Devs: You wanna know how to truly shake up the META? Here it is
Actually penalize tunneling and camping on your end and stop with the whole “we want players to penalize it.” Before y’all freak, hear me out: Wanting players to penalize tunneling and camping hasn’t worked and hard tunneling and camping is still the META for killers because by their own admission “It’s the easiest and most efficient way to get a 4K.”
You guys say you don’t want people just clinging to the same perks over and over because that’s what makes the game stale right? That’s pretty much what’s happening at low and mid-tier MMR and certainly solo Q you know why? Because survivors are clinging to their chosen same old build, instead of actually having fun and experimenting with different perks and builds, because it’s the only way to keep from being tunneled and camped right out of the game in 2 minutes.
I mostly run at least the same 2-3 perks and then try to play around with a 4th if I feel I can but honestly all the matches I play are the same because the same perks are being run and every killer claims and/or believes they have to tunnel and camp just to get a win or have fun. So every match is tunnel, camp, slug, rinse repeats
So try this: Actually penalize tunneling and camping on your end. I’m not saying to ban those gameplay styles. I’m saying penalize it whether it be with loss of bloodpoints, or loss of a “merciless killer,” pips, whatever it is that the killers personally play for. Force them to try different play styles. Maybe have it be that if the killer doesn’t go a certain distance from hook after a hook, the hook timer doesn’t start. If they are in chase with the same survivor that just got unhooked within 5 -7 seconds, they get no chase BP? I don’t know, just an idea. I’m sure you have a team that can think up stuff too.
NOW to be fair to killers, this is where you come in with the survivor nerfs. This is where you hard nerf META survivor perks so that the killers actually have a shot at being successful without going against OP survivor perks. As one example, as much as I loved the self-heal aspect of COH, I think that nerf was fair. If killers are gonna be forced to lose their easiest and most efficient tactic, they have to be compensated properly for it. This means everyone has to try something different. This means everyone can play around with perks, play around with different play styles and every match isn’t tunnel, camp at 5 gens, slug, rinse repeat therefore survivors knock out gens back to back because tunnel camp slug because gen rushing etc. This is all just a horrible circle jerk of one side does this because the other side does this because the other side does this because the other side… you get the point. That’s why this game is stale and boring. I also agree with the idea of giving survivors other objectives besides gens.
For me, the most fun games I’ve had are with killer chases, the mind games, cat and mouse with trying to get that last gen popped and each side trying to mind game the other. Add to that the aspect of actually being afraid of the killer, that adds to the tension of the match.
My point is tho, as long as tunneling and camping are the chosen tactics for the majority of killers and they’re given free reign to do it, no amount of perk nerfs or buffs you try to do is going change anything. Now there are of course those killers who will always tunnel or camp no matter what. Because it’s the easiest thing to do and all they care about is winning with the least amount of challenge possible. However, I believe that a lot of killer players and survivor players out there actually want a game that’s a challenge but also fun and has a lot of variety, and I think this would be the best way to do it. Just my opinion.
Comments
About 2 weeks ago or so I read a website which stated that they found a document over on the official DBD discord which was titled tunnelling.exe or something like that (which was supposed to be hidden) So they are definitely looking into it, not too sure about camping but I'm sure it must be getting the same treatment. Whatever it is I hope it brings back some fun for both sides.
Now that I think about it though, maybe just giving a survivor 2 health states back like adrenaline does at 2nd hook, but it could also be very oppressive and sometimes killers have no choice but to tunnel, so.. yeah.
Tunneling and camping is easy to deal with.
If you are a confident and mechanical player you wont have to worry about either 2 as you are wasting the killer time in chases already
in other words
git gud
People are going to use pop instead of Pain Resonance. It's not dead perk, pain resonance was simply better.
Eruption is still good if you combine it with Nowhere to hide for extra value.
That actually is true, though. "Camping, tunneling, slugging," these terms were invented and cultivated into social taboos as a way of trying to control the way killer playstyles develop.
I've not disputed tunneling. He does not just sit there and camp people tho. You're moving the goalpost. Good day
Eruption is dead and lost 2/3 of its effect.
PR is dead and only working once per player per game is not worth it.
Pop is dead. As I've said before it used to give me 2-3 minutes of extra time and now it's more like 40 seconds per game.
The PTB notes want to nerf CoB by 75% and OC by 70%.
Is there any survivor perk you would continue to use if it lost 70% of its effect?
I saw him guard one player to death on Lerrys and you're saying it did not happen. it did.
So what I see here is punish the big bad wolf as the hunter for eating my grandma. I mean what are we going to do about survivors coming in running all sorts of Meta perks and just blasting through 5 generators in the time it takes you to find and engage one of them? I mean neither way is fun to play so it's either burn out killers with gen rush after gen rush or burn out survivors with killers who will hard tunnel and camp. Personally I endure campers and tunnelers because it is a game. I might get camped and tunneled to the end of my days one game then spin out next game and get 3 generators 2 totems and an escape. It's a flip of the coin.. I don't see an honestly fair solution to this.
They are not dead perks by any means, just because that effect can't save your gameplay, it doesn't mean it's bad.
I have been trying builds without PR and it's fine. Eruption, Jolt, Deadlock, No Way Out, Pop are still valid perks.
PR with Floods of rage too.
Pentimento can work on some killers too (with Plaything), Plague is best for it.
-"They are not dead perks by any means, just because that effect can't save your gameplay,"
Pop used to save 2-3 minutes when I used it before it got obliterated. I moved to a new perk to save me time in chase (STBFL/Bamboozle).
If you're at a point where you can afford to take a perk that reduces a generator's progress by 9 seconds or less - fine that's cool. The people I normally play against would be slowed down in no way by such regression and it would cost me games.
Playing a "weak" killer vs an efficient team is only possible if you make the enemy team need to repair about 6-8 generators as a function of time. You make them do extra repair work because gen regression works (until next patch).
You also conveniently ignore the 70% nerf question.