New survivor is overpowered (too quiet)

Literally the quietest survivor in the game. Even more quiet than Ace. Can we equalize the sounds of all survivors please? wasn't that supposed to be done like 3 years ago?

Comments

  • I'm still very much waiting on the promised survivor sounds equalizing. I do not want to feel punished because my favorite survivor just happens to be louder than others.

  • I noticed that too, I can barely hear her.

  • On the flip side her falling screams are insanely loud... I accidently dropped off a small ledge to come for a pallet stun (didn't quite make it on to the stairs), and she screamed like she landed on a lego piece xD

    Bloody scared myself with it... Kaneki literally looked at me with equal measures hunger, fear and suprise xD

  • im almost 100% sure they will never do the survivor equalized sounds. Back in 2022 when they nerfed iron will to 75% everyone complained how they needed 100% Iron Will because their characters were just naturally too loud (ash, feng, Jonah, Jeff) and the devs said as compensation that they would equalize survivor sounds across the board but with 2 years straight of not a word from the devs about it they decided to just bring back 100% Iron Will. My guess is they gave up and either if u want your character quiet you’ll use Iron will and if u don’t then whatever.

  • My own problem with Orela is I can hear her voicelines when I am not playing as her, unlike every other voiced survivor. And she's making puns. Not even Nic Cage makes puns. Please fix this, I don't want to hear survivor voices from anyone besides myself.

  • @Reinami said:

    Literally the quietest survivor in the game. Even more quiet than Ace. Can we equalize the sounds of all survivors please? wasn't that supposed to be done like 3 years ago?

    i believe they said at some point that it is "harder than they expected", so, they gave up on it

  • @Reinami said:

    Literally the quietest survivor in the game. Even more quiet than Ace. Can we equalize the sounds of all survivors please? wasn't that supposed to be done like 3 years ago?

    We talking Ada quiet or almost Ace quiet?

  • @jokere98 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/444551/new-survivor-is-overpowered-too-quiet

    i believe they said at some point that it is "harder than they expected", so, they gave up on it

    How hard is it to throw the audio files in and equalize them. Scott Jund, who i often massively disagree with on the majority of his takes, even posted a video showing how easy it would be one time.

  • Use Stridor. I Doubt she be even a popular pick and be a another Jonah, Taurie and what not . Geez 3 quiet survivors over the 40+ loud ones how terrible and game breaking.

    Side note can we please then remove exhaust off iron will and let stridor, not counter it or off the record?

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3923592#Comment_3923592

    How hard is it to throw the audio files in and equalize them. Scott Jund, who i often massively disagree with on the majority of his takes, even posted a video showing how easy it would be one time.

    Aye, I actually work in test engineering, and the last few years have been working on audio engineering.

    Scott's video was based around the really quiet Were-Elk skin sounds that gave a significant advavlntage with how quieter some sounds were... and the point was if the were-elk can be fixed, why can't survivor audio be fixed too?

    Based on my understanding (as someone who isn't an audio engineer) I thought it might be more complex than Scott was alluding and cause potential issues with distortion... he even responded to me here in the forums, and after I debated him on this I realised I didn't know enough of the technical aspects to genuinely debate with confidence on what I was talking about, so I actually spoke to some of the professional audio engineers where I work about it on a lunch break.

    While some Distortion would occur, it would be so slight it would not be detectable by human ear, and would only be measurable by machine level comparison. With all the other far more invasive audio modification effects and techniques used in game engines and alike, this fix is pretty darned straight forward...

    So even when trying to give the benefit of the doubt and really giving it the best case to argue against it... I have had to concede I don't understand why this can't be fixed...

    This post was my eventual conclusion on it if interested...

    @UndeddJester said:

    Hi all!

    Probably pointless to dredge this up as likely no one other than me actually cares, but in the spirit of ensuring I'm not passing misinformation, I've continued developing my skills on my audio digital processing journey as part of my work, and do have a much better understanding of it than I did before... so I thought I would share for anyone interested.

    So regarding opening up a quiet audio file and increasing the gain of the audio signal, the simple up front answer is this is a perfectly valid approach to resolving the issue of quiet audio on most cases, and given the resolution of audio files, most audio files can be scaled quite substantially without any noticeable issues with distortion or artefacts.

    The amplitude of the signal goes between 1 and -1, and an audio signal in essense defines the position of the speaker at a particular point in time during playback, in order to produce a sound. When adding gain, a signal that has a particularly sharp peak can hit issues when the peak goes over the limit, which then requires normalising or clamping the signal. This is obviously where the most pronounced issues in audio processing occur.

    There is also gain sequencing, which refers to where in the audio pipeline gain is applied.

    Part of audio processing pipieline takes the audio input signal, applies param EQ, compression and a limiter to the signal, all of which I only have a high level understanding of, but to give the idea:

    • Parametric Equalising changes the volumes of different frequencies to balance the sound, effectively the balance of your treble and bass for the medium you're listening in.
    • Compression will reduce the dynamic range of the signal, reducing the difference between the loud and soft sounds to make the audio have a more consistent (and usually more pleasant to listen to) sound.
    • A limiter effectively caps the signal with the range, and basically ensures the signal fits within the desired range of the output speakers. You can make a softer limiter to smooth the cut off of the signal, or you can just hard stop a signal over the range. The compressor is a type of limiter, but is more of an artistic clamping of a sound, vs. the limiter which is more a technical make is work within this range change.

    Alot of this stuff is feel and experience rather than exact science; and listening to an audio engineer talk about this stuff can be easily summed up as "applying the voodoo".

    Regarding the debate in this thread, one thing to bear in mind is the order of operations. If you apply a gain before all these processing steps (the equivalent of applying our gain to the raw audio file in audacity), this changes the equaliser, compression and limiter behaviour away from what it was before. It is most likely fine still, but it will be different to what would be produced from the original signal applying these effects, and then applying the gain post processing.

    So the TLDR version, it is very likely that simply boosting the gain in audacity would produce a result that is certainly good enough for DBDs needs... and we're talking differences that would be quite unlikely to be human detectable, let alone noticably worse in quality.

    So as to why it hasn't been done, I honestly can't say... but its been interesting to learn about 😁🤘

    Have a good one!

  • If they increase her audio levels then they should also increase Ace's audio. Ace is literally basekit Iron Will since the beginning.