The Freddy Rework Impressions...
So, we recieved the new changes for Freddy, and they seem…. interesting, to say the least.
Developer Update | January 2025 - BHVR
So, my thoughts are this:
Merging pallets and snares and making them work like Clown bottles was expected. Nothing to really say here.
The Snare changes seem really weird. Like, sending out a DbD equivalent of a Roomba was not something I’d expect. I’ll have to play it first to see. Making them also affect awake survivors is… a choice.
I assume the pallet changes are added on top of what we have already, or at least hope so. Could be quite decent. Yet again, them affecting awake survivors is an odd choice.
Teleport changes are all around decent. Along with the new mechanics surrounding healing, it seems like the devs want Freddy to be an anti-heal killer. Could be a nice thing, but I doubt that survivors won’t start to apply the same treatment here as they did with Plague and Legion.
Alarm Clock changes are eh, but one thing that is missing significantly is the removal of waking up via failed skill checks. That should happen, asap.
The new Red Paint Brush seems nice, but removing the part where it disables waking up by falied skill checks is a disapointment.
Comments
The snares only make the awake survivor fall asleep faster. They only get hindered when asleep. Also the snares only do half the sleep timer. It's a middle ground between the point and click put survivor asleep after 7 seconds from the original Freddy power to Freddy having to hit awake survivors to put them asleep.
Pallets were kind of bad when only asleep survivors saw them since it became easier to remember which ones were fake.
The main reason his powers now work on awake survivors so that the killer player isn't in a situation where they have effectively no power in chase.
Looks like Snares are a skillshot now, like an Artist crow?
Sounds pretty awesome… Also his dream pallets are a bomb he can trigger now, so they aren't just a trick for survivors, but an actual proper trap/mine for path cut off:
The teleporting to injured asleep survivors though…. that's horrifying 😱😱😱😱
Not sure if it's just "healing survivors", or if it applies to being healed survivors as well…
It is an effective fix, but done in the wrong direction.
Honestly, I don't like it.
I’m going to love it if I’m reading everything right. I hope they didn’t take away cat block that would suck.
Understand your frustration man, I know how much you want old Freddy back, but in the same breathe, and keeping a positive attitude…
So while it isn't exactly as you envisioned, it does have flavours of his old kit, with some new toys as well! ^^
It feels so overly convuluted try teaching a new player this toolkit who is just casually getting into the game. It's like they are making toolkits for Killers going against other Killers these days.
God forbid I get something like Mirrored Illusion to stun for just a second if face checked and not hit or head on reveal my locker I am in to survivors in 8 yards radius, or invocations to just work without having 5 debuffs, or Human greed coming with more chests baseline, dominance working on a CD instead of just first cleanse.
Everything is either overdesigned or undercooked recently
Honestly, I don't think it does, except for RPB. These changes are a direct improvement to the basics of his post-rework power, they aren't connected to Freddy's original concept in any way.
His power is still focused on individual interactions instead of the macro gameplay that the original power had. Unless someone is activating Dream Pallets from across the map (which yes, it can happen and it is very annoying when it does happen), an asleep survivor will just go find an Alarm Clock and wake up. You can only see it if you have RPB, which is an Iri add-on for something he used to have basekit.
The teleport is the best among those changes, definitely. Although, not being able to cancel the teleport is just unnecessary.
As for the healing aspect, there is nothing to stop survivors from approaching it the same way they approach Plague and Legion: by not doing it. I don't think it can be compared to the old Dream World slowdown.
As for RPB, yes, that one is directly connected to his old power. But it is an Iri for something he used to have at basekit, and could still have it basekit if the rework had been done differently.
…Ah well, I guess I am just disappointed.
Yeah, the whole direction of this rework is odd at the very least.
Especially the new Snares.
It seems like they made it partially basekit so I assume that it will be adjusted to increase the KI range. I don't think it will get a new effect.