An Idea To Reduce "Im Facing The Same Killer Over And Over"

Some people suggested that BHVR should add some sort of system to ban or not face certain Killers (a "blacklist") to prevent people from getting the same Killers over and over, however such a system can and will be abused and on top of that will just lead to extremely long matchmaking times for Killers that are generally disliked like Nurse.

My solution is making it so you cannot matchmake with someone using the same Killer as the last Killer you faced, which will at least help in providing Killer variety for Survivors without heavily extended the matchmaking time for certain Killers. And since we already have a decent amount of Killers to play anyways (with the amount increasing every Chapter Release), the likelihood of matchmaking taking longer with this system decreases.

To prevent Servers from being clogged with too much information, if the game closes or is crashed, this system immediately resets and pends for a match to see what Killer to not get. This system does not apply to Custom Matchmaking either. This will help prevent people from potentially abusing this system.

EDIT: Nowhere did I claim this was a perfect solution, I just wanted to point out how dumb the "blacklist" system is and how this could be a better system compared to it. Obviously there are going to be better solutions, and a single change is not going to fix anything. If BHVR wants to solve the variety issue, they are going to have to do a lot of buffing and nerfing, as well as other things to incentivize more variety in matches (for both sides).

Comments

  • How about, you know, making killers other than Nurse, Blight and Artist viable so they can be used more often at high MMR?

  • @GlamourousLeviathan said:

    How about, you know, making killers other than Nurse, Blight and Artist viable so they can be used more often at high MMR?

    That is another solution but you can never really buff certain Killers to be a 1 to 1 in strength, I feel like people often for forget that. Also I just wanted to point out how dumb the "blacklist" idea is and how there could be a better system that doesnt shaft certain Killers.

  • Buffing weaker killers aside...

    Matchmaking incentives worked really well. How about incentives to play lesser-played killers ?

    (Absolutely not a ploy to get more points as a Hag main, what are you talking about !)

  • It'd break down every time there's a new Killer released or a big update to one of them. Everyone that wants to see what the new thing is like would get caught in matchmaking hell.

  • @HugTheHag said:

    Buffing weaker killers aside...

    Matchmaking incentives worked really well. How about incentives to play lesser-played killers ?

    (Absolutely not a ploy to get more points as a Hag main, what are you talking about !)

    That is another solution I thought about however Im not sure how BHVR would distribute BP Bonuses from that with Matchmaking Incentives. I mean it would heavily reduce the grind but part of me feels like BHVR would shaft MMI in the process, so I was afraid to put it.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    It'd break down every time there's a new Killer released or a big update to one of them. Everyone that wants to see what the new thing is like would get caught in matchmaking hell.

    That is one downside, but to be fair PTBs and Chapter Releases are already Matchmaking Hell.

    When Knight released I had to wait 2+ hours in my Region to find a match, it was painful.

  • @Iron_Cutlass said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3324599#Comment_3324599

    That is another solution but you can never really buff certain Killers to be a 1 to 1 in strength, I feel like people often for forget that. Also I just wanted to point out how dumb the "blacklist" idea is and how there could be a better system that doesnt shaft certain Killers.

    There is a difference between "oh this killer is stronger than that, but that killer is also viable and I can have a great time playing it" and "this killer is viable and that one isn't, so if I choose that one I will have a miserable time against decent survivors". I don't want Myers to be 1=1 Nurse, but I want it to be able to at least win against high mid tier SWFs.

  • @GlamourousLeviathan said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3324602#Comment_3324602

    There is a difference between "oh this killer is stronger than that, but that killer is also viable and I can have a great time playing it" and "this killer is viable and that one isn't, so if I choose that one I will have a miserable time against decent survivors". I don't want Myers to be 1=1 Nurse, but I want it to be able to at least win against high mid tier SWFs.

    Yes but it isnt going to change the fact that people will play the strongest Killers because they are the strongest. (Almost) everyone wants the best chances of winning, it's why we have a meta in the first place, nothing will change about people using Nurse, Blight, and Spirit every game if either they arent nerfed or/and other Killers are heavily buffed. But in my opinion something like this will never really happen, look at how Billy got gutted all those years ago compared to Nurse's nerf, it's a prime example.

    Which overall has lead to this issue where some players deal with these Killers over and over, there are a number of different solutions but if someone cares about winning, they probably dont care about BP because they only run meta, so you got to tackle things from the sources. I dont think there is a "perfect way" of dealing with this as an unfortunate byproduct, but there are definitely better solutions than what Ive seen people suggest, or hell, than what I even suggested.

    I cant say for myself that I have had to deal with the same Killers over and over, but some Regions have more competitive players than others (EU and Asia/Oceanic most notably), and time of day is also important as well, so it could be more common than I give it credit for, or even less common, who knows.

  • @GlamourousLeviathan said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3324602#Comment_3324602

    There is a difference between "oh this killer is stronger than that, but that killer is also viable and I can have a great time playing it" and "this killer is viable and that one isn't, so if I choose that one I will have a miserable time against decent survivors". I don't want Myers to be 1=1 Nurse, but I want it to be able to at least win against high mid tier SWFs.

    I feel one of the issues is that your killers mmr is always kept within a certain range. I can't currently have a chill twins/deathslinger game because my mmr is so high. Every time I play a weaker killer I have to resort to cheap tactics like tunneling or face camping to secure kills. Or I just commit myself to a 0k by playing "fair". E.g. hauling ass away from hook after hooking a surv, avoiding tunneling etc.