The Entity's True Biological Makeup

So, the big baddie of the Dead By Daylight lore, the same thing we see kill us after 2 minutes of staring at a Leatherface on a hook, is one character we know next to nothing about and is really only known on the wiki. One large question I and others in the community ask is this: what is the Entity made of? Of course there's already the small description in the Auric Cell shop, but that really doesn't tell us much. What are the claws made of? What within the Entity makes the orange spikes on the "elbows" of the claws? Please, if someone who knows or if a dev is reading, please give at least a small description. If not, just discuss your own ideas.

Comments

  • I don't believe we are meant to know much about the Entity, which I like..a lot. However, perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe someone mentioned that the claws are very spider-like, so maybe that would give you an idea of the biological makeup.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    I have a few different ideas about the Entity. I've always found the lore of this game intriguing because of the way everyone interprets the small amount of information we know differently.

    Theory 1 - The Entity is everything we see in the trial. This is just an idea that I've seen shared around a few times when looking into the lore of the game. It isn't based off much evidence but it makes sense, particularly with the new end-game collapse. The wiki for the game states that the Entity exists 'in the space between our world and our imagination'. Presumably there are no materials here in which to create buildings, terrain etc so the Entity must make up the physical structures we see in the trials. Furthermore, the wiki states that the location of the Entity's realm is the sort of place 'only reveled in dreams'. Which makes me wonder - is the Entity actually real? I mean this in the sense that the Entity can only cross into the real world (the game's version of the human world) when tragic events occur in which it pulls survivors and killers into its realm. So maybe the Entity is less of a physical being which carries out biological processes and perhaps more of a concept which holds survivors and killers in a dream-like world in which it is omnipotent and omnipresent within its own realm. This theory would make the Entity a supernatural force more than a living creature. The aforementioned end-game collapse adds some strength to this idea as whenever the Entity presents itself in a trial, it manifests with an glowing-orange effect and ember-like particles. During the end-game collapse the entire trial glows in a similar way which suggest they are the same thing - the Entity.

    Theory 2 - This is my preferred theory as it has some actual basis in the game's lore. It is basically what you said about the Auric Cells. I believe that Auric Cells are the building blocks of the Entity's world. In this idea, the Entity's world is a physical plain of existence which is controlled by the Entity. I like to think of Auric Cells as the elements of the Entity's realm; the most basic substances that exist in this world. Moreover, I believe that the Entity is able to arrange these Auric Cells into various structures which come together to form buildings, fog, generators and ultimately the trials themselves. Vigo's Notebook states that Auric Cells may be 'primordial building blocks' which really stuck out to me when reading up on the lore. That being said, the question is still unanswered; what is the Entity itself? I choose to believe that the Entity is a disembodied conscience which controls and observes the trials. It manifests itself by arranging the Auric Cells to form the tendrils we see when hooked survivors reach the struggle sequence, when it blocks windows etc.

    I also think this idea leads to a much wider discussion of is the Entity the only one with power in the Entity's realm? Vigo raises an interesting point when they ask: 'Can we [the survivors] harness their power?'. My understanding of the Entity's construct is that the survivors can and do use the Auric Cells to give them an advantage unknowingly. It would explain how the survivors have supernatural instincts and can use their 'aura reading' abilities to see objects that are out of sight. This theory additionally helps to explain certain perks and other lore questions. For example, Quentin's teachable perk: 'Pharmacy'. How does Quentin guarantee an Emergency Med-Kit on a chest search? He rearranges the Auric Cells to form one. There's another Vigo quote which stands out to me as well in relation to this. Vigo's journal details how they now 'understand how to bend The Fog's irrefragable rules.' (Vigo's Shroud Uncommon Offering) which to me indicates that Vigo is now able to form things out of Auric Cells and shape the Entity's realm somewhat. It would help to explain where some of the survivor items came from. It is written that it is 'unclear' where the Toolbox came from; the unknown speaker asks if they were 'brought in by one of us'. (Toolbox Uncommon Item).

    Sorry I kind of went on a tangent but I hope you found this somewhat interesting. These are just random theories that have likely been stated before ๐Ÿ˜….

    To be perfectly honest, I'm fairly certain your second theory states it best. Of course this is only my personal idea that coincides with yours. But I do feel that the Auric Cells ARE the entity and such, otherwise, like the information you presented, the Entity would be an omnipotent supernatural being that just exists nearly as a dream. But, in the essence of general debate and conversation, i must ask, if the Entity was to be within a realm akin to that of dreaming, then would Freddy's dream world show the complete picture of what the Entity is?

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    I have a few different ideas about the Entity. I've always found the lore of this game intriguing because of the way everyone interprets the small amount of information we know differently.

    Theory 1 - The Entity is everything we see in the trial. This is just an idea that I've seen shared around a few times when looking into the lore of the game. It isn't based off much evidence but it makes sense, particularly with the new end-game collapse. The wiki for the game states that the Entity exists 'in the space between our world and our imagination'. Presumably there are no materials here in which to create buildings, terrain etc so the Entity must make up the physical structures we see in the trials. Furthermore, the wiki states that the location of the Entity's realm is the sort of place 'only reveled in dreams'. Which makes me wonder - is the Entity actually real? I mean this in the sense that the Entity can only cross into the real world (the game's version of the human world) when tragic events occur in which it pulls survivors and killers into its realm. So maybe the Entity is less of a physical being which carries out biological processes and perhaps more of a concept which holds survivors and killers in a dream-like world in which it is omnipotent and omnipresent within its own realm. This theory would make the Entity a supernatural force more than a living creature. The aforementioned end-game collapse adds some strength to this idea as whenever the Entity presents itself in a trial, it manifests with an glowing-orange effect and ember-like particles. During the end-game collapse the entire trial glows in a similar way which suggest they are the same thing - the Entity.

    Theory 2 - This is my preferred theory as it has some actual basis in the game's lore. It is basically what you said about the Auric Cells. I believe that Auric Cells are the building blocks of the Entity's world. In this idea, the Entity's world is a physical plain of existence which is controlled by the Entity. I like to think of Auric Cells as the elements of the Entity's realm; the most basic substances that exist in this world. Moreover, I believe that the Entity is able to arrange these Auric Cells into various structures which come together to form buildings, fog, generators and ultimately the trials themselves. Vigo's Notebook states that Auric Cells may be 'primordial building blocks' which really stuck out to me when reading up on the lore. That being said, the question is still unanswered; what is the Entity itself? I choose to believe that the Entity is a disembodied conscience which controls and observes the trials. It manifests itself by arranging the Auric Cells to form the tendrils we see when hooked survivors reach the struggle sequence, when it blocks windows etc.

    I also think this idea leads to a much wider discussion of is the Entity the only one with power in the Entity's realm? Vigo raises an interesting point when they ask: 'Can we [the survivors] harness their power?'. My understanding of the Entity's construct is that the survivors can and do use the Auric Cells to give them an advantage unknowingly. It would explain how the survivors have supernatural instincts and can use their 'aura reading' abilities to see objects that are out of sight. This theory additionally helps to explain certain perks and other lore questions. For example, Quentin's teachable perk: 'Pharmacy'. How does Quentin guarantee an Emergency Med-Kit on a chest search? He rearranges the Auric Cells to form one. There's another Vigo quote which stands out to me as well in relation to this. Vigo's journal details how they now 'understand how to bend The Fog's irrefragable rules.' (Vigo's Shroud Uncommon Offering) which to me indicates that Vigo is now able to form things out of Auric Cells and shape the Entity's realm somewhat. It would help to explain where some of the survivor items came from. It is written that it is 'unclear' where the Toolbox came from; the unknown speaker asks if they were 'brought in by one of us'. (Toolbox Uncommon Item).

    Sorry I kind of went on a tangent but I hope you found this somewhat interesting. These are just random theories that have likely been stated before ๐Ÿ˜….

    Not bad...not bad at all

  • @ImmersedNurse It has been stated by the devs [Source Pending] that whatever isn't the survivors or killers that you see, it's the Entity herself. So the first theory is already confirmed somewhat. Your second theory is rather interesting and I feel has a lot of ground. It would make sense, however if Quentin IS using Auric Cells, he must not be actively aware that he is.

    There are theories that the Entity is completely physical, however, she might be more akin to a plant then a animal, The Hallowed Blight being a example. The lore of Dead by Daylight is very interesting and I hope is expended on.

    ILP.png


  • I made a very extensive post on this quite some time ago, way back during the Hallowed Blight event.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/29667/an-in-depth-look-into-benedicts-hallowed-blight-entries/p1?new=1

  • @AntiJelly said:

    I made a very extensive post on this quite some time ago, way back during the Hallowed Blight event.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/29667/an-in-depth-look-into-benedicts-hallowed-blight-entries/p1?new=1

    How do we know the Hallowed Blight journal entries are from Benedict Baker again?


    I recall it being some random person, not Vigo or Baker...

  • @bubbascal said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/459766#Comment_459766

    How do we know the Hallowed Blight journal entries are from Benedict Baker again?

    I recall it being some random person, not Vigo or Baker...

    Because the devs confirmed it.

  • Why not go for the meta-explanation that the Entity is BHVR and the players? It's us that force the survivors and killers to partake in this endless conflict.