Hey Devs, can we get Slenderman as a NEW KILLER?

I was talking it over with my buddies, and although Slenderman hasn't exactly been the scariest or best rendered game of the ages, it's one that nearly everyone over the age of 8 knows. I think DBD can make a Slenderman killer as scary as he deserves. Here are some thoughts on what I think the killer could include and why I put them here. (Reminder that all numbers are only guesswork.)


Slenderman

  • Passively has an annoyingly staticy terror radius that plays the high pitch noise like in the games


Possible Abilities (One or a Combination of These)

  • Compress Terror Radius for a small duration

This would be for the jump scare like in the games. It wouldn't be THAT worthy of an ability, so probably pair it with something?

  • Can attach up to 4 pages on generators to cause those generators to be repaired slower and emit a small terror radius. Pages last X seconds/until taken off.

I chose this mostly for the originality of the game and as an original perk idea. The terror radius would mostly be to throw off survivors that are working on the gen with a page attached. This would also work well with something like Unnerving Presence.

  • Can see auras of survivors that are more than 64 meters from another survivor, but farther than 24 meters from killer. (Can make this an active with a cooldown or keep it a passive)

Slenderman is know for killing people that are alone or lost, so I like the idea of making people who are solo players be punished.


Possible Perks

  • Stopping an generator/sabotage while within a 8/16/24 meter radius of killer causes it to automatically explode.

Based off past experiences, I knew if Slenderman was there you got the !@#$ out of there. This will mostly be a perk that punishes people from being too daring when running away. Not exactly god-tier, but I think it's a pretty neat idea.

  • Scratch marks also create bright footprints but disappear 2/1/0 seconds sooner.

Slenderman never loses you; he lets you get away. It would just make tracking so much easier but still not exactly an overpowered perk. These footprints would have a direction, so you'd even know which way you need to look.

  • Negative survivor effects (hindered/exhausted/broken/etc) last 10/20/30% longer and positive effects (sprint/borrowed time/we'll make it/etc) are 10/20/30% shorter. (Can even be a Hex)

Depending on the game, you could only sprint for so long until you had to hide. I like the idea of making these bonuses much less useful, but it might be a little too good if this isn't a Hex perk.

  • Downed survivors are unable to recover on their own.

Another slugging perk XD. But let's face it: smart killers are usually picking up downed survivors right away. It's more of just an idea to prevent people from healing a downed survivor after getting ahead in a chase.

  • Items have a chance to malfunction and no longer work for 3/4/5 seconds while being used. (Similar odds/chances as skill checks.)

Anyone who's played Slenderman has the feel for the flashlight battery or crappy controls. This will make you have the feel that you cannot totally depend on your items.

Comments

  • ...I hate how much I like this...

    Except for the no self heal while slugged and instaexplosion when leaving the gen. Those seem way too good

  • Who owns slenderman? I mean if they just outright do you'll find legal trouble somewhere

    Also wouldn't a flashlight be mandatory for him? Since every game with him in it has one on hand?

  • @terumisan said:

    Who owns slenderman? I mean if they just outright do you'll find legal trouble somewhere

    Also wouldn't a flashlight be mandatory for him? Since every game with him in it has one on hand?

    He's an urban legend. nobody owns him. Kind of like how no one has the rights to vampires, or werewolves.

  • @Chickenchaser said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/675416#Comment_675416

    He's an urban legend. nobody owns him. Kind of like how no one has the rights to vampires, or werewolves.

    I mean if you start taking a power set from a identifiable vampire you could theoretically run into trouble due to plagiarizing and also you never know someone might actually owns the rights to slenderman

  • Always thought slenderman would be interesting type of killer to add or even five nights at freddy's dlc (know many people are against that one).

    Especially since no one owns him, the devs could do whatever they want with him

  • @terumisan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/675424#Comment_675424

    I mean if you start taking a power set from a identifiable vampire you could theoretically run into trouble due to plagiarizing and also you never know someone might actually owns the rights to slenderman

    Slightly change the name, and mythology, and you've avoided all possible copyright claims. I just looked, and slenderman is trademarked, and owned. The owner is hard to find on google. Probably because slenderman was created by the public, and not one person. Ownership must be a cluster F.

  • Sorry but the Slenderman meme is over. It's time to pack it up.

  • @FluorescentLemon said:

    Sorry but the Slenderman meme is over. It's time to pack it up.

    exactly, it'd be like having anything from FNAF in the game.

    No please

  • I would like you to imagine Meg looking up from a gen, and seeing Slenderman.

    Meg then sprint bursts off from a gen, jumping through a nearby window. Slenderman follows behind, slowly stepping through the windowsill one leg after the other with a grunt. Meg makes it to a car or something with a pallet leaning up against it, leading to Meg and Slenderman staring at each other as they circle the car at opposite ends three or four times. At this point Slenderman is right behind Meg, so he lunges to slap her back with one of his hands... and has the pallet dropped on him, making him shake and go "BLEEERG!"

    Slenderman then stops to break the pallet, kicking it twice with his foot, but is blinded by Meg's flashlight aimed at his face as he does so and spends the next few seconds running face first into a rock as Meg crouchwalks behind the car again.

  • I came up with a concept too... a bit more complex, but I could see both versions (yours and mine) working.

    @trevorj91 If you're interested in seeing my concept, just let me know.

  • @Raven014 said:

    I came up with a concept too... a bit more complex, but I could see both versions (yours and mine) working.

    @trevorj91 If you're interested in seeing my concept, just let me know.

    @Raven014 I'd love to hear more ideas. People compare this to FNAF but that game has just never been scary or even fun to me, so I don't seem to understand their opinions.


  • @Raven014 said:

    I came up with a concept too... a bit more complex, but I could see both versions (yours and mine) working.

    @trevorj91 If you're interested in seeing my concept, just let me know.

    I am also interested.

    I would love Slendy to come into the game, he's aesthetic and creepy. I don't know if any of these abilities in particular would really suit him but you have the right idea, you know what you're looking for and what he needs to do in the game. He's not a chasing Killer, Slenderman is a stealthy stalker like Michael but drives you insane before murdering you, he makes people completely helpless and terrified before their final moments and that's beautiful.

    I think the one thing I really like the most in this your ability to see Survivors who are all alone, as a Survivor I would love to go against that. I myself prefer to be alone in games and life, I enjoy the isolation and don't need anyone around me so I have no idea what it feels like to be alone and scared. This would make being myself a detriment to my survival and that's hilarious I love it :) I would really enjoy that in this game for once.

  • @HatCreature and @trevorj91, I present to you a full chapter concept: The Arrival

    @Raven014 said:

    Chapter: The Arrival:

    Now, unlike some people, I do think a certain character can make their debut in DBD without issues.

    The Killer: The Slenderman:

    Lore: Long rumored to be a folk tale under many names: The Tall man, the child taker, the spirit of the forest... the Slenderman... his name has echoed through history. Now he stalks the realm of the entity, and those he preys on have no hope of escape.

    Default Movement speed: 140%

    Killer Kit:

    Passive: Static Image

    This passive allows Slender to put up pages around the map (On gens and totems). This effects the game in a few ways. One, it gives bloodpoints to both the killer and survivors. Two, Survivors will pull the page off before starting the action (less effective on gens but effective for totems). Three, you gain a notification when a page is taken.

    Four, pages cause hallucinations that Slender can teleport to, as well as linger. At 0 pages, he is completely invisible. At 1, he can only have hallucinations at a fair distance, and they get closer at a slow rate. For each page, the spawning distance decreases substantially. At 5, he can strike normally, but he will have a distortion effect even harder to read than the Spirit's. At 6, he will start to move like the Spirit, with distortions between them. At 8 he will look normal, with Hallucinations still appearing. This is when he's at his strongest and you will be exposed at this point.

    Pages also cause a debuff to all survivor actions for each survivor. A 90% debuff with no pages collected, and +10% increase to action speed for each page, with the downside that they are making the killer more powerful.

    However, survivors cannot escape without getting all pages. Not even through the Hatch. Each survivor must collect all 8 themselves. They only secure their own escape.

    Secondary Passive: Anti-corn blindness:

    Since he's the tallest killer, he will never be affected by corn maps in the same way most killers are. More of a joke passive, tbh.

    Active abilities: 

    Proxy Trap:

    By pressing active ability button, you can manifest one of your past proxies to attack any survivor who approaches the locker they are near. The will jump out, perform an animation (Kate would do her scratching, Toby would attack with hatchets... etc...) and the survivor would receive one state of damage (healthy to injured, and injured to dying). Borrowed time will activate because of this. DS can be activated if the trap would put into the dying state to negate that attack.

    If a survivor Runs into a locker, there will be a sound of a proxy attacking the survivor, before the survivor is ejected out.

    Scattering Pages: 

    The killer can choose where to place pages. This would place a page on a highlighted area (can be a wall, object, or locker).

    Hallucination or Reality?: 

    He can teleport with the secondary button press. If he teleports, he has a small window to strike a survivor (Standard melee attack like a hag trap).

    Perks:

    Survivor's Obsession:

    Survivors who have seen you have your image burned to their head. Hallucinations will appear to move toward them for 10 seconds before disappearing after they see you for the first time. They will scream in response.

    Horror's Past:

    Those who linger too long will experience a horrifying moment of the location's past. Survivor's who stand still/stay in one place/are afk will see a scene of a killer mori'ing a survivor (the killer of the match). This is a hallucination, but they cannot move for the duration. They will scream in terror when it ends.

    Haunting Shadows:

    The light may be your ally now, but it is always night in the trials. Pits of shadow spawn sporadically, restricting movement through the map. If left unattended, Survivors will have entire swaths of the map impossible to traverse. These can be burned away by a flashlight or by the light of finished generators. 

    Mori:

    He uses two of his tendrils to pick up the struggling survivor by the arms, and then uses more to stab from multiple directions up through the lower torso. The struggling ceases after a moment, in which the survivor dies, and he drops them to the ground. 

    Survivor: Lauren:

    Lore: Lauren is one of a few to have lost family to the Slenderman and survive... until she went missing during a wildfire in the woods a decade later. Armed with the truth of the horror she saw, she brings a new item, the camera, to document and understand the killers of the fog better in order to escape better.

    Perks:

    Understanding:

    Understanding the killer is one of the best ways to counter them. After watching the killer for 120/100/80 seconds, their method of killing will become known to you.

    If this involves traps, you will be able to notice them better.

    If this has a charge, you can see the bar for it flash on screen when they use it near you.

    Record:

    Recording the killer can help you show others their weaknesses. Allows you to have a camera. After using half of a camera's charges, you can use the camera to reveal the aura of traps in the vicinity.

    Pain of Loss:

    You know what it's like to lose those you consider dear to you. For every survivor death near you (20m or less), gain a token. For every token, you can shrug off one lethal hit (one that would put you in the dying state).

    What does everyone think?

    He would come with Gen Pressure, Increasing Lethality over time, and a secondary objective they must complete (or tertiary if they ever make a true Secondary Objective).

    I think he could fit in really well, besides, his lore could even be that he is the physical manifestation of the Entity... if one really wanted to.

  • @Raven014 I like that you put more thought into the pages than I have, but it still seems a little OP that Slenderman is placing the pages on his own will if Survivors are required to collect them. That also seems like another totem chase, and those are difficult enough to find. Also, with those abilities/perks, you're making Slenderman waaaayy too cheat with that base speed (and height XD). I do like the idea of the survivor though, that was pretty great. I don't entirely understand what you mean by having a camera item, but the ideas are awesomely implemented.


    Here's what I think would need to change with that:

    Maybe allow Slendy to teleport to his "illusions" or proxies for a short duration, almost like that Hag, but he could only become it for the short duration before being forced to teleport back (length upgraded by add-ons maybe). This would replace the proxies being able to attack.

    Horror's Past would likely need to be in a general area rather than holding still, otherwise it's too garbage. Maybe a sped up mori vision too in order to make a little less suffering for the survivors. Idk if you should allow it to activate while working on gens, probably not.

    Survivor's Obsession seems a little weak since it's only a first time thing, maybe make it a cooldown that is paused while looking directly at the killer. And that vision duration seems a little insane, maybe 3-5 seconds?

    Maybe I'm not sure how Understanding works, but it seems a little worthless if it's just to see traps. Maybe like aura's every time he hits a player and/or uses their ability.

    Record seems like it could be good if instead of adding camera charges, you made so looking at a killer item (gens, totems, traps, etc) revealed them permanently to survivors within 5/8/11 meters?


    Other than those recommendations, I'd say that's a pretty good interpretation of how Slenderman could be put into the game. Kudos all around.

  • @trevorj91 said:

    @Raven014 I like that you put more thought into the pages than I have, but it still seems a little OP that Slenderman is placing the pages on his own will if Survivors are required to collect them. That also seems like another totem chase, and those are difficult enough to find. Also, with those abilities/perks, you're making Slenderman waaaayy too cheat with that base speed (and height XD). I do like the idea of the survivor though, that was pretty great. I don't entirely understand what you mean by having a camera item, but the ideas are awesomely implemented.

    Here's what I think would need to change with that:

    Maybe allow Slendy to teleport to his "illusions" or proxies for a short duration, almost like that Hag, but he could only become it for the short duration before being forced to teleport back (length upgraded by add-ons maybe). This would replace the proxies being able to attack.

    Horror's Past would likely need to be in a general area rather than holding still, otherwise it's too garbage. Maybe a sped up mori vision too in order to make a little less suffering for the survivors. Idk if you should allow it to activate while working on gens, probably not.

    Survivor's Obsession seems a little weak since it's only a first time thing, maybe make it a cooldown that is paused while looking directly at the killer. And that vision duration seems a little insane, maybe 3-5 seconds?

    Maybe I'm not sure how Understanding works, but it seems a little worthless if it's just to see traps. Maybe like aura's every time he hits a player and/or uses their ability.

    Record seems like it could be good if instead of adding camera charges, you made so looking at a killer item (gens, totems, traps, etc) revealed them permanently to survivors within 5/8/11 meters?

    Other than those recommendations, I'd say that's a pretty good interpretation of how Slenderman could be put into the game. Kudos all around.

    Well, it forces the survivor to find the pages. At least it isn't RNG based.

    Well, but it's a tradeoff. Either you make him weaker (with less attack abilities and lung range) but with a huge gen penalty, or have him be strong with no gen penalty.

    Yeah, that height is a bit cheat, isn't it? XD

    I would make his speed change based on page numbers, but that'd be unbalancable.


    I did update the descriptions for the perks and camera item for convenience.

    He can already teleport to hallucinations (it's base kit).

    Horror's past is designed to punish afk and gen rushers, so I see nothing wrong with it.

    Survivor's obsession is a tracking perk similar to thrilling tremors. It has a cooldown for each survivor.

    Understanding allows one to find traps more easily or see the charge bar for a killer's ability. It doesn't really work on most killers, but it can be very good against Spirit, Trapper, Hag, Billy, Leatherface, and against Micheal's T3, but only if you watch the killer for 120/100/80 seconds. It can be very powerful, but only in certain situation. It's effected by certain addons, so it's not completely reliable (similar to the new spine chill, which is unaffected by oblivious, as in it will not light up).

    Record is only for the individual survivor. It's less for teamwork, but it definitely can be used like that in SWF... it's like the rest of Lauren's perks, she survived alone against all odds, so her playstyle is meant to be a loner one. Maybe this perk shouldn't have charges, but at the cost of not being able to bring an item, since the camera is an item.

  • I actually posted my own slender man idea however the devs deleted it. :(

  • Somebody had a better post saying there are 8 pages and when a survivor cleanses one the killer speed is increase a bit. They cant escape until all the pages are collected and He can teleport to pages. It doesnt take that long to cleanse, about a second. He said certain add ons can increase or decrease the amount of pages. The speed increase is 0.63% I think

  • I agree Slenderman should be a killer this game how his kill name be should be The disciple. As slenderman is also a being of the fog and night. Slenderman learn to toy with his prey via trial from the entity.

  • @terumisan said:

    Who owns slenderman? I mean if they just outright do you'll find legal trouble somewhere

    Also wouldn't a flashlight be mandatory for him? Since every game with him in it has one on hand?

    Currently, there are two types of slender men, movie and video game. he does not have a specific creator being a legend, but if there was a licensing problem, the director of the movie would definitely be in possession of the license, or maybe unity but that’s small.

  • @BakedBeans said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/675416#Comment_675416

    Currently, there are two types of slender men, movie and video game. he does not have a specific creator being a legend, but if there was a licensing problem, the director of the movie would definitely be in possession of the license, or maybe unity but that’s small.

    Someone does own the rights to him for the games and I assume the movie and maybe depending on how badly they want money could get into a heap of trouble

  • @terumisan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/698795#Comment_698795

    Someone does own the rights to him for the games and I assume the movie and maybe depending on how badly they want money could get into a heap of trouble

    Well then, unity is the company that’s develops the games, so they hold the license, like how Warner Bros holds the license for Freddy Kruger

  • Can see auras of survivors that are more than 64 meters from another survivor, but farther than 24 meters from killer. (Can make this an active with a cooldown or keep it a passive)

    I like this. Would help stop the gen rush meta if they split up to do gens.

  • @terumisan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/698795#Comment_698795

    Someone does own the rights to him for the games and I assume the movie and maybe depending on how badly they want money could get into a heap of trouble

    However, I feel like not even unity holds the license because keep in mind the original slender man game was a fan made game for the urban legend, which is not copyrighted because myths are more often than not of Public Domain. But, if I am wrong and there is a license holder or maybe there was one that recently titled himself to the Creator, either the director or unity would own it

  • @BakedBeans said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/698832#Comment_698832

    However, I feel like not even unity holds the license because keep in mind the original slender man game was a fan made game for the urban legend, which is not copyrighted because myths are more often than not of Public Domain. But, if I am wrong and there is a license holder or maybe there was one that recently titled himself to the Creator, either the director or unity would own it

    The person who owns slenderman is Eric Knudsen

  • Where do you see that? I looked him up, he’s an actor from the movie

  • @BakedBeans said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/698927#Comment_698927

    Where do you see that? I looked him up, he’s an actor from the movie

    He claimed to have made the original post under the alias Victor surge and he just owns the rights to slenderman

  • @terumisan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/698928#Comment_698928

    He claimed to have made the original post under the alias Victor surge and he just owns the rights to slenderman

    Listen man, I hate to break it to you, but that’s not correct, as a myth, the Slenderman is currently not copyrighted. He is publicly stated as an internet icon. Sony, however does come close to a license, but they can not sue anyone for using the character because of them not being the primary source. Sony has the rights to The Slender Man but not a license. There’s a difference.

  • @BakedBeans said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/698934#Comment_698934

    Listen man, I hate to break it to you, but that’s not correct, as a myth, the Slenderman is currently not copyrighted. He is publicly stated as an internet icon. Sony, however does come close to a license, but they can not sue anyone for using the character because of them not being the primary source. Sony has the rights to The Slender Man but not a license. There’s a difference.

    Still not public domain it's owned by mythology entertainment it was purchased in May of 2016 but they recently dissolved you still would probably get sued since they still hold the license

  • @terumisan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/698949#Comment_698949

    Still not public domain it's owned by mythology entertainment it was purchased in May of 2016 but they recently dissolved you still would probably get sued since they still hold the license

    Let’s settle the argument, Matthew cote isn’t dumb, if he was to get the Slenderman, copyrighted or not, he would make sure the license was in his possession to keep his company safe

  • @BakedBeans said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/698967#Comment_698967

    Let’s settle the argument, Matthew cote isn’t dumb, if he was to get the Slenderman, copyrighted or not, he would make sure the license was in his possession to keep his company safe

    Yes I can agree with that statement