Disconnection Penalties

I am sure there is a way that the Devs can know whether or not someone went into the menu and chose to Disconnect, or if they didn't.

If someone's internet gives out, or the dbd server has a blip and disconnects people.... there is no excuse for why those people should have to suffer a disconnection penalty.

Frankly, the game should have a system in place to show whether the person disconnected by choice or by 'act of god'.

Please put 5 more minutes into development and only place punishment upon those that actually choose to disconnect.

Thank You

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • They shouldn't even put people in terrible servers in the first place. Why is 100ms normalized?

  • @jordanjustice said:

    I am sure there is a way that the Devs can know whether or not someone went into the menu and chose to Disconnect, or if they didn't.

    If someone's internet gives out, or the dbd server has a blip and disconnects people.... there is no excuse for why those people should have to suffer a disconnection penalty.

    Frankly, its just lazy development to not have a system in place to show whether the person disconnected by choice or by 'act of god'.

    Please put 5 more minutes into development and only place punishment upon those that actually choose to disconnect.

    Thank You

    Because people can then just turn off their wifi to bypass this? Its not hard to realize that lol

    "No excuse" lmao. This is the excuse right here, it would be pointless to add because everyone who DCs would just turn off their internet

  • There's no reason why, if I never even make it into the game, I should be getting a penalty. It's shoddy development. And it's happened to me twice today. Combined with how completely broken they have made the solo que, I'm happily uninstalling this mess, for my sanity.

  • @Irebal99 said:

    There's no reason why, if I never even make it into the game, I should be getting a penalty. It's shoddy development. And it's happened to me twice today. Combined with how completely broken they have made the solo que, I'm happily uninstalling this mess, for my sanity.

    Oh those survivors think they can bring me to Garden of Joy? Nope. *unplugs modem*

    Hey, BHVR, my internet went out for a second, please don't punish me!


    Yes, I know that's probably not what happened to you, but it COULD have, and they'd have no way to know the difference.


    NOW, that said, if you actually need to take a break for your sanity, then absolutely do so.

  • They are bringing bots for disconnected survivors, and I think it's something. I think the real problem is suicide on hook for no penalty.

  • @jordanjustice said:

    I am sure there is a way that the Devs can know whether or not someone went into the menu and chose to Disconnect, or if they didn't.

    If someone's internet gives out, or the dbd server has a blip and disconnects people.... there is no excuse for why those people should have to suffer a disconnection penalty.

    Frankly, its just lazy development to not have a system in place to show whether the person disconnected by choice or by 'act of god'.

    Please put 5 more minutes into development and only place punishment upon those that actually choose to disconnect.

    Thank You

    Peanits explained where the issue lies not long ago:

    @Peanits said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3444786#Comment_3444786

    Bingo. We can already tell the difference between someone hitting the disconnect button and someone crashing. The problem is if we don't treat them all the same, then it becomes exploitable. There are ways you can force a program to crash. Once word starts to spread that you can avoid the DC penalty by closing the game in a certain way, you can bet some folks will take advantage of it.

    Game crashes are uncommon enough to not have a significant effect on DC penalties, and by the time you can get back into the game, the majority of the penalty will have already passed. Whenever crash rates are increased (e.g. if something broke in an update), we disable these penalties so they don't get in the way. Network issues are a different beast, but again, they need to be treated the same. If your network connection is dropping frequently, you need to address that before playing an online game. It's not fair to expect all the other players in your match to deal with the consequences of your connection.

    To put it simple, it would get abused.

  • The problem is if we don't treat them all the same, then it becomes exploitable.

    This is actually a really good solution.

    But actually I wish the game would detect crashes or internet disconnection still, just so you could display a message on their screen saying something like:

    "We have detected the game was not properly shut down during a trial, Please make sure your system and internet connection is in working order. Continued Abnormal disconnection from trial incurs a penalty."

    I have heard stories of 100s of players who say they didn't know disconnecting trials gave a penalty, and I wish at least DBD to be upfront about this.