I Think DBD As A Casual Game Is Dead

Not much to this.


I don't think the game can be played at an average casual level anymore. I don't think you can really come home from a long day at work and play a couple of games on either role without the game being more trouble than it's worth.


Whether it's problematic Killer designs that are unfun to play against (Legion and Twins), overtuned characters (Blight and Nurse), Skull Merchant or even just the Killer being outright better than you, the casual Survivor experience is bad.

Whether it's teams that force you to play tactically and try hard, people who abuse certain bugs, people who just like to be frustrating (Boil Over) or just plain good teams; the causal Killer experience isn't much better.



I think that should change for both roles. I don't think you should need to sink 6 hours into a play session whilst being hyper-aware and uber competitive in order to have a chance to have fun.

Comments

  • MMR ruined dead by daylight. I haven't spent any money on this game ever since the devs made the stupid decision to put in mmr

  • DBD shouldn't be a casual game.

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3508596#Comment_3508596

    You didn't provide that as context, all you have here is a complaint about how the game isn't fun and how it has to change in order to be fun again.

    Well lots of people still play and find it fun probably more so than than your small collection of friends who've quit.

    There is plenty of fun to be had for the casual gamer and if a player is struggling to find it then walking away for a bit, as your group of friends has done, is the probably best idea.

    "I don't think the game can be played at an average casual level anymore. I don't think you can really come home from a long day at work and play a couple of games on either role without the game being more trouble than it's worth." You're speaking on the behalf of others, that sounds like a personal view to me. Be honest with yourself if you aren't having fun stop for a while.

    I don't think you play competitively, more lilkely you play too seriously, because you often gripe about competitive mechanics and strategies listing them as unfun.

    Your complaints are incongruous with your stance on how you play, yet you said you're still having fun because of your competitive mindset err... ask yourself who are you trying to convince the forums or yourself?

    I am not egotistical enough to think I speak for everyone.


    However, it's completely possible to be able to see different perspectives. I take the game much too seriously, as shown by me trying my hand at competitive DBD. Most people don't do that.

    The casual nature of this game, I think, has gone. I also think that's a bad thing in the long run, as DBD isn't truly competitive either. The game has pushed casual players out whilst not appealing to competitive players either.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3509111#Comment_3509111

    I am not egotistical enough to think I speak for everyone.

    However, it's completely possible to be able to see different perspectives. I take the game much too seriously, as shown by me trying my hand at competitive DBD. Most people don't do that.

    The casual nature of this game, I think, has gone. I also think that's a bad thing in the long run, as DBD isn't truly competitive either. The game has pushed casual players out whilst not appealing to competitive players either.

    You're opinionated enough to think that a casual player can't have fun playing this game after a long day of work and that the casual game is dead. More trouble than its worth and its pushing players away.

    Well player count is pretty stable looking at the steam charts over the long term. The measurable facts don't fit your opinion. When that happens your opinion has to change to fit the facts because the facts don't care what your opinion is and will remain just so.

    So here is a casual player with a group of casual player friends, whom often play after a long hard day of work, telling you otherwise. But your opinion is noted.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3508415#Comment_3508415

    I didn't say this was about me.

    I'm still having an acceptable time on the game, as I play very competitively, but all of my more casually-minded friends have quit.

    All my casual friends don't play either.. People don't seem to realize this game looks a lot different when you are "outside" looking "in". You could say that about many games sure, but I feel DBD is a special case in that point of view. DBD is an "easier said than done" type of game for the more casual people I have known to play it, which is quite a few tbh.

  • A random perk mode would be nice. At least if you do bad you can blame the perks. Probably as chill as it's gonna get.

  • @VirtuaTyKing said:

    A random perk mode would be nice. At least if you do bad you can blame the perks. Probably as chill as it's gonna get.

    I think that could definitely be around in the future.

    The random perk challenge during the Anniversary was received well.

  • @biggybiggybiggens said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3508596#Comment_3508596

    All my casual friends don't play either.. People don't seem to realize this game looks a lot different when you are "outside" looking "in". You could say that about many games sure, but I feel DBD is a special case in that point of view. DBD is an "easier said than done" type of game for the more casual people I have known to play it, which is quite a few tbh.

    that’s why this game has always felt like it’s never had mainstream appeal

  • @EmpireCity830 said:

    I agree. Killer is nothing but sweat squads. Map design is awful and hold W strat is unbeatable. Gens are too easy and I honestly feel like survivor currently requires so little skill to play. I'm a killer main but have played both pretty equally over the last year or so. It's so easy to do gens and gen rush killers. I don't even go into games with the intention of gen rushing killers it's just so easy do.

    I also hate the entitlement and toxicity of this community. I just played a game with Blight and got cooked and all I get is the "ggez, ur trash" and stuff like that. Like no one has any respect anymore.

    I am a P100 Blight but I'm by no means a "God Tier" Blight. I just really like the killer and on a good day I can be decent with him. People just seem to forget that prestige level and skill level are not the same thing. Not everyone is trying to be an expert killer in this game. Some people just want to have some chill games. I honestly wish there was a way to hide your prestige level in the endgame screen. People will always judge you poorly if you're a high prestige killer and play awful.

    Something needs to change. I feel killer is so much harder now than it was a couple of years ago.

    Lies líes tons of lies

  • I've been saying for a long time that we should separate casual and ranked matches. Because there are casual players and ranked players in this game. That'll solve the problem. I don't understand why BHVR doesn't do something this simple.

  • It's a lot easier to get casual games as killer since it's a more simple to show that you're interested in goofing around i find. I get a decent amount of matches as billy that devolve into people lining up at shack waiting for their turn to get curved.

  • @Steakdabait said:

    It's a lot easier to get casual games as killer since it's a more simple to show that you're interested in goofing around i find. I get a decent amount of matches as billy that devolve into people lining up at shack waiting for their turn to get curved.

    Hmm, is it? I can't say that I do share the same experiences. As a killer, all the survivors whom I keep encountering are SWF premades with, at least one BNP Toolbox per a match, usually filled with two more Flashlights and one more Medkits of ~40 charges or more.

    However, as a survivor.. I do kinda feel the pain. The killers do refuse to drop chases and search for survivors within vulnerable areas in so many cases, and then they excuse their reasonings for tunneling, it's a skill issue, and no longer treating the match casually, if you ask me.

    As for people lining up behind objects and allowing you to hit them.. That's what I see as mocking you. Perhaps, I'm just being too pesimistic here, but I'd rather have them leave ASAP than to stand by the exit for me to hit them two times. I do value my time a lot more than that, and I prefer being called a bad player than having people complimenting me without even meaning any of them, as I don't really wanna get spoiled, you know?

  • @SMitchell8 said:

    You can't play casually as killer. You have to work and sweat for wins, especially with B tier or below killers.

    That depends on what each killer's definition of a "win" even is.

    For some of us, simply getting 8 hooks is a win.

1 2 3 ›