Repair Accleration

So this is a suggestion to help with gen times that wouldn't just increase the amount of time holding m1.

Basically how it works is that repair starts slower but speeds up over time as your stay on the generator. Shortly after letting go over the generator your repair starts to rapidly decelerate back to the base speed, but not instantly so if you get back on a gen within a few seconds you won't lose all of the repair speed. The idea is that if the killer is keeping good pressure by keeping survivors off the gens the gens will go slower and it will also make hiding from BBQ more of a hard choice. Do I lose all my accleration to stay hidden or do I commit the generator and get it done but risk being found?

If this change got implemented ruin would need a slight adjustment where the amount of regression is increased, however it would no longer pause the repair timer. Overall the perk would be a tiny bit weaker since a survivor who powers through it will slowly start to repair faster over time.

The time to do a generator from start to finish if you keep on the generator the whole time would be about the same if you do the whole gen without interruption.

This mechanic could also be used to change toolboxes, and rework their addons. Instead of toolboxes just having charges, repair speed, sabotage speed. They could have minimum repair speed, maximum repair speed, repair accleration, charges, and sabotage speed.

The acceleration could even be applied in other mechanics like healing or sabotage. Although that stretches beyond the reach of this post. Baby steps.


Edit: Because there's a bit of confusion on what this does. I'm going to paste my example from a comment in thread.

Think of it this way. sitting on 1 generator the whole time: Takes 80 seconds (same as current)

Sit on the generator for 40 seconds, get interrupted, then get back on it again, gen will take more than 40 seconds to complete because your speed goes back down to the minimum repair speed and has to slowly work its way back up to the maximum repair speed. I haven't mentioned any values because I don't know what they should be. I don't know what the minimum or maximum should be. I don't know the rate it should accelerate at.

Comments

  • I already have gens popping like popcorn! Not sure this is a good idea!

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    I already have gens popping like popcorn! Not sure this is a good idea!

    Gen speed from start to finish if you hold the gen the entire time would be about the same. Might be slightly more or less. Like +- 5 seconds

  • I still feel that they could abuse this. Maybe give it a tickle more thought?

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    I still feel that they could abuse this. Maybe give it a tickle more thought?

    What do you mean? This is a nerf to generator completion? The only way this is better is against slowdown builds, but slowdown perks would probably need a look at after this to make sure theyre working as intended anyways.

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    How is it a nerf?

    because generators only take the same amount of time if you sit on the generator the whole time from start to finish. If the killer interupts you, you lose all the accerlation you had.

    Think of it this way. sitting on 1 generator the whole time: Takes 80 seconds (same as current)

    Sit on the generator for 40 seconds, get interrupted, then get back on it again, gen will take more than 40 seconds to complete because your speed goes back down to the minimum repair speed and has to slowly work its way back up to the maximum repair speed. I haven't mentioned any values because I don't know what they should be. I don't know what the minimum or maximum should be. I don't know the rate it should accelerate at.

    Edit: But to be 100% clear. The minimum will be much lower than current base speed and maximum will probably be a little bit higher than current speed. Toolboxes can then be reworked to affect these values.

  • ... OH! Well that makes ALOT more sense now that you put it that way!

  • I made a similar post about this idea. Glad it is being shared with more people.

    This is good for both sides. Survivors get a speed boost for committing to a generator and killers get more time for defending generators. 

    It could in turn stop camping by giving more power to defending generators over defending hooks. A survivor would have to give up their accelerated repair speed to make the save, while the killer chases the other survivors off generators before their repair speed becomes too fast. 

    An accelerated repair speed would also make the dull task of repairing a generator feel better for survivors. Instead of looking at the same stagnant repair bar, you are constantly improving and are rewarded every second you maintain your current task. 

    There are many perks, items, and variables that would need to be adjusted for this change, but I would leave that to the devs if they ever picked up on this idea.

  • Make generators take longer overall , I'm sure the survivors will love it and make gens less dull;) , (taking longer to do gens isn't going to make survivor more fun )

  • @nickofford said:

    Make generators take longer overall , I'm sure the survivors will love it and make gens less dull;) , (taking longer to do gens isn't going to make survivor more fun )

    It only takes longer if you get interrupted in which case it won't even feel like it's that much longer because lots of interruptions means lots of chases and interactivity with the killer which is the fun part of the game.

    If the killer is bad at pressuring the gens then you wouldn't be doing gens for any longer than it already is anyway.

  • @SkeletalElite said:

    So this is a suggestion to help with gen times that wouldn't just increase the amount of time holding m1.

    Basically how it works is that repair starts slower but speeds up over time as your stay on the generator. Shortly after letting go over the generator your repair starts to rapidly decelerate back to the base speed, but not instantly so if you get back on a gen within a few seconds you won't lose all of the repair speed. The idea is that if the killer is keeping good pressure by keeping survivors off the gens the gens will go slower and it will also make hiding from BBQ more of a hard choice. Do I lose all my accleration to stay hidden or do I commit the generator and get it done but risk being found?

    If this change got implemented ruin would need a slight adjustment where the amount of regression is increased, however it would no longer pause the repair timer. Overall the perk would be a tiny bit weaker since a survivor who powers through it will slowly start to repair faster over time.

    The time to do a generator from start to finish if you keep on the generator the whole time would be about the same if you do the whole gen without interruption.

    This mechanic could also be used to change toolboxes, and rework their addons. Instead of toolboxes just having charges, repair speed, sabotage speed. They could have minimum repair speed, maximum repair speed, repair accleration, charges, and sabotage speed.

    The acceleration could even be applied in other mechanics like healing or sabotage. Although that stretches beyond the reach of this post. Baby steps.

    Edit: Because there's a bit of confusion on what this does. I'm going to paste my example from a comment in thread.

    Think of it this way. sitting on 1 generator the whole time: Takes 80 seconds (same as current)

    Sit on the generator for 40 seconds, get interrupted, then get back on it again, gen will take more than 40 seconds to complete because your speed goes back down to the minimum repair speed and has to slowly work its way back up to the maximum repair speed. I haven't mentioned any values because I don't know what they should be. I don't know what the minimum or maximum should be. I don't know the rate it should accelerate at.

    I almost made a post about this until I realized killers lacking map pressure would literally rot. Also if the acceleration time doesnt decrease instantly then survivors can still finish a gen right after the killer took attention off of it and downed someone. Thats toxic and annoying. If the acceleration makes it less than 80 to sit on and finish then its OP for survive with friends, If it is 80 seconds even with acceleration then survivors would hate it. I really liked this when I first thought about it but then I didnt and I am about to self advertise because I think its for the betterment of the game if devs see it maybe?

    @WickedMilk03 said:

    This is a Repost from a while back. I have recently gotten really annoyed that nothing is being done about gen speeds so I have a solution. This change makes the game more fun and balanced for both sides or atleast I believe it would.

    Gen Changes

    Generators now only require 60 charges to complete. For the first 5 seconds of work on a gen, repair speed is 25% slower. This is to deter survivors from finishing a gen right in front of your face after you scare them off of it. Stops toxicity and gen tapping. 60 second gens because they are annoying and lack any interesting gameplay. Like seriously... Hold a button woo hoo. Killers still get a notification when generator repair is complete.

    Completion Phase

    The completion phase lasts for 3 minutes (180 seconds) after a gen is completed. During this time, generators would need to be filled with gas. A generator can not be regressed by the killer during the completion phase. If the generator is not filled with gas during the completion phase then the generator will reset to 0 charges meaning it would need to be repaired the full 60 seconds again. Perks like tinkerer would remain the same and activate as generator repair is completed. Killers get a notification when a gen is fully completed.

    Gas canisters

    Gas canisters are located in 3 White Crates towards the center of the map. White Crates spawn with 16-28 meters between them. The distance between them is dependent on the size of the map. This would ensure that killers are not the only ones suffering from huge maps. Carrying a gas canister does not replace an item, however you cannot use any items whilst holding a gas canister. You cannot sprint or drop a pallet when carrying a gas canister which means you have to walk when carrying gas. If you drop a gas canister, to gain the ability to run, it's aura can be seen by all survivors and the killer. A gas canister can be crushed by the killer and it would be sent back to a White Crate. There is an infinite amount of gas canisters in each crate. Filling a gen with gas takes 5 seconds. This slows the game and forces stealth as well as keeps survivors on edge by making them move around the map in places where the killer may be.

    All reasons for these changes

    1. Survivors are forced to play stealthy after a gen is complete. This is good because stealth is not a very common thing people go for since it isn't very rewarding (but would be now ha)
    2. Survivors are forced to be on the go during the match. This makes it less boring and gives a higher chance of interesting outcomes in the match.
    3. Survivors will NOT run towards the killer for a good chase anymore because they are bored. Survivors will be actively trying to win.
    4. Killers have a more fair advantage versus swf and can win a match based on their individual ability to put pressure on the survivors.
    5. Overall more interesting gameplay
    6. Generator times are decreased (again: less boring) Dead by Daylight remains the classic "repair gens and get the fug out game with all the cool movie killers" that the commons look to it as.
    7. Map pressure-less killers actually stand a chance.
    8. The game is imbalanced and needs this please devs... please

    I am done guys tell me what you think

    Tell me your thoughts. If you disagree with this, actually tell me why please. I try not to be bias and I do play both sides. I have 2300 hours. GG

    That slows the game and keeps it fun. felt like it got no attention (should have made a click bait title lol)

  • Also for explanation of this concept:

    y=b^x

    There you go for people who arent understanding

  • @WickedMilk03 said:

    Also for explanation of this concept:

    y=b^x

    There you go for people who arent understanding

    It doesn't necessarily have to be expoential. Exponential would probably be too crazy

  • @SkeletalElite said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/760783#Comment_760783

    It doesn't necessarily have to be expoential. Exponential would probably be too crazy

    well yeah. Just to explain to people the concept if they aren't understanding