Skull Merchant

I logged into the Dead By Daylight today and my first match was a Skull Merchant trying to hold a 3-gen. I assume this is thanks to the video that Hens put up on YouTube. Behavior, what are you going to do about this killer? I stayed in this match for over 30 minutes because of this player using cheap tactics:

  1. Kick Gen
  2. Go to next gen, kick gen
  3. Rinse and repeat until you find a survivor out of position

This is not how the game should be played. As a player who has been playing since 2019, this killer is the worst addition to the game. There is literally no skill involved on the killers end.

On top of it all, I was the 2nd last to be downed, so of course they slugged to get a 4k, so I dc'd so the other survivor could get hatch. In my opinion, I should not receive a DC penalty because of this killer and playstyle. When the survivor bots come in, in my opinion, DC penalty should be removed, and these cheap skull merchant players can play against bots all day every day if behavior won't fix skull merchant.

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492278#Comment_3492278

    Being capable of forcing the match to reach the server shut down time? That is a hostage situation.

    That's why the devs have made a public statement regarding SM changes.

    Not really, survivors have option to give up and die at any point of the game.

    Hostage situations is only when only possible way to get out of the game is DC. For example blocked in corner as survivor etc.

    3-gen is not hostage situation. It's both sides refusing to lose.

  • @NurseJoy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492278#Comment_3492278

    You need to be so for real, clearly you don't know what holding the game hostage means either - It's when a player will hold out a game for a long period of time to the point where the opposing side can't do anything else but lose in order to get out of the game. Before end game collapse, survivors would hold killers hostage in end game by continuously staying in the game until the killer finally DC's or actually manages to get a kill.

    Exact same situation with skull merchant, SM will actively patrol 3 gens and not commit to any chases or hooks in order to stop the survivors from completing the gen and in turn keeping them hostage until they either DC or just die intentionally.

    That's not how the game was designed to be played, killers are supposed to KILL. SM simply keeps survivors held hostage

    No, losing is valid way to end the game. You just don't want to do it.

    It's hostage situation when DC is your only option. When you are blocked in corner as last survivor, that's hostage situation. You can't do anything about it.

    3-gen is not hostage situation. You can attempt to break it and either win or die.

    But if you go hide into corner, then you are not better...

  • @mikewelk said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492273#Comment_3492273

    The Skull Merchant hasn't even played DBD for one thousand hours. You could tell they were inexperienced by silly mistakes throughout the game even though all they had to do was patrol generators. That's the only reason Team Eternal won. They wouldn't have won no matter how much they prepared if the Skull Merchant took advantage of them all being injured. Did you even watch the game where one survivor pulled off a easy dead hard?

    Prestige 100 doesn't equal experience anymore when events like Bloodrush and the 7th anniversary just recently happened. Getting Bloodpoints isn't a problem anymore. Prestige one hundred isn't a flex anymore.

    Also, make sure to send some tips to KnightLight, seems like you know exactly what to do in such situations. They don't need to practice against a low tier killer if they can handle the best. KnightLight went against that Skull Merchant as well, that's why the Skull Merchant made fun of him and then KnightLight called them out. It's not like they've never been against a three gen Skull Merchant.

    I don't really need to send him tips. They did figure it out in the end, so next time they will just do it from start.

    I play Skull merchant quite a lot, that's why I know what works. I simply remember what was annoying for me, when survivors did it.


    How exactly you want skully to punish them for being injured? She is M1 killer, they are all top tier survivors and won't get downed easily. She didn't have any hooks except on Dan.

    If Skully tried to commit to chase, they would finish gen meanwhile. Mainly when they were baiting on Dan, who was using MFT.

  • @Gandor said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492369#Comment_3492369

    Sorry, but I have yet to see a game where there are 4 live survivors that can't fix all the gens in 30+ minutes (counting all the killers you mentioned). Provided we are not talking about skull merchant. Like sure - there's knight that can come semi-close to it, but he's still weak in comparison.

    Huge difference is, that you can actually dodge legion's hit (FoV tech, pallet, locker, 360, etc) or even if you don't you can still fix the gen while being injured and for some time also while mending. You can also hide next to gen while legion is not in frenzy and so on. His kit is just bad in comparison to SM in holding 3gen. Like he can postpone the game, but not keep the gens at 0...

    Hens showed game when Wraith did same thing, but it's true Eternal team destroyed him later. But I wouldn't say that team before was bad...


    Thing is there are killers I can hold 3-gen and win against most survivors and even SWF.

    Only difference is skully has lower lethality. I am going to win quite fast with any of those killers. Well, fast compare to skully.

    It's harder with her, because you will win only if survivor made a mistake. If they all play save, you will have tough time.

  • @DaddyMyers_Mori said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492473#Comment_3492473

    I don't really need to send him tips. They did figure it out in the end, so next time they will just do it from start.

    I play Skull merchant quite a lot, that's why I know what works. I simply remember what was annoying for me, when survivors did it.

    How exactly you want skully to punish them for being injured? She is M1 killer, they are all top tier survivors and won't get downed easily. She didn't have any hooks except on Dan.

    If Skully tried to commit to chase, they would finish gen meanwhile. Mainly when they were baiting on Dan, who was using MFT.

    Maybe not fall for an easy to predict Dead Hard? Maybe accept defeat and end with a 1K by tunneling the person on second hook? I don't know, holding a game hostage doesn't sound like winning.

  • @DaddyMyers_Mori said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492372#Comment_3492372

    Hens showed game when Wraith did same thing, but it's true Eternal team destroyed him later. But I wouldn't say that team before was bad...

    Thing is there are killers I can hold 3-gen and win against most survivors and even SWF.

    Only difference is skully has lower lethality. I am going to win quite fast with any of those killers. Well, fast compare to skully.

    It's harder with her, because you will win only if survivor made a mistake. If they all play save, you will have tough time.

    The thing is, that I seriously doubt it. There was a case for this during gen kick meta. But without some killer that enhanced it with power (knight), it was quite fully possible. Right now? Nope. Nobody but skull merchant can do that. I haven't seen something even close to this after or before gen-kick meta. Like there are killers that can be annoying with it, but it's never possible to hold it until server shuts down (provided it's still 4v1)

  • @Gandor said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492095#Comment_3492095

    If people dc on average in X amount and against specific killer X times 4 amount, you can be sure there's something specific to the killer that makes people DC that much more specifically on that killer.

    Same goes for last game and same goes for dying on first hook.

    You can expect that people will actually complain about the reason why this abnormality happens (say if she had game-breaking bug that kicks players from game, you would see many posts about it). And this is in fact already true - see the sheer number of threads about deleting/changing the killer with so many replies (like this one).

    There's just no other viable explenation why would people DC more against her (random chance would be so astronomically improbable, that you can win lottery much easier), then what you can see in all these threads - that she prolongs the game by insane amount. Just show me 1 other plausible explenation that would explain it considering all the feedback that is given. But you can't. Because there needs to be reason why it's always SM that has so many DC's instead of say Billy - or Knight for that matter. There's no other feedback then people saying she is insufferable.

    Killswitch under these conditions makes perfect sense - the killer is doing more harm (to whole survivor population), then good (to a few killer mains that enjoy her). This is perfectly reasonable response to the issue at hand - limit the damage to the game

    She is not broken. She works as intended. If it is good result or not is something different tho. It was mistake to release her right after Knight imo.

    Players DC because it's boring for them and they don't want to play against it. Not really difficult concept.

    Is it an issue they should fix? Yeah

    Is it something to use kill switch for? No


    Skull merchant currently is not strong enough for simple nerf. She is far from that. She need changes that would decrease her ability to hold 3-gen and buff her lethality.

    But I don't believe her core power is beyond saving.

    They will probably screw it tho.


    You see her doing it more for simple reason. It's easy...

    She is not really best at holding 3-gen, but it's easiest for sure and other killers have other viable playstyles.

    Legion or Wraith are great for hit&run for example. Wesker is overall strong killer, who doesn't need 3-gen.

    I managed to make her work even while playing normal way, but you need to make some effort for it to work. I rather focus on early slowdown than waiting for 3-gen lock. Well, if they got to one gen and didn't remove 3-gen, then sucks to be them....

  • @mikewelk said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492520#Comment_3492520

    Maybe not fall for an easy to predict Dead Hard? Maybe accept defeat and end with a 1K by tunneling the person on second hook? I don't know, holding a game hostage doesn't sound like winning.

    What a hypocrite...

    Accept defeat?

    I can say same for survivors. You didn't manage to break a 3-gen, so just accept defeat and let her kill all of you.

    But you don't like this option... It's not hostage situation, when you can give up.

  • @DaddyMyers_Mori said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492530#Comment_3492530

    What a hypocrite...

    Accept defeat?

    I can say same for survivors. You didn't manage to break a 3-gen, so just accept defeat and let her kill all of you.

    But you don't like this option... It's not hostage situation, when you can give up.

    You can DC if you're being held hostage in a corner. Give the killer the win. That's also a form of giving up.

  • @mikewelk said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492745#Comment_3492745

    You can DC if you're being held hostage in a corner. Give the killer the win. That's also a form of giving up.

    That's DC for penalty.

    Just dying on hook, or bleed out are normal results of any game.

  • @DaddyMyers_Mori said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492763#Comment_3492763

    That's DC for penalty.

    Just dying on hook, or bleed out are normal results of any game.

    Define a normal DBD game before Skull Merchant and Knight got introduced please. You wouldn't even think about a killer three genning from the very start of the game.

  • @mikewelk said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492770#Comment_3492770

    Define a normal DBD game before Skull Merchant and Knight got introduced please. You wouldn't even think about a killer three genning from the very start of the game.

    I have been using 3-gen two years ago...

    The hell you mean, it just wasn't main stream strategy.

    People started to use 3-gen with CoB release, because it made it easier.

    There are many maps where I simply refused to leave part of it and played around 4 gens.

    It's nothing new.


    It also wasn't used that much, because ruin pop was a thing that made you travel around the map to different gens. Also gave you usually enough time.

    First good 3-gen build was with Nemesis, because you got Eruption.

    That with Oppression, Jolt, pop was quite unique build that wasn't used at that time.

    I have been playing that with Wraith and Legion a lot.

  • I don't understand how people can defend her: "she's fun to play". Really? How can it be fun kicking generators the whole time and do absolutely nothing wandering around in 8 meters square?

    1 choose 3 gen

    2 do absolutely nothing

    3 win

    How is this acceptable. The Hens video showed 4 of the best players in comm. They lasted 56 minutes. Yesterday in solo queue, we had a game lasted 72 minutes. Seven two. 72 minutes of going back and forth, healing, running, coming back, healing... Then, after zero hooks, everybody wanted to go and started throwing the game. Icing on the cake, he slugged us 'till death, nodding all the time. I mean really? How is this even in the game. How. How it is possible to build a concept like this, not knowing in advance the implications of it. How. It blows my mind. How.

  • @aurum_exe said:

    I don't understand how people can defend her: "she's fun to play". Really? How can it be fun kicking generators the whole time and do absolutely nothing wandering around in 8 meters square?

    1 choose 3 gen

    2 do absolutely nothing

    3 win

    How is this acceptable. The Hens video showed 4 of the best players in comm. They lasted 56 minutes. Yesterday in solo queue, we had a game lasted 72 minutes. Seven two. 72 minutes of going back and forth, healing, running, coming back, healing... Then, after zero hooks, everybody wanted to go and started throwing the game. Icing on the cake, he slugged us 'till death, nodding all the time. I mean really? How is this even in the game. How. How it is possible to build a concept like this, not knowing in advance the implications of it. How. It blows my mind. How.

    How is it fun? That's easy.

    You mix playstyle with killer.

    Playing 3-gen from start of the game is boring with any killer, but some games require it to win...

    But you don't have to play this way, it's just more difficult than 3-gen with Skully


    3-gen is for me same as camping or tunneling. It's effective way to win in correct situation, but noone should play with this plan from start of the game. That's when issue starts.

  • @DaddyMyers_Mori said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3494307#Comment_3494307

    How is it fun? That's easy.

    You mix playstyle with killer.

    Playing 3-gen from start of the game is boring with any killer, but some games require it to win...

    But you don't have to play this way, it's just more difficult than 3-gen with Skully

    3-gen is for me same as camping or tunneling. It's effective way to win in correct situation, but noone should play with this plan from start of the game. That's when issue starts.

    Bro the fun part of this game is the chase, everybody knows it. When i play killer, i love to chase, the action and the satisfaction when i do my job. 72 minutes a game, bro... that's not playing a game... it's a full time job. The 3 gen strat is ok. I'm fine with it. Just don't let her spawn drones every 2 seconds. I mean, it's almost impossibile to win agains her with that strat. You have to be on comm. In solo it's a massive waste of time.

  • @aurum_exe said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3494314#Comment_3494314

    Bro the fun part of this game is the chase, everybody knows it. When i play killer, i love to chase, the action and the satisfaction when i do my job. 72 minutes a game, bro... that's not a playing a game... it's a full time job. The 3 gen strat is ok. I'm fine with it. Just don't let her spawn drones every 2 seconds. I mean, it's almost impossibile to win agains her with that strat. You have to be on comm. In solo it's a massive waste of time.

    I chase with her, quite a lot...

    It's playstyle, not killer.

    I simply focus my build on passive regression (ruin, jolt) rather kicking gens.

    Blood favor, STBFL is fun too.

  • @Derix said:

    I logged into the Dead By Daylight today and my first match was a Skull Merchant trying to hold a 3-gen. I assume this is thanks to the video that Hens put up on YouTube. Behavior, what are you going to do about this killer? I stayed in this match for over 30 minutes because of this player using cheap tactics:

    1. Kick Gen
    2. Go to next gen, kick gen
    3. Rinse and repeat until you find a survivor out of position

    This is not how the game should be played. As a player who has been playing since 2019, this killer is the worst addition to the game. There is literally no skill involved on the killers end.

    On top of it all, I was the 2nd last to be downed, so of course they slugged to get a 4k, so I dc'd so the other survivor could get hatch. In my opinion, I should not receive a DC penalty because of this killer and playstyle. When the survivor bots come in, in my opinion, DC penalty should be removed, and these cheap skull merchant players can play against bots all day every day if behavior won't fix skull merchant.

    I played once like this with skull merchant but for me it was hard not easy. It was pretty decent swf I faced maybe that's why. But I had to work for the win and if I didn't play well I would lost and not gotten critical downs. So I would not say it is easy as it does require lot of patience and you have to still do right plays.

  • Just had my first game against skull merchant too, I'm amazed it has taken me this long for it to happen but it was worth it just to see the 3 gen strat in action. Everyone killed themselves on the hook. Gave me a good laugh to see how badly designed this killer is.

1 2 ›