Is there a million dollar prize I don't know about?

These games are brutal. It's like every killer is trying out for the Olympics and they might die if they don't make the team.


People can make whatever claims they want about tunneling being ineffective but it's shutdown nearly every game of the last 20 or so I've played. This, when there hasn't even been a gen finished. Can a guy make some points before being steamrolled?


Seriously, is there something I don't know about going on?

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @woundcowboy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688635#Comment_3688635

    The threshold for high MMR is low. The majority of the playerbase is low because who knows how many people try out the game or play once or twice a week. I’d bet that the majority of people who play consistently are at high mmr. The stats that you mention also clearly show that a full SWF at high mmr has a much higher win rate than the 40% BHVR is aiming for.

    high mmr =/= top mmr.

    the official stats showed the winrate of the absolute top mmr players.

    You've been told this numerous times.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688669#Comment_3688669

    But they still lose over two people on average; meaning it's STILL Killer-sided

    48% is much higher than 40. It’s basically half and half. I don’t call that killer sided

  • I've had a couple of friends who I introduced to DBD recently stop playing completely after only a couple of weeks playing this game.

    Even with me there to help them there's FAAAAR too steep of a learning curve for new players, especially survivors. You're expected to learn all killer powers, how to counter them, all the killer perks and how to deal with them, all the survivor perks so you know what your teammates may be running, all the maps, all the tiles, items, bloodwebs, prestiging, rifts, tomes, events, and that's assuming all the games even go normally.

    Once you've played a few games and you're out of "New player MMR", you're thrown RIGHT against much better killers who you have no chance against, and loads of tunneling.

    It's a wonder anyone sticks with the game.

  • @woundcowboy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688690#Comment_3688690

    48% is much higher than 40. It’s basically half and half. I don’t call that killer sided

    If Survivors escaped 52% of the time, you'd be the first to proclaim how unfair that is and how Survivor-sided the game is

  • @Batusalen said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688638#Comment_3688638

    I'm going to guess you meant "twenty dollars", because otherwise it doesn't make sense.

    Either way, it is a multiplayer competitive game. Your personal definition of "fun" (winning games, your way) is not included in the price. Like I already said, you either like the game and like getting good at it so you don't lose most of the time, or you don't. If you don't then yes, probably you just wasted 20 dollars.

    There is nothing else you could tell them.

    I meant twenty minutes.

    Get a group together, queue up, sit in queue, probably get dodged a couple times, load in, look around, do a bit of a gen, get chased, go down and die. Wait for your friends to play out the game without you.

    Boom, twenty minutes gone for a horrible experience.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688721#Comment_3688721

    I meant twenty minutes.

    Get a group together, queue up, sit in queue, probably get dodged a couple times, load in, look around, do a bit of a gen, get chased, go down and die. Wait for your friends to play out the game without you.

    Boom, twenty minutes gone for a horrible experience.

    Well, that's even better: That argument can be used in any game with a long enough queue time where you can lose the match. Even F2P ones. You know why? Because it is a risk you take in every single competitive game the moment you click the "Join game" button.

    Do you know where you can get a guaranteed experience without having to worry about wasting any minute looking for a match that you may lose and / or having a bad time? Single player games. Maybe even PvE cooperative games, if you play with friends and don't get salty with them if you get wiped out.

    Just saying.

  • @MaTtRoSiTy said:

    Tunnelling is very effective and it is a compensation for low skill, something I see time and time again on NA servers.

    A 3v1 at 5 gens is pretty much unwinnable for survivors unless the last 3 are all very skilled and do not waste resources but once one gets hooked then only one can possibly be on a gen and the match progresses too slowly as pallets get used up and the map becomes a massive dead zone.

    I have said it before but I am OCE and tunnelling happens but I also play NA and the tunnelling on NA (LA) servers is out of control. Today I had one OCE killer hard tunnel in a game but pretty much every NA match was a hard tunnel at 5 gens.

    I don't know what is going on either, it is like the problem went supernova in the last week or so as while NA did seem to have more tunnelling than my region, it seems to have become an epidemic out of nowhere.

    Edit: NA server tunnelling is so bad I actually have to switch to my anti tunnelling build to play on there lol. That says it all to me

    If killer can tunnel someone out at 5 gens I say he is skilled as that would mean under 20s chases. Sure that would mean the killer would win with any tactics so it's not neccessary.

  • @Batusalen said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688884#Comment_3688884

    Well, that's even better: That argument can be used in any game with a long enough queue time where you can lose the match. Even F2P ones. You know why? Because it is a risk you take in every single competitive game the moment you click the "Join game" button.

    Do you know where you can get a guaranteed experience without having to worry about wasting any minute looking for a match that you may lose and / or having a bad time? Single player games. Maybe even PvE cooperative games, if you play with friends and don't get salty with them if you get wiped out.

    Just saying.

    Except DBD is rather different.

    It's not mechanically like other games, the tutorial doesn't really teach you much and if you lose, you aren't allowed to contribute at all anymore. No respawns, no ghost mode, nothing. You're dead, you have a bad experience and you get no BP.

    The game is extremely hard to pick up and is very unforgiving.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688799#Comment_3688799

    If Survivors escaped 52% of the time, you'd be the first to proclaim how unfair that is and how Survivor-sided the game is

    Way to shift the argument. Some things also matter more than numbers. We always hear about “improving the survivor experience “, followed by hand holding mechanics and perk changes. Killer gets essentially nothing. BHVR has said that killer should feel like an unstoppable force, and nothing could be further from the truth against a good survivor team. Loading into the game against a gen rush group doesn’t feel good. Loading into leary’s as huntress or deathslinger feels like garbage. Numbers don’t tell the whole story.

  • @woundcowboy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688882#Comment_3688882

    Way to shift the argument. Some things also matter more than numbers. We always hear about “improving the survivor experience “, followed by hand holding mechanics and perk changes. Killer gets essentially nothing. BHVR has said that killer should feel like an unstoppable force, and nothing could be further from the truth against a good survivor team. Loading into the game against a gen rush group doesn’t feel good. Loading into leary’s as huntress or deathslinger feels like garbage. Numbers don’t tell the whole story.

    Perhaps not.

    You weren't arguing that though. You have continued to maintain that the game is Survivor-sided despite massive amounts of evidence to the contrary.

    This leads me to believe it must be a personal experience. Are you losing the majority of your matches? Somehow, I doubt it.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688920#Comment_3688920

    Perhaps not.

    You weren't arguing that though. You have continued to maintain that the game is Survivor-sided despite massive amounts of evidence to the contrary.

    This leads me to believe it must be a personal experience. Are you losing the majority of your matches? Somehow, I doubt it.

    It’s survivor-sided because when both sides know what they are doing, killer is at a disadvantage. It doesn’t make sense to judge the game based on people who don’t know what they’re doing. I’ve already told you that I win most of my matches. I judge balance based around both sides at their max potential. Any experienced killer has had matches in which they load in and have the deck stacked against them from the beginning. You might as well be an NPC in those situations. If they want the game to be casual, that’s fine, but it should be applied to both sides. I’m all for sweating too, but they need to pick an approach and stick with it.

  • @Spare_Them_Mori_Me said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688699#Comment_3688699

    This is such a delightful discussion lol. Ty!

    Fortnite is pretty straight forward. Its a shooter. You expect to shoot and get shot.

    That's not entirely true. Yes, it is a shooter, but not all shooters are equal. A COD player would not be able to start playing Fortnite and be good at it right away. Yes, they would have a base, as every shooter it's the same deep down, but there would be a lot of other aspects that aren't. Specially Fortnite, as even if now it has a "No Building" mode, dominating the unique building aspect of it was kind of important in getting good at the game. I stopped playing for a long time precisely because I didn't like the building.

    But also, it is a Battle Royale, which also has its own implications like inventory management, knowing weapon spawn points, or where to land at the start depending on the way you want to play the match.

    Maybe comparing games is the wrong way. There isn't a game similar enough to Dbd to compare realistically imo. So I'll leave this point alone. Not enough here for me to get anything going. But I understand your point, just disagree.

    You think Dbd is the exact same? Any new player can come in and just learn it like one does with fortnite?

    I think that no new player could just come in to any game and just learn it. Like I said, if you play shooters often, you would have some aspects of Fortnite already dominated but you would still have to learn the specifics of it.

    But if you prefer, I can compare DbD to a genre that has more in common with: Fighting games. Playing a fighting game is not just about learning to play with your character, you also have to learn how the other characters work, how to defend from their attacks and when you are able to attack them safely. It is not something that you are going to dominate in a couple of days and you would need to keep playing, learning and getting better over time.

    You either like doing that, or after a week of losing non-stop because you don't understand how the game works you would quit. There is nothing wrong with it, but again, that's your fault, not the game.

    This is where we mostly diverge I think. If a player plays a game for a week, and decides they dont like it, that doesn't mean they were bad at it. Maybe they destroyed everything that came before them and they were bored.

    But we are speaking about Dbd specifically. There is no other game to compare. So I've decided I'll stay within the bounds of dbd when talking about this. You do not have to follow suit :)

    If a player starts dbd as survivor, they are MUCH much less likely to stay with Dbd than if they started with Killer. Hot take perhaps, but I've seen it a few times. Friends who are pvp aggressors usually start with killer and do pretty good after a few games.

    Lately the survivor starting group usually decides the game isn't fun after… oh… lets see, we played 3 games, tunneled twice. After a few more, I was asked "How do you fight this type of killer playstyle?" I said "The person who is getting targeted remains on hook as long as they can while the rest bust out gens. You'll be a martyr, but the team will win."

    They just sort of looked at me strange. That is not something someone needs to hear about a game 'being fun.' Its not fun. Its pretty miserable time and time again. So no, it's not that gamers in this scenario are lazy or need to 'get gud.' The game sucks for new people. I dont say this as my opinion only. I base it on experience with trying to get new players in and the reactions thereof.

    I know my friends and who likes what. Some of them are pretty hard into pvp, others aren't. I'm definitely not the best of the bunch lol. But we know bad games and what we'll put up with. Dbd is good at keeping the Entities claws hooked in ya despite the game's chasms of shortcomings. I dont fault players for not wanting to keep falling.

    Where we disagree is when a player plays a new game for a few days and decides its not fun.

    Well, you said it yourself. They decided the game was not fun for them and stopped playing even before having the chance to get good at it. Like I said, you either like learning and getting better at the game, or you don't. They didn't.

    Thats a lot to assume. You've a very black or white view and I've learned its usually never the case. We'll just disagree here lol.

    Forenite would show player pregression better than Dbd imo.

    In what sense? Just curious.

    I tried Fortnite a few times with friends, but shooters other than BLands is usually not very interesting to me. Just a personal thing. That aside, I played well, I get snipes, shootouts, etc. But I just wasn't feeling it like, say dbd. Just isn't my kind of game.

    Since I've played both, this is my take: Fortnite is mostly a point and click, learn one map, and in general a great moba style free for all. Its done pretty damn well.

    Dbdb is a 1v4, many many maps to learn, and character perks, powers, and addons. This should be plenty enough to distinguish the differences.

    If I improve on fortnite, I see my shooting, live/die ratios, and the 'in the moment juking' I suppose lol. These are the areas I felt I'd see improvement in as I played.

    In dbd, I see improvement if I begin remembering and identifying perks, remembering map layouts, learning builds, learning killers styles and finally learning about whats a win and a loss, since dbd seems to be a little strange with its win-cons.

    Just feels like dbd is a more in depth game when it comes to 'learning it'. There's more to learn. But maybe I just haven't played Fortnite enough lol.

    I don't feel this is anything but totally natural and understandable. Not players being lazy or.. whatever this would be called. Not even sure lol.

    Well, I can agree with you that competitive games are not for everybody, like I said. It's not that anyone is lazy, it's just that some people don't consider investing time in having to learn and get good at a game "entertaining".

    Your friends are an example of this. They didn't like it when you got online and had to play the game against people that play to win, but they play it in customs games for fun. So, I assume that what they didn't like was not the game but the competitive aspect of it and having to "grind" to win. And that's totally fine, but again, blaming the game because it is competitive in nature and people are going to play to win is not it.

    My friends are an example of this. They did not like how games played out. They were tunneled and, basically, didn't get a chance to 'get gud.' I feel this is something that splits players as killers and survivor mains also. You and other killers say they wont put in the time to get gud. We say the time isn't worth putting in because of the killer meta. "Get gud." Is just echoed after that. And its just something to say at this point without any real substance.

    I find it curious that this is literally the state of the game in NA lol. Its totally different depending on the region. But NA is now slathered with killers who will be able to tunnel, and will cry about various perks and survivor stuff because they are in a class of MMR that they shouldn't be. While I find this poetic justice, its still not healthy for the game. imo.

    Thanks for the talk! Not sure we'll gleam much more from this. :)

    Maybe comparing games is the wrong way. There isn't a game similar enough to Dbd to compare realistically imo.

    In that part I was addressing explicitly what you said about Fortnite.

    Talking in DbD terms, even if you can't directly compare it with another game mechanically speaking , you can with the process of what you need to get good at the game. In fact, I already did: Fighting games. Like I said, in a fighting game you need to not just know your character, but the rest of the roster to know how to counter them and use your attacks effectively against them.

    In DbD, even if you don't need to go as deep as in a fighting game (you don't need to now that Nemesis's whip charging animation takes 0.35 seconds and it has a hit window of 0.333 seconds to know how to dodge it, when in a fighting game knowing frame data is crucial) you still have to learn how the 35 killers + survivors + most used perks work and how to counter them to be able to play against them efficiently.

    And again, that isn't something that you are going to learn in a couple of days, not in a week or two. And that without taking into account other things also common in other genres, like learning map layouts or developing a good game sense to know what to do and when to do it.

    If a player plays a game for a week, and decides they dont like it, that doesn't mean they were bad at it.

    True, but we were talking about why new players would just say "this game is trash" for having a "bad experience" with the game, killed the first one in a match in this case, after playing a couple of days. Any other reason a person can have to stop playing a game after a while is irrelevant for this conversation.

    Like I said, I stopped playing Fortnite after playing it for months because I didn't like the building that much.

    That is not something someone needs to hear about a game 'being fun.' Its not fun.

    Of course it isn't, as it is not fun to get killed in Fortnite before you can even get a gun. It's not fun getting your ass kicked in a fighting game because you don't know which one of his attacks would grant you a +15 frame advantage on block that would allow you to punish with your 14 frame combo starter, and he knows everything about your character. It's not fun to get killed over and over again by the same camper in CoD because none of your teammates have thought of throwing grenades at him. It's not fun to spend hours making your perfect deck in MtG Arena and be destroyed by someone with a discard meta deck.

    It's not fun, but it is part of any competitive game. Specially when you just started learning it.

    Also, there is plenty of things you can do in a tunneling situation, specially in a SWF with voicecomms. Instead of saying "be our gen JC and just die for our sins", maybe you could have taught them how to coordinate a save and to body block the killer to force him to chase somebody else. You could have slotted Reassurance or a flashlight to save them when going down, I don't know.

    So no, it's not that gamers in this scenario are lazy or need to 'get gud.'

    Again, nobody said that anyone is lazy, but they definitely need to "git gud" before saying something like "this game is trash" and stop playing because they got tunneled in 2 games and "a few more".

    The game sucks for new people. […] I base it on experience with trying to get new players in and the reactions thereof

    Sorry to say, but no wonder if every time they face a hard situation with simple in game solutions, your advice for them is "just die".

    Thats a lot to assume.

    I don't think it is a "lot to assume", taking in count there are few competitive games where you would get any good in just a few days playing them. And like I said, we are talking about one specific reason for not liking a competitive multiplayer game after just playing for a while, not the whole spectrum of reasons of why someone may not like a game.

    Since I've played both, this is my take: Fortnite is mostly a point and click, learn one map, and in general a great moba style free for all

    Excuse me, what?…

    Are you thinking of League of Legends? Because it confuses me a lot that you mentioned multiple times that Fortnite is a "shooter" and that you played it, and now you are not just oversimplifying its gameplay to simply "point and click" but calling it a "MOBA"…

    Just feels like dbd is a more in depth game when it comes to 'learning it'. There's more to learn. But maybe I just haven't played Fortnite enough lol.

    True, but… what does that have to do with one or the other "showing their progression better"?

    My friends are an example of this. They did not like how games played out. They were tunneled and, basically, didn't get a chance to 'get gud.'

    Unless they got banned the moment a killer tunneled them, they had the chance to "git gud". They still have. They only need to start playing again, and start learning how it works. From a source that really teaches them how to deal with things in game apart from dying, preferably.

    You and other killers say they wont put in the time to get gud. We say the time isn't worth putting in because of the killer meta.

    Well, I started playing this game pre DH nerf, with every game having at least 3 of them. I could have said the same as you are saying right now, "is not worth putting time in getting good as survivors meta is busted". Instead, I kept playing and learned how to deal with that meta.

    Whatever the reason, you are admitting that at the end of the day, they didn't put in the time to get good.

    But NA is now slathered with killers who will be able to tunnel

    Like I said in the other post above, if they are able to tunnel so efficiently, taking into account all the mechanics they added to the game, it has more to do with survivors allowing it than not. There are plenty of ways to avoid making it easier for the killer to tunnel, and even escaping a "proximity camper" situation, specially if you are in a SWF that can coordinate through voice.

    Of course, if your first and only option to deal with it is "be a martyr", it can be a little tricky.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688900#Comment_3688900

    Except DBD is rather different.

    It's not mechanically like other games, the tutorial doesn't really teach you much and if you lose, you aren't allowed to contribute at all anymore. No respawns, no ghost mode, nothing. You're dead, you have a bad experience and you get no BP.

    The game is extremely hard to pick up and is very unforgiving.

    True… dare to explain how any of that contradicts anything I said?

  • @Spare_Them_Mori_Me said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688900#Comment_3688900

    I know where you can't. Dbd. Your turn.

    I wonder how it feels to defend making the game miserable for other players as a 'normal thing'. I just dont get it.

    I don't need my turn, I have already stated pretty clearly that where you can't have a guaranteed experience everytime you play is in any competitive game, including DbD. Sometimes it would be good, others would be bad. Don't like it? Play a single player game, those guarantee the same experience everytime you play them.

    And the problem here is that what makes "other players miserable" is just people playing to win in a PvP multiplayer game. What is not normal is complaining about it, and this community is the only one with enough entitled people to validate those claims.

  • @Spare_Them_Mori_Me said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688494#Comment_3688494

    This. Its why I cant keep friends playing. "Why would I keep playing this trash?" Is a direct quote. I'd say about 5-6 people this month alone tried the game for me and nope'd out. Most we're tunneled immediately and didn't get to play until we went customs.

    And they'll keep playing customs. They'll never touch live again.

    Same ive bought the game for 20 people now 2 have stayed but barley.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688484#Comment_3688484

    What would you say to someone who tells you that "making a mistake and hanging on the hook for the rest of the trial" is the game you payed for and that you should be enjoying yourself?

    If a person is always making mistakes and is always hanging on to the hook, then there is a problem with that person. Also, if he quits after just one or two games, he probably can't play any games. That person should enjoy movies and dramas, not games.

  • @Deathstroke said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3685007#Comment_3685007

    If killer can tunnel someone out at 5 gens I say he is skilled as that would mean under 20s chases. Sure that would mean the killer would win with any tactics so it's not neccessary.

    Of course it is not necessary but they also stack 3/4 gen perks on top of that

  • @Batusalen said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688910#Comment_3688910

    True… dare to explain how any of that contradicts anything I said?

    A game that withholds information, doesn't have much skill transfer from other games and has a "permanent" death system means the new player experience is particularly #########.

    Losing doesn't necessarily equate to a bad time in other games. It almost always does in DBD, especially when you don't know what's going on and feel like you're set-up to fail.

  • @xltechno said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688494#Comment_3688494

    If a person is always making mistakes and is always hanging on to the hook, then there is a problem with that person. Also, if he quits after just one or two games, he probably can't play any games. That person should enjoy movies and dramas, not games.

    The lack of empathy for new players is absolutely astounding.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3689030#Comment_3689030

    The lack of empathy for new players is absolutely astounding.

    If you invited them to the game, you should support them. If you're doing it alone, the impression that person receives is everything. Is it wrong? However, the fact that so many players remain here shows that assistance is not necessarily necessary.

    Various players upload streams to Youtube every day. Some of them are showing us how they have worked hard to grow from being beginners. Is this helpful?
    This is a game. If you're not trying to enjoy the game, but just think you should enjoy yourself because you paid for it, and if you don't, it's crap, the game won't welcome you.

    I don't want to be kind to them just because they're new. We will be kind to those who want to enjoy the game. Peoples who just selfishly tell you to let the game play aren't trying to enjoy the game, they just want they to feel good about themself. And I forget that there are players on the other side of the monitor. Such selfish people are not accepted even if they are new.

  • In 3x3 Basketball, they will practice everything from dribbling to shooting. Deepen they understanding of defense and offense. It is not necessarily a classroom lecture. Sometimes every learn it by experiencing it many times.
    “DBD is different, value beginners”
    When it comes to skateboarding, they first learn how to ride without getting injured, and then learn each technique one by one. They can't perform acrobatic techniques like a pro in one step. But no players there are complaining. It is the player's duty to improve in order to perform tricks, because they want to do it.
    “DBD is different. Be more empathetic to beginners.”

    So all I'm saying is:
    "DBD is different. Only DBD can get away with such selfishness."

  • Actually on second thought that's not a comment I want to put out there. I meant to make a light joke at one user's expense and then move on to give that user some indirect advice, but I realized the way I phrased it sounded harsher/ruder than I meant and I couldn't come up with a better phrasing for it, so I'm just gonna overwrite that comment with this one.

  • As some comments were continuing to get out of hand, getting aggressive or off-topic, the thread will be locked here. Please remember to keep comments civil and respectful.

1 2 ›