Can cheaters realistically frame people?
Had a game recently where a cheater was remotely healing me instantly every time I got hit, and staying invisible so they'd never be seen, while putting all the suspicious actions on everyone else. They claimed innocence in the end game chat and said they reported "whoever was cheating". I know it was likely them because they were on Epic.
I know it's unlikely that they only look at video evidence and check the match logs, but I just wanted to double check since it's kind of spooky considering how much time and effort I've put into my account, and it probably looks incredibly suspicious if you'd just take the Killer's PoV.
Also, like, there's been a huge upsurge in cheaters in general lately, I hope they're planning on releasing a wave of fixes for certain exploits soon, because I've seen them do some crazy things that they couldn't do before.
Comments
I would like to say no, but since we really don't know how BHVR detects cheating, its theoretically possible.
It seems like it is all based on video evidence, if I had to guess. If they had the logs, they wouldn't need video evidence and could clearly see who was healing who.
I would hope they log things like actions taken, duration of action performed, health state transition events, stun/blind events, etc. Then again if they did they wouldn't need video evidence to catch cheaters. A situation like you're describing is kind of concerning - I don't know that they could tell the difference if someone other than the cheater recorded and reported you without realizing you're not the one causing it.
Best case I see is that they can tell if you're causing it based on what animations they see your character play at the time an observable event happens. I don't think they actually log much of anything when it comes to gameplay.
Given that you NEED video evidence if someone is say….flying around the map and instantly downing someone, I doubt it.
It's probably 100% likely that players can be framed and, unless you're recording all of your games, you're potentially out of luck.
Yes, it happened in the past where even a streamer was framed and got banned based on video evidence. If a cheater wants to frame you, they can.
The exact same thing happened to me a few days ago:
Out of the blue I was healed twice mid-chase.
After that the killer left while I was still trying to figure out what just happened, running perk interactions through my head.
On the end screen I checked all the perks… nothing explained it, so it must have been a cheat.
I really hope innocent players don’t get banned because of this; it wouldn’t be the first time in this game if you look at the past.
We need more server-authoritative validation of movement and game state, with client-side prediction and server reconciliation. Unreal Engine 5 provides the replication framework (and systems like GAS) to build this, but it’s not a toggle.
It requires engineering time and data-model changes.
In 2025, server-authoritative checks on core states are standard practice for more or less competitive multiplayer. DBD launched in 2016, so it’s mature enough to justify that investment.
My phrasing was not what I intended there - I agree, I don't think they log things with the fidelity needed to determine whether someone was cheating. You wouldn't need video evidence if you have a data point saying a killer downed someone in one corner of RPD and another one saying 4 seconds later they downed someone in the complete opposite corner.
I could also see them forgetting to turn that off or adjust it during events that give everyone effective teleports like the rift portals in this Halloween event so maybe it's a blessing and a curse that they don't have automated systems like that. :P
Yes, if they are remote healing you the killer or someone else can tape evidence and report you
That depends on how bhvr detects cheaters but there isnt much things they cant do which is quite sad, in other games cheaters have things like wallhacks, aim cheats or some healing bs but in DBD they have everything from teleports to infinite perks to ability to hook people or lock them in place and other bs which blows my mind and question is how many subtle cheater average player can face without even knowing that is mystery to me. They can even choose which players they will play against or with, ddos servers which they do to streamers like 7 princes or whats his name they can just do some many things its scary and we all know how bhvr is fast in countering or fixing this so its great most of cheaters are just subtle speeders or multiple perk users in my opinion.
So if you dont record your game you are kinda cooked if cheater or someone has video evidence cool.
I'd really hope it wouldn't be the case that it was video evidence only.
I did have a game (as killer) with one cheater, and 2 teammates who were queuing alongside them and it was a similar situation. Invisible cheater, instahealing teammates, infinite invisible Head On hitboxes etc.
Reported them all with video evidence and only got one ban in the report feedback, so it might be the case that it's not video evidence only.
I mean, it doesn't make sense to include video evidence if they have gamelogs.
If the logs show, "Survivor X is healing Survivor Y at 200000% speed while Survivor X is located in the corner of the map" or "Survivor X is running at 200% speed for the last two minutes" then you wouldn't need video evidence.
I doubt BHVR will ever actually tell us the process, but I imagine a huge portion of it is down to video evidence.
This happened to me about a week ago too!
One of the Survivors was remote healing me while I was in chase and I was locked in the animation and couldn’t do anything about it.
Thankfully the Killer clocked on to what was happening and realised it was another player cheating and healing everyone. But it’s very scary how easy it would be for someone like this to frame you. As much as I’d like to, I find it difficult to put my trust in BHVR to properly handle these things given how many allegations of false bans we’ve seen over the years.