Can Camping a Three Gen and not chasing anyone ever count as holding the game hostage?

I decided to try a Three Gen defense build on Doctor, and it honestly felt like the game would never end if I just kept camping on three of them with my perks, addons, and power. I did eventually just commit to a chase and the rest of the game ended normally, but for a good amount of time I was just focusing on static blasting and Overcharging the last three generators, and I wonder if that could be bannable under holding the game hostage, similar to how survivors hiding for 20 minutes without doing objectives is (from what I've heard).

Comments

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3233440#Comment_3233440

    The killer's objective is to prevent the survivors from escaping, letting them do the generators while another survivor leads you to the killer shack is not going to help you do that.

    The game doesn't end if you 'prevent the survivors from escaping' for 3 hours, I really don't think that's their job more than killing them is.

  • @Grandpa_Crack_Pipe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3233449#Comment_3233449

    The game doesn't end if you 'prevent the survivors from escaping' for 3 hours, I really don't think that's their job more than killing them is.

    Actually latest patch they have it so have 1 hour (or 5 minutes once the EGC has started) the game will end, sacrificing all survivors and ending the match. So, the longest any game can ever go for now is 1 hour, even if hackers are trying to keep it open (allegedly, as this was the reason this change was made... I've not seen a recent streamer being held hostage to test it, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time if it hasn't happened already.)

  • @AbsolutGrndZer0 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3233456#Comment_3233456

    Actually latest patch they have it so have 1 hour (or 5 minutes once the EGC has started) the game will end, sacrificing all survivors and ending the match. So, the longest any game can ever go for now is 1 hour, even if hackers are trying to keep it open (allegedly, as this was the reason this change was made... I've not seen a recent streamer being held hostage to test it, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time if it hasn't happened already.)

    Wait, what? Where did they announce that?

  • The way I see it the survivors need to take the L. It's a stalemate if they don't touch the gens.

  • Used to have 3 gen stalemates a lot back in the day as trapper and GF, some lasted a good 20+ mins until either side slipped up. I wouldn't fully call it taking hostage but it can certainly seem like it if you refuse to go for the down and leave the gen area. Its effectively a stalemate

  • No it's not ,,but it's super boring way to win

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3233016#Comment_3233016

    Nah, 20 minutes is fine. They could prevent hiding by revealing auras of anyone who hasn't done anything to progress the game(for at least 60 seconds) after 120 seconds. So, if during those two minutes, someone doesn't at least work on a gen or cleanse a totem or open a chest for a combined time of 60 seconds (could be 30 seconds in the first minute and 30 seconds in the second), their aura is revealed. Devs could play around with the times.

    More than 20 minutes is just too long for a match. I'd rather let the entity kill me and get minimal points.

    Well if survivors auras are revealed then I can agree the timelimit can be shorter. But lot of my matches still last bit over 20 minutes so 25 minutes would be more suited timelimit. But I see one problem if survivors are sacrificed to entity when the match ends. Killers can find 3 gen area when match start and defend it for that 20-25 minutes and then get the win. So match should just end in draft.

  • @ASusSheep said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3233409#Comment_3233409

    I did start a few chases, but most of the time I just focused on kicking the gens. One of the survivors had Sprintburst, shack, and another nearby area that looked like it might be pretty strong, so I mostly just ignored her since I didn't think I could catch her efficiently at all. The other two who were focusing on the gen on the opposite side of the map(Torment Creek) had main building next to them, and it was also hard for me to see where they ran when I approached due to the cornfield, and I didn't chase them much either. I did start a chase with one of them, but dropped after getting a hit because I figured I would lose the gens if I committed to the down.

    I do think I over committed to the generators, but I'm not sure if it was reasonable strategy, poor sportsmanship, or perhaps a bit of both.

    I mean, I wouldn't say you were doing it intentionally. You were trying to win but didn't know how to go about it, same as the survivors. I wouldn't say you'd get banned for that.

  • @ASusSheep said:

    I decided to try a Three Gen defense build on Doctor, and it honestly felt like the game would never end if I just kept camping on three of them with my perks, addons, and power. I did eventually just commit to a chase and the rest of the game ended normally, but for a good amount of time I was just focusing on static blasting and Overcharging the last three generators, and I wonder if that could be bannable under holding the game hostage, similar to how survivors hiding for 20 minutes without doing objectives is (from what I've heard).

    The survivors did this to themselves,its their fault,so no...

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    If memory serves me correctly, I think a Forum Moderator confirmed if you excessively camp a 3-gen and don’t attempt to down a survivor, it could be counted as holding the game hostage. I’m too lazy to look up the quote tho, but I think it’s for an extended period such as 30 minutes.

    Im of the opinion that no match should last longer than 20 minutes. Devs should just make it to where the end game collapse starts at the 20 minute mark, irregardless of how many gens are done. This would solve the problem of excessively holding the game hostage for both sides and hackers holding everyone hostage (as long as it’s done on the server side).

    Lol it shouldn't just be down to the killer to decide when he commits to a chase in a three gen. If survivors aren't actively committing to gens & trying to make you follow them to the opposite side of the map for the escape then that's a survivor issue.

    Survivors should realise at this point they messed up and allowed the three gen to happen. It's basically a stalemate until one side decides enough is enough. In my opinion that should be the survivor team (but very rarely is) because they made the wrong play & created the situation in the first place by not paying attention to gen placement.

  • @Lost_Boy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3231802#Comment_3231802

    Lol it shouldn't just be down to the killer to decide when he commits to a chase in a three gen. If survivors aren't actively committing to gens & trying to make you follow them to the opposite side of the map for the escape then that's a survivor issue.

    Survivors should realise at this point they messed up and allowed the three gen to happen. It's basically a stalemate until one side decides enough is enough. In my opinion that should be the survivor team (but very rarely is) because they made the wrong play & created the situation in the first place by not paying attention to gen placement.

    Survivors can win 3 Gens (even against doctor) now that CoH is a thing. The unfortunate part is that said COH means that the killer can get locked in a stalemate if the survivors don't make any mistakes, which is how we get scenarios like the one here. Technically it was still possible with self care or a coordinated team before CoH, but that would have required said coordination or a significant portion of the survivors running said perk. As it is now, in terms of pure potential, 3 survivors can beat a 3 gen even against a killer build focusing on it specifically so long as they play it right and minimize their mistakes. Its just a long and obnoxious battle for both sides.

  • @Lost_Boy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3231802#Comment_3231802

    Lol it shouldn't just be down to the killer to decide when he commits to a chase in a three gen. If survivors aren't actively committing to gens & trying to make you follow them to the opposite side of the map for the escape then that's a survivor issue.

    Survivors should realise at this point they messed up and allowed the three gen to happen. It's basically a stalemate until one side decides enough is enough. In my opinion that should be the survivor team (but very rarely is) because they made the wrong play & created the situation in the first place by not paying attention to gen placement.

    I’m not disagreeing with you. I was just stating what the devs/mods have decided. I’m of the opinion that there should just be a 20 minute time limit and the EGC should start. Would fix the issue with games going on too long and hackers holding people hostage.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3232270#Comment_3232270

    This could be a neat way to implement their new mori system, instead of what we got in the PTB.

    After ~20 the game goes into some kind of 'sudden death' mode. You get ~4 minutes, the first survivor to go down is instantly Mori'd, everyone else who isn't down/hooked escapes. If no one is downed by the end of those ~4 minutes then it ends with a null state, like 4 hatch escapes or something.

    Something like this but with giving the survivors buffs could work. Survivors get faster generator speeds and generally faster actions, but the killer becomes more deadly. Just something that makes camping your 3 gen not the best strategy.

    As it is right now, camping a 3 gen especially with overcharge/CoB/Eruption isn't holding the game hostage, but it's definitely not fun gameplay and, when I've been the survivor in this situation, has made me want to just run to the killer, tell them to hook me, and get to my next game rather than play that way. When I've done this as killer, I just start to feel bad for the survivors because they're not having fun and I'm not having fun so I'll commit to a bad chase just so the game will end and we can all leave.

    But, this is more of a map/perk design problem than a player problem. They're not holding the game hostage and not breaking any rules. It's just miserable gameplay that, if you get lucky, you get a 3 gen that's reasonably close to each other, turn it into a dead zone early in the game, and then just don't leave it.

1 2 ›