what's wrong with the profanity filter?
i mean, why are words like "killing" being censored? in a game about killing/murdering/sacrificing?
is that really necessary?
i mean, why are words like "killing" being censored? in a game about killing/murdering/sacrificing?
is that really necessary?
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
The game pits a ####### vs. four Survivors in a match to the #######. When selecting a ######## its helpful to understand their unique perks and abilities. At the main screen, you can choose to play as a ######## or Survivor. Lol.
IIRC, the censor is AI operated.
Except without the 'I'.
The AI is what I call a "not so smart" filter.
Like SWtOR does a similar thing. My main Republic character is ############ of the Jedi Order. Also, our weekly ops runs will be on #########. If you are playing a Gunslinger, I think the ############ spec is best.
However, DBD takes a it step further in the weird direction with how it will extend the censor to other words. Like you can't say the names of Legion... So I can say I'm a Legion main, but if I try to name the individual member of The Legion I prefer, it's censored. Like, at least with SWtOR I can tell you WHY the 'not so smart' censor is censoring the above words (or even better, turn off the filter so that I can say Bar'sen'thor, Saturdays, and Sharpshooter with no issues. Course, YOU might not see them) but DBD I swear there is no rhyme or reason sometimes.
There should really be an option to turn it off.
I think they ultimately did it not so much because of the proliferation of profanity, but more because of other abuse. I can tell you from my own experience with DBD since 2018 that I have been called pretty much every name in the book, called pretty much every ethnic slur you've heard and a few that you may not have. I've been advised to commit suicide on several occasions. I had one yahoo ask me for my address so that they could 'come and empty a clip into you IRL'......that dude doesn't play DBD anymore, let's just put it that way. ;)
So yeah, the filter is a pain. But trust me, it was for a good cause. :)