State of Game
Before I get into things too much, I'll state the following: I started as a survivor main for the first month or so. I wanted to experience the "victim" side of things first. I then start playing killer in order to understand it. I started with Billy, then Pig, eventually settled on Trapper as my favorite ( I know, wth was I thinking?!). I grew to splitting my time pretty much 50/50 as my wife and sons played and I'd join them as survivor, but played killer otherwise. Over the last 4-6 months, my family (who only play survivor) have quit playing. The nerfs, Legion, and overall game changes pushed them away from the game. In their defense, it was not about surviving, but the quality of game play that made them quit. My wife was the last to quit, and it was honestly the constant deluge of camping/tunneling that made the game boring for her. Easily 70% of the matches were one or the other. If you are not the victim, you hold M1 and rush out. Boring. Add in pip changes, which for survivor require a killer who spreads attention in order to get chase, escape, healing, etc to pip, and she was pretty much done.
So, for the past 4 months or more, I have been 90/10 killer who mains Trapper with a sprinkle of Pig, Hag, Shape, and occasional Doc. I'm colorblind and most maps are a blur of meshed color. I can't see blood or scratch marks except in The Game. I hunt by anticipation and movement. I've primarily hung around the purple ranks, but have dipped my foot in red ranks a few times. I usually try to avoid red because the survivors are severely toxic at those ranks. I enjoy playing casual and for fun. I don't camp or tunnel unless you are teabagging when I'm obviously being merciful (drop you at a gen because I downed you within seconds of getting off hook and you teabag me later).
Long intro, but I'm concerned about the state of the game. My que times have been steadily getting worse. Player count has been down for some time now. More and more survivor nerfs are implemented with each chapter. Survivor player base is getting to a concerning level. I find most of the killer community on this board do not represent the majority of killers by far. They are whiney, and cry about everything that prevents an easy 4k within 7 minutes. Personally, I have found that most games are too easy. Nine of ten games are 3-4k, with several being mercy hatches. That 10th game may be a royal butt kicking by an organized SWF.
So why are we continuing to nerf survivor side perks/game play? The latest tear-induced pool is MoM. I don't get the craze over the crying on it. I have noticed no difference in my kill rates with Trapper. I noticed a lot of potatoes use it in purple ranks. They run straight and depend on MoM. I usually get to farm on extra hit from each for points, and it helps them very little. If I don't have problems with it, and I can't see crap on the map, how the heck is it a problem? If it gets nerfed, that is just more survivors who will move to killer, or quit which destroys my que times.
I know killers want to kill. I know we want the satisfaction of a 4k, but at some point we have to start being concerned about this game floating in the wrong direction. We need to attract new survivor mains. We want 4 survivors or more for every killer who plays. If we keep sliding the game to the killer side, we will not attract new blood. We will end up with only the most toxic survivors around, and lose the casual base. And make no mistake about it, this is a casual game that attracts fans of the horror genre. It is not a competitive game, and never will be.
So, for all of those who don't care about the game health, keep flaming all opinions other than your own. For those who do care, maybe we should start having some reasonable conversations about QoL things that truly should change for both sides. (I know I could use less chasing from pallet to pallet and more of something new and interesting. Survivors need options other than pallet looping. Its why I hate running Doc sometimes. No stealth, just looping.)
Comments
@Heroiq Then why post? Just want everyone to know you are like the rest of your generation and have no attention spend or ability to read and comprehend topics longer than a 160 or so character? lol
No it's not that some people simply don't have the time to read that because of what they are doing I use the forums because of the lack of time I have on my hands I can put it down whenever I need to do something. It's not because of someones generation some people don't have time to read a wall of text plus a TLDR can help condense the point you are trying to get across.
@KillermainBTWm8 Still makes no sense to comment if you did not have time to read. It is not like you were forced to. Just move along unless you care enough to read. That is the problem with the issues in this game. Nobody wants to actually take the time to work on issues. Just cry and whine, make dumb comments and move on.
Yeah everything you said is 100% accurate. I don't play anywhere near as much due to what's been done so I've found other games. Yes, the majority of the voices on here are killers. Yes, the conversation is one sided. The downside is people move on due to the lack of diversity of balanced feedback. People vote with their feet...
OP, you avoid red ranks. That makes everything else you said invalid, because you don't actually play the game at the highest level. Good analysis, but it's based on incomplete information.
That's so ridiculous. Most of the player base is not in the red ranks. Especially casual players. Their experiences are just as important. Their criticisms are not invalid because they don't live up to your standard. Not everyone wants to commit a ton of time to this game.
Also, as someone who is often in the red ranks (when I'm playing enough to get there), I agree with a lot of what you say, OP.
But getting camped or tunneled sometimes will probably always be a part of the experience. Some nights it happens like five games in a row and I'm ready to throw my controller at the wall, but then I often have a bunch of really fun games, too. Playing this regularly does take some patience and dedication, that's for sure. I wouldn't fault anyone for not playing it. But for me there is no other horror gaming experience like it and I'll put up with the ######### trials to get to the fun ones.
I hope your family keeps checking in to give the game a chance with new updates and dlc.
I agree. Killer is honestly not hard to play, people make a big stink about it and say they NEED to do this or that to win. You don't, you just have to understand your opponent. Yes, at the highest level the game favors survivors, but the only time that becomes noticeable is against a 4 man SWF on comms with stacked builds. And I mean survivors that can do loops PERFECTLY, and make PERFECT use of all their perks/items. These sorts of survivors are rare.
And while I agree that there still need to be some tweaks to make this part more fair to killers, those tweaks should only affect those types of survivors. This is why I am so against the idea of a second objective, because all that does is hurt the 99% of survivors that aren't at this level. Those survivors are already easy fodder for any good killer. The solutions need to target the highest tier of survivor players while having little to no impact on the rest of the survivor population.
MOM does need some tweaks, only to allow for some counter play on killer's side. But it's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. If the devs end up having it require protection hits that alone would make the perk balanced and fair.
I play killer at rank 1 against good survivors. I can understand when a killer is forced to play scummy, but then there are killers that will play scummy out of the gate and say stuff like "well I had to because you are SWF/it's corn map/etc.". No the only time you should be playing scummy is if you are pushed into that position. If you just play scummy out of the gate, you are an ######### no other way to say it. I do my best to play fair as killer, and I only resort to scummy tactics when actually pushed into that position. I don't preemptively play scummy then point at the other side and say "you made me" when they really didn't. This is besides the fact that killers have a lot of OP stuff at their disposal too. All you need to do is run Ruin and NOED together, pick your most OP add-on combo (every killer has at least 1), and equip an Ebony mori. You should have no problem getting a 4k every game. The only games where you won't get the 4k will be against those perfect 1% of survivor stacks, and even then you can expect to get at least a 2k. If they you do this and it's still a 4e, then sorry to say you just flat out suck as killer and are probably boosted.
Also LOL at anyone asking for TLDR. If you don't have time to read just move on. It took me 5 minutes to write this whole comment, it shouldn't take you more than 2 minutes to read. If you can't spare 2 minutes then you shouldn't be here. You should go back to work or school or whatever it is that is apparently more worth your time.
"Survivor player base is getting to a concerning level"
This simply not true and you don't have any data to show otherwise.
"I find most of the killer community on this board do not represent the majority of killers by far. They are whiney, and cry about everything that prevents an easy 4k within 7 minutes."
You have nothing to actually substantiate this. You also just disagree with the killers opinions and ASSUME "cry about everything that prevents an easy 4k within 7 minutes." is what they want, which is also not true. "whiney, and cry" is your interpretation of stating issues with the game.
Just because the killers think the game isn't balanced doesn't make them whiney, crying, or just want 4k's.
"If we keep sliding the game to the killer side"
The game has been since its release and still is heavily survivor sided. That isn't an opinion. I play BOTH sides at rank 1 on every reset with vastly more hours than the average player so I am not biased in this whatsoever. Playing survivor right now is very easy.
"Personally, I have found that most games are too easy. Nine of ten games are 3-4k, with several being mercy hatches."
If you really were doing this well then you would be rank 1. Since you aren't this is clearly not completely true.
"So why are we continuing to nerf survivor side perks/game play?"
Because it's needed. "Most" killers are still extremely weak.
"It is not a competitive game, and never will be."
The definition of competitive would disagree with you.
"So, for all of those who don't care about the game health"
If you cared about the games health you would be asking for killer buffs to get them to the strength they should be at.
"Survivors need options other than pallet looping"
This is the only thing you've said that I agree with. Survivors do need more options than pallet looping.
That is simply absurd. The majority of the players won't be red ranks. Their opinions of the game are invalidated by that? The entire game can't revolve around the ultra competitive people. It is in the end a game. Games are meant to be fun.
is this a walls of text competition?
You play purple ranks, there are no tryhards there, that's why you dont have a problem with MoM. That doesnt mean the perk is balanced, would you say 5 blink Nurse is balanced if you'd only see potatoes using her? No, right? This is the same. MoM has no counter play and is getting balanced (not nerfed) because of It.
You say camping and tunneling are out of control, you want to know why? Most people camp when there's no other choice, they camp at the end-game to secure a kill, that's because the game doesnt provide killers enough time to accomplish their objective before survivors accomplish their objective, even devs have recognized this problem. Same goes for tunneling, when people dont care about healing and just rush gens like there's no tomorrow you'll see that the only viable way to get kills is by tunneling, simple as that. You want these problems gone? Then pray for killer buffs.
You say survivors are leaving because they're getting nerfed? It's come to a point in which survivors are moaning and crying because they have been taken away the control they had over killers. Broken bs like old exhaustion recovery while running, old DS, MoM (soon), pallet vacuum and many other have been nerfed so that the game can be more balanced, most of the survivors that are leaving the game for that reason is because they wont be able to bully the killer anymore.
You say the player base has dropped, and it's because survivors are leaving? Do you have proof of that? Double pallets are back, Thanatophobia got nerfed, sounds are still broken, fast vaults are still broken, things like infinites are still a thing, Legion got nerfed, Pig got nerfed for no reason as well, MoM is basically DS 2.0 rn, ######### like Insta-heals are still a thing, genrush hasnt been adressed yet, we are going to see the first gameplay of Freddy's rework this month after waiting almost a year for it, etc, etc. And you say the ones that are leaving are survivors? Dont make me laugh.
+1 Well said.
Excuse me? Im red rank EVERY season and everything he says is 100% true. Stop acting so elite because you THINK you play the game at the 'highest' level.
Do you play killer as well at rank 1?