Skill Check Update & Hex Totems

Thinking out loud here, but personally I find repairing gens pretty dull and boring as skill checks are so easy. You're literally just holding a single button down and waiting.

I propose they update the skill check mechanic and make it a bit more advanced/interactive, something like a random key/button will appear and you need to press it within X amount of time instead of the default button people use. It isn't a huge change but I think this will make gens less boring to complete as you have to pay attention to what icon will appear on screen and it won't be so predictable.

Another idea would be to have a sequence of icons/buttons appear and you need to press them in time. Kinda like a guitar hero/dance mat simulator but with controller/keyboard buttons.

On the same note, I also think they should add skill checks to totems. Again this is a small change and won't have a huge impact, but will at least slow down the rate at which hex totems are destroyed. Considering destroying a hex totem takes a perk from a killer, they should be a bit more difficult.

@Peanits @Patricia

Comments

  • Interested to hear others thoughts and improvements.

  • I dont like guitar hero. Thats why I play DBD and not that game. Id be okay with logic puzzles but i imagine others would feel as i do towards guitar hero.

    Hex totems are high risk high reward. They're powerful but fragile(ish) and that's how they were designed and should remain.

  • @SleepyWillo said:

    I dont like guitar hero. Thats why I play DBD and not that game. Id be okay with logic puzzles but i imagine others would feel as i do towards guitar hero.

    Hex totems are high risk high reward. They're powerful but fragile(ish) and that's how they were designed and should remain.

    Still… they should fix many hex totem spawns because they are a bullshit… like this one inside of a killershack.

  • @SleepyWillo said:

    I dont like guitar hero. Thats why I play DBD and not that game. Id be okay with logic puzzles but i imagine others would feel as i do towards guitar hero.

    Hex totems are high risk high reward. They're powerful but fragile(ish) and that's how they were designed and should remain.

    Fair enough, the example of guitar hero was just to give you an idea of the mechanic, you wouldn't need to like Guitar Hero for it to work and be enjoyable in DBD. Another example of the mechanic is in God of War 3, skip to 1:35

    https://youtu.be/diPLjpVaHtk

    I'm not saying they should do it exactly like this, but at least update it and add some more creative elements to it. It's current state is boring.

    Logic puzzles I'm also all for! That would be sweet.

    I agree Hex's are high risk / high reward, but adding a skill check to a 15 second totem isn't really hurting the survivors much, I just think they should have an extra layer of protection.