How would you make mending less "boring"?

I would sum it up as 12 seconds of nothing, I think there is a way to spice up mending a little to make it less of a loading screen and more of a fun / passable interaction.

The first idea I have seen a lot is to decrease the mending time by X seconds.

Another idea I have seen is to give it Skill Checks, which I think would be alright.

Combining both ideas also doesn't sound that bad I must say.

But are there more?

Comments

  • The mending action could be one button press rather than keeping ahold of the button, but you're slowed down for 10 seconds by 15% until fully mended. You can cancel the action to get back to normal running speed but in doing so you lose all your mending progress and have a cooldown of 10 seconds until you can start the action again.

  • Dead by Skill Checks (Legion Edition)

  • Please no skill checks. Making something tedious and boring also require paying attention for random quick time events just makes it boring AND annoying.

    Maybe something like the wiggle bar - the mend proceeds normally if you ignore it but faster if you hit the right spots.

  • @MDRSan said:

    Please no skill checks. Making something tedious and boring also require paying attention for random quick time events just makes it boring AND annoying.

    Maybe something like the wiggle bar - the mend proceeds normally if you ignore it but faster if you hit the right spots.

    O I like this one!

  • While in Deep Wounds you are Deafened. This makes it way more scary as you really need to make sure you’re safe when you’re doing it. Also works as a buff/nerf to some other killers/perks/addons that could use them.

  • @AhoyWolf said:

    I would sum it up as 12 seconds of nothing, I think there is a way to spice up mending a little to make it less of a loading screen and more of a fun / passable interaction.

    The first idea I have seen a lot is to decrease the mending time by X seconds.

    Another idea I have seen is to give it Skill Checks, which I think would be alright.

    Combining both ideas also doesn't sound that bad I must say.

    But are there more?

    Mending is fine, people are happy to sit on a gen for 90 seconds at a time, I am sure they can handle 12.

  • I think that the only real change mending needs is for altruistic mending to be much, MUCH faster than regular mending. (1/3rd of the time, possibly)

  • It doesn’t need any changes imo. The whole point of it is to waste time. Making it faster or giving it the chance to be faster with skill checks not only defeats the purpose of it but it would be a nerf to Legion and a buff to several Endurance perks that don’t deserve it at all.

  • @Blueberry said:

    While in Deep Wounds you are Deafened. This makes it way more scary as you really need to make sure you’re safe when you’re doing it. Also works as a buff/nerf to some other killers/perks/addons that could use them.

    Deep Wounds doesn't need a buff.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I think a few changes could be made:

    • Lower mend time to 8s (was 12s) but you can no longer mend other Survivors
    • Raise the BP gain from mending to 250 (was 100)

    Legion specific add-on reworks to accommodate:

    • The Legion Pin: Inflicts Mangled when hit in Frenzy (was Broken for 60s after mending)
    • Defaced Smiley Pin: Inflicts Hemorrhage when hit in Frenzy (was Mangled after mending)
    • Smiley Face Pin: Grunts of pain are 50% louder when hit in Frenzy (was Blindness for 60s after mending)
    • Joey's Mix Tape: While using Frenzy: Gain the Undetectable status effect. Increases Killer Instinct detection range by 20 meters. Grants 100% Bonus Bloodpoints for Deep Cut Score Events
    • Never-Sleep Pills: Increases The Legion's movement speed during Feral Frenzy to 6m/s. Decreases the duration of Feral Frenzy by 5 seconds. Grants 100-500 Bonus Bloodpoints for Caffeinated Combo Score Events

    Why prevent mending other Survivors?

  • I don't think Mending is sped up when an Altruistic Mend is performed.

    If it is, it'd have to at minimum be 100% faster than normal to make up for the shared time-sink of 4s between two Survivors, plus the survivors moving together in the first place, otherwise the Survivors are wasting more time than if the Survivor solo-mended.

  • If you buff Deep Wound, you indirectly buff Legion while also indirectly nerfing Endurance. Deep Wound slows down healing. It takes 12 seconds to mend solo. Add that onto however long it takes you to heal (24 seconds with medkit, 45 seconds with self-care) and you're looking at 36 - 57 seconds spent not on a generator.

    Deep Wound is already a tedious part of the game that nobody really wants to deal with, but its existence is necessary. Adding deafened into the mix is just going to annoy survivors even more than having to mend repeatedly already does.

  • @Kaitsja said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3476436#Comment_3476436

    If you buff Deep Wound, you indirectly buff Legion while also indirectly nerfing Endurance. Deep Wound slows down healing. It takes 12 seconds to mend solo. Add that onto however long it takes you to heal (24 seconds with medkit, 45 seconds with self-care) and you're looking at 36 - 57 seconds spent not on a generator.

    Deep Wound is already a tedious part of the game that nobody really wants to deal with, but its existence is necessary. Adding deafened into the mix is just going to annoy survivors even more than having to mend repeatedly already does.

    Buffing Legion like that is good. He could use the buffs and it increases his skill cap for outplays. Nerfing Endurance is also good as it’s generally overtuned as is.

    Peoples dislike for Legion mending is generally irrational in my experience. It’s not that bad and you aren’t generally mending that often unless you’re making many mistakes.

  • @Blueberry said:

    While in Deep Wounds you are Deafened. This makes it way more scary as you really need to make sure you’re safe when you’re doing it. Also works as a buff/nerf to some other killers/perks/addons that could use them.

    Given how they removed the knock out deafness effect, I doubt they'd do this

  • @not_requested49 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3475938#Comment_3475938

    Given how they removed the knock out deafness effect, I doubt they'd do this

    The effect is still present in the game on an addon however.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3476980#Comment_3476980

    The effect is still present in the game on an addon however.

    Yeah but tbh I don't think I've ever seen a hag run that in the wild

    Come to think of it I haven't seen a hag at all recently lol, those nerfs really hurt her

  • @not_requested49 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3476991#Comment_3476991

    Yeah but tbh I don't think I've ever seen a hag run that in the wild

    Come to think of it I haven't seen a hag at all recently lol, those nerfs really hurt her

    those nerfs?? what nerfs? she only gotten buffs/indirect buffs lately with the nerfs to flashlights and healing.

    plus hag was always a rare killer people just don't like playing her as long as her kit is the same but i expect to see her a bit more when her buffed iri comes out.

  • @DEMONANCE said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3476993#Comment_3476993

    those nerfs?? what nerfs? she only gotten buffs/indirect buffs lately with the nerfs to flashlights and healing.

    plus hag was always a rare killer people just don't like playing her as long as her kit is the same but i expect to see her a bit more when her buffed iri comes out.

    The nerf that she just got which allowed survivors to be able to wipe away traps at no cost & unlimited times with no notification at all for the killer vs flashlight that has limited charge & notifies that it was removed

    That was a nerf, not a buff like they tried to make it seem

    This and MFT allowing survivors to get just out of lunge range after triggering the trap

  • @AhoyWolf said:

    I would sum it up as 12 seconds of nothing, I think there is a way to spice up mending a little to make it less of a loading screen and more of a fun / passable interaction.

    The first idea I have seen a lot is to decrease the mending time by X seconds.

    Another idea I have seen is to give it Skill Checks, which I think would be alright.

    Combining both ideas also doesn't sound that bad I must say.

    But are there more?

    Honestly....I don't think mending itself is that much of a problem, 12 seconds really isn't that bad. Legion is just boring because they apply it over and over and over again and for a number of other reasons lol