Why is it so hard for developers to be fully transparent with their communities?

I just don't understand it, it seems to me if the developers actually talked to and asked the community on pressing issues via the forums the game would get a lot better and things would go a lot smoother. But community managers seem to cherry pick on the topics they intervene on, and mostly stay away from the pressing issues that cause much backlash or have controversy to them. I'm never went to school for public relations and all that but it seems pretty obvious to me honesty and clarity is the way to go, but is seems BHVR's dev team disagree's, I just am asking an honest question and would like an honest answer without any fluff speak.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @anarchy753 said:

    Because absolute transparency makes the community feel like they have the right to demand this, that and the other thing even more than they already do. It's still the devs' game and it's up to them what happens.

    Also a lot of what we see comes through community managers, we get responses when there's an agreed upon response to be had. It's probably the same reason we don't see a lot of devstreams any more, they get sick of saying "That's an interesting idea, but it's not on our radar at the moment."

    Peanits does a lot of responding, and is more often than not the voice of reason on "nerf X" posts to point out why suggestions are simply not a fair change, but they don't need to respond to every single thread to be active.

    When there is a severe issue, and people are demanding answers or changes, it's probably better for them to stay quiet than to say something uncertain and be held to that later. Like the Tome changes, there were pages of threads on it, but there's no sense saying "we're looking into it" until they actually knew for sure that changes would be made, or they may have to return with "nothing's changing" which would feel worse with false hope.

    The devs at every community event: "This isn't our game anymore, it belongs to the community"

    Also the devs: *digs legion up out of his shallow, unmarked grave only to bury him in a deeper, more difficult to discover, unmarked grave*

  • @LoverOfDemogorgon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/896757#Comment_896757

    The devs cherry pick the heck out of those questions too, and they seem always resilient to ever go into specifics until patch notes on pressing issues, and hardly ever talk about the reasoning, and if they ever do the reasoning is backwards as heck and no one agree's with it. I would quote almo's response post to why the dev team nerfed deep wound all together instead of you know... NERFING THE LEGION ADDONS ONLY WHICH WAS THE ISSUE. They were okay with buffing borrowed time of all perks and hurting legion even more because... well your guess is as good as mine

    Bull$***.

    So long as you are not acting like a clown, they generally do listen. They took this guys feedback right to the team directly: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/110693/a-couple-of-qol-improvements-that-would-make-legion-a-lot-better-devs-please-read#latest


    because he was rational; collected, thought about what he was saying.

    I've seen them respond to numerous Legion threads, say EXACTLY what the reasons were.

    As for the AMA we know they can't answer every one of them but I bet they answer all the main ones, I bet they talk about Legion, about Oni, about all of the major topics; because they HAVE to pick the most important ones they can't answer everything.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/896763#Comment_896763

    Bullshit.

    So long as you are not acting like a clown, they generally do listen. They took this guys feedback right to the team directly: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/110693/a-couple-of-qol-improvements-that-would-make-legion-a-lot-better-devs-please-read#latest

    because he was rational; collected, thought about what he was saying.

    I've seen them respond to numerous Legion threads, say EXACTLY what the reasons were.

    As for the AMA we know they can't answer every one of them but I bet they answer all the main ones, I bet they talk about Legion, about Oni, about all of the major topics; because they HAVE to pick the most important ones they can't answer everything.

    I totally agree with you, and you seem like a reasonable person. Just wanted to say that it might be a good idea to edit that first word - even though it's not censored by the profanity filer, one of the syllables in it is, so it may still be considered too vulgar for the forums. Better to be safe than sorry, I figure! 😊

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/896763#Comment_896763

    Bullshit.

    So long as you are not acting like a clown, they generally do listen. They took this guys feedback right to the team directly: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/110693/a-couple-of-qol-improvements-that-would-make-legion-a-lot-better-devs-please-read#latest

    because he was rational; collected, thought about what he was saying.

    I've seen them respond to numerous Legion threads, say EXACTLY what the reasons were.

    As for the AMA we know they can't answer every one of them but I bet they answer all the main ones, I bet they talk about Legion, about Oni, about all of the major topics; because they HAVE to pick the most important ones they can't answer everything.

    Thank you.

    Constructive criticism is what devs focus on because, guess what, it is constructive. Destructive feedback is useful only to let other people you're upset.

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    Yeah, My 9 page thread with 75 upvotes on the top post in General here? This one: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/109666/dramatic-but-this-is-how-i-feel-now/p1

    Yeah i asked Peanits about it on his stream and he told me "Oh I saw it, but I will be honest I didn't read it. It was clear you were upset, and we only read threads when they are Calm and Collected."

    Oh well, sorry for being upset you gutted my favorite Killer again and made me lose faith in all of you. When he saw it was me asking about Legion and if they saw how many people thought they were bad now he said "Oh There's gonna be some bias in this."

    Despite your temper tantrum getting 75 upvotes, it was still a temper tantrum. Behave like an adult and you will be treated like an adult.

  • They afraid to say they messed up legion

  • @LoverOfDemogorgon said:

    I just don't understand it, it seems to me if the developers actually talked to and asked the community on pressing issues via the forums the game would get a lot better and things would go a lot smoother. But community managers seem to cherry pick on the topics they intervene on, and mostly stay away from the pressing issues that cause much backlash or have controversy to them. I'm never went to school for public relations and all that but it seems pretty obvious to me honesty and clarity is the way to go, but is seems BHVR's dev team disagree's, I just am asking an honest question and would like an honest answer without any fluff speak.

    Part of it feels like they don't wanna say anything they'll regret, it'd look bad if they said one thing and did the opposite.

  • The one thing people are forgetting is that with enough public outcry this will make the devs notice.

    They can label it bias all they want, but they can't ignore it if the playerbase is putting pressure on them.

  • Additionally,

    The best way to get the attention of a company is not through the use of Pathos. To spike pity or guilt doesn't work, and it looks like you are upset and not thinking about it calmly.

    Try laying out your suggestion free of personal emotion, and in a structure that is clear and understandable.

    See if you get results this way.

    (I've read Ulven's post. I would have concluded that the post would be a little on the bias side because of the tone.)

    I've done my own bit of forum browsing suggestions and forwarding to the dev team myself, it's quite tiring. And not everyone can be catered to.

  • @brokedownpalace said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/896704#Comment_896704

    Despite your temper tantrum getting 75 upvotes, it was still a temper tantrum. Behave like an adult and you will be treated like an adult.

    It's really cute how yall keep trying to make me mad.

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    Yeah, My 9 page thread with 75 upvotes on the top post in General here? This one: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/109666/dramatic-but-this-is-how-i-feel-now/p1

    Yeah i asked Peanits about it on his stream and he told me "Oh I saw it, but I will be honest I didn't read it. It was clear you were upset, and we only read threads when they are Calm and Collected."

    Oh well, sorry for being upset you gutted my favorite Killer again and made me lose faith in all of you. When he saw it was me asking about Legion and if they saw how many people thought they were bad now he said "Oh There's gonna be some bias in this."

    Well this is actually a very smart thing to do as a community manager, especially when talking about those types of topics. Talking to someone who is under emotional stress can be no different then bashing your head against the wall. Calm and collected picking saves time, effort and you don't suffer any risk of possibly getting flustered yourself and making a slip up.


    I totally understand why they do this and I don't mind it.

  • @LoverOfDemogorgon said:

    I just don't understand it, it seems to me if the developers actually talked to and asked the community on pressing issues via the forums the game would get a lot better and things would go a lot smoother. But community managers seem to cherry pick on the topics they intervene on, and mostly stay away from the pressing issues that cause much backlash or have controversy to them. I'm never went to school for public relations and all that but it seems pretty obvious to me honesty and clarity is the way to go, but is seems BHVR's dev team disagree's, I just am asking an honest question and would like an honest answer without any fluff speak.

    Legally its impossible due to NDA.

  • @LoverOfDemogorgon said:

    I just don't understand it, it seems to me if the developers actually talked to and asked the community on pressing issues via the forums the game would get a lot better and things would go a lot smoother. But community managers seem to cherry pick on the topics they intervene on, and mostly stay away from the pressing issues that cause much backlash or have controversy to them. I'm never went to school for public relations and all that but it seems pretty obvious to me honesty and clarity is the way to go, but is seems BHVR's dev team disagree's, I just am asking an honest question and would like an honest answer without any fluff speak.

    People nag them too much. Also there's no talking to gammas, and there are some of them here.

1 2 ›