Lights "Out" Issues
So I'm a killer main with around 23k hours, and when I first saw Lights Out 2+ years ago, it was the goofiest, most thrilling thing (at least for me) when it came to playing as a killer. Several times, I would play horror icons just to scare people, whether they were random people enjoying themselves or Twitch streamers, to get those AMAZING reactions. A good example is Michael Myers. I didn't care if I could stalk them or not, or if I even won; I just wanted to play a character people know is scary and jump-scare them as him. I had so many clips of this with TTVs, and they had an incredible time from what they told me, saying I "kept them on edge" or "I was terrified to do any generators". Overall, everyone had a great time! Now here we are; it's finally back, and…
It's horrible. Like, maybe even worse than "horrible". I understand that a few tweaks could have been added so survivors had a better chance and the scales tipped a little bit in their favor. However, seems they tipped the scales using a dumbbell instead of coins. They completely BUTCHERED this game mode, and that's putting it lightly. The whole spiel about the new "Lanturns" and all of this scared the crap out of me. I watched several YouTubers talk about it; primarily, SpookNJukes. Giving survivors free WO (Windows of Opportunity) and even more visuals is ludicrous. Additionally, with the full minute of endurance, doing generators 20% faster, and being able to see the auras of the doors? Are we actually serious right now????
The survivors get basically 5 free perks while playing this: Prove Thy Self (without other survivors), perma Shadow Step, Off The Record, Wake Up (door reading), and Windows. Meanwhile, the killers don't get…anything??? Like, yeah, they got basekit moving insideous, great and all, but if the survivors got a pair of eyes with their little lanterns, that isn't going to do ANYTHING. Yet again, along with the anniversary, the killers are left to fend for themselves and suffer while survivors get to have all the fun stuff. Lights Out is meant to be scary. Now, it's just normal DBD without in-play perks. I tried playing a Michael Myers game just to try and scare people, and I never got one jump scare. Even in the endgame chat, they were saying I "wasn't even scary".
This is a problem. The Lights Out mode is meant to at least lean a bit towards the killer side, but in a fun way for everyone, and it was. A few things could have used minor tweaks, yes, I agree. For example, the endurance could be a bit longer, but not a full minute. Or maybe expand the visual of the candles a bit more. Or maybe even this: maybe they could have added the lanterns, but it wasn't a replacement. Instead, it was a rare find you could find on the map after you complete… let's say 2 or 3 generators. Or, it could be like a small mid-game "event" where the Lanterns would spawn instead of candles for a very limited time, and they had a "fuel" meter (like a Mend bar).
Either way, this event is now in jeopardy. I'm honestly scared about 2v8 coming up next week. I love this game mode to death, and I pray it doesn't get butchered like Lights Out.
Comments
If survivors are bit competent its easy win like 3 gens can be done before first hook reliably if survivors think and spread and dont go down with WOO lantern in 10 seconds.
I get it was more killer sided but they overcooked it with buffs for survivors like:
So looking at it yeah that number of buffs is huge, Im not even surprised some killers sweat when good team can cook you in 7 minutes or less. I see what devs wanted to do and I get it yeah it was good idea but like everything they always do they overdone it, overcooked with buffs to one side.
If DBD devs had restaurant the option to get rare or mid steak wouldnt be possible there because they would overcook them always.
I think the matchmaking might be busted in it too. I literaly had a team with alteast 3 players that had 2 hours in the game ( i have like 9.5 p100s and they were on their first ever prestige). Lets just say even as skull merchant i took them out like rambo where it ended up with all 4 on hooks at the same time lol. Couldnt really tell they were new since people are just getting used to this mode.
I don't think thats supposed to happen even with auto filling the lobby.
They gave far too many buffs to survivors. Range of the free WoO should be greatly reduced to only light up pallets and vaults that's within the light is what 10 meters? Remove the %20 faster gen time. Played both sides of that mode and escaping is far too easy unless it's Legion.
Most my games we ditch the lanterns lol
I played a few Survivor matches and they were all one-sided — either the killer got no hooks (or one hook) or else, in one case, we got zero gens (against Legion, interestingly — does Legion still get killer instinct or something?)
I don't mind some of the buffs to Survivor — like, I think being able to see the doors is fine — but it feels like, much like the anniversary, all of the interactive mechanics went to the survivors and the killer's only new objective is "interfere with them using their stuff."