The forums, reddit, amino, discord, and pre/post game chat is nothing but complaining and amateurity
I'm not saying it's unjustifiable but...yeah
First of all, maybe kind of random, but people don't really know what the word "entitled" means. Most people use it to describe winy people that are irrational, but that's not it...at all. It means (or at the very least you think that) you deserve compensation/deserve special treatment. While yes, it is mostly used to describe winy people, it is not inherently bad.
Secondly, the word "toxic" is used so frequently that it loses all meaning, it doesn't help that the word "toxic" is being used so broadly, that people don't even know what is considered "toxic" anymore.
Thirdly, most of the time, the communication outlets turns into a full blown war-zone, with two opposing sides absolutely despising each other, sometimes over menial things.
Forth, and most of all, this game is not healthy for anyone, due to lack of general game moderation and, to be kind of blunt, how amateur some of the people behind the game is. To allow a community full of bullies and other people that play the game to spread misery everywhere they go.
Yes, every game and community has its "toxic" side, and it's even debatable that there are much more toxic games and gaming communities than this one. But I've never seen a game go to this plentiful level of "toxicity", worked by people that do not understand how their game even works (at least playerbase wise), by either being shockingly lenient (Having multiple people that have a history of making players mad and miserable, with no way of knowing how awful their being) or shockingly strict (you can be banned, both in-game and on the forums, for calling someone stupid or a moron, a very petty thing that is treated like calling someone the n-word).
I'm not sure if you agree with me or not, i'm not here to stop people from playing this game, and I am in no way saying that I know everything and every solution, but maybe I have opened some eyes about this.
(or maybe people will just condemn me, calling me entitled, and analyzing every single word I said to find every point of Hypocrisy, idk.)
(TLDR version for people that don't like reading or can't read that much words) Most communication outlets are just complaining with nothing to get out of, saying words that they don't even know, with mods having an extremely varied sense on what should be punished or not.
Comments
Honestly, you right. No talk can go long without it going to "Killer Vs. Survivor." These places are meant to give good and usable feedback, not the stupid asinine crap that they do get.
I guess DBD community is pretty toxic if you consider it like that. But look on the bright side, there are always people who are nice or positive!
I kinda agree on the moderation double-standard. I got warned and my comment edited for telling someone they were being a... male appendange... (and I wasn't the only one who thought so) but the person who was acting like said appendage experienced no consequences that I saw. The rules aren't extremely clear, so the mods tend to just use their own judgement, which varies greatly, because what one person might consider a fairly mild thing to say others might think completely unacceptable.
Also, people in general just don't know what words mean but like to pretend they do. It's a worldwide epidemic. "Toxic", "entitled", "bigot", "discrimination", you name it, as soon as it becomes a buzzword used to describe a particular thing or group of people, people start throwing it around in any context where said thing or group is mentioned, not caring much for the word's actual meaning.
There are still good people.
I try and be one of them, but people hurt my brain.
I've noticed it, but more in that the large amounts of benign and genuinely insightful/helpful posts get completely ignored whereas the hateful and extremely negative ones get bumped for upwards of a week because people only seem to log on to argue with each other.
As for the post game chat, I genuinely wish they'd never added it. It's led to far more "salt farming" than actual constructive discussions. I've seen it used for good of course (tutoring new players that get screwed by matchmaking, complimenting people, making suggestions to improve success rates for other players, etc) but it's mostly just people throwing tantrums
You are so right.
Well at the very least people are passionate about this game. Unfortunately a lot of people seek nerfs to improve their own game experience, which is completely subjective and dependant on the individual.
For the most part the game is balanced, lots of killers need buffs to be useful at the high ranks; but there’s lots of calls to nerf the only 3 viable ones.
Nobody can seem to agree on what needs to be done about this so it’s a heated topic. Whole thing needs a lot more critical thinking and calmer approaches.
Yea, I agree.
Good boy Dagoth :3
I don't even slug 90% of the time.... cause Trilling Tremors is amazing.
There’s a lot of entitlement in this community, which is a product of bias and who you play. Not all people feel the same way, but I feel like the community’s definition of constructive feedback is blurred, at best. Feedback is good, but they need to know how it happened, so saying “Fix your game” can only go so far when there’s probably thousands of lines of code to go through. If they knew how it happened, that would help them narrow the results done themselves.
Despite all of that, I have met a lot of good people through this game. Discord is a super recommend on my part— there’s stuff there for everyone. If you do join or have and still didn’t like it, that’s totally fine. Despite how cold the entity’s realm is, the campfire can provide you enough warmth.