Just how are you supposed to learn a new killer???

So i thought I would try and play a killer i've not played before and i chose pyramid head.

now i know there is going to be a learning curve to the killer and ive played around 4 games with him in the past about a year ago but i was not ready for what i was about to come against.

Given that we were told that each killer has its own MMR rating I was put against stupidly good players who were very coordinated. by time all the gens had finished i didn't have a single hook.

I've now played 4 games as pyramid head and i can safely say that I will never touch him again because this matchmaking system is determind to put me against the best of the best survivors.

How can you (the devs of the game) justify having this sort of matchmaking system that pits new/returning killers against such high level survivors?

I've read that it takes 5 - 10 games to figure out where your MMR level should be but there is no way i'm putting myself through any more horrendous games with that killer just so that i can get some easier (and probably not easier) games.

It makes no sence as to why you wouldnt match players who are just picking up a killer to less experienced survivors.

Ideally what would happen is you play a killer you haven't played before. Your matched against relativly new surviors (not brand new but fairly new) and you have new killers gain more MMR for 4ks as its clear its to easy.

Now I have 4 killers I am fairly decent at (that being ghostface, clown, nemisis and dredge) so i'm content to stick with those killers ongoing but if i was a brand new player to DBD and i wanted to try out all the killers I think i would just request a refund for the game as its clear that the "mmr" matchmaking is non existant.

P.S. I have easier games on my main killers so clearly something is messed up with this system...

Comments

  • Good news! there's bots coming to Custom Games this Tuesday! Once live, you can just fill your whole lobby with bots to practice to your heart's content.

  • "JUST HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO LEARN A NEW KILLER???"

    Painfully.

  • The thing is if they haven't given the bots brains since PTB then your not gonna be able to practice anything. The bots just edge map and if you get them on any T wall they just crouch at the edge. The moment u go from bots to real players your gonna get your ass handed to you.

  • Bots will help you after Nov 22.

    But for now I agree, any new killer that you just brought is going to get the "highest mmr" you currently have with any other killer.

    And it's not right if you ask me... It's like you have to endure the most insane players that you ever had on this account just to learn a new killer. -_-

  • Best best to learn is in Costume match this coming Tuesday.

    But I been there and it sucks.

  • By playing against bots in custom games, coming incredibly soon.

    And with Pyramid Head, by reading this helpful guide

    @GoodBoyKaru said:

    So a few attentive people may recognise this from a comment I made yesterday (technically it was 24 minutes into today but let's not talk semantics). A couple of people suggested I make it a real post because "That's an excellent guide, very well put together." So, here I am. I've added a few more things so it's still worth a read.

    This will cover what is, in my opinion, his best build and why, as well as a few tips on playing him & a few videos.

    So hey, it's me- GoodBoyKaru, your friendly neighbourhood Pyramid Head main- here to give some swift Tips and Tricks(tm) to help make you a better Pyramid Head player!

    For the record, this was made during DBD Patch 4.7.2

    Build

    PERKS

    My personal favourite and imho strongest build is this:

    • Corrupt Intervention

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/5A01IV8RME2M/image.png

    Crucial early-game slowdown on a killer without mobility, allows him to stall the game massively because survivors know that if they get found they're doomed.

    • Pop Goes The Weasel

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/FHA7ZFNAKVZY/image.png

    It's the second best gen regression perk in the game, Ruin is too volatile to be anywhere near reliable on him because, again, no movement speed, he needs gen perks because he cannot move around the map quick enough, 11/10. "But you don't hook pe-" WRONG. You should be getting plenty of value out of PGTW and if you're overcaging then you're taking your map pressure and throwing it out the window.

    • Barbeque and Chili

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/SC8THLXSY3RP/image.png

    Now, you could obviously put other perks here like Infectious Fright (amazing snowball), Tinkerer (Undetectable is nice and it helps tell you where to go but again no movement speed) or Discordance (amazing info, can sometimes do nothing about it). However I say BBQ because I like the perk and also because bloodpoints.

    • I'm All Ears

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/V90CSL0I44NO/image.png

    Hands down the best perk in the game for Pyramid Head, that's six seconds of wallhacks. I cannot stress how valuable this is with his power- that is a guaranteed free hit in 9/10 situations. To show what I mean, I've linked a timestamped video below of where IAE comes in so clutch- continues to 5:16 in the video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs4rvkppqs&t=296s

    (you can watch the whole thing if you really want I'm proud of the game).

    An honourable mention here goes to Ruin/Undying over Pop/Corrupt. As I've mentioned before, Tinkerer isn't a great perk on him due to his lack of speed, but the same goes for Ruin/Undying. You don't have the map mobility to defend your totems, especially if they spawn further away, and you'll probably end up losing two perks before 2 gens go. Corrupt/Pop is just more consistent in my experience.

    ADD-ONS

    So, his add-ons aren't great. The best ones, by far, are range add-ons which, when combined, extend his POTD by up to 2.5m (10.5m total). These are Burning Man Painting (Rare), Wax Doll (Uncommon), and Black Strap (Common), which ass +1.5m, +1m, and +0.5m respectively.

    tips

    Okay so rule number one is to not break pallets. Sounds weird but, just trust me.

    His power is incredibly strong in a chase- so much so that if a survivor commits to an animation they die. If you don't break pallets (with some exceptions like God pallets) you can do amazing things. Because who doesn't want more opportunities to win a chase, like, instantly? It turns incredibly safe pallets into death sentences

    To show what I mean, here's another timestamped clip. Ends at 10:58

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu3X5o9GpjY&t=646s

    Learn the range of the power. 8m is specific and sometimes you think you can hit things and you can't. You need to be very careful, especially when playing with range add-ons for so long, because it can and will screw with your perception.

    Adapt to the survivors you're facing. A lot of players will fake taking an animation, go to the side slightly to bait your POTD or your cancel, and then commit to the animation. If you turn to the side and release, you'll catch a lot of these survivors out and get a hit. It's really satisfying to do. Alternatively some survivors will commit to the animations regardless, in which case you'll know to aim in the centre. Other survivors will just hold W and pre-drop pallets, in which case you know to leave them because you'll really struggle catching up, or do not use your power.

    I cannot stress that enough. If a survivor is pre-dropping W key gaming, do not use your power. M1 killer them.

    Don't overcage and don't stress about torment. If a survivor loops you, they'll get tormented. That's just kinda how it works- you stick your knife in, follow them around a loop, and release your POTD after tracking their movements.

    To see what I mean we return to the first video, again timestamped. Clip ends at 1:36.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs4rvkppqs&t=83s

    See how I hug the car, turn the camera and use the power to hit him out of animation lock? Had he kept running, easy torment too.

    In my opinion, only cage someone in one of four scenarios:

    • You're afraid of a DS (just please don't tunnel I'm begging you)
    • You're afraid of an Unbreakable (much more likely)
    • You can immidiately get into another chase
    • It would place you into a Pressure Point Of No Return (name pending).

    What I mean by that last point is that there comes a time in a DBD game where the killer will hit a Pressure Point Of No Return, where the survivors physically cannot come back from the amount of pressure and momentum you're building. The best example of this as Pyramid Head is where you split the map through cages. You have two downed survivors. Cage one, hook the other. Nobody is on a generator, you have a BBQ proc to interrupt the person saving the cage or the hook, and now the last person must save both people. On especially large maps, like Mother's Dwelling, or multi-storied ones, like Midwich, this can force people into second stage and you've won the game at 5 gens. It's more common than you'd think.

    If you cage at other times you're probably wasting pressure you could've gotten from a hook.

    Learn where you can and can't lay trails. In front of totems and lockers? Amazing. In front of a gen? Not at all, it becomes a Restricted Trail Element and disappears after a few seconds. The DBD Wiki has a section on this which I'll just paste below.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/2808XTGCLSHV/image.png

    I'd highly, highly suggest reading the wiki page on his power as it's really useful in understanding the fundamentals and giving actual values to words. Here it is:

    https://deadbydaylight.fandom.com/wiki/Pyramid_Head

    Finally, learn where you can and can't use POTD. It sounds like a simple thing but learning where you can and can't use it, however there's a lot to it. For example, learning how vertical changes affect it. Did you know if you release his power on a slope going up it'll fail, same with releasing it on a slope going down. However, if you're barely off of the slope it'll travel down it, but only if it isn't too steep.

    It's nuts but knowing where you can and can't actually have an ability is, funnily enough, pretty important.

    A few more quick-fire tips:

    • Don't just go for animation lock shots. People expect these and adapt. Be unpredictable to catch them off guard and get easy hits. Like this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U1k10I-zG4&feature=emb_logo

    Bet they didn't expect that one :p

    Needless to say that was where I hit a Pressure Point Of No Return and poor Jakey couldn't pick up the scraps.

    • Don't spam his power. You waste too much time. Be precise, predict, and adapt to your opponents.
    • Don't spam his trails. You move at 110% and you already lack a movement ability, you waste too much time.
    • Tunneling isn't the best strategy. I know it seems like it because cages but again, you do not have a movement ability. Survivors can and will facefuck generators and ruin your day substantially.
    • Dead Dawg Saloon and Hawkins are both maps you never press M2 on ever. Play like a default M1 killer because the map design prevents you from using your power. They're pretty much auto-loss maps, ngl, unless the survivors really badly mess up.
    • Play survivor. Learn where survivors move and how they path, shoot POTD to hit them. That's what I did in that last clip.

    And, yeah, that's about it. If people have any questions please let me know and I'll try to answer them as best I can, though I think this is comprehensive enough.


  • You lose until you get a game where you can actually play. Then you try to use your killer's power and keep losing until you get the gist of it and start winning pretty much every single match until the game puts you in an appropriate MMR bracket. If you really want to learn a killer, don't rely on strong perks at first.

  • Apparently MMR for each killer is based on your highest killer MMR. It puts you like 200 rating below your highest killer I think I read somewhere.

  • Don't play killer on a weekend evening, period. You only get sweaty SWFs because that's the only people playing.

    If you see that Killer has +100% BP incentive, stay away from it.

  • Play customs with bots next tuesday!

  • @Lost_Boy said:

    Apparently MMR for each killer is based on your highest killer MMR. It puts you like 200 rating below your highest killer I think I read somewhere.

    This, though the actual numbers weren’t officially confirmed (when the devs explained it they used just some numbers to get their point clearer - we did never get actual numbers regarding the MMR system)

    that’s only the starting point though, from there on every killer should get a unique MMR, the first matches having greater impact to find the ‚desired‘ mmr quicker

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    Good news! there's bots coming to Custom Games this Tuesday! Once live, you can just fill your whole lobby with bots to practice to your heart's content.

    Yes! I played with bots a lot during the PTB and it got me more comfortable with multiple Killers including Blight and Wesker. Excited they are coming back.

  • I mean. it makes it more difficult to start learning a new killer, but it doesn't make it impossible. Nowhere near impossible. I've taught myself a few new killers after only playing as Pinhead, up to prestige 9; now I also know how to play Plague, Spirit, Wraith and Doctor. It's doable, don't expect to win. Hell, when I first started playing DBD it isn't like I was winning at all while learning Pinhead. So, yeah, I don't get the issue.

  • The bots aint gonna be a 1 to 1 mirror to players ofc, but you can still use the opportunity to get an base understanding how some killers powers are played best.


    Aside from the corner tiles, bots are actually quite good at looping. which is like the main aspect to learn about a killers power. When you get it down at the loops, you will be good with the power anywhere.


    i suggest to play pvp matches in online lobbys at the evenings. You'll have a mix up between casuals and sweathards swf teams. And practice with bots during night time at the weekends for example, when theres sweats anywhere.

  • I’m gonna go against the grain here and say DO NOT go against bots to practice, especially as Pyramid Head. They behave vastly differently from human players and the habits and techniques you’ll adopt going against them are completely different from the habits and techniques you should be using against human opponents.