What happened to the LOL button?
I miss the LOL button, does anyone know why it was removed?
R.I.P LOL Button
I miss the LOL button, does anyone know why it was removed?
R.I.P LOL Button
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Like rank 1s against rank 20s, it got abused hard.
So it was removed because someones feelings got hurt?... What...
The lol button will never die
That still doesn't make sense to me, but alright.
I know, toxicity and life threats are daily buisness in DBD, but dear god ..... a lol button in the forums....
That's basically what i'm gathering here. Everyone turns a blind eye to the massive toxicity but a lol button...its gotta be stopped!
It was removed because it was being heavily abused. Several people were running bots that spammed other users' comments with "LOL" reactions, increasing the amount they had by hundreds (in one case thousands) overnight. It was decided it was best to remove it.
What about the upvote or awesome button.
People couldnt use bots to boost it by hundreds?
Is it really that surprising that the toxic elements in the community would rather try to bring others down than lift themselves up?
So what about the flag button then?
That cant be abused?
I could do this all day, you could even run a script that generates automatic responses..... with that logic you would have to remove the whole forum because it can be abused
Read what I said. I didn't say it could be abused, I said it was being abused. The mods eventually decided having the "LOL" button around was doing more harm than good, so it was removed.
Anything you said can apply to anything on the forums. It just sounds to me that because it was a LOL button that people cried over it.
Allow me one question.
Why is stuff like that not ok in the forums, but in the game itself such stuff is totally ok. (take tbagging and flashlight clicking as example, no gameplay impact)
Really? So people are running bots to spam other reactions to try to make it seem like a large number of people disagree with certain users?
We're not talking about the possibility of abuse; we're talking about the actual abuse of this feature.
Do I look like a mod or dev?
The same can apply to a vote up or awesome in a counter post/counter comment. Its clear that because it was a LOL button and that it was heavily implying to whoever it was used on was "a joke." And as such that hurt someones feelings. So it was removed mainly due to that fact.
I'll ask you again: are people actively using bots to spam other reactions to try to make it seem like a large number of people disagree with certain users? Because if not, then no, the same doesn't apply.
No, as of now no. That doesn't mean it can't happen though either now can it?
Indeed, but do you think we should act on the hypothetical (and unlikely) scenario you've made up, or on the reality that we currently live in?
Because the reality is, it's impossible to automate such a system with positive reactions, because it'd require a bot that could read and interpret text to figure out if a comment was agreeing or disagreeing with a certain user. Anyone who could create such a bot wouldn't be using it to troll forum users; they'd be working for Alphabet, or Facebook, or the NSA, or the CIA, or the FBI, or literally any entity whose job description is to analyze and process data.
First the downvote button meant downvote:
Then the LOL button became the new downvote...
Now the Awesome button became the new downvote?
Don't awesome this comment
Paranoia intensifies
What in the ######### are you talking about? We're talking about scenarios Orion... Sce-Nar-ios... The fact that it CAN happen means it probably WILL happen! This is why people take steps to prevent that even if its unpreventable... And we're not talking about complex A.I. we're talking about man operated bots...
You're taking this way to far to prove a point...
Puts an awesome
Bet you didn't see that one coming!
What does it mean? What does it say? We'll never knoee~
Literally ######### legions drop
No, we're talking about automated bots, which is what actually happened. That's how the "LOL" ratings increased so quickly.
I could imagine a scenario where you post something bannable and get banned. Should you be banned as a precaution? That's the same logic you're advocating in regards to the remaining reaction buttons.
But only for things that are actually funny, so it all worked out.
Mhm I wonder how you program such bots.... Maybe with a python script? Mhm....
You know I had to.
All i'm saying is that because it can happen, that it could. Doesn't mean we should take massive precautions towards it "which I never said in the first place you're just putting words in my mouth..." i'm saying that it could happen again to any of the other buttons... but it also might not.... SO WHO KNOWS!
Awesome is the new LOL.
