptorrotas said:

    99ing shouldnt be a thing.

    And BW could queue its activation once doors are powered. Like adrenaline on hooked survivors.

    Just open the gates yourself then. If the reason survivors 99 the gates is so that they can try to make saves without the pressure of the EGC which heavily favors the killers, OPEN THE GATE.

  • ??

    EGC is already killer sided af, gates spawn is killer sided af.

    If anything pls add tiny cat door in the gates just so I could crawl away from slug

  • @Monlyth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/913022#Comment_913022

    Don't dodge the question, dude: When was the last time you actually had a good opportunity to open the exit gates as Killer, and opening the exit gates actually had an impact on the outcome of a match?

    It's been mentioned time and time again since the devs implemented it. EGC was designed as a way to prevent survivors from taking the game hostage and avoid stalemates. As killers, we can try to use it strategically in every way we like. However, the fact that there aren't many options is not reason to have a buff so that it helps getting kills, because that wasn't the reason for its implementation.

  • @concious_consumer said:

    ??

    EGC is already killer sided af, gates spawn is killer sided af.

    If anything pls add tiny cat door in the gates just so I could crawl away from slug

    My point exactly, devs tiny cat door when?

  • Funny that nobody sees the "killer opens door" option for what it is. A surrender.

    And EGC isnt as killersided you think. Either theres an already opened door or 1-5 generators were just finished for you. The only time its so called killer sided is if the survivor is stupid enough to be in front of the killer as the hatch is closed.

  • You want to change the exit gate and my first thought: why do you want to change it? It's fine how it is now imo.

  • @DwightOP said:

    You want to change the exit gate and my first thought: why do you want to change it? It's fine how it is now imo.

    I think I explained it. I even elaborated a bit more in this reply: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/913346/#Comment_913346

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/912979#Comment_912979

    This is such a bruh moment. A 99% gate is only different from an open gate because the EGC does not activate. Yes, it is worth the killer's time to activate the EGC

    Incredibly situational but not unheard of.

    Tru3 had a match as Pig where he purposely opened a gate to trigger Bloodwarden and it actually worked.

  • @MegaWaffle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/912997#Comment_912997

    Incredibly situational but not unheard of.

    Tru3 had a match as Pig where he purposely opened a gate to trigger Bloodwarden and it actually worked.

    Ah a man of culture

  • Killers are already racking up great numbers of free kills from EGC overall - I don't see the problem with survivors being smart about when to trigger it. 99% has always been a precaution for Blood Warden since the perk came out.

    If 99% gates are a problem to you, then you got bigger problems than just that.

  • I don't see any problems with the current system. This sounds like an unnecessary survivor nerf.

  • @darktrix said:

    Killers are already racking up great numbers of free kills from EGC overall - I don't see the problem with survivors being smart about when to trigger it. 99% has always been a precaution for Blood Warden since the perk came out.

    If 99% gates are a problem to you, then you got bigger problems than just that.

    there's no need to be rude and try to make a straw man and personalise the matter, be respectful, thank you.

    99% is not a problem, like everything else is not a problem, but I think that 90% would make things more interesting, and I explained why.

    Now, if you want to add something to the conversation, I'll be glad to hear you out.

  • @ygnea said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/913156#Comment_913156

    If you're camping EGC doesn't affect you at all lmfao? What is your point?

    Actually it does because if you can't open the door on you're own then there's no crunch on the survivors to make the save other than the bleeding out and youre now back to the same game pre EGC

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    Or what if killers could open exit gates survivors have 99'd?

    They can

1 2 ›