Why are add-ons rarities so weird

Like, why do so many killers get add-ons like this:

Your power is better by 15%- Brown

Blindness status effect- Green

What, why there so many killers whose best add-ons are browns and yellows because they actually change your power. And then they get really weird and meme stuff for greens, purple and even iris

Comments

  • If I had to guess, it would be their way of balancing the killer or something because I play a killer with like 3 good addons, and the rest are filler. I am definitely jealous of blights with how most of their addons are beneficial and actually good all around like there are 3 bad add-ons.

  • If your killer has an addon that you feel is necessary to have fun with them, wouldn't you prefer that addon be brown or yellow? I know I would.

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    If your killer has an addon that you feel is necessary to have fun with them, wouldn't you prefer that addon be brown or yellow? I know I would.

    I'd rather that addon be basekit tbh

  • Rarity =/= strength

    Half of the iri addons in the game are mediocre at best.

  • Facts.

    Why? I don’t think they have a good understanding of what makes something “good or “bad” in the game. They need a group of experienced players with NDA’s to bounce their ideas off before commuting so much development time.

    I do think rarities should “generally speaking” match power levels. If I can tell I’m going against a four man swf and want to bring the strongest addons that should be Iri addons in most cases, in my opinion. That is not the case on almost any killer bar like maybe 3.

  • I honestly think addons should be turned into something like true personal perks.

    Integrade %-stat boosting addons into basekit, more transformive addons ( Myers' mirrors etc) into alternate abilities ( like survivor items) and turn the rest of the addons into something more like perks.

    Although this concept might not mesh well with the current consumable and rarity system. But as it stands now stat boosters will always be prefered to other "meme" addons.

  • Well sure, but the people in charge of killer designs love having QoL addons for every killer. They're going to accidentally make ones that are too necessary.

    I'd rather those end up as brown or yellow instead of purple like Infantry Belt is.

    Would it be better if every add on was more transformative? Sure, but I don't think that'll happen.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I’d rather my killers be cheap to kit out than someone like Oni, whose addons aren’t good until green and even then, his purples are an entire league better.

    His yellows aren't bad either.

    @topic my guess is they wanted to most of the simple power boosting addons be easy to get.

  • For me, I can live with Trapper able to carry 1 trap IF honing stone is Brown or Yellow addon.

    I feel killers should be addon reliant, but addons are far stronger. So they would make Killers really strong at some aspects but weak at something else to play around.

  • @Blueberry said:

    Facts.

    Why? I don’t think they have a good understanding of what makes something “good or “bad” in the game. They need a group of experienced players with NDA’s to bounce their ideas off before commuting so much development time.

    I do think rarities should “generally speaking” match power levels. If I can tell I’m going against a four man swf and want to bring the strongest addons that should be Iri addons in most cases, in my opinion. That is not the case on almost any killer bar like maybe 3.

    i doubt that. they do know what add-on desirable. they just limit the good effects to brown or yellow to limit the power level of the add-on for lower %. for example, spirit used to have 5 speed add-on's, 1 speed add-on for each rarity. Yakuyoke amulet used to have 3 effects. I believe the 3 effects were 1 second extra phase time, 10% extra speed and 20% activation lower activation time. Lower activation time was removed, 10% extra speed was removed and duration was increased from 1 second to 3.5 second with drawback that reduces spirit speed by -15%. this was her very first nerf. her second nerf removed her green shoes(forgot the name). it used to increase her speed by 15%.

    Now her best speed add-on is a yellow muddy sport day cap add-on that increases speed by 10%. Moral of the story, the killer with no high rarity add-on's in stats are kinda like pre-nerfed killers. they don't want those killers to be strong, so they often limit their base-kit heavily and throw in some mandatory add-on for the scraps.

    If survivor really hate the killer, then killer has 0 relevant add-on's and often a terrible base-kit(See freddy for reference). it all depends on how much the survivor dev favor or dislike the killer. that is what it seems like with killer add-on lists.

  • @BlueHorkew said:

    Like, why do so many killers get add-ons like this:

    Your power is better by 15%- Brown

    Blindness status effect- Green

    What, why there so many killers whose best add-ons are browns and yellows because they actually change your power. And then they get really weird and meme stuff for greens, purple and even iris

    because if the best stuff is common and the rare stuff is memes then you're more likely going to get your sweat build items before getting your meme build items.

  • @Raptorrotas said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3361323#Comment_3361323

    I honestly think addons should be turned into something like true personal perks.

    Integrade %-stat boosting addons into basekit, more transformive addons ( Myers' mirrors etc) into alternate abilities ( like survivor items) and turn the rest of the addons into something more like perks.

    Although this concept might not mesh well with the current consumable and rarity system. But as it stands now stat boosters will always be prefered to other "meme" addons.

    i disagree with this, but i appreciate the effort you put into typing it.