A killer main plays survivor for a month+ and here's some thoughts.
So full stop. I am a killer main. I just like the gameplay more, it feel more rewarding than survivor imo. But because I personally ######### hate the 'Us vs Them' mentality this game generates I decided to give myself a challenge. While I'll still play killer, I want to play more survivor matches to try and get a feel of what survivor mains go through. Know thy enemy know thyself. Michael Jordan said that. Probably.
However I only had a few survivors prestige 1 so during the bloodmoon event I got a bunch more atleast prestige 1. So once I felt I had a good number of survivor perks unlocked for everyone it's time to hunker down. But through my several matches (Around 50+ if I had to guesstimate) here's what i've observed and learned and hopefully this can help build a bridge for survivor and killer mains.
- I honestly recommend giving the other side a try. I know we tend to get stuck in our ways but I honestly recommend killer mains giving survivor a shot from to time and ESPECIALLY recommend survivors to atleast try some killer matches here and there. What I did to help me was I gave myself a 'Play 4 Survivor games and you can have a killer game or two after'.
- Flashlight blinds are annoying af as killer and still are but i've learned it's actually quite hard to get a flashlight save. So now I can put some respect whenever a survivor gets a successful flash save on me.
- Most survivor perks are trash. This was a sentiment i've heard for awhile and… yeah no I gotta agree with this. Similar to how many killers feel like only a small handful of perks are actually usable, it seems to be the same case for survivors. I think it also comes down to how when it comes to killer perks you can atleast synergize with the killer's power but that seems way more limited when playing survivors.
- Solo Q is ######### ROUGH. I thought y'all were exaggerating on this but GOOD LORD you guys were right.
- Yes tunneling does suck, however as a killer main, there are times where it's the best option… just not at 5 gens gang.
- Seeing alot of Nea mains try to be Noob3's second coming has solidified how much I hate that ######### character even more xD.
- I get excited when I see lesser played killers, especially when it's killers I main myself. For example, I ######### love Unknown. He's my sweet baby boy. But I was surprised by how few Unknowns I went against. I think during this little month long experiment I think I faced maybe 2 Unknowns.
- I got reported because by a teammate because I didn't use gen rush perks. So… that was fun.
- I still wish survivors had some kind of other goal than just generators.
- I've gotten some good ideas on killer builds. Seriously, play some survivor matches and you'll be surprised when you see a killer you play use a build you never even thought of.
- I also got reported because I didn't bring a flash light when everyone else brought a flashlight (Seriously BHVR needs to do something about these false reports)
- Successfully looping a killer for two or three gens is surprisingly pretty fun (and a bit harder than it looks)
- I never understood the attachment some people have for survivors because imo they are basically all just cosmetic but… Gabriel is my sweet boy and he needs more cosmetics.
Probably some more thoughts but these are my thoughts so far as a killer main giving survivor a try.
Comments
If everyone tried to experience and understand the other side not only in the game but in life too about things that we are not aware, the world could be very different.
BHVR already filters out false reports. If someone has a history of heavily reporting with basically no evidence or for reasons that do not break the game's TOS, their reports will be automatically filtered from the rest.
Basically Serial Reporters have their reports mean nothing since they are effectively sent to the Shadow Realm.
Also the reason why reports in general take awhile for any action to be taken it a lot of manual reviewing happens. Very rarely does BHVR give out automated bans (outside of DC penalties).
Ah okay i didn't know that. I watched a video about some dude who would report people for the dumbest things and always wondered what happens with those reports.
Point 12 is important. Most killers have some sort of anti-loop power, and you need some good RNG. There's a lot that has to go right or a lot the killer has to do wrong for a 2 or 3 gen run. You might get a Coldwind where half the map is a harvester and two T/L walls. Tough to get a ton of value out of that.
I also play both sides a lot, starting as killer and now have a 40/60 split with killer at 60% in my overall 2100 hours. I'll go through your list with my own experience.
I'd say most of those I feel the same about other than flashlights. Ever since the buffer it feels impossible to miss a flashlight save if you're in position unless you are just that bad at them.
I think most of us already play both sides ? people are not lying both sides are annoying to play with valid complaints, maybe i have Dbd burnout but this game is infuriating.. only swfs have fun in this, solo surv and killer is rage inducing
You've inspired me! I am pretty much exclusively a solo q main, as I personally find it to the hardest way to play the game so it feels so satisfying when I do survive. I do play killer for all the challenges and stuff, but very casually. That being said, I love the idea of playing a few rounds with one role and then playing a few more rounds with another. I too hate the "us vs. them" and am always open to new perspectives. Thanks for the inspiration :)
Go for it man it was a fun little challenge for me.
Ah…. then I must be just ass at it then xD
The reason most survivor perks "suck" are because the meta ones are too strong. Why would you use Fast Track, Any Means Necessary, or Dark Theory, when you can instead use Unbreakable, DS, and Dead Hard? They don't even compare. Killer perks suck too, but much more equally across the board, to the point where Agitation is arguably a meta perk. I'd run it without Pain Res.
But no, I do advise playing both sides. It's how you get the fullest experience of the game, whether you're casual or competitive.
Appreciate you doing this little experiment and giving your observations to us. I too wish many players didn't just play one role only. Besides it making you better at both roles, it also increases empathy for the other side during trials, something we need more of imo.
After playing Chaos Shuffle, I can for certain say that it was a very refreshing game mode, to play on both sides, and how surprising it was to gain value from perks you never really think about using, on either side.
I can totally agree with your list. I play mostly survivor, but I do switch it up from time to time. (somewhere around a 70/30 split)
i've always been a both sides player so never experienced that sort of an enlightenment but playing both sides help a lot with sympathizing with others, appreciating their skill but especially learning mind games and how to run tiles against/as certain killers.
also sorry not sorry but the most biased nonsense feedback comes from "hardcore" one side players. screw long game hours, both sides players' opinions even with minimal gaming hours mean more to me.
I haven't played for a couple of years, so maybe it's different now. And I've mained both survivor and killer. I don't play in higher tiers, I average between 15-5 if that's still how ranks are determined.
I've said it before, but balancing a 4v1 game is incredibly difficult. And props to BHVR for surviving as long as they have. There's pros and cons to both survivor and killer. When I stopped playing it was because I felt something lacking from the core gameplay loop as well as the singular objective survivors and kills both have. It feels like there needs to be something more for both, that changes how we all play the game.