Is crossplay the reason why matchmaking frequently feels so bad?
I get the sense that console players aren't very competitive. Like if you're a PC killer being matched against console survivors you're likely going to have an easy match. Anecdotally, it feels true anyway.
And a lot of people dodge lobbies for this reason.
But there are other reasons to dodge lobbies. As a Steam user I feel like most of the hackers I've encountered are globes (epic store users).
And I think any time someone leaves a lobby it opens up the lobby to anyone (no MMR requirement). If that's true then the MMR system really isn't even functioning in a lot of matches.
Comments
There are killers that suck to play on console mainly being the ability to run in more than one direction around obstacles whilst using their power - Blight Oni Chucky for example.
I love the alien movies but Xeno is garbage on console as it's a lot harder to avoid/hit flame turrets.
Sure you can change the settings on your controller but the 360 turn speed on pc will never be matched with a controller.
Without cross-play queue times would be longer so it may be a necessary evil.
You can’t allow a lot on consoles playing killers.
But survivors? Mostly it allows proper hug of every tile and better movement control, so honestly idk. I’ve seen few comp survs using consoles. We don't have any stats considering how people on this platform actually play. But I also noticed a weird tendency of cross play dying more likely when I’m on killer. So it's really controversial. I just assumed that killers on PC moves and play differs so console players can’t adapt to it
I play on console and I usually feel disadvantaged against PC players, but dodging is pointless. Almost everyone has the globe for me so there's no way for me to know if they're on PC or another console in lobby, and I'd never find a match with just console user unless I land a 4man as killer.
In-game, I can tell by the way people move if they're using kbm or controller. Certain killers are very difficult on controller too, so I don't even bother trying. I've seen some great console players in both roles though. It's possible, but it's harder. Crossplay was necessary but not very fair.
I play on PC and I’ve seen some very good console players, but in general the PC teammates/opponents seem to be more skilled. I assume that one of the main reasons is that it’s just easier to play the game with a keyboard and mouse.
Anyway, I don’t think cross play is the reason for bad matchmaking. I think it’s just that BHVRs matchmaking system is terrible. It prioritizes queue time far too much and basically “gives up” after like 5 seconds of trying to find a “fair” match. I would be more than willing to have longer queue times in exchange for more consistently getting competent teammates in my solo queue matches.
Honestly I feel anyone in console queue should be in their own Matchmaking only joining PC by going out of their way to, but with M+K input thats gone out the window now.
I'd play console a lot more if it was just controller/console players.
I've felt for a while now that platforms should track their own specific MMR. I regret linking my Switch to my Steam account because I know I can't maintain the same performance on both platforms. It wasn't worth completely ruining the game on Switch for the sake of shared characters and cosmetics.
It's not the end of the world or anything, because I tend to play on my Switch Lite only when I'm visiting family and it's good to have a way to play the game away from home. When I play on Switch it's without any expectation of doing well because fine movement isn't really possible with those tiny little joy sticks. I tend to have a lot more fun over on Switch when we get locked out off cross play for a time. But maybe they could at least adjust the system to match technically equivalent platforms more often with each other.
All that said, the match making is bad because it's a terrible system that puts shorter queues ahead of all other considerations. Currently, 1V4 in my region has 5 minute queues for Killer and near instant queues for Survivor. There's no way many of those trials are going to be reasonable or fair match ups. I also think you're more likely to encounter a range of skill on console because there are way more console gamers than there are PC ones (though I do think PC gamers are more likely to be more competitive in their mindsets).