How you can apply pressure with killers?

I see many people here when will defend the survivors they will say if you apply pressure as killer then survivors will not complete 5 gen in 4 minutes.

When you play as killer you must find the first survivors and chase him around the loops in order to move to the next survivor, if you see that the survivor is a good looper you let him go. But this does not help the killer because you need to find a new survivor and at the same time you leave another to work on the gen.

For my experience, i see that if you don't play killer that can down survivors really fast you will waste a lot of time around loops try to hit and down one survivor. The thing is those killers are the strong ones and the ones that most survivors find unfun and thas the ones that get change.

So i want to hear your opinions on how you as a killer can apply constant pressure on the game.

Comments

  • Depends on the rank really

    Theres little you can do at red ranks except use Spirit, Freddy, Billy (Nurse on PC).

    You really need high mobility killers and the right perks just about now

  • So it all comes down to what Killer you're playing and if you're good at them, all Killers apply pressure in their own way except Clown; unless you count your skill with him as pressure but I don't.

    When I play Freddy my pressure comes from how disadvantaged I make Survivors, I play dirty as Freddy as we all should when we put on that glove. I use Knockout, Thana, Devour, and either Dying Light or STBFL. That build is amazing for slowing down Survivors applying pressure with healing, finding their friends, and a deadly totem, all combined with me smacking them in the face; beautiful pressure.

    If I'm playing Ghostface though I have to apply pressure differently as their strengths and weaknesses are different and require special tactics. I need to use my stealth as much as possible, use cover, keep them all injured, location perks, anti-heal perks, my pressure comes purely from them not knowing where I am. Maybe I'm camping, maybe I'm on the edge of the map, maybe I'm creeping right next to them at that gen, their confusion and paranoia is pressure.

    If I'm playing Clown my pressure comes from me downing them as fast as possible, my power has no real map pressure, I am purely a chase Killer, period. My perks are very important and usually help me with chases too so I can down them faster, Devour Hope is a favorite of mine, it is something I can fall back on if it stays up long enough and gives them something else to do if it scares them enough. I can't chase for to o long though, if they're running me around then I break it off and find a weaker person, if I can weed out the little ones then the big one has no one to do the gens for them as I chase.

  • Whispers is great for finding people quickly. Probably the best tracking perk in the game.

  • Hook people quickly or down people quickly. You need to make the survivors do something other than generators. Rescuing from a hook>picking up off the ground>chase>heal. Remember that survivors don't have to take altruistic actions unless they are picking a teammate up or rescuing them. Injuring and leaving a survivor doesn't force them off of a generator. Pay attention to generator placement. You sacrifice a little pressure early to more later by thinking 3 or 4 gen early and tightening your patrols.

  • Depends on the killer that you are playing mostly, you gain pressure by snowballing. By downing, by injuring (sometimes) and by hooking. Each of these causes at least one or two survivors to have to do something that is not helping generator progression. Injuring is kinda of iffy because some survivors heal while at higher ranks you will get more that will not heal because they know it is more beneficial to them. Mostly your pressure depends on the power you decide to use in the long run. But there is one thing I'd like to emphasize, gen strategies. So many people seem to forget that gen placement matters I see tons of killers that just think that the only thing that matters is getting in the chase and getting downs. While this matters substantially if you know how to trick survivors into giving you a ton of pressure by making the last 4 or 3 gens close to you, you get a tremendous amount of pressure. The location of generators should be taken into consideration when you are playing on both sides for that matter.

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    Don't like being gen rushed? Want to get survivors off those pesky generators? Win chases quickly but still get bronze or lower gate keeper? Here is how you maximize pressure on gens!

    First off a definition. There are many ways we could define Gen pressure but this is the definition I am going with:

    • Gen Pressure = The factors that force Survivors to not repair Generators.

    An important thing to note here is that:

    A - Survivors can be off generators for reasons besides gen pressure. For example disarming Trapper traps is usually not an example of gen pressure (although sometimes it can be), same goes for other optional tasks like Sabotaging hooks and opening chests. For our purposes we will assume Survivors are reasonably altruistic however and will stop doing gens if there is a big enough threat they need to deal with.

    B - You can stall the game with means besides gen pressure. For example Dying Light doesn't increase your gen pressure but stalls the game, same deal with regression and perks related to it.

    Gen pressure is a subcategory of stall and is by far the most effective method of stalling the game.

    Gen pressure can be quantified in terms of the number of Survivors not doing gens on average as a result of the preformed action. This will be referred to as GPR short for Gen Pressure Rating for the rest of this thread. At the start of the game your GPR is always 0.

    Basics:

    The easiest way to get gen pressure is to chase a survivor. While you are chasing a survivor that survivor cannot do objectives meaning it has a GPR of 1.

    Sometimes you can get lucky and find multiple survivors at once. Until they split up none of them can do gens giving you an even higher GPR, however they usually split up quickly. The idea behind juggling is that you can repeatedly switch between chasing multiple survivors in order to pressure all of them, however unless they group up this is impractical without additional factors and thus shouldn't be done at the start of the game unless your Power/Build has some synergy with the strategy.

    The absolute best form of Gen Pressure however is a downed/hooked survivor. For the purposes of GPR a downed and a Hooked survivor are each identical to each other. Having a hooked survivor means

    A: That survivor cannot do generators

    and

    B: Another survivor has to leave gens in order to save them

    This means it has a GPR of 2 AND it doesn't require you to actively do anything once they are Hooked/Slugged, meaning you can chase a survivor while this is happening for a total GPR of 3! This is why snowballing is so important. If you can keep this amount of pressure going throughout the game then you should have plenty of time to get enough downs in order to win.

    Note: If you camp then the survivors likely won't go for the save, thus leaving you with a GPR of 1 instead of 2 or 3.

    This is also why the early game is so important. Once you get a hook Survivors are working on gens at 1/4th their normal speed. Meaning up until that point the Generators go incredibly quick unless you have Ruin.

    The 3rd basic way to gen gen pressure is Killing a survivor. This gives a permanent GPR +1 for the rest of the game. If you Kill a survivor and Hook another then you can easily get the max GPR of 4 thus stalling the game indefinitely so long as you can keep someone on the Hook.

    This also shows the ups and downs of tunneling. In the long run a dead survivor is the best form of pressure you can have. However in the short term a Hooked survivor is worth twice as much pressure as a dead one since another survivor needs to go for the save. Generally the long term pressure is better but it's still worth keeping in mind when prioritizing your targets.

    Situational Pressure effects:

    Injuring a Survivor does not necessarily force them off of gens per say. However as more and more survivors are injured things become more and more risky thus making survivors want to heal anyways. The existence of the no heal meta means a few people being injured isn't a big deal. But if everyone is injured you risk everyone being slugged.

    Thus injuring survivors has an estimated GPR of 0.25 per injured survivor unless you are the Plague.

    Also some Killers can get pressure from their power. For example:

    Legion's DW effect

    Pig's RBT

    and

    Doctors Madness tier 3

    All of these have a GPR of 1 per survivor effected and of these Legion has the most reliable form of it but also the fastest to remove.

    Something harder to quantify is where you block off specific Generators rather than stopping a survivor from doing ANY generator. For example Corrupt intervention blocks 3 gens for 120 seconds. And both Trapper and Freddy can block off a Generator with a few traps.

    In the event that the survivor needs to do the blocked generator that survivor is pressured for the time it takes to disarm the trap in one way or another. Until they do gen progress can be completely blocked by trapping multiple generators this way and guarding the rest yourself. This is the basis behind the 3 gen strategy.

    Be careful when doing this. It won't last forever and should only be used to recover and relying on it is doomed to fail if you aren't also getting Hooks at the same time.

    The final way to get GPR is totems. Ruin is annoying but good survivors will work through it until they happen to run into it. NOED is unknown until it's too late and thus wouldn't qualify for gen pressure either. Most other totems are too weak to force them off gens as well. However, Devour Hope once stacked will force survivors to cleanse it or else they will die to Mori's as well as your increased speed after hooks (I know people like to ignore the speed but even just 10 seconds of haste is very good for snowballing). Thus Devour Hope with 3 tokens is worth a GPR of 4.

    In general, your goal as a Killer should be to reach a GPR of 4. Either by getting a Kill + a hook or though a combination of a lot of injured survivors, your power and a slug or 2. Once you get that you need to maintain it as long as possible.

    This all may sound very obvious, but the shift in mindset from thinking in terms of #ofhooks to win to #ofsurvivors off gens is a big one. You can't brute force Gen Rush. You have to stop them from doing it in the first place. Low tier Killers are low tier because by the time they get those first 1 or 2 hooks there are already gens popping. It's all about getting that first hook and then keeping something going.

    Here's a relevant guide.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Hook people quickly or down people quickly. You need to make the survivors do something other than generators. Rescuing from a hook>picking up off the ground>chase>heal. Remember that survivors don't have to take altruistic actions unless they are picking a teammate up or rescuing them. Injuring and leaving a survivor doesn't force them off of a generator. Pay attention to generator placement. You sacrifice a little pressure early to more later by thinking 3 or 4 gen early and tightening your patrols.

    In order to hook a survivor you need to end the chase fast something most killer can't do.

    I see many survivors to chose not to heal even in rank 12 in order to win more time.

    With every new map we see bigger maps and less gens close one to the another.

    For what i see you need to play very agresive killer and use perks that will make the game last longer, but what if i don't have or don't want to play with X killer or Y perks ?

  • @PistolTimb said:

    Whispers is great for finding people quickly. Probably the best tracking perk in the game.

    But only help you find one survivor and if this survivor is good looper you will lose ether alot of time or you will force to find another survivor

  • Tl:dr win chases and start chases after hooking someone asap, thats how i manage to get survivors from doing something else other than gens but its possible only as hillbilly,spirit,huntress (aka a killer who excels at chase)

  • Use the viable killers spirit , nurse and Billy can end chase's fast as well as Ghostface and to some extent with the right add-ons wraith can run a anti healing build to slow them down maybe plague can run a slow down build with thana but that's all I got

  • @HatCreature said:

    So it all comes down to what Killer you're playing and if you're good at them, all Killers apply pressure in their own way except Clown; unless you count your skill with him as pressure but I don't.

    When I play Freddy my pressure comes from how disadvantaged I make Survivors, I play dirty as Freddy as we all should when we put on that glove. I use Knockout, Thana, Devour, and either Dying Light or STBFL. That build is amazing for slowing down Survivors applying pressure with healing, finding their friends, and a deadly totem, all combined with me smacking them in the face; beautiful pressure.

    If I'm playing Ghostface though I have to apply pressure differently as their strengths and weaknesses are different and require special tactics. I need to use my stealth as much as possible, use cover, keep them all injured, location perks, anti-heal perks, my pressure comes purely from them not knowing where I am. Maybe I'm camping, maybe I'm on the edge of the map, maybe I'm creeping right next to them at that gen, their confusion and paranoia is pressure.

    If I'm playing Clown my pressure comes from me downing them as fast as possible, my power has no real map pressure, I am purely a chase Killer, period. My perks are very important and usually help me with chases too so I can down them faster, Devour Hope is a favorite of mine, it is something I can fall back on if it stays up long enough and gives them something else to do if it scares them enough. I can't chase for to o long though, if they're running me around then I break it off and find a weaker person, if I can weed out the little ones then the big one has no one to do the gens for them as I chase.

    Ohh clown player! What is your typical build on him? :)

  • @Murcielago said:

    Use the viable killers spirit , nurse and Billy can end chase's fast as well as Ghostface and to some extent with the right add-ons wraith can run a anti healing build to slow them down maybe plague can run a slow down build with thana but that's all I got

    What if i don't want to use or don't have the the top killer or the right perks then what i gonna lose the game no matter what ?

  • The best way of applying pressure is downing someone while you have at least 1 person on hook or slugged. You have two options: Infectious Fright if you're going for the slug (but you have to be able to down people fast, which I can't LOL) or Thrilling Tremors which allows you to stop somebody that was doing something useful (repairing a gen). This is why BBQ isn't that useful, you don't wanna chase a useless person running/cleansing dull totems on the other side of the map, you wanna chase the guy on the gen (and barely smart survivors will hide behind gens auras making it harder for you to see them with BBQ). Hope my 2 cents help!

  • @KingOfGhost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/865418#Comment_865418

    What if i don't want to use or don't have the the top killer or the right perks then what i gonna lose the game no matter what ?

    You can still win but when you're going up against a good high rank team three gens could be gone in a little under two minutes so if you don't end a chase fast, hook and find someone else than yeah you're in a bad spot the best you can do is find someone else and eat the two gens lost for one hook

  • @Nemmy_Wemmy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/864544#Comment_864544

    Ohh clown player! What is your typical build on him? :)

    Well the Bloodweb refuses to give me Enduring so I suffer a lot lol

    My current build until is Ruin, Brutal Strength, BBQ &Chili, and Pop Goes The Weasel, sometimes I change Ruin for Devour Hope to sacrifice early game pressure for a late game surprise.

    Another build I sometimes find successful is Surge, Surveillance, BBQ, and whatever I feel like using as the 4th, this combo works well when they Survivors have already screwed themselves with the Gens and you're protecting the hopefully 3 closest ones. Surge saves a lot of time and Surveillance tells you when your goodies are being touched.

    My ideal build is pretty simple, Enduring, Thanatophobia, STBFL, and any totem, DudeDelicious has been getting amazing results with Third Seal so I'll be trying that. Basically this build covers all areas, I'm not afraid of pallets and I make them more deadly, Survivors want to heal to do Gens faster, I can attack them very fast and with my bottles it's especially dangerous, and then totems distract them.

    When I play Clown I really look for builds that either effect Survivors I'm currently not chasing or make my chases even more dangerous, I think that's the way to go with him.