What Does The Trapper Need In Your Opinion?
So i don't like playing as Trapper.
And that's not his fault, i just don't like trap-based Powers.
Which results in me not knowing a lot about the guy.
But what i often hear is that he needs some more buffs/QoL improvements to really get him more up there with other Killers.
So i thought: I'll gather your opinions in this here poll.
I put in the suggestions that i've heard the most, if you haven't heard these before, then that just means you didn't hear what i heard. ๐
Tagged:
Trusted

Comments
I main Trapper, Spirit and Freddy for purple and red ranks (Console, I can't talk about PC). For me he's fine.
He should have 3 traps base imo. He shouldn't have to bring a bag every game.
His own power shouldn't hurt him so much. Definitely shouldn't be situations where he can't go around a trap but survivors can.
Would be nice if all traps were set from the start, too.
Escaping a trap should be skill check based as well. Make it give a DS-style skill check for each attempt and succeeding 3 in a row gets you free. Failing a skill check could give you deep wounds and subsequent failures decrease the timer. Maybe extend the escape time to 2 seconds from 1.5 as well.
Also, the dye add-ons should be changed to make the traps less opaque (so they're harder to see but don't rely on dark ground since we have maps like Lery's or the Game that make these add-ons useless).
I agree with all mostly except set up time, his traps are sort of useless against Survivors who have different loops/just simply know where they are.
Having to go to tother side of a map to get the rest of your traps is just frustrating, and without something to slow down the early game you can really have only 2 or less traps set up before you're chasing survivors or else have 2 gens down by the time you're done most of your setup.
here are the crucial parts that cripple him imo:
It's that they aren't punishing, and luck and RNG. As well as maps, perks and other things. I think if they found a way for stepping in bear traps to be more punishing because most the time as trapper you don't get a chance to catch that survivor unless you're in a chase with them :/. I feel like that the set up time is fair but the fact that so much stuff counters his traps is quite insane. Anyone with a map, toolbox, small game or many other perks can easily destroy him
All he needs is a bit of an early game boost, like starting with another trap or maybe even two or some extra setting speed.
His set up time is atrocious because of terrible trap spawns and the fact that he can only carry one at a time baseline. Hag doesn't have to do that. "But hag still has to hit you twice!" Yes, and it takes about half a second (sweet, sweet rngesus) to get out of the trapper's trap and he can't teleport now can he?
His traps can be deadharded over, completely negating them. He can step in his own trap. That makes him, like Leatherface, one of the only two killers who can be hurt drastically by his own power. If he forgets a trap location he can be heavily punished. Something that never happens to any other killer and they all take far less set up time.
Of course, Trapper is still my most feared killer. A good trapper is a sight to behold but they are still hurt by these things, map design, and rng.
A thought I had a while ago is that he should get a sort of stackable "bloodlust" when people are trapped. If he's in a chase and someone elsewhere gets trapped he gets a speed boost to take down the chased target or to return to the trap. The more people that are trapped, the faster he goes.
I'm not sure if the above idea is too strong, but I do know it would help a lot.
I forgot to vote before typing.
It's fine to vote later, all your comments will update if you do that. ๐๏ธ
His setup time punishes him and I'd think that the hitbox of a trap is too small, punishing Trappers if they cannot place their traps pixel perfect.. by allowing survivors to simply run past time.
While I still believe that Trapper should have a setup time because the traps themselves ARE a huge threat, I'd like to see Trapper receive QoL buffs where he can (for example) reset traps without having to pick them up first. Every second counts.
RNG is my biggest gripe. Sometimes survivors free themselves in an instant, sometimes you can ignore them for minutes and still find them trying to get away. I'd like it if they were more consistent, maybe the survivor should need to fill a progress bar with skillchecks which can be made harder with addons.
Some other not listed changes I'd like would be to allow to re-set already placed traps without having to pick them up first (that would make him less reliant on bag addons) and to make them spawn closer to the center of the map (sometimes they spawn in a remote corner and you'd waste so much time going to pick them up that it's better to ignore them).
He has a very slow start and no way to end chases quickly aside from planning ahead. Thats very bad since the beginning is something a killer needs to get control of as quick as possible and if you take time to set a trap while chasing they will just move on (though some can say thats the idea of trapper, to set traps ahead of time to end loops)
One thing ive been mulling over is how strong would it be if the traps that spawn in the beginning of the match are all ready set? I wonder if that would be too much.
Before I start up, I will acknowledge that a good Trapper can do a lot of damage even to a good team if they're very smart with their trap placements, however I believe that Trapper is outdated as far as powers go.
As an example of the point I made above, Hag is considered to be objectively better yet not only does she have a higher amount of traps but she can also spawn with all of them and recycle them on the go to constantly change her setup to fit what's needed in the trial allowing her to do what Trapper does, but better while also benefiting out of insane mobility at the same time.
In addition to this, the combination of luck and one specific perk (dead hard) can often negate any well placed trap simply because the survivor either got lucky or pressed a key, forcing Trapper to pick up his trap to rearm it or to not get rewarded much at all if the survivor gets lucky and immediately breaks free.
The last issue is that the perk "Object of Obsession" completely slaughters him, if the survivor has any decent amount of experience with the game and has this perk, they can just follow the Trapper around and disarm his traps completely or just entirely ignore that area knowing exactly where his traps are placed, unfortunately no change you make to Trapper will fix this issue.
With that being said, I don't believe Trapper is in need of very many changes as some of these issues (IMO) seem relatively easy to fix. Here's what I would change about Trapper ;
With these changes in mind, it might require some quick changes to specific addons such as the bags or any addons that decreases the chances of escaping the traps, however I believe those would also be pretty easy changes to make.
I'm winning on red ranks with Wraith and Trapper regularly that doesn't change the fact that they need buffs.
Just give him all traps at the start and let him carry two at base. Easily becomes B tier at least.
I feel he is still viable.. Its all about trap placement.. Windows loops pallets high traffic areas.. I placed traps in most visible areas some one gets caught and was like wait what???.... He does need a new mori.....
What if if you had a set trap under a pallet and something threw it down it would be destroyed and the trap would disarm
I've probably got 400 hours on trapper and I play him in red ranks all the time, he is not the strongest but viable you just need to know how to play him, a buff I would give him is to always have the brown or yellow trapper bag to be able to hold multiple traps, that should be default.
Trapper becomes somewhat solid if he has multiple traps at his disposal at the beginning of each trial. You can make a plan and place a good number of traps in the early game. However, with base Trapper having only one and having to go get the rest, well... it becomes a secondary objective that takes time, and by the time you placed a few good traps, you'll have probably already bumped into a survivor so you'll be in a chase, or 3 gens get popped in the meantime. Whatever the cause, it's time you lose as a Killer, but at the same time, it's time that you HAVE to lose, otherwise you're a M1 Killer.
So I think the main problem with Trapper is that his base form is not good enough and you desperately need some add-ons to make him effective. Other base killers can do just fine with their power, and poor Trappy boi gets left behind. Take a look at Hag: She starts with 10 phantasm traps ready to set. Just make the base Trapper start with more traps so he doesn't have to go hunting for the remaining ones while praying the Exit Gates don't get powered in the meantime.
The rest (setting time, hitboxes, base damage) seems fine to me... tho I'd like something like multiple skill-checks to replace the RNG luck when Survivors tries to free themselves.
Don't get me wrong, without addons he can still get 4 downs in less than a minute, but you have to be really damn lucky. His main problem is only carrying 1 trap. Having to go collect your power reeaaaaalllly sucks, Bags mitigate this issue(mostly(looking at you Hawkins & Game)) by allowing you to keep chasing/pressuring an area of the map, making him much more viable.
He needs much more than QoL changes. He needs a lot.