It's time to fix Survivor and Killer Hitboxes

With dedicated servers in the near future the time comes where bhvr should start fixing survivor and killer hitboxes.

We all know that currently the game is heavily favoured towards OPTIMAL survivors while lowrank survivors rarely escape, this is mostly due to optimal looping that's being done by optimal survivors dragging out a single pallet by up to 3 times the time it should normally take.

Killers get looped because their hitbox is too big to turn around those corners effectively making their 115% movement speed more akin to 106-107%. (a perfectly looping survivor can run around a hag for ages).

This only affects mostly Rank1 survivors to the point where it makes it physically impossible for most of the m1 roster to even get the first kill before all gens are done.

So to offset this fundamental problem with DBD bhvr should make the killer hitboxes smaller.

-Yes this would take away bodyblocking the basement but I think the fact that survivors have to run down the stairs, unhook somebody there and run up again should give the killer enough of an advantage already anyways.

-Yes, the wraith would have a harder time blocking windows or pallets

-Yes deadharding survivors won't be able to be bodyblocked at a pallet anymore

-Yes the game would become less skillful overall but let's not forget one thing: you're not playing Quake, you're not playing CSGO, you're not playing League Starcraft or Dota2, the game is a assymetrical game mostly meant for fun as evident by the devs design philosophy.

-Good survivors would still be able to loop the killer longer at mindgame spots like t-walls or junglegyms and use more effective routes or memorize where pallets went down.


But I think the advantages to fundamental gameplay aspects would improve if the killer Hitboxes were smaller in the first place.

-Killers would have their intended speed at all times thus making balancing much more easy.

-More pallets could be introduced to the map again since looping a pallet would not be a viable option anymore making this game more beginner friendly for survivors.

-The game would become much easier to balance and the frustrating skill disparities between SWF and solosurvivors would be much lower.

Comments

  • @MhhBurgers

    Or . . .

    . . . we just make their hit boxes back to the large size they used to be?

  • @Peasant said:

    @MhhBurgers

    Or . . .

    . . . we just make their hit boxes back to the large size they used to be?

    I dont want to see the sandbagging and even more ridiculous window hits, survivors should still be able to somewhat evade a killer hit.

  • @Peasant said:

    @MhhBurgers

    Or . . .

    . . . we just make their hit boxes back to the large size they used to be?

    I have watched a couple of videos with old hitboxes and it looks garbage. I hope they don't do something like this.

  • With dedicated servers in the near future the time comes where bhvr should start fixing survivor and killer hitboxes.

    Well stated on all points and it'd be much more fair to both sides and the lower skill players as well.

  • Good points. Though I would add that Trapper might benefit from a smaller hit box. I've seen survivors weave through the pallet even when the trap was well centered, but Trapper can't get close without hitting it. Smaller hit box might make him more able to continue the chase without being hindered by his own traps.

    I also agree that the survivor hit boxes should not be increased. I can't tell you how many times I've completely stopped out of pure shock that a swing hit the survivor. I jokingly performed a quick swing at a survivor who was almost a pallet's distance away, because we were actually having a fun match and goofing off, and it hit! We both had a good laugh after the match, but come on!

    Hitboxes, lets work on them and hold off on the next Meg outfit, eh?

  • @Warlock_2020 said:

    Good points. Though I would add that Trapper might benefit from a smaller hit box. I've seen survivors weave through the pallet even when the trap was well centered, but Trapper can't get close without hitting it. Smaller hit box might make him more able to continue the chase without being hindered by his own traps.

    I also agree that the survivor hit boxes should not be increased. I can't tell you how many times I've completely stopped out of pure shock that a swing hit the survivor. I jokingly performed a quick swing at a survivor who was almost a pallet's distance away, because we were actually having a fun match and goofing off, and it hit! We both had a good laugh after the match, but come on!

    Hitboxes, lets work on them and hold off on the next Meg outfit, eh?

    That's even more of a reason to make killer hitboxes smaller.

  • No other feedback? :/

  • Peanits, IIRC, said that it's not primarily about the hitboxes, but rather the fact that survivors and killers accelerate at the same rate, and so it takes killers longer to reach their top speed. This is not to say that there isn't an issue, but the solution to this problem is quite clear: make it so both survivors and killers reach top speed at the same time. The math should be very easy to do.

  • @Orion said:

    Peanits, IIRC, said that it's not primarily about the hitboxes, but rather the fact that survivors and killers accelerate at the same rate, and so it takes killers longer to reach their top speed. This is not to say that there isn't an issue, but the solution to this problem is quite clear: make it so both survivors and killers reach top speed at the same time. The math should be very easy to do.

    I'd still be okay with the killerhitbox becoming smaller tho, the basement will probably become a deathtrap with basement builds now that DS is gone, survivors should at least be able to counter this with BT somewhat.


    Also I think maps like The Game and Lerys need some way to indicate where survivors can find gens.