Steam Reviews
Just to be clear, I'm not asking people to amend their steam reviews. I saw a post in another thread where someone mentioned people should because of the time-limited cosmetics and it got me thinking.
DBD is an online game which is constantly changing and being updated with new features, characters as well as tweaks to existing items, perks and characters. It isn't the same game it was when it released 6 years ago or even a year ago.
Should a game like DBD be reviewed every year to keep up with the changes? It might have been a 9 in 2017, but a 6 now? Or it might have been a 6 in 2017, but a 9 now?
How would you rate DBD currently and how is it different to your original review?
For me personally
2018: 9
- The uniqueness of the game drew me in instantly. I loved the gritty feel of the game and as a huge horror fan was blown away by the variety of characters I could play as. It was genuinely scary to play at times and the fear of being seen by the killer made it so tense and fun. I didn't think too seriously about perks and builds because it was all new to me, I just simply played to have fun and tried to and escape.
2022: 6.5
- I still love this game at it's core. 4 v 1, try and escape or try and kill the survivors. It's uniqueness still holds up, but the gritty horror feel isn't there anymore. Through the years I have found a lot of fun in trying new perk builds and thinking of new ways to play the game, but the frequent changes to perks and killers I loved often left me feeling disappointed they'd taken something away from me. Old Billy and Freddy for example.
Also I would have expected to see a new game mode by now, playing the same game for 6 years is getting stale and instead of innovating they've focused on trying to squeeze as much money out of fans as possible via cosmetics and chapters.
The introduction of challenges was appreciated but in reality they often cause players to work against each other and play selfishly to achieve a solo goal.
All in all I do enjoy the game still, but I'd be lying if I said it's better than it was when I first started playing. Although I haven't mentioned them, the score I gave also reflects the grind the game has to offer as well as frequency of bugs. It's not something I can ignore but equally it's not worth going into detail because we all know what it's like.
Comments
Positive. That's the review I give on Steam. I put in thousands of hours into this game so I wouldn't change it now. I got my fun out of it.
I've put money and time into this game so I feel like I've got my moneys worth. Gave a positive review a long time ago. The game has changed but everything changes with time.
I'm not an entitled person so a time limited marketing campaign doesn't effect me. If I like something I'll buy it, if not, I don't. Pretty simple.
It has certainly lost the horror aesthetic that I originally fell in love with.
The gameplay is more fair. The new player experience is probably the best it's ever been. There's less bullshit mechanics in the game.
Feels more commercialized though. More corporate. Feels like everything is about monetization, maybe it always was and I was just blind to it.
I would still give it a positive rating
If something drastic changes that i don't like i would change it
I would not change it to a negative review because of things like limited outfits
No matter how shady it may be that has nothing to do with how good the game is.
Reviewbombing the game based of a decision that 95% of the company didn't have a part in is just as shady as fomo practices
That would be akin to a mcdonalds employee spitting in the burgers and instead of trying that get that one employee fired you try to take down the whole company
This is a fair summary ๐
I'd still give it a positive rating, but I had a lot more fun in 2018-2020. There are fewer BS things now, but there were also less things that locked you out of your objective on either side. This current gen kick meta is awful.
I've been playing for 2 years and am overall happy. I got the game for 50% off and haven't put alot of money into it during that time (few DLCs when on sale, plus some cosmetics for my main), so I've definitely gotten my monies worth as far as I'm concerned. I haven't been playing as long as alot of other people have, but the game has still gone through its share of changes since i started. Some changes I agreed with, some I didn't, but nothing that's really prevented me from playing whenever I feel like it or ever given me a desire to quit. Certainly not seasonal cosmetics at any rate. So my review would still be positive.