Some words about skimpy\revealing outfits for female characters in DBD:

To me - DBD doesn't seem like it's "gooner baiting" with any of the skins come up. (Have you seen upcoming skin for Sable presented in the live-stream? Shheeesssh!)

I think DBD's developers are in the perfect "golden middle" when it comes to "skimpy skins" and "not skimpy". It's really bad if your game have only revealing outfits for male\female characters + bad, buggy, unengaging and boring content. (Actual coomer-bait games).

I think DBD captivating it's player by unique asymmetric gameplay, cheap cash-shop and licensed characters instead of "gooner\coomer content".

I mean, that's how I got into DBD… Not because of summer skins for female survivors… (I'm not lying, I swear…)

Comments

  • @Chordyceps said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3811663#Comment_3811663

    Yeah, I know that the classic horror movies always have some sort of steamy stuff going on. I wasn't around when they first came out or anything, but those parts never really contributed anything to the experience for me, I more tolerated them than anything else. Honestly I'd say it only ever had a negative impact on the movie because it immediately makes watching the movie with someone else a significantly more akward experience.

    Maybe that's why I kinda appreciate the age of internet horror a lot. Yeah it has a lot of schlock and cringey overdone tropes, but at the very least those tropes are used by someone trying to make their story more scary instead of trying to pander to the more horny audience. Even if that audience continues to appear somehow.

    So yeah, I guess I'm of the opinion that while horny stuff is undeniably a common trope of classic horror, it's a trope I'm more than fine with leaving behind in the service of making horror scarrier.

    We aren't making DbD scarier, though. If anything, nearly every cosmetic lately is some overly-colorful, overly-detailed costume that chokes out any of the game's horror atmosphere that's still barely clinging on.

  • @AbsolutGrndZer0 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3811306#Comment_3811306

    I don't think they censored her per se, I think they just didn't completely remake her frame for the DBD Skin. Yes, in Hooked on You all the killers had larger breasts but that was the cartoon aesthetic of the game. One could say they censored Spirit too at that point, but again they didn't. They just didn't completely remake her frame to have larger breasts like the cartoon Hooked on You version.

    If you watch the livestream where the skins are mentioned or the concept art post they do actually say they completely rebuilt Huntress’s model from the ground up to make her more muscular and wanted to use that in the future. Which they didn’t do for Spirit. So they definitely decided not to give her a bigger chest. Her old cosmetics use her old model and every new cosmetic uses the new model. The weird black bra is definitely censoring and completely out of place. If anyone is going without a bra, it would be her.

  • I can't wait for the DBD beach party anime filler episode

  • I believe that Dead by Daylight could take more risks considering it's a mature game. There are other games that are much more explicit than Dead by Daylight. I remember playing a MOBA or something similar that had several male characters who were half-naked and very muscular. Have you seen the skins The First Descendant puts out? While it mostly features women, the game has a lot of revealing outfits, as well as a few shirtless males, although they are mostly in armor and suits.

    I think game developers, including those behind Dead by Daylight, should give more attention to the male characters especially their models. More variety is always good, and considering the Unreal Engine they use, they could make them look really good. It's time to step it up a bit.

  • @Boss said:

    I can't wait for the DBD beach party anime filler episode

    Boss?

    Hey, I haven't seen ya in ages! How are you?

  • @SuspiciousBrownie said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3811484#Comment_3811484

    If you watch the livestream where the skins are mentioned or the concept art post they do actually say they completely rebuilt Huntress’s model from the ground up to make her more muscular and wanted to use that in the future. Which they didn’t do for Spirit. So they definitely decided not to give her a bigger chest. Her old cosmetics use her old model and every new cosmetic uses the new model. The weird black bra is definitely censoring and completely out of place. If anyone is going without a bra, it would be her.

    Ah, you could be right. I'm ace so I guess it never really was something I paid attention to.

  • I actually like that DBD tries not to objectify its characters. I feel like there might be some kind of push-and-pull about that behind the scenes, but it always seems like the character designers are thinking really hard about coming up with lore and world-building and back stories when they introduce a new character, and it often (not always) seems like the cosmetics team are trying to respect that instead of just designing something sexual that has no meaning.

    I also think they make a genuine effort to create diverse characters that represent lots of different people in the player base and make them feel seen — and it would cheapen that to be like, "LOL, you can be seen all right — seen by 20-year-old guys who want to masturbate to you!"

  • Been alright, i sometimes pop up just to check.

    You?

  • @TheArbiter said:

    I mean I think DBD is pretty equal in its presentation of "hot" skins. Have you seen Felix's abs?

    those abs are underrated

  • That is good to know. I honestly thought you were done with DBD. It is good to see you again.

    I'm doing great! Still doing my Old Freddy campaign, of course. And I'm not as unhappy with the game as I used to be, I am having fun!

1 2 ›