Jason from a newcomer's perspective — OE makes the learning curve a wall, not a curve
I've been playing DBD for about two weeks. One week before Jason released, one week after. I want to share what that contrast actually feels like, because most feedback here comes from people who already know the game.
The first week was hard but readable. I was learning loops, terror radius, red stain. Every killer gave me some kind of signal — something to react to. I was losing, but I understood why I was losing.
Then Jason released.
I've read the counterplay. I know crouching blocks his detection. I do it. It helps — partially. But here's what counterplay doesn't fix:
Omnipresent Evil has no duration limit. In endgame, 2v1, he never leaves his power. One survivor on a gen gets spotted through mist. The other moves toward the gate and leaves footprints. There's no window where he's vulnerable, no moment where you can commit to the exit. He can patrol between both gates invisibly until someone is forced to move.
With other killers, you hear the terror radius. You see the red stain. You have a reaction window. Jason removes all of that simultaneously. For a veteran that's a puzzle. For someone still learning basic loops, it's a find with no readable cues and no way to respond.
I'm not saying he's broken. I understand why experienced survivors can handle him. But for new players, the endgame specifically feels like there's no legitimate path out — not because of skill, but because the power has no off-state.
A duration cap or cooldown on OE in the endgame phase would be enough. Not a gutting — just a moment where both sides have to commit to a real decision.
Comments
Omnipresent Evil is basically just Wraith Cloak. There's no reason Jason needs to be limited while in Omnipresent Evil.
My buddies are relatively new too, however I had them play against Wraith a bit and they got better against him I would recommend doing that.
The comparison to Wraith Cloak actually proves the point, not disproves it. Wraith's cloak has a mandatory exit signal — 3 seconds of uncloaking animation with a bell audible at 24 meters. That's a reaction window before he can attack. Jason exits OE only through Jump Scare, which has no equivalent audio warning on exit.
More importantly, Wraith cannot track survivors while cloaked — he has to find them manually after uncloaking. Jason tracks footprints and mist clouds while staying in OE, meaning he can patrol both gates without ever committing to a position. That's the structural difference. If OE were identical to Wraith Cloak, the endgame 2v1 scenario would play out the same way for both. It doesn't.
Practicing against Wraith is genuinely useful for reading the stealth approach — I'll try that, thank you. But the post is specifically about endgame structure, not the approach itself. Wraith has to uncloak to apply pressure, which means he has to commit to a location and give audio warning. The issue with OE in endgame is that Jason can maintain speed and passive tracking across both gates simultaneously without that commitment. Practicing Wraith helps me react to a stealth exit. It doesn't change whether OE has a structural off-state in 2v1.