Weaker m1 killers being unfairly affected by the 8 regression limit

I have 3 videos below that's relevant to the discussion.

BHVR's intention for the 8 regression limit is to utilize a number where normal matches should not be affected by the 8 regression limit. It's supposed to essentially prevent killers who just camp 3 gens from the beginning of the match who generally refuse to actually advance the match. They won't chase, won't down, and won't hook unless its at the 3 gen - essentially trying to have the match last as long as possible. While some survivors can 3 gen themselves naturally in a match, this was more targeted at killers who sit at the 3 gens from the very beginning of the match. Accordingly to BHVR, normal matches should pretty much NEVER hit an 8 regression limit. In fact, the number of "rare" regression events is less than 8, but BHVR set it to 8 as a buffer.

However, BHVR had done a critical miscalculation on this concept. The expectation of a "normal" match is that the killer will be naturally flowing throughout the map and not having to focus in any particular area. This essentially means the expectation is that gen regression will be spread throughout the map, so no particular gens are being focused on for defense. The problem with this logic is that there is specifically two situations where the killer MUST focus defense on certain gens and CANNOT defend other gens.

  1. The weaker M1 killers have no ability to traverse the map in an efficient matter. These killers cannot afford to take the long roadtrips that some of the gens require. Some gens are so extremely far from each other in a far corner, that getting there comes at the cost of a LOT of lack of pressure and free repair times for all survivors. This is even worse when you consider that most survivors leave those far away gens to be the last ones to repair (smart move). Even if the killer took the 500 mile roadtrip to those far gens, those gens might not even be worked on. That's all time of a lack of killer presence and pressure. With the m1 weaker killers, since they cannot afford to take those long road trips to extremely far gens, they NATURALLY are strongly encouraged to stay more in the center of the map where gens are more readily accessible. With this being forced on the weak m1 killers with no map traversal, that "regression should be spread across all the gens" concept from BHVR just isn't realistic. Those m1 killers generally have a much smaller "area of operations" which means the gens being regressed is reduced to just 3 or 4 gens on average. Due to this, m1 killer matches with no map traversal abilities have a MUCH higher chance at hitting the 8 regression limit even if they are NOT camping. Even with chasing, downing, and advancing the killer objectives, the gens that get hit tend to be centralized gens (centralized meaning gens that are in the center of the map - for example the main building at the ski resort). This situation is even worse when survivors are literally all focused on center gens - even less of a reason to ever take a roadtrip to the gens on the edge of the map. If survivors are not touching edge gens, and all survivors are in the center of the map, the killer has no place to be BUT at the center. This essentially causes a situation where weak m1 killers are even WEAKER. At this point, not even regression perks can save them. If the killer is actually getting downs, things like surge will hit these gens and add up the 8 charges super fast.
  2. Many survivors are dedicating all of their focus on centeralized gens or otherwise are gens close to each other). When survivors are ONLY repairing centralized gens and are not repairing gens on the outer perimeter, then the killer has no reason to be at any gens OTHER than those centralized gen. That means once the killer regresses a center gen then goes off chasing a survivor to hook them, survivors rush in and immediately repair that gen, so once they get back and try to regress the gen again, once they chase another survivor, survivors fly in and begin repairs again. With no gens being repaired anywhere else on the map - and survivors are all in the center - the killer literally has zero reason to be anywhere BUT the center of the map. Other gens are are 0% and aren't being repaired, and survivors aren't anywhere else but in the center. This isn't the killer "camping a 3 gen", this is the killer being forced to remain present in the center. This means that every regression event is entirely forced to be on center gens. This causes the 8 regression limit to hit very fast - ESPECIALLY if a regression perk is brought such as surge or eruption. This is punishing killers for "3 gen camping" when the reality is that the survivors are forcing it on the killer - and if the killer isn't actually camping it and chasing a survivor away and downing them, they are going to obviously lose the gens, there. Those centralized gens get so much survivor attention, the 8 regression limit gets hit fast - the killer can only realistically commit a chase to one survivor ata time which means the other 3 survivors will recover from the 5% within mere seconds. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about a survivor chasing people away then going back to the gen, I'm talking about the killer commiting to a chase and downing a survivor. After they hook the survivor, the other survivors are all at the center, and no non-central gens are being worked on. The only place for the killer to be is right back to the center.

Again, to be clear, BHVR said that hitting the 8 regression limit is EXTREMELY rare and should ONLY affect killers who intend to sit and camp at a 3 gen from the beginning of the match. Those killers don't chase or hook but just park their butts at the gens and not move away from them. However, this simply isn't accurate with the two common scenarios above.

Here are some matches where the killer doesn't camp, leaves the gens often, commits to chases, and hooks - clearly doing the killer objective and advancing the match. However, in all three of these cases, the 8 regression limit was hit. One of the matches lead to a loss because of the inability to regress a key gen, and the other two ended with a win - but even a small mistake could have lead to a killer loss. Again, win or lose, the point is to show that the 8 regression limit should essentially never happen in normal matches isn't accurate, and it's actively making weak m1 killers even weaker.

PLEASE NOTE: the following videos isn't about what could have been done better - there is always a hindsight of 20 20 for both player teams of what could have been done better. Instead, this is to merely show that the 8 limit absolutely IS affecting matches where the killer isnt just guarding gens from the beginning of the match and refusing to comitt to chases - and it's negatively affecting the killers who are already historically the weakest in the game at mid to high mmr (m1 killers with no map traversal).

Some commentary on the issue while the limit is hit at the halfway point of the match. In this match, the survivors entirely focus on the gens in the center of the map and completely ignore gens on the far side of the map. This forced the match to be in a much smaller area. I'm specifically not camping the 3 gen, so the "3 gen" is actually lost early on prior to the 8 regression limit being hit. Despite there literally being no 3 gen situation (since I didn't camp it, it was broken early), the limit still hit.

https://youtu.be/gPnzkKKjQWs

Match result of a loss due to the inability to regress a key gen in the center

https://youtu.be/DGgmKCA9jfA

Another 8 regression hit on a centralized gen due to survivors focusing on the gen and disregarding others.

https://youtu.be/TEXgvWFcEXI

Clearly, the whole "this should never happen in normal matches" is incorrect and is negatively affecting already weak killers. If this is indeed supposed to only hurt 3 gen situations, then it should only come into affect if there's only 3 gens left. Survivors obviously can end up 3 genning themSELVES with this concept - but we already have that anyway right now and still get hit with limits. Either that, or perks that promote the killer to advance the objective by getting downs\hooks should NOT count towards the regression limit since if they are advancing the objective, they clearly aren't just sitting on the gens and never leaving. Things like surge\pop\pr and such shouldn't trigger an event since they all require the killer to actively down\hook survivors instead of just camping gens and never leaving.

One final thing, BHVR is making playing a "fair" killer incredibly difficult for m1 killers. I don't face camp, I try to avoid double hooking, I try to avoid tunneling, I don't just sit and camp at a 3 gen, and that's already making it difficult as-is when I could otherwise just tunnel and get a big leg up. With this, it's making an already frustrating experience (to play "fair" and deal with the toxic survivors that beat you over the head with it) even more frustrating, because now you're also getting entirely locked out of a game mechanic that was implemented to give killers a chance. Every patch, there is less room to play fair and killers are getting more and more compelled to tunnel due to how many restrictions are being applied to them. Now, there was always tunnelers, absolutely - but the killers who prefer to play in a more "fair" way are getting pushed into extinction. All we will have left at some point are the type of killers no one really wants to face. Being "nice" is quickly becoming not an option if you want a chance at winning the match. Instead of constantly punishing killers globally by restricting them more and more, how about giving legitimate incentives to play in a more fair manner? Give killers a positive reinforcement on not tunneling, for example. Reward a mori dynamically in the match for no one getting hooked twice in a row in quick succession, have strong perks that activate with a non tunnel condition, etc...

Thank you for coming to my DED Talk.

EDIT UPDATE:

Here it is from a survivor point of view. This knight was not running any regression perks, but I was able to get him to lose literally HALF of his allotted charges on a center gen within the first THREE minutes of the game. He was not camping the gens, either:

https://youtu.be/JsA8ApZOCTA


Comments

  • @mizark3 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3673339#Comment_3673339

    I'm sorry but you first asked to not comment on the play/mistakes made, so I held my tongue, but now you specifically said to watch and comment on the videos. You very often dropped chase/pressure opportunities to kick a gen for no reason. That contributed to the gen limit because you were trying to slow down the opponents win condition instead of advancing your own. Not only that, but you nearly never made use of your power to pre-stalk 2-3 players, or even approach from odd angles to get a free down. I can understand if you kicked a gen, stalked the person you pushed off, then they are forced to follow you and reveal, or stop the gen regression, but you would kick and follow instead (most often). The first match showcased multiple bodyblocks, and one of the times you got a free down because there was a pre-stalk, but that was far from as common as it should be happening.

    As far as the Knight video, that also showcases attempting to delay the game indefinitely instead of actually progress the win condition. Winning through attrition shouldn't be the primary means of Killer winning, but it most certainly should help (pallet destruction). The Knight needlessly sent a minion to kick the gen (which denied him a Nowhere to Hide usage), when he should have plopped the minion near it to keep people off and chase them (as the minion likely would have seen you through the wall, even if he didn't know you were there specifically). The Knight not running any regression perks shows how much of a foolish mistake it was to kick the gen over and over for no real benefit. Get a down and then use Pop or PR or Eruption proc or whatever, just don't try to stall the game.

    Gen regression is now a resource for Killer, just as Pallets are for Survivor. If you recklessly kick/pre-drop all your resources away, you will cause your side to lose. That seems better for the game at large. It isn't affecting normal matches, just the ones where people refuse to chase are being punished. This is an important time to learn the new mechanics and adapt to get away from stalling playstyles. I do think Surge and Eruption need to be adjusted, but I don't know how to fix Surge. For Eruption, I would just make the proc not count as a regression event (as you needed to kick the gen to set it up regardless, so it would still advance the max regression count).

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3673371#Comment_3673371

    See final paragraph in the above reply for Eruption/Surge, as well as the Pallet/Gen Regression comparison.

    I think the problem is from weaker Killer players getting too used to attrition wins against Survivors by running them out of pallets for free wins. Kicking the gen gives a Survivor 7.2m, or since a Killer moves .6m/s faster than Survivor, 12 free chase seconds at the cost of 5 gen seconds. That is a losing proposition unless they are cornered (and not actually getting that distance), or you are applying a perk to give you 7+ seconds of chase shortening or gen regression (eg. Nurse+Nowhere to Hide, or the gen is PGTW'd at 50%+).

    As far as hidden Survivors, Lethal+NTH solves that. Lethal lets Killer know how many people have Distortion, and how to plan their early game (excellent for Ghosty/Myers to plan a multi-stalk route). As far as gen speeds, if a chase takes 60s to down and hook, there were massive mistakes made by the Killer. The Killer with extended chases like that should record their matches, then watch the recording and think about different options they could have made, or if they destroyed a lot of pallets in that area, push future chases back into that deadzone. Kicking a 30% gen down to 25% only to regress to 22% after 12s(when the Killer ran 55m away) and the hidden Survivor gets on the gen is still the wrong move to take without relevant gen perks. Even there wasn't a Survivor, the Killer has to still lose that 12 chase seconds while 2 or 3 other Survivors are repairing gens for 36s of gen time. Getting to chase is more important that random gen delay.

    Tunneling has undergone a significant increase ever since they deleted all anti-tunnel perks from the game after patch 6.1. (Yes they didn't 'delete' them, but 3s DS is useless against the majority of Killers, and OTR doesn't work if the Killer tunnels off-hook.) It is an easy free win against soloq, and since 60% of matches include soloq, Killer wins more than loses by doing it. Just like instakicking gens, it is a bad habit formed from previous free wins, causing the Killer to believe that win was 'earned' instead of simply cheesed by abusing soloq bad habits.

    Personally, I would prefer instead of the Regression limit as X events(per gen), it was X%(per gen). I would set it at 100%, so you never would have to spend more than 3 minutes to repair a single gen (90s+90s).

    You cant be serious. Kicking a gen isn't trying to win by attrition. You can't ask killers to not kick gens. It's literally a game mechanic, and if killers don't kick them, those gens get done even faster than they already are. Gens fly.

  • @nikkixo87 said:

    I agree with EVERYTHING you said

    I've made my own posts about this as well. Not sure how to get the devs to listen. I am often getting gens blocked mid game. I have removed My favorite perks, surge and eruption , from all of my load outs because by the time I've downed 2 people I usually have generators blocked, leaving me with no options for late game Gen defense. But even without surge I am having gens blocked. Weak m1 Killers NEED Gen regression perks, but are punished for using them.i vastly prefer killer but I am playing less and less because it's just becoming too frustrating.

    Possible solutions;

    1. Raise regression limits

    2. Do not have regression that's tied to a perk count towards limit. Only count kicks

    3. Only start limiting regression events once a certain number of generators are completed.

    Really sad I'm losing interest in my favorite game due to this horribly unfair mechanic.

    You bring up a fair point. This mechanic alone has made me go from playing daily to playing once every week or two. It's that much kf and experience ruining situation.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3675613#Comment_3675613

    Are you really seeing it that much that this has made you stop playing? I guess I'm not kicking gens enough.

    Not necessarily kicking gens. I use surge a lot because as an m1 killer, I'm not allowed time to stop and kick gens.

  • @mizark3 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3675063#Comment_3675063

    Initial scream: I'm saying weak Killers (or rather weak Killer players) will lose if they play bad, such as wasting their regression resources. My name is "mizark3" on the forums here, not "NO ONE".

    P1: I don't think it kills non-optimal perks as much as it punishes foolish usage of perks. Both sides get punished for making mistakes, and that should never be framed as bad. If someone misplays, they shouldn't be rewarded. As far as tunneling, I already detailed that in the 3rd paragraph of my reply to you above. Short version is they killed anti-tunnel from 6.1, and it has slowly risen over time until they actually put anti-tunnel back in the game.

    P2: The limit of gen regression is a tool for skilled Survivors as the limit of pallets is a tool for skilled Killers. I think both sides having access to macro skill expression is good for the game. Just as Survivors can waste their pallets and give the Killer an advantage, if the Killer mindlessly kicks gens at 7% instead of chasing the Survivor on the gen, they should gift the Survivors an advantage. Bad plays should result in bad outcomes.

    P3: If the defense of one gen is so vital, the Killer should wisely use their regression on that gen, and more importantly chase the Survivors off of the gen and hook them. Before a Survivor is hooked, there are 3 Survivors on gens, and 1 in chase, or 300% gen efficiency. After a Survivor is hooked, there should be 1 on hook/being healed, 1 rescuing/healing, 1 in chase, and 1 on gens, or 100% gen efficiency. By actually putting pressure on Survivors, the Killer is able to apply 66% slowdown to gens. That is like full Thana+Pentimento+Gift of Pain all put together (if GoP and Thana weren't mutually exclusive). If the Killer decides to chase the person where the previous Survivor went down, then there likely aren't any pallets remaining, and the chase goes that much easier.

    P4: The threat of the Killer is reliant on their presence. If the Killer is present and aware, they will chase and down the Survivors going for specific high priority areas. Then when the next Survivor attempts that high value target, the Killer has a deadzone to work with, making it easier on subsequent chases. The Killer doesn't need mobility as much as they need presence of mind to plan their opponents moves and counter them in Macro efforts (consumable resources) as well as Micro efforts (individual chase decisions).

    P5: It is important to always work, because a Killer can merely scan the map and plan out their 4/5 gen instead of 3 gen, and play defense instead of offense. H-maps are notorious to have a 5 gen in about half of (my) matches, and a 4 gen in the remaining half of (my) matches. Now you confused me here. You mention Attrition Knight, which the video clearly showed the Killer engaging in that playstyle (only kicking when a Survivor isn't on hook providing pressure), but now you are against it? I'm sorry could you explain how he isn't playing Attrition Knight if he bothered to kick the same gen 4 times in 3 minutes without a single event being while someone was on hook? That looks like Attrition Knight to me.

    P6: I think this is a misdiagnosis of the problem as players crutching on tunneling (due to the lack of any counterplay) is the problem here. If someone can't crutch on something, they have to learn to adapt.

    P7: Why is PR and Pop being applied together being considered more fair than Surge? It would shift the issue yes, but it would make what I believe to be the fairer usage of perks to be what is impacted. No one enjoys doing a gen 4 times over, and both spam kicks and hard hitting regression both attack that same concept. Plus with the system as is, PR/Pop can be cheesed by repairing 4.75% before letting go to deny the Pop anyway. That I think is a greater issue to fix.

    P8: Mobility Killers are too powerful, we already knew this. Bringing all Killers in line to a similar power level would allow for an easier time negotiating these differences. I fully think S and D tier shouldn't exist, and S should be nerfed down to A or lower, and D buffed up to C or higher. Also throw in wildcard changes like the Billy buff to bring weaker Killers up to A tier, and equal type nerfs to bring A tier Killers down to C tier. I think the issue here is people are engaging in 3-gen regression styled strategies, but don't want to admit they are doing it. Surge is an exception to that, as it more accidentally does that than purposefully does.

    Conclusion: Going back to the Knight example, they had 0 reason to kick the gen 4 times in 3 minutes (without a Survivor on hook) unless they were engaged in that 3-gen playstyle. Like I detailed in my prior response (but it might have been in the section to the other poster), a gen kick gives the Survivor 12s extra in chase, or if no one is on hook, 36 extra gen seconds (minus 8 for the kick and passive regression) across the map. If those Killers stop kicking and start chasing, they would get much better results. This isn't affecting normal matches, this is affecting some of the lowest skill bracket matches, and people intentionally engaging in 3-gen and 3-gen adjacent actions.

    First of all, my bad my "no one" was not designating you sorry about the misunderstanding XD, I was literally saying that us (people that dislike how the current iteration of the Anti-3-gen system affects gameplay) are not having an issue with it purely because of the fact that Killers might lose because of it, we are having an issue with it because it affects normal gameplay for weaker/M1 Killers far more than the powerhouses even without the intent to create an endless stalemate.

    Presence and pressure is good and all, and it's true that if a Survivor is constantly on hook then gens slow down (unless the Survivors would rather complete 1-2 gens before going for a save, depending on perks/items it's easily doable depending on how the game is going) but weaker/M1 Killers can't apply that kind of map-wide pressure reliably, especially if the Survivors are good. If they turn the game into a 3v1 early then sure though.

    Again, if the regression limit was meant as a tool then the devs would have marketed it as such. However it was specifically said that it was made to stop endless 3-gen stalemates without affecting normal gameplay. The mechanic as it is now shifts the meta, playstyles, and makes certain non-regression perks just as affected by the mechanic as regression perks, so it is doing way more than it should.

    In the video, the Knight kicks the gen because it's around 50% and (from his POV) it's somehow getting out-repaired every time he comes back. What Killer in their right mind would go to the other side of the map if there's not only a vital gen at dangerously high progress but they also know there's a Survivor nearby that keeps stopping the gen from regressing & making a bit of progress everytime they turn around and will finish it given the chance? What's supposed to be the play here? The Knight had Nowhere To Hide (which offers no slowdown if a chase can't be started thanks to its effect) but Distortion voided it which meant he was still between a rock and a hard place. He wasn't playing Attrition Knight (somebody was hooked during that whole debacle, also the video was far too short to be able to say that was the situation) he was defending a central gen, arguably the most important gen in R.P.D. which shouldn't be punished further. The Killer's "punishement" is already his lack of map pressure due to being stuck defending the middle gen. Why should Killers be forced to concede a gen if Survivors are persistent and good enough? If it's in endgame then sure (games shouldn't be endless anyway) but it shouldn't be a thing to keep in mind at all times.

    How does a kick limit not indirectly nerfs non-regression kick perks greatly? They might give value but offer no extra slowdown on their own, if the effect fails to offer value (NTW doesn't reveal anyone, Trail of Torment gets canceled before a surprise attack can be used, the Killer fails to capitalize on Dragon's Grip effect etc.) then it's a wasted kick out of 8.

    I don't care about endless games being gone, it's a good and healthy thing, all we're saying is that it should only be a concern lategame in order to not affect normal gameplay.

    Side-note: the exploit that Survivors could use to forever deny kicks was patched a while ago, now the 5% needed to stop regression is a fixed value that doesn't reset if Survivors let go (this was due to people being able to have near-infinite Wiretap and deny Pop, I think Ayrun made a video on it).

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3674871#Comment_3674871

    You cant be serious. Kicking a gen isn't trying to win by attrition. You can't ask killers to not kick gens. It's literally a game mechanic, and if killers don't kick them, those gens get done even faster than they already are. Gens fly.

    Kicking a gen isn't trying to win by attrition, but kicking a gen while an unhooked and chaseable Survivor's location is known most certainly is. Kicking a gen when there is no perk value to be gained is trying to win by attrition. Kicking a gen while no one is on hook is trying to win by attrition. Its fine to win through attrition, but it should be done through offense (pallets) not defense (meaningless gen kicks).

    What I am saying is taking the mathematically inferior option shouldn't help the player, and should harm them. Attempting hook Kobes is also an option, and I'm not asking Survivors to not attempt Kobes, but I do think Survivors attempting Kobes should lose because they forced themselves into 2nd stage. It is the same foolish behavior done by Survivors (Kobes) and Killers (wasted kicks), and when that side does it, they should lose or at least hurt their chances of winning.

    @Skillfulstone said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3675171#Comment_3675171

    First of all, my bad my "no one" was not designating you sorry about the misunderstanding XD, I was literally saying that us (people that dislike how the current iteration of the Anti-3-gen system affects gameplay) are not having an issue with it purely because of the fact that Killers might lose because of it, we are having an issue with it because it affects normal gameplay for weaker/M1 Killers far more than the powerhouses even without the intent to create an endless stalemate.

    Presence and pressure is good and all, and it's true that if a Survivor is constantly on hook then gens slow down (unless the Survivors would rather complete 1-2 gens before going for a save, depending on perks/items it's easily doable depending on how the game is going) but weaker/M1 Killers can't apply that kind of map-wide pressure reliably, especially if the Survivors are good. If they turn the game into a 3v1 early then sure though.

    Again, if the regression limit was meant as a tool then the devs would have marketed it as such. However it was specifically said that it was made to stop endless 3-gen stalemates without affecting normal gameplay. The mechanic as it is now shifts the meta, playstyles, and makes certain non-regression perks just as affected by the mechanic as regression perks, so it is doing way more than it should.

    In the video, the Knight kicks the gen because it's around 50% and (from his POV) it's somehow getting out-repaired every time he comes back. What Killer in their right mind would go to the other side of the map if there's not only a vital gen at dangerously high progress but they also know there's a Survivor nearby that keeps stopping the gen from regressing & making a bit of progress everytime they turn around and will finish it given the chance? What's supposed to be the play here? The Knight had Nowhere To Hide (which offers no slowdown if a chase can't be started thanks to its effect) but Distortion voided it which meant he was still between a rock and a hard place. He wasn't playing Attrition Knight (somebody was hooked during that whole debacle, also the video was far too short to be able to say that was the situation) he was defending a central gen, arguably the most important gen in R.P.D. which shouldn't be punished further. The Killer's "punishement" is already his lack of map pressure due to being stuck defending the middle gen. Why should Killers be forced to concede a gen if Survivors are persistent and good enough? If it's in endgame then sure (games shouldn't be endless anyway) but it shouldn't be a thing to keep in mind at all times.

    How does a kick limit not indirectly nerfs non-regression kick perks greatly? They might give value but offer no extra slowdown on their own, if the effect fails to offer value (NTW doesn't reveal anyone, Trail of Torment gets canceled before a surprise attack can be used, the Killer fails to capitalize on Dragon's Grip effect etc.) then it's a wasted kick out of 8.

    I don't care about endless games being gone, it's a good and healthy thing, all we're saying is that it should only be a concern lategame in order to not affect normal gameplay.

    Side-note: the exploit that Survivors could use to forever deny kicks was patched a while ago, now the 5% needed to stop regression is a fixed value that doesn't reset if Survivors let go (this was due to people being able to have near-infinite Wiretap and deny Pop, I think Ayrun made a video on it).

    P1: Yeah no prob, I was being a bit jokey to diffuse the tension.

    P2: While normally I am not a fan of tunneling, I am a fan of meeting sweat with sweat. If the Survivors 'genb4fren', or prioritize gens before altruism (heals and unhooks), then I very much think Killers should sweat back and tunnel the person the Survivors killed by not unhooking in 1st stage. I only don't like how the victim of the countersweat isn't the perpetrator of the sweat, but you gotta do what you gotta do. As far as 'reliably applying pressure' I don't quite agree with, but that depends on the matchmaking more than anything. If I run into the clock squad when I bring the build for casual SWF or serious soloq, I'm not gunna have a good time. Since the game keeps pushing people to sweat due to MMR, that is what I blame for M1/weaker Killers from not being able to enjoy the game. I had far more enjoyment 2-hook tangoing at red ranks (back during rank based matchmaking), than I ever did after MMR.

    P3: I don't necessarily think the devs thought of the regression limit as a tool, but I do think the players should. It helps the player prioritize better decision making IMO. That's why I keep making the gen kick/pallet comparison, as both are the respective sides' limited resource, and the other side can weaponize that limit against them. A foolish Surv will predrop 12 pallets and screw over their team, just as a foolish Killer can kick every non-regressing gen. The main difference is the Killer is responsible for the mistake with wasted regression, or only 25% of the Survivor team is with wasted pallets.

    P4: In the Knight example the 1st event isn't shown, but likely below half since no hooks for strong regression was used. The 2nd event is at about 33% with no hooks. The 3rd is about 45%, and still under 50%. This 3rd event is the only one I can defend, as someone was on hook, and it was high enough to justify a minion kick. Personally I think he should have patrolled the guy out in the hall, as it would provide the same gen prevention, without contributing to his regression limit. Plus he wasted the Assassin on that, as opposed to the Jailor or big boy. The 4th is in pursuit of the Survivors (and none on hook), and like I said before, the gen kick gave the Survs 12s of extra chase time because of that. The Knight is too busy playing defense when he should be playing offense. Like I said in the above reply's 2nd paragraph, he is punished for making the mathematically inferior play. Just like a Survivor would for attempting Kobes. Should a Survivor just get 3 Kobes without sacrificing 20s of hook time per attempt? Its the same overarching concept, of taking a bad option, and being punished for it. Also the key thing here is that the Killer is attempting to pre-defend the 3 gen by kicking 1 gen that much. That is attrition Knight. That is the system working as intended.

    P5: I don't doubt the regression limit nerfs gen kick perks indirectly, and for Eruption I could be persuaded for the proc to not count towards the limit as the kick already did it. The issue is that it forces the Killer to use their brain in actually assessing the value of what they stand to gain. I love Trail of Torment on Myers, because no one expects the T3 without a TR. But if I don't know where the Survivors are, then I shouldn't waste a kick in the first place, with or without the regression limit in place. Because of the regression limit, smart Killers will learn quicker and not take the inferior option as much.

    P6: That's the thing, I don't think the argument stands that it does affect normal gameplay. I haven't had it happen to me once as Killer, but I play a more offensive and heavy stalk styled Ghosty. I haven't played my favorite skillcheck Freddy build in a while, but I'm sure that would actually be impacted by the change. Same with slowdown on my Clown (only Pop and/or PR), Myers (only Thana/Penti/Plaything), Legion (Thana and/or PR), and other M1 Killers I like playing. I refuse to kick if I don't have a perk or a Surv on hook, and that means I am safe. I think it is merely a matter of unlearning old unhelpful behaviors.

    Side-note: Ahh, I never tried it myself and didn't see it in the patch notes, but I didn't look too deep either.

  • @mizark3 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3675609#Comment_3675609

    Kicking a gen isn't trying to win by attrition, but kicking a gen while an unhooked and chaseable Survivor's location is known most certainly is. Kicking a gen when there is no perk value to be gained is trying to win by attrition. Kicking a gen while no one is on hook is trying to win by attrition. Its fine to win through attrition, but it should be done through offense (pallets) not defense (meaningless gen kicks).

    What I am saying is taking the mathematically inferior option shouldn't help the player, and should harm them. Attempting hook Kobes is also an option, and I'm not asking Survivors to not attempt Kobes, but I do think Survivors attempting Kobes should lose because they forced themselves into 2nd stage. It is the same foolish behavior done by Survivors (Kobes) and Killers (wasted kicks), and when that side does it, they should lose or at least hurt their chances of winning.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3675755#Comment_3675755

    P1: Yeah no prob, I was being a bit jokey to diffuse the tension.

    P2: While normally I am not a fan of tunneling, I am a fan of meeting sweat with sweat. If the Survivors 'genb4fren', or prioritize gens before altruism (heals and unhooks), then I very much think Killers should sweat back and tunnel the person the Survivors killed by not unhooking in 1st stage. I only don't like how the victim of the countersweat isn't the perpetrator of the sweat, but you gotta do what you gotta do. As far as 'reliably applying pressure' I don't quite agree with, but that depends on the matchmaking more than anything. If I run into the clock squad when I bring the build for casual SWF or serious soloq, I'm not gunna have a good time. Since the game keeps pushing people to sweat due to MMR, that is what I blame for M1/weaker Killers from not being able to enjoy the game. I had far more enjoyment 2-hook tangoing at red ranks (back during rank based matchmaking), than I ever did after MMR.

    P3: I don't necessarily think the devs thought of the regression limit as a tool, but I do think the players should. It helps the player prioritize better decision making IMO. That's why I keep making the gen kick/pallet comparison, as both are the respective sides' limited resource, and the other side can weaponize that limit against them. A foolish Surv will predrop 12 pallets and screw over their team, just as a foolish Killer can kick every non-regressing gen. The main difference is the Killer is responsible for the mistake with wasted regression, or only 25% of the Survivor team is with wasted pallets.

    P4: In the Knight example the 1st event isn't shown, but likely below half since no hooks for strong regression was used. The 2nd event is at about 33% with no hooks. The 3rd is about 45%, and still under 50%. This 3rd event is the only one I can defend, as someone was on hook, and it was high enough to justify a minion kick. Personally I think he should have patrolled the guy out in the hall, as it would provide the same gen prevention, without contributing to his regression limit. Plus he wasted the Assassin on that, as opposed to the Jailor or big boy. The 4th is in pursuit of the Survivors (and none on hook), and like I said before, the gen kick gave the Survs 12s of extra chase time because of that. The Knight is too busy playing defense when he should be playing offense. Like I said in the above reply's 2nd paragraph, he is punished for making the mathematically inferior play. Just like a Survivor would for attempting Kobes. Should a Survivor just get 3 Kobes without sacrificing 20s of hook time per attempt? Its the same overarching concept, of taking a bad option, and being punished for it. Also the key thing here is that the Killer is attempting to pre-defend the 3 gen by kicking 1 gen that much. That is attrition Knight. That is the system working as intended.

    P5: I don't doubt the regression limit nerfs gen kick perks indirectly, and for Eruption I could be persuaded for the proc to not count towards the limit as the kick already did it. The issue is that it forces the Killer to use their brain in actually assessing the value of what they stand to gain. I love Trail of Torment on Myers, because no one expects the T3 without a TR. But if I don't know where the Survivors are, then I shouldn't waste a kick in the first place, with or without the regression limit in place. Because of the regression limit, smart Killers will learn quicker and not take the inferior option as much.

    P6: That's the thing, I don't think the argument stands that it does affect normal gameplay. I haven't had it happen to me once as Killer, but I play a more offensive and heavy stalk styled Ghosty. I haven't played my favorite skillcheck Freddy build in a while, but I'm sure that would actually be impacted by the change. Same with slowdown on my Clown (only Pop and/or PR), Myers (only Thana/Penti/Plaything), Legion (Thana and/or PR), and other M1 Killers I like playing. I refuse to kick if I don't have a perk or a Surv on hook, and that means I am safe. I think it is merely a matter of unlearning old unhelpful behaviors.

    Side-note: Ahh, I never tried it myself and didn't see it in the patch notes, but I didn't look too deep either.

    Your definition of normal gameplay is skewed though. You're saying kicking gens without perks is abnormal. That pretty much makes your definition of what is normal absolutely voided out. It's literally a game mechanic for any killer to participate in. That's like saying kicking pallets is abnormal when there are survivors to chase - it's a key basekit mechanic of the game, and they even bumped it to 5% to try (but failed) to make it more relevant for killers to use.

  • I don't think this is a problem, and I'll explain why. First, we'll look at two true statements I'm using as the basis for my claim- these are not the claim itself, they're just the baseline.

    1: Your job as killer is not to defend gens. They are not your objective, and while stalling out gens is a tool you can use, it is not your bread-and-butter for slowing down generators either- that would be spreading pressure and dragging multiple survivors off generators at once.

    2: This system exists to combat excessive gen stall. That became necessary because of 3-gen matches that stretched out for an hour due to killers not committing to chases, etcetera, but the mechanism that those matches utilised was gen stall. The system, by design, exists to limit how much any gen can be stalled.

    So, those two statements lead to my conclusion:

    If you're noticing that you're getting gens blocked in the course of your regular play, you should take that as an indication that you're focusing too much on attacking generators. Stop kicking gens randomly between chases, definitely stop ignoring nearby survivors in favour of kicking generators, and start honing your killer fundamentals to slow down the game without even needing to interact with generators at all for 90% of any given match.

    As an aside, I don't think it matters if there's a game where all the survivors are congregating at one generator and you block it with Surge, because that's eight downs and presumably eight hooks gained before that generator is actually finished. Maybe this is just me, but I genuinely do not care if the only false positives in this system kick in when I've already won a match, that's a pretty benign ""flaw"" to exist in a system like this.

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3676338#Comment_3676338

    Your definition of normal gameplay is skewed though. You're saying kicking gens without perks is abnormal. That pretty much makes your definition of what is normal absolutely voided out. It's literally a game mechanic for any killer to participate in. That's like saying kicking pallets is abnormal when there are survivors to chase - it's a key basekit mechanic of the game, and they even bumped it to 5% to try (but failed) to make it more relevant for killers to use.

    I'm not saying kicking gens without perks is abnormal, I'm saying it is foolish (without someone on hook). I shouldn't expect Kobes to save every Survivor's chance of victory, just as reckless gen kicks shouldn't save every Killer's chance of victory. Survivors as a team can lose because a singular teammate is weaker than the Killer. When the Killer is the weakest player in the match, it should track that they should lose from their mistakes. Making poor decisions consistently, makes someone a weaker player, and they should continue if they are having fun, or stop making those mistakes if they wish to win/improve.

    It would be more accurate to describe my position on normal gameplay as: "the Killer should always seek to provide pressure on the Survivors", and kicking gens (without a hooked Surv or perk value) to give a visible Survivor 12 extra seconds in chase is never providing that pressure. Some Killers operate on investments, so what may seem to not be short term pressure may still be long term pressure (hit and run, Ghosty 99's, gathering their power's resource, etc.). (Looking back at the quote on the patch notes, they said "This can lead to very long games and frustration." [bold mine], so the part you take issue with was likely to target [Survivor] frustration as well.)

    I never argued against kicking pallets, and if anything, my statements have been in favor of it as a means to whittle down the Survivor's resources for victory. At the same time, if I am kicking an edge map pallet from the outside, I am making a mistake as Killer. I should instead kick from the inside of the map, to lessen the distance the Survivor gets, as well as limit their options.

    As far as the 2.5->5%, I think they did that to encourage more healthy usage of the now limited resource of gen kicks. As I see it, they probably felt 16 2.5% gen kicks max on a single gen was happening, so they halved the number and doubled the regression to maintain parity. This feels like BHVR is actually trying to train Killers to be more effective at Killing, and getting spat in the face for it.

  • @mizark3 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3676356#Comment_3676356

    I'm not saying kicking gens without perks is abnormal, I'm saying it is foolish (without someone on hook). I shouldn't expect Kobes to save every Survivor's chance of victory, just as reckless gen kicks shouldn't save every Killer's chance of victory. Survivors as a team can lose because a singular teammate is weaker than the Killer. When the Killer is the weakest player in the match, it should track that they should lose from their mistakes. Making poor decisions consistently, makes someone a weaker player, and they should continue if they are having fun, or stop making those mistakes if they wish to win/improve.

    It would be more accurate to describe my position on normal gameplay as: "the Killer should always seek to provide pressure on the Survivors", and kicking gens (without a hooked Surv or perk value) to give a visible Survivor 12 extra seconds in chase is never providing that pressure. Some Killers operate on investments, so what may seem to not be short term pressure may still be long term pressure (hit and run, Ghosty 99's, gathering their power's resource, etc.). (Looking back at the quote on the patch notes, they said "This can lead to very long games and frustration." [bold mine], so the part you take issue with was likely to target [Survivor] frustration as well.)

    I never argued against kicking pallets, and if anything, my statements have been in favor of it as a means to whittle down the Survivor's resources for victory. At the same time, if I am kicking an edge map pallet from the outside, I am making a mistake as Killer. I should instead kick from the inside of the map, to lessen the distance the Survivor gets, as well as limit their options.

    As far as the 2.5->5%, I think they did that to encourage more healthy usage of the now limited resource of gen kicks. As I see it, they probably felt 16 2.5% gen kicks max on a single gen was happening, so they halved the number and doubled the regression to maintain parity. This feels like BHVR is actually trying to train Killers to be more effective at Killing, and getting spat in the face for it.

    Ah, so you're saying peek optimal gameplay with no foolishness or mistakes is normal gameplay. Okay, well, I'm going to have to disagree with you here, but I suppose that's one point of view. For me, normal gameplay absolutely includes sometimes doing suboptimal plays, for example your situation where you said kicking a gen when someone isn't on hook is foolish. I still say that's normal gameplay because BHVR specifically said that camping 3 gens from the beginning of the match without progressing the objective with the intent on dragging out the match as long as possible is what is NOT normal gameplay. That means normal gameplay would be trying to play with the intent on advancing the objective (without cheating, of course).

    If playing perfectly with no mistakes or foolishness is your "normal gameplay", you should start streaming. You'd be famous overnight.

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3676517#Comment_3676517

    Ah, so you're saying peek optimal gameplay with no foolishness or mistakes is normal gameplay. Okay, well, I'm going to have to disagree with you here, but I suppose that's one point of view. For me, normal gameplay absolutely includes sometimes doing suboptimal plays, for example your situation where you said kicking a gen when someone isn't on hook is foolish. I still say that's normal gameplay because BHVR specifically said that camping 3 gens from the beginning of the match without progressing the objective with the intent on dragging out the match as long as possible is what is NOT normal gameplay. That means normal gameplay would be trying to play with the intent on advancing the objective (without cheating, of course).

    If playing perfectly with no mistakes or foolishness is your "normal gameplay", you should start streaming. You'd be famous overnight.

    Do you not understand that there is nuance here? There is a difference between "make no mistakes" and "mistakes should be punishable". If you want to claim that your opponents are all inhuman machines that make no mistakes, then yeah I guess your point would be valid. At the same time shouldn't you be happy you got to the highest MMR and proved yourself to be in the top echelon? I think everyone is human, capable of error, and errors can be capitalized on by an intelligent opposition. That means you only need to make fewer mistakes than your enemies, kinda like the "I don't need to outrun the bear, I only need to outrun you" joke. That's how I won most of my matches, by forcing a critical decision, and my enemies choosing... poorly. I never claimed I didn't lose, just that my losses as Killer were near strictly under my control. If I really wanted to improve I would record and watch over every loss, but I don't care that much.

    You end your paragraph agreeing with me strangely enough. "That means normal gameplay would be trying to play with the intent on advancing the objective (without cheating, of course)." Killing Survivors is the Killer's objective, doing gens is the Survivor's. In most scenarios, if a Killer ever prioritizes a basic gen kick over a known chase, they aren't advancing their goal, they are trying to slow down the Survivor's. Gen kicks are almost always worse than chasing, so I always encourage pressure/chase (even if it is setup Pressure like Blood Orb collection or 99'd stalks). Its fine to make mistakes, as people learn more from their failures than their successes, but bashing my head on a wall and refusing to use a more effective tool like a Sledgehammer doesn't mean the wall's HP should be nerfed.

  • Yep, just chiming in to say it still affects normal gameplay, and blocks generators so far apart from each other that no one could ever consider them as part of a 3 gen. Hell I played a pig match with only Pain Res and a gen blocked purely because it was the middle gen and the survivors were throwing themselves on it.

  • If the kick limit was introduced to prevent 3 genning, why is it active at the start of the game, and not when there’s 3 gens left? Feel like that’s a big part of what’s making it overly hurt all the kick perks in the game.

  • @Blueberry said:

    If the kick limit was introduced to prevent 3 genning, why is it active at the start of the game, and not when there’s 3 gens left? Feel like that’s a big part of what’s making it overly hurt all the kick perks in the game.

    If I had to guess, I'd assume it's an attempt at tackling the cause, not the symptom.

    The problem that necessitated this system was 3-gen games that dragged on for almost an hour, but the cause of that problem was excessive gen stall. So, by tackling that root cause - excessive gen stall - you can safely avoid any weird loopholes or technicalities that allow the killer to stall a game out forever even if there isn't strictly a 3-gen just by going out of their way to kick the same gens over and over.

    As an aside, anecdotally, I have not noticed this system harming kick perks. I run those perks relatively frequently, and at most I've seen the warning spikes appear, I've literally not once seen a gen actually get blocked.

  • @mizark3 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3676818#Comment_3676818

    Do you not understand that there is nuance here? There is a difference between "make no mistakes" and "mistakes should be punishable". If you want to claim that your opponents are all inhuman machines that make no mistakes, then yeah I guess your point would be valid. At the same time shouldn't you be happy you got to the highest MMR and proved yourself to be in the top echelon? I think everyone is human, capable of error, and errors can be capitalized on by an intelligent opposition. That means you only need to make fewer mistakes than your enemies, kinda like the "I don't need to outrun the bear, I only need to outrun you" joke. That's how I won most of my matches, by forcing a critical decision, and my enemies choosing... poorly. I never claimed I didn't lose, just that my losses as Killer were near strictly under my control. If I really wanted to improve I would record and watch over every loss, but I don't care that much.

    You end your paragraph agreeing with me strangely enough. "That means normal gameplay would be trying to play with the intent on advancing the objective (without cheating, of course)." Killing Survivors is the Killer's objective, doing gens is the Survivor's. In most scenarios, if a Killer ever prioritizes a basic gen kick over a known chase, they aren't advancing their goal, they are trying to slow down the Survivor's. Gen kicks are almost always worse than chasing, so I always encourage pressure/chase (even if it is setup Pressure like Blood Orb collection or 99'd stalks). Its fine to make mistakes, as people learn more from their failures than their successes, but bashing my head on a wall and refusing to use a more effective tool like a Sledgehammer doesn't mean the wall's HP should be nerfed.

    Not sure what game you're playing, but gen control and regression is directly tied to being able to kill survivors. If you just let them repair gens without trying to regress them, they'll repair them MUCH faster and escape MUCH faster. Part of killing survivors is gen management. That's quite normal in the intended gameplay design - there is even perks dedicated to it! How about that.

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3677104#Comment_3677104

    Not sure what game you're playing, but gen control and regression is directly tied to being able to kill survivors. If you just let them repair gens without trying to regress them, they'll repair them MUCH faster and escape MUCH faster. Part of killing survivors is gen management. That's quite normal in the intended gameplay design - there is even perks dedicated to it! How about that.

    What game I'm playing? Helldivers 2 because MMR is ruining the game for me, but in Dead by Daylight, I try to mess with Survivors predominantly as Killer, and mess with gens predominantly as Survivor. Plus I must be doing something right as Killer if I can win 74% of my games before the gens pop (see picture below).

    That is correct, that if the Killer doesn't attempt to kill them while not kicking gens, the Survs will pop gens. If the Killer provides more pressure than the Survivors are able to keep up with, or do a gen kick where the passive regression won't be stopped early, then it will help Killer win. They may repair gens faster, but you'll also find that the Killer will kill them even faster than that. Playing ineffective gen defense may get the Killer 6 hooks by 5 popped gens, but playing effective offensive pressure will likely get the Killer 9 hooks by 5 popped gens (if the Survivors are even able to pop that final gen).

    Like I said before, a basic gen kick abandoning a chase gives the Survivors 36 gen seconds at the cost of ~9 regressed gen seconds, a net 27s loss for Killer. Even with a hooked Survivor and still abandoning a chase, it only provides Survivors 12 gen seconds at the cost of that same ~9 regressed gen seconds, still a net loss now at 3s for Killer. When you can guarantee the regression will sit for an extra 12/108 realtime seconds (hook or no hook timers respectively), then the gen kick finally is worth it for Killer.

    There are also perks for seeing more blood pools (Bloodhound), but I'm not sure you would agree this will carry a Killer to victory from existence alone. I would even argue that by purposely using a bad perk, it makes you lose more often. I can't recklessly use Hex: Pentimento without another totem perk and expect it to make me win, despite the massive 30% gen slowdown it provides when active. A perk being dedicated to something doesn't make it innately useful by virtue of existing.

    GenDefense.png


  • @mizark3 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3677263#Comment_3677263

    What game I'm playing? Helldivers 2 because MMR is ruining the game for me, but in Dead by Daylight, I try to mess with Survivors predominantly as Killer, and mess with gens predominantly as Survivor. Plus I must be doing something right as Killer if I can win 74% of my games before the gens pop (see picture below).

    That is correct, that if the Killer doesn't attempt to kill them while not kicking gens, the Survs will pop gens. If the Killer provides more pressure than the Survivors are able to keep up with, or do a gen kick where the passive regression won't be stopped early, then it will help Killer win. They may repair gens faster, but you'll also find that the Killer will kill them even faster than that. Playing ineffective gen defense may get the Killer 6 hooks by 5 popped gens, but playing effective offensive pressure will likely get the Killer 9 hooks by 5 popped gens (if the Survivors are even able to pop that final gen).

    Like I said before, a basic gen kick abandoning a chase gives the Survivors 36 gen seconds at the cost of ~9 regressed gen seconds, a net 27s loss for Killer. Even with a hooked Survivor and still abandoning a chase, it only provides Survivors 12 gen seconds at the cost of that same ~9 regressed gen seconds, still a net loss now at 3s for Killer. When you can guarantee the regression will sit for an extra 12/108 realtime seconds (hook or no hook timers respectively), then the gen kick finally is worth it for Killer.

    There are also perks for seeing more blood pools (Bloodhound), but I'm not sure you would agree this will carry a Killer to victory from existence alone. I would even argue that by purposely using a bad perk, it makes you lose more often. I can't recklessly use Hex: Pentimento without another totem perk and expect it to make me win, despite the massive 30% gen slowdown it provides when active. A perk being dedicated to something doesn't make it innately useful by virtue of existing.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/TQI0X1WO0SSS/gendefense.png

    I see where you're going for and where your confusement is. I'm not talking about abandoning a chase to kick - that's normally a bad idea unless that gen is super important and the killer knows other survivors aren't focusing on it. Otherwise, yeah - do continue the chase. Even then though, if a killer stops to kick gens with chases, that doesn't make it a "non-normal" match. BHVR defined a non-normal match as a killer who camps at a 3 gen from the very beginning of the match without advancing the objective with the intent on prolonging the game as long as possible. THAT is what is "not normal", and they said that this 8 regression limit would not affect people playing normally (ie actually attempting to advance the objective). This clearly is NOT the case and is what a lot of us here are pointing out.

    Also, for what it's worth, Helldivers is one heck of a great game. I don't blame you for playing that more than DBD, ha! Go spread that managed democracy.

  • Welp, another update in which weaker/M1 Killers get no help and the "Anti-3-gen" is still untouched despite entire videos and threads dedicated to it. At that point I'd just take a statement from the devs that the current iteration of the system will never be changed or if it's still under observation and an adjustment in the future is possible.

    (Side-note: rip Adrenaline since it's merely SB with a heal that doesn't work if hooked, not worth the hassle of playing with 3 perks especially in this understandable tunnelling rise, I guess the Wake up effect being gone is nice). At least de-pip is gone, it might increase people "going next" on first hook a bit but it'll stabilize.

    At least DS might kinda-sorta help against tunnelling, even though it will (yet again, just like the "Anti-3-gen" system and the Mangle/Sloppy nerf) only hurt weaker/M1 Killers while making little to no difference to the powerhouses which will be able to tunnel almost like before. DS should deactivate a Killer's power for a few seconds so it's useful against all Killers.

    Here's to keeping hope those threads are being seen!

  • @Skillfulstone said:

    Welp, another update in which weaker/M1 Killers get no help and the "Anti-3-gen" is still untouched despite entire videos and threads dedicated to it. At that point I'd just take a statement from the devs that the current iteration of the system will never be changed or if it's still under observation and an adjustment in the future is possible.

    (Side-note: rip Adrenaline since it's merely SB with a heal that doesn't work if hooked, not worth the hassle of playing with 3 perks especially in this understandable tunnelling rise, I guess the Wake up effect being gone is nice). At least de-pip is gone, it might increase people "going next" on first hook a bit but it'll stabilize.

    At least DS might kinda-sorta help against tunnelling, even though it will (yet again, just like the "Anti-3-gen" system and the Mangle/Sloppy nerf) only hurt weaker/M1 Killers while making little to no difference to the powerhouses which will be able to tunnel almost like before. DS should deactivate a Killer's power for a few seconds so it's useful against all Killers.

    Here's to keeping hope those threads are being seen!

    I'm thinking BHVR is just abandoning the weaker killers entirely and are going to just start focusing gameplay balance around the higher tier killers. Too many of their recent changes have severely hurt weak killers, and more changes keep coming to make them even worst. At least the twins are getting some love, I suppose.

  • 8 gen regression limit is fine I have to actually trigger it unless I use eruption which needs a rework or something to avoid how easily it reaches the regression limit. There are many perks that delay gens without regressing them (Corrupt, Deadlock, Grim, DMS, etc)

  • Ok the latest announced update (with further nerfs to gen slowdown in the form of Pain Res, Pop, Grim Embrace and Deadlock all being nerfed while at the same time giving a 20% nerf to DS) is just ridiculous. Congrats to those who screamed long and loud enough: the only viable options at a higher level for weaker/M1 Killers are now even weaker.

    (Also rip to Wesker, infection will barely pose any kind of threat or slowdown due to how long it takes to fill up from 0, with how many sprays there are, running out will be next to impossible since Survivors won't be pressured into curing. Guess one of the most fun yet not broken Killers needed to be toned down.)

    The worst part is that it won't change the meta (except maybe lower Grim Embrace pickrate) because even with nerfs, Pop and Pain Res are STILL the best options since they use less regression events and are less likely to accidentally trigger the "Anti-3-gen" early.

    With even weaker slowdown and a DS nerf, it will just make tunnelling/slugging/camping even worse than ever because how else are weaker/M1 Killers supposed to compete when climbing the ladder?

    Pain Res had a maximum of 4 uses (with no guarantee to not accidentally waste a token on a gen that has barely any progress or a nearly-finished gen that gets completed anyway before you can stop it) and required fresh hooks (y'know, not tunnelling) to work.

    Deadlock only ever worked on 1 gen at a time, which means that Survivors that split up (which is the better strat which is most common when climbing the MMR ladder) will be least affected by it.

    Grim Embrace is getting a small nerf, but why even nerf it? It was a perk that encouraged not tunnelling and that really wasn't anything special unless brought with DMS.

    I'm not sure what's the goal here, variety is just going down every updates at this point. They say that the best slowdown is a dead Survivor. Well, it's only getting more true over time.

    At least remove the Anti-3-gen before there is only 1 or 2 gens left (to account for potential 4 gen setups because of bad spawns and certain Killers) because it's getting ridiculous when every ways to get more time except tunnelling someone out asap is getting nerfed/restricted, people need more viable options, not less.

  • @Skillfulstone said:

    Ok the latest announced update (with further nerfs to gen slowdown in the form of Pain Res, Pop, Grim Embrace and Deadlock all being nerfed while at the same time giving a 20% nerf to DS) is just ridiculous. Congrats to those who screamed long and loud enough: the only viable options at a higher level for weaker/M1 Killers are now even weaker.

    (Also rip to Wesker, infection will barely pose any kind of threat or slowdown due to how long it takes to fill up from 0, with how many sprays there are, running out will be next to impossible since Survivors won't be pressured into curing. Guess one of the most fun yet not broken Killers needed to be toned down.)

    The worst part is that it won't change the meta (except maybe lower Grim Embrace pickrate) because even with nerfs, Pop and Pain Res are STILL the best options since they use less regression events and are less likely to accidentally trigger the "Anti-3-gen" early.

    With even weaker slowdown and a DS nerf, it will just make tunnelling/slugging/camping even worse than ever because how else are weaker/M1 Killers supposed to compete when climbing the ladder?

    Pain Res had a maximum of 4 uses (with no guarantee to not accidentally waste a token on a gen that has barely any progress or a nearly-finished gen that gets completed anyway before you can stop it) and required fresh hooks (y'know, not tunnelling) to work.

    Deadlock only ever worked on 1 gen at a time, which means that Survivors that split up (which is the better strat which is most common when climbing the MMR ladder) will be least affected by it.

    Grim Embrace is getting a small nerf, but why even nerf it? It was a perk that encouraged not tunnelling and that really wasn't anything special unless brought with DMS.

    I'm not sure what's the goal here, variety is just going down every updates at this point. They say that the best slowdown is a dead Survivor. Well, it's only getting more true over time.

    At least remove the Anti-3-gen before there is only 1 or 2 gens left (to account for potential 4 gen setups because of bad spawns and certain Killers) because it's getting ridiculous when every ways to get more time except tunnelling someone out asap is getting nerfed/restricted, people need more viable options, not less.

    I used to play daily. I'm pretty much just giving up on DBD at this point. I have not played in almost a month, and this patch is the final nail in the coffin. The game is just broken if you want to main underdogs\m1 killers. I mean, a lot of other killers at least have a LOT of various things going for them in their kit to make up for weaker and weaker perks. M1 killers, however, don't have that luxury and seriously depend on perks. They may as well just retire m1 killers at this point. It's also frustrating how any survivor nerfs come with alternative buffs as compensation to make up for it, but killers just get straight up nerfs with no compensation.

  • @drwilburdaffodil said:

    Yep, just chiming in to say it still affects normal gameplay, and blocks generators so far apart from each other that no one could ever consider them as part of a 3 gen. Hell I played a pig match with only Pain Res and a gen blocked purely because it was the middle gen and the survivors were throwing themselves on it.

    Yeah this tends to happen easily when going up the mmr ladder (there's even a video in this very thread showing exactly this happening), good enough players can take advantage of that with enough awareness. However it only really works against weaker/M1 Killers due to having not enough mobility/lethality to effectively be able to chase/keep Survivors away from the gen.

    I see the thing they wanted to go for, and the sentiment is nice despite the method being flawed, but it only really should only kick-in when there's 1 or 2 gens left (some of the smaller maps do tend to sometimes spawn nasty 4-gen setups that stronger/area-denial Killers like Skull Merchant, Knight or Blight can still defend decently). As long as maps are small enough and spawns are weird enough to create those setups then the Anti-3-gen should perhaps account for a 4-gen possibility (especially with Killers such as Singularity or Skull Merchant that can control a vast area).

  • Weaker M1 killers need TARGETTED perk and kit buffs. I am okay with reworking certain M1 Killers such as Myers, Krugger to make the game more fun for those players. But just overall perk nerfs to make M1 Killers better will not help it make great killers even worse and they get the scraps.

  • Ok so, even though the perk itself was DOA (I honestly don't think I've ever seen the perk outside of adepts and Doctors using a skillcheck build, and even then it's not like it gives much value against Survivors with a kernel of experience), I recently found out (due to the new random mode) that the perk "Undone" actually takes away 2 regression events per kicks if tokens are used. Warning spikes showed up at 2 kicks and 2 kicks later the middle gen of Ormond was unkickable. Had to make sure I wasn't crazy so I confirmed in a custom with a friend afterwards.

    Like, you can't make this up, a perk that's made for the specific purpose of making Survivor's mistakes cost them more (more missed skill checks=more regression) actively works against you by effectively halving your regression events. And this perk released almost at the same time as the Anti-3-gen!

    The Shuffle mode, since it makes me use, and face, perks that I haven't used/faced in months, is reminding me why perk variety went down since the Anti-3-gen and only worsened with time. Literally all it would need to be perfect is to only trigger at 2 gens remaining (4-gen spawns are sadly a thing).

    (Side-note: getting Boon: Illumination, Detective's Hunch and Kindred just overloads the screen with aura it's hilarious XD).

  • The Ghostface video is the average Dbd player when they 4k (op let the last survivor go, but he could have gotten the 4k if he wanted to) at 1 instead of 5 gens.

    The thing is with Surge if you reached 8 regression events it means in "worst" case scenario everyone is death hook and best scenario is 2 people are dead and either 1 other survivor is death hook or 2 survivors have been hooked once. So, the current 3 gen mechanic works fine.

    Now Ghostface being a C tier character should get some buffs, primarily removing his straps out of view while playing him, and making a more logical reveal mechanic that would make him harder to reveal, but would make more sense on how it works for both sides.

  • @skylustv said:

    Skull Merchant should be the only killer to have this stupid mechanic tbh

    excuse me? I don’t agree at all in her current state she cannot camp a 3 gen like she used to so im sorry but this is irrelevant, knight can hold a 3 gen and was the original 3 gen holder. As a skull merchant main I never 3 gened EVER! I agree it was a lame way to play but she’s different now so stop hating on her because of how people chose to abuse a mechanic that was never intended by the dev’s

  • @Skillfulstone said:

    Ok so, even though the perk itself was DOA (I honestly don't think I've ever seen the perk outside of adepts and Doctors using a skillcheck build, and even then it's not like it gives much value against Survivors with a kernel of experience), I recently found out (due to the new random mode) that the perk "Undone" actually takes away 2 regression events per kicks if tokens are used. Warning spikes showed up at 2 kicks and 2 kicks later the middle gen of Ormond was unkickable. Had to make sure I wasn't crazy so I confirmed in a custom with a friend afterwards.

    Like, you can't make this up, a perk that's made for the specific purpose of making Survivor's mistakes cost them more (more missed skill checks=more regression) actively works against you by effectively halving your regression events. And this perk released almost at the same time as the Anti-3-gen!

    The Shuffle mode, since it makes me use, and face, perks that I haven't used/faced in months, is reminding me why perk variety went down since the Anti-3-gen and only worsened with time. Literally all it would need to be perfect is to only trigger at 2 gens remaining (4-gen spawns are sadly a thing).

    (Side-note: getting Boon: Illumination, Detective's Hunch and Kindred just overloads the screen with aura it's hilarious XD).

    Huh, really?

    That sounds like a bug to me. Surely that perk should work like Pop and have the whole activation only count as one regression event? I haven't actually used it, so maybe there's a delay before the extra regression kicks in…

    Should probably be changed either way, though.

  • @ChainsLogic said:

    The Ghostface video is the average Dbd player when they 4k (op let the last survivor go, but he could have gotten the 4k if he wanted to) at 1 instead of 5 gens.

    The thing is with Surge if you reached 8 regression events it means in "worst" case scenario everyone is death hook and best scenario is 2 people are dead and either 1 other survivor is death hook or 2 survivors have been hooked once. So, the current 3 gen mechanic works fine.

    Now Ghostface being a C tier character should get some buffs, primarily removing his straps out of view while playing him, and making a more logical reveal mechanic that would make him harder to reveal, but would make more sense on how it works for both sides.

    Downs don't necessarily mean hooks. There are a ton of ways to deny a killer a hook state when a survivor is downed or picked up.

  • I havn't had the issue with the new 3 gen, if anything the new 5 percent on baseline kicks has given me more breathing room to run chase only builds as "weaker m1 killers". The new kick was a step in the right direction, the issue is surge/jolt, it's a trap for beginners and gets gens blocked off way too quickly, same with eruption. I feel Surge needs a CD and its amount increased again (to stop same gen being blown up for a minor amount).

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3721993#Comment_3721993

    Downs don't necessarily mean hooks. There are a ton of ways to deny a killer a hook state when a survivor is downed or picked up.

    Ofc it's not guaranteed, but most of the time you'll hook the survivor just fine.

  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    I havn't had the issue with the new 3 gen, if anything the new 5 percent on baseline kicks has given me more breathing room to run chase only builds as "weaker m1 killers". The new kick was a step in the right direction, the issue is surge/jolt, it's a trap for beginners and gets gens blocked off way too quickly, same with eruption. I feel Surge needs a CD and its amount increased again (to stop same gen being blown up for a minor amount).

    Surge isn't a trap for beginners. It's a staple in many m1 killer builds - even among veteran and tournament level players. M1 killers don't have the time to stop to kick gens - their chases are incredibly more important than many other killers. Surge was never problematic until the 8 gen change. Also, the devs specifically removed the CD on surge, as the no CD is supposed to punish survivors for being in a poor position. Now it's completely reversed and now punishes killers.

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3722941#Comment_3722941

    Surge isn't a trap for beginners. It's a staple in many m1 killer builds - even among veteran and tournament level players. M1 killers don't have the time to stop to kick gens - their chases are incredibly more important than many other killers. Surge was never problematic until the 8 gen change. Also, the devs specifically removed the CD on surge, as the no CD is supposed to punish survivors for being in a poor position. Now it's completely reversed and now punishes killers.

    It is a trap, they aren't going to know when its better to go for a grab over a hit, it incurs the penatly more quickly, it's effective yes, but all the m1 killers complaining about the limit are using it, you even said so yourself.

    It needs some changes to make it better to use.

  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3725234#Comment_3725234

    It is a trap, they aren't going to know when its better to go for a grab over a hit, it incurs the penatly more quickly, it's effective yes, but all the m1 killers complaining about the limit are using it, you even said so yourself.

    It needs some changes to make it better to use.

    I mean yeah, it's a problem. I'd say the easiest fix is that surge have a CD period before it can "use up" another gen charge, so survivors out of position and get double-downed don't end up hurting the killer with the gen charges (a double down usually is a single hook).

  • If killers need a boost then boost only them. Killer buffs should be limited to the killer that needs it.

1 2 ›