What's your definition of being toxic in dbd?
When I first made my account in 2019, I was going through the tbag, flashlight click phase in my dbd timeline, something I thought was cool at the time. But once I learned being toxic was also associated to harassing people in endgame chat and through messages, I regretted making my name what it is because I do not do that, nor do I tbag or flashlight click anymore.
At this point in time what I associate to toxic is trolling/harassing through messages/end game chat, and doing anything within the game that holds another player hostage which has mostly been minimized in the past year. "Toxic SWFs" are not toxic in my opinion because they are using (annoying to deal with) in game mechanics to win the game, UNLESS they are being toxic in endgame chat.
Comments
Depends like in ingame chatt some slurs are clear what they are but ingame actions depends.
Like smacking cladette with bubba equiped with cladette mask on hook and tunneling/camping them to their death or humping them between on ground is pretty clear too I would say because there are so many things that pit coincidance out of options.
So it depends like what you do after some action but its lot of subjective some may totsly crumble mentaly or even physicaly because survivor tbags or killer hits them on hook or humps them or nods etc.
In 2019 ochidos troling was still quite still used so survivors that troll killer either by saving rach other and using strong lerks like ds,dh and constantly tbaging and clicking was considered toxic. Especisly from teams that recorded themselfs like ochodos and you clearly heard their names for that killer or from him for survivor like “baby”,”noobs, plrberina etc. It was just popular in early days so lot of people did it.
Generally it's the vein of "Don't be a [insert crude insulting choice of word] for low bar reasons".
Examples:
Slugging just to watch the bleed out.
Slugging for the 4k and not for the adept achievement.
Going out of your way to tunnel someone despite other viable targets literally throwing themselves at you. Not including Object users.
Waiting in the exit gate just to tbag despite knowing the killer ain't coming.
Sandbagging your teammates on purpose.
Ratting out a teammate who actually did work to try and save your own skin.
Giving up despite having decent odds to make a comeback there by throwing the rest of the team in the grinder.
Camping the hook and repeatedly smacking the survivor as if taunting. It'll backfire sure but still unnecessary for repeated smacks even if deserved.
Things best left unsaid in the endgame chat
There's probably more I'm forgetting but I'm lazy
Abusive chat.
Taking actions with the primary purpose of making someone else's experience worse.
General BM ing. I.e. hitting on hook, the back and forth on a slug, bleeding out, flash clicking, tbagging, sandbagging etc.
And abusive messages obvs.
A lot of people construe playing to win and tactics such as tunneling and slugging for the win as toxic. Which I don't personally think is right. I've played what I felt were close hard fought enjoyable games and then been cussed out afterwards. Like bruh, what do you want? Everyone to let you win all the time? Play according to your personal rulebook for dbd "fairplay?" Nah if I want to win I'm gonna play hard ball. Deal with it.
Nothing, because the game encourages all of it. If we can't even get the most basic stuff addressed that would never fly in any other PVP, how are we really going to hold bad behavior that thrives on it accountable?
Abusive post-game chat, otherwise harassing people outside of the match.
Anything in game can be varying degrees of BM, but can't rise to "toxicity", imo. Though that would change if the devs ever made the mistake of adding in game voice comms.
Of course, a lot of this is down to semantics and how we define things.
Apparently me taking Balanced Landing, Dead Hard, Adrenaline and Resilience was so toxic to one killer that he had to tunnel me. Amazing I have literally only 1 perk at full health, 2 when in injured, 3 once I am hooked, and 4 when we finish the very last gen was just soooo toxic. LMAO!
Slugging from the start of the game on purpose for the whole match as a strong mobility killer/twins is awful.
Going in to the game with the mindset of messing with the killer/survivors. And writing negative comments after the game to others. It's ok to point out mistakes but not to make it personal!
generally going out of your way to make someone elses experience worse without actually gaining an actual benefit from it.
Obviously there is grey areas like Hard tunneling someone out which may help get an ez match if the other survs don’t get the gens done or being annoying to the Killer to make them Chase you to either help a teammate or waste their time while the other survs get objectives done..
If something like teabagging or flashlight clicking is considered toxic to you, you must have the mental fortitude of a wet toilet paper.
Anything designed to irritate, upset, anger or otherwise bother players that doesn't confer a concrete advantage ingame.
This ranges from teabagging/nodding to bleeding out/taking matches hostage by hiding and avoiding crows.
Context is for kings.