What motivates you to play this game? (survivors)
I'll make it clear that this isn't a rant. I played this game for 70 hours and stopped playing for like a year since a lot of things in the game felt well, undeniably silly imo sometimes. I played the game recently once again and immediately reminded me why I stopped this game. Clearly, this game is no longer for me so I'm ready to move on.
But before leaving, I'm genuinely curious about what makes you continue playing the game. Especially if you are a survivor. What drives you? The Killer's motivation is obvious because it's about killing other players. It's the exact same reason why people play PVP games. It just feels good to finesse others (more than welcome to share if you have other reasons).
But what about survivors? This game was never scary ever since I started and I assume everyone else feels the same way. So, I don't think the reason is that it's thrilling. Is it because of collaborated characters? Skins? Survivor is a very, gambling role to me if that makes sense. You are highly dependent on other players. No guarantee to escape no matter how good you are. Not as cathartic gameplay as Killers most of the time. What are your thoughts? :)
Comments
This game was never scary ever since I started and I assume everyone else feels the same way. So, I don't think the reason is that it's thrilling. Is it because of collaborated characters? Skins? Survivor is a very, gambling role to me if that makes sense. You are highly dependent on other players. No guarantee to escape no matter how good you are. Not as cathartic gameplay as Killers most of the time.Survivor main: play because it is thrilling (though not scary).
I'm older than a lot of the player base having been playing video games since the Atari, online games for almost 25 years. No game has ever matched the tension I feel when playing as a survivor. Some of the things you mention are what makes it thrilling. I don't control the other players. There are lots of elements of the game that are random. It's not necessarily fair.
It has just enough theming elements to make me care while still focusing on the gameplay.
From the start of the game there is so much you don't know. What killer is it? Is he coming at my gen or someone else's? If I get hooked will the other survivors try and save me or not?
The biggest element though, a win can be turned into a loss at a moment's notice.
I almost never feel 'safe' until I've escaped. I was just playing against a ghost face that got me exposed as I was running toward the exit gate and dropped me a meter before I was out.
Other games rarely match this feeling. It's usually pretty obvious by the mid-point (if not earlier) which team will win. As survivor there is always the possibility that even if the 'team' wins you won't.
As killer, I don't really get any of that. Killers plays like a lot of other online games, I know relatively quickly what sort of game its going to be. If I get a 4k, okay, if they all get out, no problem. The worst games are as killers were you are way better than the survivors, then it just feels like a chore.
I enjoy playing it. There's not some super deep and secret reason, it's a game I enjoy playing
The fact that I couldn't care less if I escape probably helps a lot. I'm the kind of survivor that, unless it is literally hopeless to save someone (Bubba camping in the basement for example), will always do their best to get everyone out alive. It's also a pretty simple game with many little side things to master, which is nice.
It's also really nice that every game is it's own independent game that doesn't last very long. It's not like playing a single player game or whatever where you need to sink a lot of time into it. I get in, play a 15ish minute match, and get out. If that match went poorly, whatever.
There are many reasons. I must say that winning in solo is quite difficult, so if you want to win, then every match is a challenge. You need to imagine the positioning of your teammates in your head, correct them and your mistakes, it's very nice to see teamplay in solo matches, when your solo q teammates can do something more than pressing M1 on the generator. It's nice to see the right decisions from them and to make them yourself, to analyze how you could have done the right thing. And yes, there are matches when you play 1 vs 3 vs 1, when it doesn't make sense to try. But when I see the killer is sweating and my team has a chance to win, why shouldn't I sweat too? There are many different killers to verse, many different builds with which you can play some specific role or just have fun. The most interesting thing is probably the chase. It feels good when you outplay mindgame, use checkspots, choose pathing, improve your looping skill and everything related to chase. I’m sure there are more reasons but that's the first things that came to my mind.
Honestly I only play during Rifts & events because I'm a cosmetic hoarder even tho i always use the same ones lmao
Me and my friends have the most fun on this game rn. Sometimes games suck but you gotta learn to laugh at things and not go in with the win every game mindset
the moments in vc where I go "omg don't make me laugh - I can't see where I'm going" (I'm one of those high dpi people) because of some really silly things. The "I'm grass. You don't see me. trust." / " Hiding in plain sight. corn is op. trust" moments.- That in juxtraposition with the tense moments of "omfg I'm death hook and why tf has the killer a sixth sense and is heading straight to meeeeeeeee?!"/"I'm dead, I'm so dead. so dead."
It's the up and down of sweat and goofiness --- and never knowing what you get on the killer side (personally, I 100% prefer goofy).
That being said though, these things are fun in the very beginning when no one knows what they are doing --- and then several hundred hours in when you know what you're doing and know how to make things fun even in the face of a very unfun killer to verse or a generally ######### situation. (It doesn't work all the time - but often enough to make it worth it. kinda.)
From a killer main who plays both sides (ratio varys from season to season, right now 90/10, used to be 50/50), I'm struggling to motivate myself to play survivor because I find it mostly unfun (was even moreso with the last meta) - but bp incentives talk, and so do dailies and tome challenges (which, I currently have none, every survivor tome challenge is done). But survivor isn't something I like to grind more than a few matches before I switch over or stop playing for the day.
As a survivor I find enjoyment making dumb builds that miraculously work, (don't get me wrong, sometimes meta builds are fun but I purposely try to find perks that people don't see as much, and when you get value from them... It's amazing) but one thing that makes me love survivor more than anything is that, in this game dying and sacrificing yourself for your team, the strategy is so unique that you just can't think of yourself, sometimes you HAVE to take some initiative... if the trial has to continue with someone on the hook that just want you have to pay because the bottom line is that: there's 4 of you and 1 of him... I think the survivors can take one kill ya know
I play survivor to relax. I just like to get generators done and there's something comforting with the routine of it all. And finally, to hang out with friends. We're not high-level or anything and being a killer main myself, I don't do anything rash to get them angry for no reason. After all, it's a video game and these are supposed to be fun for all.
What about survivor?
Friend
Friend when I want to play casually and when I don't want to be in an hardcore mood
But, In SoloQ... Just trying to survive and winning, I got better when I have nobody to count off