Corner hooks

Once again just had a game where a survivor died on the 1 hook available in the corner and their teammates realizing. Game ended with both of the remaining survivors bleeding out while tucked as far into the corner as possible... I feel like there should just be unbreakable corner hooks at this point, or remove the entity permanently breaking the hook.

17041695875205839155197861535162.jpg

Comments

  • dunno why people force these situations

    why would I want the killer to intentionally bleed me out for 4 minutes

    would definitely crawl to an area with hooks

  • @humanbeing1704 said:

    dunno why people force these situations

    why would I want the killer to intentionally bleed me out for 4 minutes

    would definitely crawl to an area with hooks

    I don't know why the devs introduced those entity permanently broken hooks to begin with. It's just ASKING for problems. It's not like I have alternate hooks I COULDVE used when there's only 1 hook in the area. The gen in the background you see is the corner gen by a TL wall.

  • I think they should just remove hooks breaking on death. It’s an outdated mechanic that’s not really necessary and it rarely hinders the killer much except when it creates annoying situations like this where there’s a hook deadzone. You don’t always have control over it as killer either, sometimes you can prevent it but sometimes you can’t.

  • I agree, this mechanic needs to be removed.

    I believe the design intent is to make it more likely for a survivor to wiggle out when others get sacrificed, to increase their chances of survival a little bit.

    But the reality is that it usually just makes it impossible for certain survivors to get hooked leading to situations like this.

    So it'd be better off removed.

  • Just remove the mechanic, that hooks get destroyed when a survivor gets sacrificed on it.

    It serves no purpose anymore and only leads to this.

  • @humanbeing1704 said:

    dunno why people force these situations

    why would I want the killer to intentionally bleed me out for 4 minutes

    would definitely crawl to an area with hooks

    Some people just love to waste time.

  • I had one round with unbreakeable, where he couldn‘t hook me and then, after he gave up, I crawled to the exit gate and opened it.

  • This is one of those outdated mechanics that should’ve been removed a long time ago IMO.


  • @LordGlint said:

    Once again just had a game where a survivor died on the 1 hook available in the corner and their teammates realizing. Game ended with both of the remaining survivors bleeding out while tucked as far into the corner as possible... I feel like there should just be unbreakable corner hooks at this point, or remove the entity permanently breaking the hook.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/AVH4IZ8SIJV5/17041695875205839155197861535162.jpg

    While I don't have any kind of official statement or location to cite, I would imagine the reason for the hook breaking mechanic is to ensure that if there is a particularly easy to camp/defend hook for a killer, they can't just tunnel a survivor off of hook then keep using the same hook once a survivor is sacrificed. This seems like a failsafe since hook spawns are procedural.

    So I suppose one way of thinking about it is, removal of this mechanic doesn't come with all the benefits for free. It will come with issues of particularly powerful hook spawns on certain maps potentially becoming problematic vs. certain killers. Think of the issues with Boil Over and maps that don't have anywhere you can reach a hook without losing a survivor, but in reverse.

    For example imagine a Nurse or Bubba managing to hook a survivor on one of the hills in the middle of Pale Moon Swamp. They can effectively ensure that no one can get to that hook without trading as they can always have LoS of it. So the idea I would think is when a survivor is sacrificed, they lose that particular hook, and can't then do the exact same thing to next survivor until everyone is dead.

    The reason Basement hooks don't break is survivors can easily identify basement and know not to go there... but if you get an equally defendable regular hook that is possible to get the same value from in the normal playing area, you have a problem... a regular hook should never be reaching basement levels of power. This also feeds into Scourge Hooks, and whether there is any issue with those not breaking permanently if you can get a really good one for Huntress with something like Floods Of Rage for example.

    So thats the trade.

    • Potentially have dead zones that forces the killer to leave all survivors slugged and bleeding out.
    • Potentially having really strong hook spawns that the killer can easily camp and tunnel, that never gets removed and can carry on being recycled.

    Personally I see the former as a little bit less of an issue... When it comes to survivors all being slugged under the broken hook, I can't help feel a little bit of "you reap what you sow".

  • @UndeddJester said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/401564/corner-hooks

    While I don't have any kind of official statement or location to cite, I would imagine the reason for the hook breaking mechanic is to ensure that if there is a particularly easy to camp/defend hook for a killer, they can't just tunnel a survivor off of hook then keep using the same hook once a survivor is sacrificed. This seems like a failsafe since hook spawns are procedural.

    So I suppose one way of thinking about it is, removal of this mechanic doesn't come with all the benefits for free. It will come with issues of particularly powerful hook spawns on certain maps potentially becoming problematic vs. certain killers. Think of the issues with Boil Over and maps that don't have anywhere you can reach a hook without losing a survivor, but in reverse.

    For example imagine a Nurse or Bubba managing to hook a survivor on one of the hills in the middle of Pale Moon Swamp. They can effectively ensure that no one can get to that hook without trading as they can always have LoS of it. So the idea I would think is when a survivor is sacrificed, they lose that particular hook, and can't then do the exact same thing to next survivor until everyone is dead.

    The reason Basement hooks don't break is survivors can easily identify basement and know not to go there... but if you get an equally defendable regular hook that is possible to get the same value from in the normal playing area, you have a problem... a regular hook should never be reaching basement levels of power. This also feeds into Scourge Hooks, and whether there is any issue with those not breaking permanently if you can get a really good one for Huntress with something like Floods Of Rage for example.

    So thats the trade.

    • Potentially have dead zones that forces the killer to leave all survivors slugged and bleeding out.
    • Potentially having really strong hook spawns that the killer can easily camp and tunnel, that never gets removed and can carry on being recycled.

    Personally I see the former as a little bit less of an issue... When it comes to survivors all being slugged under the broken hook, I can't help feel a little bit of "you reap what you sow".

    This only really happens in the corners of maps where often times there's only 1 hook that spawns. I feel like if they were to do something like install unbreakable hooks in otherwise problematic spots, we'd be good.