Chat Filter Censoring Words it Should Not

I've posted this many times, and I've either never received any response or my report is closed as "not a bug" without any comment or set to "pending" and never updated. I'm reporting this again because I feel as though this should have some sort of official statement by now. It has been three and a half years since this unasked for "feature" was implemented, and it still doesn't work acceptably.

Previous reports by me:

@captain_murphy said:

The joke of a chat filter still hasn't been addressed on any of the platforms.

It filters out player names, perk names, and even random other works inconsistently.

@captain_murphy said:

Was talking about how I hooked someone and accidentally killed him when I wasn't intending to kill anyone (four identical survivors).

The joke of a chat censor filtered out that phrase.

@captain_murphy said:

The chat filter that no one really asked for is still impeding discussion in post-game chat.

It filters out variations of the word "kill", like "killed" or "killing" or even "killer".

Fixing it is pretty easy. Just gotta get rid of the chat filter.

@captain_murphy said:

The useless, unwanted chat filter will inconsistently filter a word depending on who said it.

A survivor accused me of "being a try-hard". When I respoded "what did I do to try-hard", it censored try-hard in my response.

You guys have set the bar quite low, but somehow still fail to meet expectations.

@captain_murphy said:

Previous ticket was closed as "not a bug". That's disingenuous since killing is a major part of the game. We have killers. Dailies and tome challenges specifically tell us to kill people. Filtering the word "kill" is a bug and a miscalculation on the chat filter.

Address the chat filter please.

@captain_murphy said:

As a Detective Tapp who was just facecamped by the killer, i wasn't able to use any of the proper nouns to talk to my teammates after the match.

Seriously.

This is an M rated game.

Get rid of this stupid chat filter already.

Reports from other users on Reddit:

Censoring the phrase "ty" (6 months ago) -

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/1c42lwf/saw_a_post_this_morning_about_how_bad_the_chat/Error

Censoring the phrase "killing himself" (4 months ago, also in my original posts) -

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/1df87wa/when_the_chat_filters_acting_up_so_you_have_to_go/Error

Censoring the word "bardic" (12 days ago) -

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/1fzg740/weird_censoring_of_a_perk_name/Error

Censoring the word "bardic" again (1 day ago ) -https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/1g7u6qc/the_censoring_in_chat_is_actually_so_so_horrible/Error

Filtering the phrase "u2 bye" (6 months ago) -

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/1c38n1z/gotta_love_the_chat_filter_please_let_us_turn_it/Error

Inconsistently censoring the phrase "facecamp" / "face camp" (2 years ago, still an issue) -

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/rr4pho/ok_so_a_chat_filter_will_be_pretty_easy_to/Error

Over 100 comment discussion about the chat filter (6 months ago) -

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/1by1807/let_us_remove_chat_filter_already/Error

BHVR forums on the topic:

Allegedly "feedback is heard and it does get regularly updated to be less strict about certain terms" (three and a half years ago, one month after it being implemented) -

@Pilot said:

So I was in this match, right?

I was duo with some random I found in a previous match. We were both pretty good, so he added me and he slid into my DM's and joined me for my next upcoming matches.

He was clicking his flashlight to get the attention of the killer and off my back and some can interpret that as toxic. I do it sometimes as well, anything to avert the killer's attention for 1 second if that's all my teammate needs to get away.

Then in the endgame lobby, this Wraith told us and my friend to "go yeet ourselves off ceiling strangulation". It did not sound like this, but I'm doing it for the Forum's Sake. If this is offensive, mods will find a way to censor it or something as long as it's not taken out of context / misinterpreted....

I should mention the Wraith told us quite a few things that were censored before telling us that which was not censored.

So my questions are:

  • If someone says something offensive that should be reported, like racial slurs / to go yeet myself for example how do I know ? How do I know if it's worth reporting?
  • Does BHVR have some sort of system that automatically detects what's been censored and ads it to a list of that account's offenses? Like the amount of times he / she has said for example, racial slurs? And once it reaches a certain threshold, an automatic ban will be handed?

If it doesn't have such a system, I think one should be implemented and should only effect these kind of slurs and once it reaches a certain threshold, they will be accordingly dealt with.

Then again, we have words like "damn" "crap" being censored. We also have words like "######### on hook" that are also censored, which can be taken heavily out of context when someone refers to someone doing it on hook. "Oh player X, killed themselves on hook, that's why you lost"

Being able to see swears and other stuff should be allowed, but racial slurs and other nasty things should be censored. This is a legitimate statement to have a chat filter toggle, so we can identify the weight of the slurs someone has used. For example, I want to be able to see what I was called BAD WORD at the game, but I don't want to see if he called me a racial slur. We accomplish three things:

  • That will prevent me some seeing the atrocity he called me
  • That will help me identify the weight of the slur & I will submit a report on that account via ingame report system.
  • We can talk in our native language without being censored

Lastly, this is 4th reason. Not that strong of an argument.

  • Streamers can have the chat filter off and see normal swears but even with the filter off, other slurs will be censored. That way, their stream will be SAFE and they shouldn't need to worry and they can submit a report afterwards if they want to.

I hate to break it to you BHVR but streamers swear, A LOT, in this game. Fog Whisperers are no different. All streamers should be allowed to swear and vent in the endgame lobby if they absolutely need to. All people, not just streamers.

You can not censor chat like this when we have something like Pyramid's Head Mori for example. This is an M rated game.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/ZRS3CU70ZQ53/image.png

I'm here to remind you, what kind of game you have. Don't treat us like babies.

I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to have a chat filter toggle.

General comment on the censorship being too strict (8 days ago) -

@buggybug said:

End game chat filter makes no sense, for one this game is M rated. Also trickster literally swears like hell in the game itself lol. Can simply give a filter option to block bad words if some players do not want to see them.

I'm not asking for immediate change; I'm just asking that someone at least respond to the issue beyond some vague "we hear your feedback" or silently closing the ticket and moving on. I'd rather hear a "we threw this into the game and that's what you get" style response than crickets.

Comments