AI should be present in EGC - prove me wrong.

Say what you want in end-game chat (EGC); most of the time I genuinely do not care. If someone calls me trash, toxic, or unemployed depending on how the match went, it usually has no effect on me. Competitive games naturally involve some level of trash talk, and I can tolerate that in the vast majority of situations.

However, there is a significant difference between ordinary trash talk and comments such as “buy a rope,” “jump from somewhere high,” or "your sister sure looks r8pble". Those statements are not simply competitive banter—they are targeted harassment and can be genuinely harmful. Very often if you simply mis-spell a word (like the "r8pble" you can bypass the banned word list whilst getting the same point across.

I can usually ignore those comments, my concern is less about myself and more about how other players may respond to them. Not everyone has the same ability to brush off attacks, suicide encouragement, or sexually threatening remarks. to be frank- it may cause them to stop playing the game entirely.

Because of that, I believe the game should implement an AI to analyze the EGC chat and do the following: (gemini or openAI or claude would be pretty good at the task).

  1. Automatically filter obvious prohibited terms and phrases related to self-harm, suicide, and similar abusive language.
  2. Analyze the context of a sentence rather than relying solely on individual banned words. For example, a phrase such as “jump from somewhere high” may not contain a specific banned term, but its intent and direction clearly constitute harassment and encouragement of self-harm.
  3. Integrate directly with the reporting system so that clearly abusive messages can be flagged automatically, reducing the burden on players to manually report every incident themselves.

The goal is not to eliminate all trash talk or competitive banter; it is to distinguish between harmless post-game frustration and language that crosses the line into targeted harassment, self-harm encouragement, and sexual threats. A contextual AI moderation system would be far more effective at making that distinction than a simple keyword blacklist.

Comments

  • I'd rather people just turn off chat then add more generative AI to the game. No thanks.

  • Discord tried this and people started getting banned for posting grids and grid like patterns because the AI thought it was CP, we absolutely do not need people getting randomly banned because of random AI glitches and misinterpretations.

  • There is a report category in-game specifically for Harassment/Communication Abuse. This is what people can turn to if players cross the line.

    And by making a support ticket afterwards you can be sure it gets picked up.

  • @MarbleThrone said:

    There is a report category in-game specifically for Harassment/Communication Abuse. This is what people can turn to if players cross the line.

    And by making a support ticket afterwards you can be sure it gets picked up.

    The problem is that BHVR does nothing with chat abuse reports. I’ve reported people for death wishes, racial/homophobic slurs, etc. Not a single ban for anyone as far as I know. They seem to not care at all about this.

  • Here’s proving you wrong: AI doesn’t always get it right. People will be falsely banned and that is reason enough to not do it.

  • @Your_Dad_Playing_DbD said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4100196#Comment_4100196

    The problem is that BHVR does nothing with chat abuse reports. I’ve reported people for death wishes, racial/homophobic slurs, etc. Not a single ban for anyone as far as I know. They seem to not care at all about this.

    20260414185527_1.jpg

    This was following a report from a match where the Killer decided to hurl some slurs in end game chat.

    It definitely helps to report both in-game and with a ticket afterwards to get it to the devs' attention.

  • **** AI it's killing the planet

  • @MarbleThrone said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4100204#Comment_4100204

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/4V0BDO7KPE16/20260414185527-1.jpg

    This was following a report from a match where the Killer decided to hurl some slurs in end game chat.

    It definitely helps to report both in-game and with a ticket afterwards to get it to the devs' attention.

    Thanks - I guess I’ll try submitting a ticket as well next time to see if I have better luck getting a response.

  • @MarbleThrone said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4100204#Comment_4100204

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/4V0BDO7KPE16/20260414185527-1.jpg

    This was following a report from a match where the Killer decided to hurl some slurs in end game chat.

    It definitely helps to report both in-game and with a ticket afterwards to get it to the devs' attention.

    wait - at what point did anyone get a 6.25x modifier?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

  • @Doctor_Xenomorph said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4100213#Comment_4100213

    wait - at what point did anyone get a 6.25x modifier?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

    Looks like during the Blood Moon event.

  • 1 already happens.

    2 is very prone to false positives

    3… it’s two clicks. The time save is negligible at best, and very much not worth the sheer amount of false positives it’ll send support.


    not to mention it’s going to be anglocentric.

  • Just let me disable the chat feature completely, not just "hide" it, basically having zero chat box whatsoever like console players have with no way to turn it on except when you're completely out of the match and postgame screen. Show on the scoreboard which players have access to chat and which don't. That way you'll know if the globe players are console or EGC, people will know you have no chat if you've turned it off so they'll waste less time waiting for an argument after a match if they see the player they're mad at has chat disabled anyway.

    When it comes to moderation, BHVR barely moderate postgame chat anyway, they just threw on a roblox filter and called it a day. And I personally think banning people from playing the game they bought because of what they say in chat is unfair, banning them from chat makes much more sense. But since there's no chat bans, only game bans, there's only the nuclear option of banning players from the game when they talk trash which I get why BHVR doesn't do. Even then I still wouldn't want AI moderating it, that's just stupid.

    On the topic of bans, it's still baffling to me that there's no separate chat ban vs game ban. I don't care if a player who is extremely vile in chat gets to keep playing, but I do agree that it's an incredibly bad look and very unprofessional of BHVR to allow people to tell others creative ways to kill themselves after every single match and get zero punishment.

    I'd actually prefer they completely remove both the chat censor and the report option for harrassment entirely and just let people go wild if they're going to do this moderation half-measure where extremely toxic people basically never get a punishment anyway. I'd like to see BHVR own up to how awful post game chat is and just come out and say "from now on, post game chat is unmoderated, if you don't like it block players that are mean or turn the feature off". Again, as long as I could turn it off and everyone could see that I had it turned off, I wouldn't care what these people said to each other in post game chat since it wouldn't be my problem anymore.