Buffing Trapper
Many of us can agree that Trapper needs some kind of buffs, right?
I feel like one simple way would be to AT LEAST give him all his traps at the start.
My other ideas would be that he could maybe also spawn with the rest of the traps being open already, up his movement and/or give him the same temporary haste after someone gets caught in the trap instead.
I would be interested in hearing more ideas!
Tagged:
Killers
Comments
these are all things that have been suggested repeatedly for many years. behavior is aware of these suggestions and for reasons that tend not to be shared with us, is not going to happen.
Trapper needs so much. Starting with all of his traps and him having basekit trap auto-reset would be my first steps. There's simply no fun in walking around the map collecting and then reseting traps all day long - particularly not when the counter to him is to just send someone to immediately disarm them, leaving you playing trap reset simulator. Trapper can be entirely unfun for that reason along, much as Legion being a mend-simulator is unfun for Survivors.
Personally I'd also address the AOE on this traps. The example I'd use is that his traps can be run around in a pallet junction by survivors, but not by Trapper due to his larger collision. I have nothing against skill expression but for how time consuming his traps can be there's absolutely no reason he should be so easily countered in this particular sense.
Seeing a haste on trap trigger could be nice, but moreover I think I'd like to see traps become invisible to survivors who are running. Walking and crouching still leaves them visible, but full running survs should be unable to see them. Or Exhausted survs, perhaps. Something to reflect the effort of having active attention on the traps rather than on Trapper. Maybe instead, his traps being invisible to people in his TR? I'm unsure.
But HexSlugged is correct.
Giving him all his traps at the start of the match isn't the best idea, it emboldens and strengths the most obnoxious ways of playing him more than it helps playing him "properly", so to speak.
If I were to give Trapper a quick and dirty update to try and address some pain points in just one patch, I'd probably pitch the following:
Something along those lines I think would get him up to the point where you'd stop and monitor him again. He's never gonna be top tier, but he could be a lot better than he is.
Unfortunately I do feel that if you gave him every trap at the start, almost every player would set up all of the traps on basement or just one strong spot. He would then become pretty strong against uncoordinated teams who won't let someone die and it'd just be the most frustrating gameplay. He does need something preventing him from placing many, many traps in one area like the 3 gen immediately.
Obviously trapper is an incomplete killer because he loses the first half of the match to grabbing and setting those traps up. But I would want to be careful he isn't encouraged to sit in one spot starting from second zero.
I do like the idea of the traps spawning armed in useful places like windows/pallets though just as a start of course
Few easy adjustment to make him better:
→ Carries all traps at start basekit (max 8 traps)
→ Setting and reseting traps is done by a button press
→ Setting and resetting traps no longer grants haste
→ Once per 30s Trapper will get one trap and one disarmed trap will be removed
→ Escaping trap takes 10s and one attempt
you already can do that, its an addon but thats not the playstyle most trappers use though its super fun way to do so. basement trapper does require a bunch of luck, you kind of need to run bloody coil and the honisg stone one or imo its fairly trite to get past a trapped shack.
the few times ive done a bsement match, i feel the sweat on my brow as im fighting the time to get my traps up before anticamp kicks in and or survs bullrush through and i cant get set up.
I like moving around though so i dont play basement or single area trapper even to my detriment.
trapper definitely isnt strong enough in general to have to spend the first 2 minutes unable to do anything at all while survs get unpressured gen time. and if you pressure at the start you are as pure m1 as it gets(which you can win still but good luck) so something really needs to be done for his early game even if it was just 4 traps he started with. or traps being focused more at the center and not on a corner of the map that will take 10 seconds to walk to.
As someone who is a P100 Trapper, most of the communities suggestions for buffs are TERRIBLE ideas.
Giving him all 10 of his traps at the beginning of the trial would make his basement camping and 3-genning 10x stronger than it currently is. Imagine playing against a Double Iri Trapper that can set all 10 traps in the first minute of the game.
Pally and MintSkull have made good videos about this topic. Everyone should give them a watch.