I was wrong, Self Care was nerfed too much

What I said in this post:

@Leonardo1ita said:

Before anyone says anything: yeah, Circle of healing is still busted, it should be nerfed because it simply makes killers like Hag and Trapper and Wraith almost unplayable, and all killers that can be bodyblocked almost forced to use Forced penance, or pray it's not a coordinated team that abuses the perk to its full potential.

Also green and purple medkits are still busted, even tho after the botany and self care nerf they're not as busted, even if still very strong. Also they're supposed to be the equivalent of the killer's power and add-ons, so of course the MUST be stronger than perks.

So, I'm gonna try to explain why self care NEEDED to get nerfed, using math and an example of a real game situation I had before the nerf.

First: all resources on the map at some point fun out:

  • Medkits, especially after the Botany and Self care nerf, run out of charges.
  • Totems for Inner healing are 5 max on the map.
  • Even Circle of Healing, with Shattered Hope, can run out ( and backfire if the killer also has Pentimento)

Self care never runs out, it's infinite and doesn't have any diminishing returns.

In terms of math, it was as efficient as another person healing you, even with Mangled.

Even if the time efficiency seemed the same, actually it was not, because other than having other advantages I'll describe later, it allowed and allows the other survivors doing the gens while you were self caring to get the progress EARLY, and stay separated.

But what were all the advantages of self care? Recapped, Self care gave the advantage of:

  1. Staying separated and always have the same efficiency on gens.
  2. Letting teammates concentrate on gens instead of healing
  3. Staying separated also means that it's not as bad as if the killer interrupts both of you.
  4. You can heal immediately, and compared to inner healing have no travel time between searching a totem that could be super far away, cleansing it, going in and out of a locker, and then going to a gen.
  5. It cannot be snuffed or countered by Shattered Hope
  6. It never runs out, compared to medkits.
  7. It gave items efficiency.

Now, the question that you might wonder is:

Why did it need to get nerfed?

I'll explain why the nerf is right, independently by how strong Circle of Healing now is, giving a real in game example:

I used to also think that self care, especially if the killer is running Sloppy Butcher, was not really that good, because I thought "40 seconds to heal is a long time, it's a trash perk!". (Then I started using self care much more as survivor, and started to notice how it was much more consistent than inner healing, and a consistent perk overall.)

Now the example is: I was playing Wraith before the patch with Coxcombed Clapper, Blind Warrior -White (mangled add-on), Shattered Hope, Pentimento, Call of Brine, Franklin's.

I was doing hit and run, burning all the resources on the map, and keeping all survivors injured, with a build specifically designed to counter circle of healing, Inner Healing, Medkits, and basically BURN all the possible survivors options to heal.

I did always the same thing: approach stealthily, do stealth attack with Coxcombed Clapper, and apply the Mangled+Hemorrhage add-on, and kick the gen with Call of Brine. Repeat until everyone is injured, midwhile break pallets, until the team falls apart.

They didn't have Medkits, only one brown that I slapped off with Franklin's.

After I hit the third survivor, and kicked the gen, the first survivor I hit had already healed, even if the map was very big (Eyrie of Crows), and there was no teammate close.

The other 2 injured were healing together, and I knew because I saw them after they healed at shack. I didn't chase them at shack because I needed to injure everyone first, and wasting pallets at that moment was not smart.

After the first survivor, Kate, was healthy again, the gen main building popped already by Mikaela.

In that moment I was shocked, I wondered how it was possible that the healed so fast and they got a gen already! I was genuinely convinced that Kate found Mikaela and healed her.

That was not the case: what happened, and Kate told me at the end of the match, is that Kate self cared in a map corner for 40 seconds 3 times, and I was surprised even if I knew it had to be self care.

In the end I lost that match because you simply cannot chase in Eyrie of Crows with Wraith, and you HAVE to hit and run, but that Kate basically destroyed all my pressure every time.

So, from the point of the killer, 40 (- the great skillckecks saved time) seconds felt VERY fast, and I was genuinely sweating because I was not understanding what I did wrong, and how it could be that fast!

This is why self care HAD to be nerfed: because even if you constantly hit people, in terms of math it would be a super convenient perk, that would make you lose all your pressure slowly but surely.

Now, after the nerf, self caring mangled takes 56 seconds instead of 40, so 16 more seconds, and so even a bigger chance of getting interrupted.

Now self care isn't a no brainer anymore, you need to think if it's actually worth investing the time or if it's better to find a teammate to avoid the efficiency penalty.

They could have nerfed it in another way, like give it limited heals, but I think maybe this is even more interesting, IF Circle of Healing gets nerfed.

Edit: also, consider that hitting healing great skillckecks gives you a 5%, and not a 1% as on gens. 5% of 45 is 2,25 seconds.

This means that, since usually 3/4, or sometimes even 5 skillckecks appear, you can reduce the timer to 36/38 seconds if you hit all the greats. Pretty neat :D !

seems fair enough, but 35% is just too much. I still think 50% efficiency shouldn't be possible, so buff it to 43/45%.

45 seconds of Self Caring (41± with an average of 2 skillchecks) is just TERRIBLE.

Comments

  • self care need to be .01% healing speed so new players wont destroy lobbies until they learn how to play the game.

  • @Batman781 said:

    self care need to be .01% healing speed so new players wont destroy lobbies until they learn how to play the game.

    New players will still use it lol

    What would that make it, like 10 minute healing? Everyone will be dead by the time they're done healing XD

  • I still don't think it needed a nerf at all. It was used so much because it is comfortable and reliable. I would definitely take it getting rebuffed to 40-45% though.

  • Self Care is a buff. You just think it's a survivor perk, when it was changed to a Killer perk. They can't code it to appear in the Killer perks yet because the client would crush.

  • Am I wrong in thinking that if self-care is weaker than CoH, then Micaela sales will rise?

  • @fake said:

    Am I wrong in thinking that if self-care is weaker than CoH, then Micaela sales will rise?

    Mikaela is pretty popular and she's only been around like 1 year. It's just that Claudette is free. And last week COH was in Shrine of Secrets.


    Also Mikaela's COH does require some map knowledge regarding totem spawns and if you're not that well acquainted with them it can be quite a time waster if someone just started using COH.


    And let's not forget that your own team can even give you a hard time if they start cleansing totems before you get to bless one.


    And I say this from my own experience as playing Mikaela or other times running Clairvoyance. I simply limit myself to 1 totem as I think it's a fair trade and try to make it to late game if I can to use Clairvoyance.

  • selfcare nerf beomce almost used in solo q, obviously in a swf you call to your mate "come to shack, let heal"

    selfcare wasnt any time a good perk but it was ok for solo q, bc you can heal yourself without anyone but bhvr say "hay lets destroy that Perk, what gone be used in solo q and help them a lot"said and done after all nerfs bhvr: "HUH ? why is the solo q unplayable now ? and in so many rounds dcs or survs they kill herself on the hook ?

    btw, bhvr before the nerf "we want to annoy perks that are often used (meta perks)", used, selfcare was never any good or even broken meta but bhvr nerfed it because it's used so often, then let's see bhvr selfcare is still in first place, if it's not hypocrisy then please nerf it again, or say you do something and then don't continue with it ? what about the "meta perks" like DH also still meta like scourge hook or other perks what's up bhvr ? why are all the broken perks, especially selfcare, not further nerfed ? we want answers !

    but hey it doesn't matter that people don't want to play dbd anymore because the solo q is unplayable and yes, dbd lives on the solo q you can clearly see how the numbers of activ-players are going down, including myself for almost 4 years I've been playing dbd and main solo q but there was never a time when matchmaking was so bad and not fun like now, almost every round someone kills themselves on the hook or dcing, enough is enough, bhvr take your time, slow down, don't rush solo q is just burning and the players run away from you not more

  • Self-Care can not be nerfed enough, i want to see 0 people using it. Take Inner Healing, for the love of Entity!

  • @Mat_Sella said:

    Self-Care can not be nerfed enough, i want to see 0 people using it. Take Inner Healing, for the love of Entity!

    The only way to effectively nerf the usage of self-care (as no doubt it was only nerfed because it was "meta", not its strength, ffs....) is to nerf its agency: The Ability to Heal at any time.

  • It's was done to promote CoH, CoH provided 50% speed just as Self Care, but you need to find and boon a totem. Guess what is easier and actually free? Right, just healing right away with a SC. so here you have a Self Care nerf.

  • But the nerf was good for survivors since you see more medkits now, which is far stronger. Also CoH or Inner Healing. If you play and invest BPs you more or less can't run out of medkits. There is no reason to use SC or ask for buffs, it's still inferior.

  • blame Mikaela 😂

  • @DBD78 said:

    But the nerf was good for survivors since you see more medkits now, which is far stronger. Also CoH or Inner Healing. If you play and invest BPs you more or less can't run out of medkits. There is no reason to use SC or ask for buffs, it's still inferior.

    I am half expecting devs will nerf both medkits and CoH as multiple killers are already complaining about them, but keep current self care the way it is.

    It wouldn't be 1st time

  • @fake said:

    Am I wrong in thinking that if self-care is weaker than CoH, then Micaela sales will rise?

    But she is just a couple thousand shards, nothing that you would have to dish out the big dough, a lot of players have 10s of thousands of shards that they don't know what to do with. I love me a good conspiracy theory, but this one here holds no water.

  • i had a thought. make self 50% like it used to be and give back the med kit efficiency but when you use the perk you are always have bleed status. also, does anyone else realize the "botany buff" is actually one of the biggest nerfs survivors have ever seen?

    having to go from 33% more efficient medkits to 20% less they should have added that while using a medkit you gain an additional 50% healing speed.

  • Yes thats true. You can better use CoH. There you can heal yourself at 50% speed, and its a bonus for the whole team.

    I dont understand why Selfcare is on 35% and Circle of healing (where the whole team benefits) is on 50%.